View Full Version : Bringing firearms in from out-of-state

04-03-2009, 7:47 AM
I'm sure this has been covered, but I didn't find anything posted. If there is a thread already feel free to point me there.

My question is about bringing firearms into CA that one legally posesses from out of state.

What is the proceedure for registering them in CA, be it handguns or long guns? You can skip the AW/OLL stuff....I know about that stuff already. I'm thinking more along the lines of handguns, shotguns, or perhaps other hunting type rifles.

Thanks all in advance and TGIF!!!:thumbsup:

04-03-2009, 8:51 AM
Firearms Information for New California Residents

Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

* Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.
* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

* Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.

Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.

California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.

Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g)).

04-03-2009, 9:13 AM
Cool! Thanks for the info.....that's what I needed to know! :thumbsup:

04-03-2009, 9:20 AM
For some reason I was thinking you had to surrender your guns while they did a fresh DOJ check on you and made you wait 10 days to get them back.

So it's just sending in the form and some money huh? Still sucks but not that bad.....but not that good either.