PDA

View Full Version : My implementation of LUCC...

sfwdiy
04-02-2009, 3:35 PM
After reading through the thread regarding locked container carry (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163061), I decided to see how workable this would be for myself.

I've put together a short video showing my implementation of locked, unloaded concealed carry. I've tried to carefully stay within the guidelines that have been hashed out in the above thread and others.

As always, this is not legal advice. I am not suggesting you do anything with this information, I am simply presenting it.

Librarian has put together a fairly good synopsis of this topic here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2260581&postcount=153

Just to reiterate, Librarian is not your lawyer and neither am I. None of this constitutes legal advice.

Feel free to let me know what you think, and please tell me if I've missed anything.

--B

MCOF4U-RgEs

ad6mj
04-02-2009, 3:44 PM
The day planner inside the laptop case seems redundant and would slow access. Why not just inside the locked laptop case?

sfwdiy
04-02-2009, 3:47 PM
The day planner inside the laptop case seems redundant and would slow access. Why not just inside the locked laptop case?

I couldn't find an easy way to keep the pistol and the mag from flopping around loose in the case, which would potentially bang up the gun as well as making it more difficult to draw and load. If the pistol was just loose in that front pocket you'd be able to tell what it was if you put your hand in the main compartment. I think it just keeps everything as low-profile as possible this way.

--B

Librarian
04-02-2009, 4:16 PM
Fascinating! Nicely done.:thumbsup:

Another consideration on accessibility: this mode of carry is really not meant to allow one to out-draw somebody. It's probably going to be much slower than ankle carry or maybe Thunderwear, or other 'deep cover' carry method, especially with the load-later requirement.

Someone considering this will have his or her own motivation; deciding whether slow access meets those needs will be an individual decision.

And like some have experienced with UOC, some skepticism on the legality may reasonably be expected during a LEO contact.

I judge such a contact to be somewhat unlikely. If LEO were noticing all the people carrying, none of the Bad Guys would escape the attention of our alert minions of public safety. We know that such is not the case.

sfwdiy
04-02-2009, 4:28 PM
I judge such a contact to be somewhat unlikely. If LEO were noticing all the people carrying, none of the Bad Guys would escape the attention of our alert minions of public safety. We know that such is not the case.

This is exactly what I'm going for. As Obi-Wan once said, "I'd like to avoid any....Imperial entanglements."

--B

cineski
04-02-2009, 4:56 PM
What about a subcompact, unloaded, that's locked into a fannypack or other pouch on your belt?

Librarian
04-02-2009, 5:02 PM
What about a subcompact, unloaded, that's locked into a fannypack or other pouch on your belt?

Off to the original (or, most recent) thread - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=163061

It's a long discussion; anyone considering LUCC needs to invest the time before deciding if it is a good idea for him/her self.

sfwdiy
04-02-2009, 5:04 PM

I think this could work, but there's two problems with it that I see.

First, a fanny-pack on a grown man screams "gun," unless you otherwise look like the kind of doofus that would rock a fanny pack. Plus, a padlock on it would probably be just enough to draw more negative(LE) attention to it.

Second, anything else that would attach to the belt in such a manner would immediately stand out to me as unusual. Probably to a cop, also. My setup as shown above is designed to be as low profile as humanly possible. The downside is that it's not as quick to access. However, I could walk around in a mall or down Sunset Blvd. with that bag and never attract a second glance.

--B

tba02
04-02-2009, 5:29 PM

The OP references my own "travel pack" for safe travel to and from the range (I ride a motorcycle most of the time). I have been meaning to post pictures and now I feel I must get off my butt too.

I also have a PacSafe 'fanny pack' (that is really a front belly pack for me). I'll try and add a few pictures of that setup as well as soon as I can. It's a fully secure container that also includes a steel cable in the waistband to avoid nefarious folks w/ cutting devices). The lock is concealed as well.

I have frequently used it when traveling w/o a pistol and never really thought I was screaming I was armed - head in the clouds or just the attitude of 'not' carrying, not sure (i'm not too - too ignorant to notice)

Timberline
04-02-2009, 6:11 PM
Excellent and creative solution. I would need to remember that the L&U pistol is there before I head to the airport, or to the Courthouse, but it's pretty good inconspicuous solution.

tba02
04-02-2009, 6:20 PM
I was remiss however, nice presentation! I thought that part but just realized I did mention it.

ad6mj
04-02-2009, 6:50 PM
Yes, sorry I forgot also to mention, very nice presentation. Better accessibility would be nice though. I like how the lock on yours disappears and it's a common looking case. It would be nice to have one where the foam was built into the laptop case and there was a holster and mag pouch attached inside. I've seen some nice concealment type cases but they have lacked the lockability function.

sfwdiy
04-02-2009, 6:52 PM
Yes, sorry I forgot also to mention, very nice presentation. Better accessibility would be nice though. I like how the lock on yours disappears and it's a common looking case. It would be nice to have one where the foam was built into the laptop case and there was a holster and mag pouch attached inside. I've seen some nice concealment type cases but they have lacked the lockability function.

