PDA

View Full Version : Out-of-stater looking to purchase a long gun

Quemtimebo
04-02-2009, 4:12 PM
Hi everybody. My wife and I are planning to purchase a Marlin 70PSS in the near future. I've lived in California as a student for the past several years, but I have not officially switched my residency from Washington State and still hold a Washington State driver's license. My vehicle is registered to me in Washington as well.

Am I going to run into trouble? I really like being free of state income tax, emissions regulations, etc...

CHS
04-02-2009, 5:00 PM
To buy a long gun or receiver in California you must have a California ID. To buy a handgun in California you must prove California residence (vehicle registration, utility bill, etc).

You could probably go to the DMV and just get a California ID card and keep your Washington License and what not. That would allow you to purchase long guns.

That, plus a utility bill in your name to a home/apt address in CA would satisfy the residency requirements for a handgun.

With that said, will the above WORK? Probably. Will the above be LEGAL? Probably not to the letter of the law.

Legally speaking, if you LIVE here you are required to have a CA DL and vehicle registration and change your residency. As much fun you're having cheating the system, it's not really fair to the rest of us. Next time don't brag about the taxes you're NOT paying.

Gp100
04-02-2009, 5:09 PM
I'm glad your not paying these crazy taxes here in California,screw these politicians who rape us for these social service programs.Dude never under any
conditions get a CA drivers license,If you do you will loose about 30% of your rights instantly,you will also start paying the highest tax rate in the country,and for what? I get nothing from those thieving hoar's in Sacramento. I'm sick off it.

Quemtimebo
04-02-2009, 5:36 PM
To buy a long gun or receiver in California you must have a California ID. To buy a handgun in California you must prove California residence (vehicle registration, utility bill, etc).

You could probably go to the DMV and just get a California ID card and keep your Washington License and what not. That would allow you to purchase long guns.

That, plus a utility bill in your name to a home/apt address in CA would satisfy the residency requirements for a handgun.

With that said, will the above WORK? Probably. Will the above be LEGAL? Probably not to the letter of the law.

Legally speaking, if you LIVE here you are required to have a CA DL and vehicle registration and change your residency. As much fun you're having cheating the system, it's not really fair to the rest of us. Next time don't brag about the taxes you're NOT paying.

Forgive me if it sounded like bragging. My understanding upon moving here was that I wouldn't have to change anything in regards to residency so long as I was a full-time student. Heck I even got all my withholding back from CA last year. Honestly not out to scam the system. I just don't want to pay taxes I don't have to.

But since it looks like my wife and I will be here forever anyway I'm just going to get a driver's license tomorrow and make it easier on all of us.

CHS
04-02-2009, 5:41 PM
Forgive me if it sounded like bragging. My understanding upon moving here was that I wouldn't have to change anything in regards to residency so long as I was a full-time student. Heck I even got all my withholding back from CA last year. Honestly not out to scam the system. I just don't want to pay taxes I don't have to.

No worries, I glossed over the Student part :)

asgalindez
04-02-2009, 5:48 PM
Why not dual residency?

Washington State has much friendlier gun laws than we do. Just buy a rifle in WA that's CA legal. Bring it back and forth with you. You can bring something back to PPT to me, too!

DDT
04-02-2009, 8:42 PM
Why not dual residency?

Because all he will get in return is a tax bill. And the ability to sell you an off roster handgun. Not much incentive.

E Pluribus Unum
04-03-2009, 1:47 AM

But since it looks like my wife and I will be here forever anyway I'm just going to get a driver's license tomorrow and make it easier on all of us.

As a full time student, you don't have to switch over. California law allows you to retain your original DL.

Unless of course you want to buy a gun.

Welcome to draconian state and federal laws regarding guns. That is about to change though.