View Full Version : quick question

04-02-2009, 7:08 PM
hey all, sorry for a noobish question. ive been doing so much research on weapons laws that i get confused sometimes. im going to yosemite soon, what is and is not acceptable as far as firearms in a national park? as far as i remember, it is ok for me to keep my rifle or pistol unloaded and in the trunk. yes or no and what else do i need to know???

04-02-2009, 9:14 PM
Old rule dissassembled or otherwise disabled locked case or similar empty/unloaded not enough don't ask me how I know but Yosemite staff is pretty agressive on this it is how they get road crew weekends all summer! Rule was to be changed to prevailing state rules but now thats held up by court order so be careful! better yet leave em home.

Dark Paladin
04-02-2009, 9:39 PM
Like to extend that question a bit further. We will be camping at Bass Lake (within Sierra NF), and possibly go hiking in Yosemite during the day. I was planning to carry while in the campsite, and given the latest court ruling will probably leave pistol locked up in the car when we go hiking.

Am I taking enough proper precautions, or should I just scrap the whole carrying idea?

04-03-2009, 1:32 PM
National Forests are a far more forgiving setting re personal arms, on your person in your campsite is generally ok, unloaded open carry might be ok elsewhere in the fores but not in the park. probably should check the rules when you get your fire permit etc....