I might further alter the setup to see if I can pad that compartment and somehow stow the firearm securely. Not a bad idea.

--B

TheBundo
04-02-2009, 9:42 PM
As others have said, nice effort. I see some problems, some mentioned, some not (I think), but that doesn't mean it's not legal and noble.

One problem is that your laptop bag really doesn't look like a businessman's laptop bag, but instead has an almost military look to it, hence possibly attracting unwanted attention from any number of sources, particularily LEO's and security guards, even paranoid citizens, etc. Even though it's legal, who needs the hassle, and LEO's don't need to waste time on such things, right?

Too many layers of access. A simple case with a BUILT-IN combo lock, with only one of the numbers spun a number or two off, is much easier to get at, in addition to being much less conspicuous than something with a padlock (though your padlock was hidden, the "ammo bag" look may attract LEO attention (particularily given your age and look), and then if they see the padlock and all the pouches, etc. - it just doesn't look professional).

Good effort, I'll give you a "B", okay? :thumbsup: But you can do better, I'll bet. :thumbsup:

As to the fanny pack people and nay-sayers, some people may look normal with one, others look like they are packing. Part of LUCC is that it look right for your demographic. For the OP, the look of that particular laptop case is the biggest thing that may trigger something, IMO

TatankaGap
04-03-2009, 8:53 AM
LUCC is the way to go until AB 357 gets passed; there is a CA law that allows a person in reasonable fear of threat to his property or person to carry. I probably look like a doofus with or without a fanny pack but who cares as you're in hippie central anyway. If you get to the non-hippie parts of CA, you're probably in an unincorporated area and can carry openly and loaded.

Get that AB 357 through and CA will become worth visiting again without so much hassle - maybe even get shall issue nonresident some day, yes? ;)

Untamed1972
04-03-2009, 9:00 AM
unless you otherwise look like the kind of doofus that would rock a fanny pack.--B

:punk: Rockin' the fanny pack bro!! :rofl2:

Untamed1972
04-03-2009, 9:04 AM
I might further alter the setup to see if I can pad that compartment and somehow stow the firearm securely. Not a bad idea.

--B

That's what I was thinking after watching your video clip. Just take the foam padding you used in the CD case, perhaps glue the edges together with some 3M contact spray adhesive so it's kinda like an envelope, glued on 3 sides, open on the top, and place just that inside the compartment on your laptop case so all you'd hafta do is unlock and open the zipper on laptop case and reach in for the goodies. I would think the "foam envelope" would hold the items sercurely in place.

editted to add: I was thinking on your CD case, if you were to punch and crimp a metal grommet in the spine area of the case you could put a lock thru the zipper pull and then thru the grommet so you could lock just the CD case if you want to carry just that for some reason. Just a thought.

Untamed1972
04-03-2009, 9:09 AM
One problem is that your laptop bag really doesn't look like a businessman's laptop bag, but instead has an almost military look to it, hence possibly attracting unwanted attention from any number of sources, particularily LEO's and security guards, even paranoid citizens, etc. Even though it's legal, who needs the hassle, and LEO's don't need to waste time on such things, right?

(though your padlock was hidden, the "ammo bag" look may attract LEO attention (particularily given your age and look), and then if they see the padlock and all the pouches, etc. - it just doesn't look professional).

For the OP, the look of that particular laptop case is the biggest thing that may trigger something, IMO

Well judging from the OP's "look" in the video he doesnt exactly look like a "suit & tie" businessman anyway. I think you're overthinking (paranoia) the attention his case would attract. That style of bag/case/backpack is quite common in these times of cargo pants/shorts and similar styles. I wouldn't think anything of it. I would think that an "alt-rock" lookin' kinda guy like the OP in the video would stand out more carrying a stardard briefcase or wearing a fanny pack.

sfwdiy
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
That's what I was thinking after watching your video clip. Just take the foam padding you used in the CD case, perhaps glue the edges together with some 3M contact spray adhesive so it's kinda like an envelope, glued on 3 sides, open on the top, and place just that inside the compartment on your laptop case so all you'd hafta do is unlock and open the zipper on laptop case and reach in for the goodies. I would think the "foam envelope" would hold the items sercurely in place.

That's funny, I actually had the exact same idea earlier last night and set it up perfectly. No need to zip or glue anything, I just put the CD wallet into the bag open side up. Works like a pocket holster. It holds the pistol in place inside the compartment but won't pull loose on the draw. Here's the video:

--B

LTiTSaFZQ9c

ad6mj
04-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Definitely allows for much better access.

