PDA

View Full Version : S.D. County Sheriff Kolender steps down & retires!!!

jmlivingston
04-01-2009, 8:25 PM
http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/ut_polblog/index.html

Sheriff to announce retirement

Sheriff Bill Kolender is stepping down, he has told the San Diego County Board of Supervisors.
The sheriff, 73, has served for 15 years. His departure allows the board members, if they choose, to appoint a replacement who could run as an incumbent in 2010 (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080713/news_1m13sheriff.html). The sheriff's department is preparing a news release on the matter this evening, after The San Diego Union-Tribune confirmed his early departure. Check back for a full story shortly.
The sheriff had told the U-T (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20071013/news_1n13sheriff.html) in 2007 that he intended to serve out his complete his fourth term.
I highly suggest that you who are residents of San Diego rally around a pro-CCW candidate and let your board of supervisors know who to appoint! Last thing you want is somebody like we got up here in the OC.

John

LOW2000
04-01-2009, 8:46 PM
Please oh please let them pick Jay LaSuer.

rynando
04-01-2009, 8:59 PM
I’m pretty sure this is exactly what a lot of people thought would happen. He’ll retire a little early and have the BOS appoint his undersheriff to the position. That way there’s not an open seat to fill in the 2010 election. I don’t think an incumbent Sheriff has ever lost an election in San Diego County so it’s an easy way of keeping the riff-raff out of the “big chair.”

R

hoffmang
04-01-2009, 9:06 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll appoint Bill Gore.

-Gene

berto
04-01-2009, 9:07 PM
Nice way to subvert the process and maintain the old boy status quo.

pullnshoot25
04-01-2009, 9:37 PM
YES!

GuyW
04-01-2009, 9:52 PM
It appears that William "Ruby Ridge" Gore's (and Kolender's) handlers don't think Gore can win a race on his merits, and have to pull this end run of the democratic process.

We must immediately inundate the Board of Supervisors with a demand of NO APPOINTMENT of Gore as Sheriff.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=167834&highlight=ruby

GuyW
04-01-2009, 10:07 PM
NO APPOINTMENT of Gore as Sheriff - let them hear from you!

Supervisors:

Greg Cox
greg.cox@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5511

Dianne Jacob
dianne.jacob@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5522

Pam Slater-Price
pam.slater@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5533

Ron Roberts
ron-roberts@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5544

Bill Horn
bill.horn@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5555

DDT
04-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Any chance the BoS will leave the position open until the next scheduled election in SD county? Let Billy play acting sheriff but don't give him the title so that he cannot run as the incumbent? Be sure to remind the board of what a SNAFU Orange County had with their appointee.

N6ATF
04-02-2009, 12:36 AM
E-mail sent.

joaoalegre
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
At first I thought this Thread was meant as an April Fools Joke.

bigcalidave
04-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Lol, It's not??

GuyW
04-02-2009, 12:52 AM
"County supervisors reached Wednesday said they have the authority to appoint a successor or call a special election to fill the vacancy. Three of the elected supervisors have already endorsed Gore – Greg Cox, Pam Slater-Price and Bill Horn.

Supervisor Ron Roberts hired Duffy away from the Sheriff's Department last year to be his chief of staff, and has endorsed his trusted ally. Duffy is also the son of former Sheriff John Duffy, whose name is emblazoned across the department's administration center in Kearny Mesa.

Although they declined to say who should be named to the job, Supervisors Slater-Price and Horn both said they favor appointing someone to fill the vacancy rather than spending money on a special election.

“The next election is in a year, so that's not a big deal,” Horn said.

Slater-Price downplayed the advantage any incumbent may have come, especially if Gore is appointed, because of his relatively low name recognition.

“He (Gore) is not an experienced politician, and those are negatives in terms of name ID,” she said. “If you were going to choose a person who has a high profile and put them in that position, then they would have an advantage.” "

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/01/bn01sheriff-stepping-down/?zIndex=76199

Let Gore continue running the Sheriff's Office as #2 without being appointed Sheriff- what's the change? Kolender sure as heck hasn't been running anything...

