PDA

View Full Version : My jump into reloading ...

Gator Monroe
04-02-2009, 9:57 AM
Picked up a set of Dies .223 & 45acp (Complete) , Hornaday Powder Scale,Powder measure & funnel,Case Lubricant &pad,Vernier Caliper & case Length gage,Deburring tool,RCBSTrimmer,Case blocks,Reloading press,Shell holder,case blocks,priming arm, Ram,powder trickler,Turbo tumbler & Sierra Bullets Second Edition Reloading manual and later today I'm going to get Primer pocket reamer & cleaner & case neck brush & perhaps some neck reamers & a turner:thumbsup:

reidnez
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm thinking of getting into reloading myself...it's one of those "where the heck do I start?" situations. I'm afraid I would end up buying the wrong gear or getting ripped off or blowing up a rifle, because I don't know much about it.

Rick530
04-02-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm thinking of getting into reloading myself...it's one of those "where the heck do I start?" situations. I'm afraid I would end up buying the wrong gear or getting ripped off or blowing up a rifle, because I don't know much about it.

I'm in the same boat. Would liek to get into this but dont have a clue wtf I'm doing. Woudl be nice to find someone local to me to show me the ins and outs of this....

Saigon1965
04-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Guys are really helpful around here - Post up a thread asking if anyone in your area willing to help -

I'm in the same boat. Would liek to get into this but dont have a clue wtf I'm doing. Woudl be nice to find someone local to me to show me the ins and outs of this....

Gator Monroe
04-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Picked up a set of Dies .223 & 45acp (Complete) , Hornaday Powder Scale,Powder measure & funnel,Case Lubricant &pad,Vernier Caliper & case Length gage,Deburring tool,RCBSTrimmer,Case blocks,Reloading press,Shell holder,case blocks,priming arm, Ram,powder trickler,Turbo tumbler & Sierra Bullets Second Edition Reloading manual and later today I'm going to get Primer pocket reamer & cleaner & case neck brush & perhaps some neck reamers & a turner:thumbsup:

This is about 80% of what I will need (I think) other than Powders & primers & supplies , have lotsa 45acp BRASS & 2000 rounds of Winchester bullets in the 100 count plastic baggies to start my supplies (and a line on powders locally) I'm going to wing it and get everything first then learn as I go !(The Sierra bullets Reloading Manual IS VERY HELPFULL ...

Gator Monroe
04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
lOOKED IN BOX FARTHER AND FOUND 2 Lee auto prime kits (Large Rifle & Small) and 2 extra auto prime connecting rods , jeez I hope I can pick this reloading up quickly so I can use all this stuff ...

skkeeter
04-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I have several reloading manuals and the new Lyman is my favorite. Check it out. For all of you who don't have a clue on where to start. Just pick up a reloading manual and start reading. This site has great reloading data for you Gator,
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

fonionrings
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM

Check this thread, it's full of goodies: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=158086

5hundo
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I've been reloading with my Dad since I was a kid. Honestly, I've had just as many problems with factory and surplus ammo than I have with my reloads...

Just start our with a single stage press like an RCBS "rock chucker" and dies. You'll need a powder scale, a set of calipers (that go to at least hundredths of an inch), a powder funnel, a case holder for whatever cartridge that you're reloading and your materials (powder, primers, projectiles and brass)...

You can polish cases by hand, if you're just starting out but a tumbler is also a good investment (because Carpal Tunnel sucks). You can find a small one for about $50. Harbor freight carries them and Midwayusa.com usually has some on sale...

If you shop around, you can get into it for an initial investment of a few hundred bucks. Lots of guys sell off their single stage presses to upgrade to a prgressive setup, so you can find all sorts of used stuff out there. You'll make back the few hundred bucks in a few thousand rounds, one you get squared away.

If ammo prices and availability keep going the way they're going, you really can't afford not to get into it...

mvpatriot
04-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Also new to reloading myself, but got my feet wet with the RCBS Supreme kit ($300-$350) wich has most of the basics you will need including a really nice Speer manual. Only other things you really need are components and calipers.

Once I completely grasped the basics of reloading, I decided to get a progressive.

EDIT: Obviously I agree with the above poster!

reidnez
04-02-2009, 11:03 AM
If ammo prices and availability keep going the way they're going, you really can't afford not to get into it...

Exactly. I would love to stop donating my brass to the range and start re-using it. I buy .223 by the thousand so I think I'd recoup my reloading investment pretty quickly.

bcrich
04-02-2009, 3:28 PM
All you Sandiego peeps should get with the chief and hit'um up for a reloading intro, he has offered his knowledge to his comrades before...maybe buy him a beer or a pound of varget for his time!

Lancear15
04-02-2009, 3:37 PM
Barnwood arms in Ripon offers a free reloading class and 10% off reloading equipment after you take the class. You might want to look around for classes in your area at ranges or gun shops. For NorCal people, RCBS isn't to far north of Sacramento. They have a store at the factory and I'm sure they will answer all your questions.

dwh100
04-02-2009, 4:52 PM
I've got a rock chucker, 2 12g progressives and of bunch of components, but nobody to learn from, so the stuff sits in the garage collecting dust.

Any good classes to be found near the Long Beach area?

mvpatriot
04-02-2009, 4:55 PM
I've got a rock chucker, 2 12g progressives and of bunch of components, but nobody to learn from, so the stuff sits in the garage collecting dust.

Any good classes to be found near the Long Beach area?

dude, get out there and DO IT!
Get yourself a decent manual (or look online for free)
Prep your brass or whatever..
then weigh out correct charges according to said manual
Pretty basic actually.

Gator Monroe
04-02-2009, 5:00 PM
I'm going full steam buying stuff (without any tutiledge) got 600 more rounds of Winchester 22 (.223) bullets for reloading and 400 rounds of Hornaday .308 bullets too (I'm not into .308 yet but the price was right ) . Heck hoarding reloading components & supplies is fun too ...

Twinspool
04-02-2009, 5:59 PM
My Dad had a Rock Chucker and assorted bits new in box from 1978 (!) so I blew the dust off and got to work.

For you fellas trying to get in now, Good f'in luck. Craigslist is more "wanted" than "for sale" when it comes to reloading due to the recent usurpation of our highest office. That doesn't mean it's impossible though just have to pay more and look harder. Primers are tough to find. I've cleaned out the Sportsman's Whorehouse in Rocklin once so far.

A few thoughts for you guys thinking about reloading:

Get a good bench, not a card table, a bench. Must be solid and stable.
You'll need more bits and pieces than you think. Make a COMPLETE list before you decide whether or not it's worth it. That means down to the media you'll need to tumble with and the case lube you might forget. It all adds up. If you're thinkin' rifle, remember that there's extra steps like case trimming and deburring. It's not hard, just another process.
Get some nitrile gloves, cheap and help reduce the chances of lead contamination (metallic lead doesn't have the greatest bioavailability, the lead staphynate in the primers you'll be decapping by the thousand do.)

I really like Hornady so far. Those guys make a rockin' product and their "Get Loaded" promotion is nice too.

Get a good powder measure and scale. Remember the saying "Trust but verify."? It applies to case charging too.

I've cranked out ~ 500 .44 mags, 50 500 S&W and 150 .38 specials so far. All have been excellent.