Untamed1972
04-03-2009, 2:33 PM
That's funny, I actually had the exact same idea earlier last night and set it up perfectly. No need to zip or glue anything, I just put the CD wallet into the bag open side up. Works like a pocket holster. It holds the pistol in place inside the compartment but won't pull loose on the draw. Here's the video:

--B

Even better and easier! Good job! :thumbsup:

I like leaving the slide locked open also cuz then all you gotta do is pop in mag and drop slide and your cocked, locked and ready to rock! :punk:

I was just thinkin' to bad you or someone carrying like that wasn't in NY to stop that shooter today. That's all it would take. One person in a situation like that to be able to return immediate (or nearly immediate) fire.

gvazquez
04-03-2009, 5:27 PM
today I went to wal mart to look for some kind of case that doesnt look out of the ordinary... but the CD cases were a little too big for my taste, so I kept looking up and down the aisles and finally came up on a first aid kit bag for $13 so I thought it was just the right size for my needs...and also picked up a matching color lock

BTW, This is a hard shell type of soft case, so you cant "feel" whats inside at all *wink*wink*

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC001.jpg

Coincidence?

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC003.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC004.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC008.jpg
For Size reference
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC009.jpg

sfwdiy
04-03-2009, 7:00 PM
today I went to wal mart to look for some kind of case that doesnt look out of the ordinary... but the CD cases were a little too big for my taste, so I kept looking up and down the aisles and finally came up on a first aid kit bag for $13 so I thought it was just the right size for my needs...and also picked up a matching color lock

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/artkrime/LUCC001.jpg

Awesome! It appears I've started something!

--B

ad6mj
04-03-2009, 7:20 PM
I love the "Be Smart Get Prepared"! Soft cases meet the locked requirement. However, a hard case might be more advantageous. If you should happen to have an encounter with an LEO, and they can feel the handgun, would that give them PC to check unloaded status? If during an encounter they discover a locked hard case, they have no idea as to the contents and as long as you keep your mouth shut, what PC would they have for a search?

gvazquez
04-03-2009, 11:23 PM
I love the "Be Smart Get Prepared"! Soft cases meet the locked requirement. However, a hard case might be more advantageous. If you should happen to have an encounter with an LEO, and they can feel the handgun, would that give them PC to check unloaded status? If during an encounter they discover a locked hard case, they have no idea as to the contents and as long as you keep your mouth shut, what PC would they have for a search?

I forgot to mention that it actually IS one of those hard shell ones, so theres NO WAY you could feel ANYTHING

kittyhawk63
10-16-2010, 1:47 PM
However, I could walk around in a mall or down Sunset Blvd. with that bag and never attract a second glance. --B

Especially if it looked more like a school bag and not some camouflaged commando armor cache.

Rossi357
10-16-2010, 2:04 PM
I use one of these. Available at Harbor Freight.

N6ATF
10-16-2010, 2:23 PM
Because carrying around a metal 'book' isn't conspicuous at all?

http://img.printfection.com/14/106617/gd9au.jpg

ArtP88
10-16-2010, 2:32 PM
I love the idea and the creative nature to find a solution to our oppressive laws. I have considered hard-mounting a Gun Vault (the trademark finger combo safe) container in my vehicle.

I have something to add... I believe this requires training with an empty container before going live. We have a tendency to treat backpacks, briefcases and other containers rather casual. That is to say, most of us don't tend to keep such containers close to our person at all times. You will look "funny" keeping such a container with you everywhere, unless you're a student.

Imagine you're in your line of work, no matter what you do, where you carry that container everywhere you go.... To vehicle to get tools, bathroom, a quick chat at a co-workers space, called to a location for a meeting or assistance. Or during private time; kids sporting events, out to dinner, friends house. Keeping that container in sight or arms length becomes a serious problem unless you've trained your mind.

I think before it is practiced live, an empty container should be practiced. I think it might be like the teen-age lesson of carrying around a crying baby doll, that is meant to teach teenagers what it feels like to care for an infant 24/7/365.

In the end, it might become a burden that is abandoned because of the inconvenience.

choprzrul
10-16-2010, 3:05 PM
Here is what I did:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/ccw1.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/ccw2.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/ccw3.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/ccw4.jpg

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac214/choprzrul/ccw5.jpg

TBJ didn't like it when I originally posted these pictures in another thread, but I have not had any problems since I started carrying it. That is a 3 digit Master combo lock that I can set my own combo for. I typically lock it by moving the last number by 1 digit or moving all 3 by one digit. I usually get to work long before the sun comes up, so I practice unlocking, unzipping, loading mag, rack slide, and chamber check in darkness. The gun and spare mags go in a lock box that fits nearly exactly in one of my desk drawers. If a customer comes in, I merely lower the lid on the box and slide my drawer shut, but leave it unlocked. I have slid this planner in my briefcase when I am working in the field in shady parts (which is most of) Santa Maria. Better to have a weapon that is slow to deploy than no weapon at all, IMHO.

Rossi357
10-16-2010, 3:44 PM
Because carrying around a metal 'book' isn't conspicuous at all?

http://img.printfection.com/14/106617/gd9au.jpg

I don't carry it around, I keep it behind the seat, or on the back seat. Once I get to my destination, I carry.