NO APPOINTMENT of Gore as Sheriff

N6ATF
04-02-2009, 1:03 AM
Hutchens, Part Deux.

robitrocks
04-02-2009, 9:42 AM
Let's hit the phones guys. I called all of the supervisors and the people in the office sounded surprised I was calling.
Supervisors:

Greg Cox
greg.cox@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5511

Dianne Jacob
dianne.jacob@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5522

Pam Slater-Price
pam.slater@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5533

Ron Roberts
ron-roberts@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5544

Bill Horn
bill.horn@sdcounty.ca.gov
(619) 531-5555

PatriotnMore
04-02-2009, 9:53 AM
Nice way to subvert the process and maintain the old boy status quo.

Bingo. Politics at its finest.

S.D residents better get vocal on this issue.

AEC1
04-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Cant call or e-mail form work (gov't resources), but at lunch my cell phone will be fired up!

tmuller
04-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Emails sent this morning...I'll start ringing them after work.

Anyone know when the vote or decision is?

jnojr
04-02-2009, 1:25 PM
Hutchens, Part Deux.

Not at all.

Hutchens replaced Carona and took away CCWs. Gore will simply maintain the status quo.

jnojr
04-02-2009, 1:27 PM
Your best bet is to simply ask for a special election to be held instead of an appointment. I really, really doubt the BoS wil appoint a political "outsider". Their ostensible goal is to "maintain leadership", and Gore is pretty much a shoe-in for the spot.

jnojr
04-02-2009, 1:28 PM
Here's the letter I wrote, as an example:

Ladies and gentlemen of the Board,

I am writing to express my concern for whom is to be appointed as
Sheriff Kolender's successor. The "common wisdom" says Bill Gore is the
likely candidate. However, I, and many others, have one huge concern...
Mr. Gore's position on the issuance of CCWs (permits to Carry a
Concealed Weapon), which is to continue the antiquated policy the
Sheriff's Department has used for years.

Currently, the Sheriff's Department basically refuses to issue permits
to regular, law-abiding, tax-paying citizens who wish to exercise their
right to defend themselves and their loved ones. In the past couple of
decades, a sea change in the views towards citizens carrying concealed
weapons has swept the country, as illustrated by
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/rtc.gif California is one of a very few
states left that does not have a "shall-issue" policy (which means,
basically, that a citizen who is not legally barred from purchasing or
owning a firearm must be granted a permit to carry one) The vast
majority of states have moved on from the ancient, racist laws barring
the concealed carry of firearms (racist, because the original intent was
to allow "the authorities" to deny permits to "undesirables" while
freely granting them to "people like them").

The result of this change has been a far greater ability for average
citizens to defend themselves from criminals who freely carry weapons
anyway... a gun charge to a multiple rapist, carjacker, gang member,
etc. is just one more charge to be plea-bargained away; while a
law-abiding citizen faces an enormous penalty in the form of a criminal
conviction. Nationwide, the number of people with CCWs who commit any
crimes at all, let alone "gun crimes", is so minuscule as to be
statistically insignificant. Each time a state went shall-issue, there
were those who cried that blood would run in the streets, that traffic
altercations would become shootouts, etc... and it never happened.

We have severe economic pressure on all facets of society, including law
enforcement. Our police and Deputy Sheriffs are spread thinner even as
more people lose their jobs and possibly contemplate turning to crime.
Granting permits to citizens with no criminal history or any other
negative societal behavior who complete regular training classes helps
to alleviate that dearth of sworn law officers, and the fees they pay
can help fund other law enforcement activity.

Supervisors, I strongly urge you to consider this matter when selecting
a successor to Sheriff Kolender. If nothing else, as the Sheriff's
overseers, you have the ability to insist that the Department alter it's
CCW issuance policies to reflect the modern world we live in as well as
most of the rest of the country.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

paladin4415
04-02-2009, 2:41 PM
The BoS will appoint Gore and he will be Sheriff until the regular election next year. The BoS will never pay for special election. This will help Gore in the general election in 2010.

DDT
04-02-2009, 3:42 PM
The BoS will appoint Gore and he will be Sheriff until the regular election next year. The BoS will never pay for special election. This will help Gore in the general election in 2010.

Is there no precedence for the sheriff's office to run with an acting sheriff and nobody actually appointed to the position for 18 months?

RomanDad
04-02-2009, 4:42 PM
Its events like these that just make me ask "why?".....

"Why? Why? Why?"

"Dear God... WHY???"

"Why, why, why couldn't it have been Hutchens???"

paladin4415
04-02-2009, 7:52 PM
Is there no precedence for the sheriff's office to run with an acting sheriff and nobody actually appointed to the position for 18 months?

