PDA

View Full Version : C&R+COE= multiple handguns on one DROS?

timdps
04-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Does the C&R+COE combo allow multiple C&R handguns on one DROS form?

ke6guj
04-03-2009, 10:21 AM
my guess would be no. YOu'd have to do one DROS per handgun, just like you do for multiple PPT handguns, IIRC. You'd just be able to take them home immediately, and would be exempt from the one handgun a month BS (except for places like LA city).

domokun
04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
my guess would be no. YOu'd have to do one DROS per handgun, just like you do for multiple PPT handguns, IIRC. You'd just be able to take them home immediately, and would be exempt from the one handgun a month BS (except for places like LA city).

+1 on this. You're right on the money as usual. :)

CHS
04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
There is no way at all in the DROS software to do multiple handguns. Period.

DROS is tied into the California handgun registration system, one DROS, one handgun registration. That's it.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

timdps
04-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks all!

Looks like a trip up to Reno later this month might be the way to go...

tim

leitung
04-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I believe that if it's a PPT or Consignment that they can run 2 DROS, but they have to seperate, no the same.. Am I right?
Because you can PPT 2 handguns at one time because the 1 in 30 does not apply.

kap
04-03-2009, 12:19 PM
There is no way at all in the DROS software to do multiple handguns. Period.

DROS is tied into the California handgun registration system, one DROS, one handgun registration. That's it.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

I don't think this is correct information. You can use an X13 exemption to enter multiple handguns at the same time for FFL03 and COE holders. Likewise there are exemptions for multiple handgun purchases for police officers and others.

ke6guj
04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't think this is correct information. You can use an X13 exemption to enter multiple handguns at the same time for FFL03 and COE holders. Likewise there are exemptions for multiple handgun purchases for police officers and others.
right, but AFAIK, each handgun would be DROSed individually, so that the information can be entered into AFS. That officer would do one DROS for each handgun, with his exemption code entered into the system to prevent the multiple DROSes from kicking back as a 1-in-30-day violation.

There isn't a multi-handgun DROS where you enter in multiple handguns and submit them all at once.

Santa Cruz Armory
04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
So say I want to buy 5 pistols from a friends collection, does that mean I have to pay $35x5? Can I PPT them all at the same time? I have a C&R just not a COE...yet.

domokun
04-03-2009, 1:02 PM
So say I want to buy 5 pistols from a friends collection, does that mean I have to pay $35x5? Can I PPT them all at the same time? I have a C&R just not a COE...yet.

Not sure about the fees but PPTs are exempt from the 1 in 30 day rule regardless if they're C&R. The 1 in 30 day rule only applies to dealer sales.

ke6guj
04-03-2009, 1:05 PM
Firearms dealers are required to process private party transfers upon request. Firearms dealers may charge a fee not to exceed $10 per firearm for conducting a private party transfer. Example:

For a private party transfer involving one or more handguns, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00 for the first handgun and $31.00 for each additional handgun involved in the same transaction.
For private party transfers involving one or more long guns, or a private party transfer involving one handgun, the total allowable fees, including the DROS, safety, and dealer transfer fees, are not to exceed $35.00. The dealer may charge an additional dealer-service fee of$10.00 per each additional firearm transferred.

So, you are looking at $35+31+31+31+31. Yes, you can PPT them all at the same time. PPTs are exempt from the 1-in-30-day restriction

C&R FFL only helps you if they are C&R handguns, AND you have the COE. With C&R+COE, you should be able to cash-and-carry after DROS any C&R firearms.

CHS
04-03-2009, 1:06 PM

Yes. Although, it's basically 25$ each DROS and 10$ for the first PPT, but I believe only 7$ each for the rest.

Edit: Looks like I was off by 1$

kap
04-03-2009, 1:39 PM
right, but AFAIK, each handgun would be DROSed individually, so that the information can be entered into AFS. That officer would do one DROS for each handgun, with his exemption code entered into the system to prevent the multiple DROSes from kicking back as a 1-in-30-day violation.

There isn't a multi-handgun DROS where you enter in multiple handguns and submit them all at once.

Ah yes, that is how I remember it. Thanks for refreshing my memory. :thumbsup:

Although I will have to check to see if I paid a DROS fee for each gun.

swhatb
04-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Does the C&R+COE combo allow multiple C&R handguns on one DROS form?

C&R + COE allows multiple handgun purchases per month, there is an exception code. You could buy 5 sprinfields in a month. C&R + COE exempts the one handgun per month rule. DOJ frounds on this but its within policy.

joaoalegre
04-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Funny how even LEOs have almost all the red-tape as an average citizen here in Komiefornia, and the average AZ citizen has LOTS more flexibility than a KA's LEO.

mcubed4130
04-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Uhmm... do you guys means fees wise? or paperwork wise?

I DROS'd 6 C&Rs the other week (shipping in from an out of state FFL) at my local FFL01... I had a ton of fees to pay "X" for the 1st gun; "X-Y" for the 2nd, 3rd, etc... + their fee... but when all was said and done; I handed the FFL01 my money; and walked out with all my handguns that day (I have a FFL03 and a COE).

-M3