If it was 6-8 months they might leave the position empty and use an "acting Sheriff", but with 18 months left they will appoint Gore. Wait and see.

KylaGWolf
04-02-2009, 9:51 PM
emails sent.

BigDogatPlay
04-03-2009, 1:08 AM
The position of Sheriff is, if memory serves, somewhat required under a whole host of state laws. The BoS can appoint anyone who meets the qualifications in the abscence (retirement) of an elected sheriff, and can call it "acting", but the role has to be filled.

The legal authority to act, in whatever situation it is, rests solely with the sheriff. The sheriff appoints deputies to act on the sheriff's behalf and with the sheriff's authority. Without someone parked in the role of sheriff officially then the lawful authority of the deputies falls into legal limbo.

It's quite typical for undersheriffs to be appointed to fill vacancies when the big sheriff unexpectedly leaves office.

jnojr
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/03/1m3sheriff002213-4-hopefuls-say-board-should-not-p/

GuyW
04-04-2009, 1:36 PM
http://www.redcounty.com/sheriff-retirement-fallout-hopefuls-react

nicki
04-04-2009, 2:23 PM
What we should be working for is not just a pro gun sheriff, but a pro rights sheriff who understands that he works for the people and that he takes equality under the law seriously and that is how he will run the department.

AB357 has been rescheduled to Apr 21 and I am in contact with Assemblyman Knights staff on this bill.

Assuming that Knight's staff will continue working with us, we can make a big difference. AB357 will probably not pass, that is a given.

What it will do is change the debate on AB357 and that is how we can help Jay LaSuer.

Right now AB357 is a "gun bill", when we are thru that day, it will be a also be a "civil rights, anti corruption" bill also.

To be against AB357 will mean that you support government corruption, you oppose equal rights for women, minorities and the LBGT community.

When we change the debate, we could honestly call opponents of AB357 racists, biogots, misogynist, homo and transphobics.

Shall issue CCW is a issue that appeals to 1 percent of the population, if we expand the debate to the above, it now becomes a pro choice issue that will appeal to a broader range of the population.

Those who oppose CCW by default advocate the 911 solution.

If you want to have fun, send the following clip to your antigun friends and complain about that "rednecks" are under represented.

Hell, send if you are going to send letters on the issue, go for the equality under the law angle and say that the gun issue is not just a right wing issue, it crosses political and social lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FoSBr48a0w&feature=PlayList&p=FF52369C62DA7F9B&index=0

Video opens up with a comparison between 911 and a 1911.

Nicki

SteveH
04-04-2009, 5:58 PM
Common tactic which in the past has allowed outgoing Sheriff's to appoint a hand picked sucessor.

N6ATF
04-06-2009, 2:31 PM
Just got an e-mail back from a Roberts staffer thanking me for my comments. No replies from any of the others.

GenLee
04-06-2009, 3:16 PM
I wonder if Jay LaSuer, has any suggestion for us on this matter. I know he's an active member. Maybe he has some insight as to our best bet on how to respond to this?

jnojr
04-06-2009, 4:13 PM
Just got an e-mail back from a Roberts staffer thanking me for my comments. No replies from any of the others.

Yup. Same here. A very noncommittal form response.

berto
04-06-2009, 4:34 PM

Roberts is a douche nozzle. I can't imagine he'd rock the boat on this one.

Satex
04-06-2009, 4:58 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll appoint Bill Gore.

-Gene

You are correct. Apparently the SD Sheriff Aristocracy has been working on the "correct timing" for Kolender's retirement to make sure that Gore gets the position with no chance of real change in the royal family.

GuyW
04-06-2009, 8:03 PM
The Supervisors need to be made look bad to the public, IF they go along with THE FIX and in a very real way, deny voters a real choice for Sheriff for the next 20 years (this is not to say that La Suer or other candidates will fold up their tents and go away).

San Diego has way too many RINOs, and the Supervisors appear to be leading their parade.

GuyW
04-06-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/apr/05/1mc5jenkins20152-kolender-going-and-some-saw-it-co/

N6ATF
04-07-2009, 4:43 PM
Dianne Jacob's office just sent one. Kinda unique in that the form letter response was scanned and attached as a PDF.

CessnaDriver
04-09-2009, 4:04 PM
Ok so a recent news article said...

"County supervisors reached Wednesday said they have the authority to appoint a successor or call a special election to fill the vacancy."

A response I got said....

"the Charter does not permit a special election for this position"

???

N6ATF
04-09-2009, 4:17 PM
Dianne Jacob's letter written by Robert Spanbauer said:

"Consistent with the voter-approved San Diego County Charter and Board Policy, the Board of Supervisors will carry out an appointment process for the purpose of filling the vacancy."

That doesn't specifically say "does not permit a special election", just means they can and will do it the corrupt way as long as the corruption is legalized.

KylaGWolf
04-09-2009, 5:11 PM
I too got the normal form letter from roberts. My one to Jacobs office got kicked back so who knows. I have a feeling they are going to hand it to gore just because they can.

PatriotnMore
04-09-2009, 6:44 PM
I ask you, if the BOS can put who they want in the position, vs someone elected whom may, or may not shake things up, what do you think they will do?

N6ATF
04-09-2009, 7:04 PM
They will put the worst possible person in the position, who will cost US millions to defend his/her civil rights violations.

This is the government. When do they EVER do the right thing?

Bill_in_SD
04-10-2009, 2:41 PM
Any idea if Chula Vista Police Chief Rick Emerson might be a consideration for Sheriff? Appointment by the County BoS?

His timing is pretty suspect.......

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/breaking/2009/04/chula_vista_police_chief_retir.html

April 10, 2009
Chula Vista police chief: 'timing is right"

Chula Vista Police Chief Rick Emerson, who is retiring effective May 26, released a statement today.

"This was not an easy decision because I still enjoy coming to work every day," the 58-year-old Emerson said. "But the timing is right for me. We have a very well-regarded organization, and I am very proud of all of the people in the department who continue to provide our community with quality public safety services, even during these difficult fiscal times."

In recent residential surveys, the Chula Vista Police Department has received a 94 percent approval rating, department officials said, adding that reported crime in the city has decreased 57 percent since Emerson took over 17 years ago.

Emerson plans to continue managing the department as an hourly city employee until the city selects a replacement. Several captains at the department have applied, and the city manager also will seek candidates nationally.

Emerson started as a police cadet in 1969 with the Pasadena Police Department and worked his way up to a commander's position there. He was hired as Chula Vista's police chief in 1992.
Posted by Susan Shroder | 01:04 PM

N6ATF
04-10-2009, 3:11 PM
LOL @ Chula Vista. I lived there for 8 years.

There was an auto shop backing up against my residential neighborhood and there was a huge amount of street racing, kids getting hit or nearly hit. We met with city officials and they refused to put in speed bumps or humps.

The alley between the back of the businesses and the back of the apartments was best described as a landfill - endless dumping of big screen TVs, couches, refrigerators, end tables, and lesser sized garbage. I would pick up CRV recycling off the ground in that alley, there was so much of it. One time a dry ice bomb nearly took off my thumb, suspect it was left for me by one of the neighborhood criminals - when I told a cop after I had got some ice on it, he said no crime.

Gang members would smoke marijuana and drink and harass women from lawns not even their own, and the cops would drive by and have laughing friendly conversations with them immediately after they tossed the marijuana in the grass.

Teenage and preteen kids would vandalize the buildings, I caught both kinds in the act, some individual, some in groups. One of these kids smoke, drank, and bought a bong and god knows what else from the trunk of a car stopped in the middle of the street.

Massage parlor eventually got busted for prostitution either just before or after we moved out, and the juvenile delinquent families eventually moved out months after some arrests were made. I found paperwork in the street while picking up recycling one day confirming one JD was on probation.

For a while, Chula Vista seemed to be the termination point for high-speed pursuits.

Reported crime decreased probably because a lot of people gave up reporting anything and no reports were made in a lot of cases.

Oh, how could I forget! My parents' POS older car was stolen, left in a parking lot at the "good" side of the city, collected dust for MONTHS, the broken stereo got jacked, and we finally got a call that it was sitting in an impound lot 6-8 months later. I was attending school out of my home district, and with no way to get there practically (still hadn't gotten the call) had to retreat after that year.

Total slum.

GuyW
04-28-2009, 5:14 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175914

AEC1
04-28-2009, 6:40 AM
JAY, JAY, JAY!!!

N6ATF
05-14-2009, 4:30 PM
Bill Horn's letter written by Candyce Yee said:

I have received your letter regarding the appointment of the San Diego County Sheriff position. Thank you for your active community participation and input.

The application process will be outlined in the next few weeks and we will keep your letters on file. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments as all candidates are being considered at this point in the process.