PDA

View Full Version : Three Arrested, Guns Seized in Joint Operation

eazyle
04-01-2009, 6:29 PM
I couldn't find the KTLA video version of this story so this is all I can find. The news report I saw in KTLA was horrible featuring an AR-15 and calling it an "AK-47." They also showed Jack Weiss calling the firearms "Cop killing guns" also mentioning that these guns are not used for hunting etc... :rolleyes:

http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/local/Three_Arrested_Guns_Seized_in_Joint_Operation_2009 0401

Three Arrested, Guns
Seized in Joint
Operation

Last Edited: Wednesday, 01 Apr 2009, 5:33 PM PDT
Created On: Wednesday, 01 Apr 2009, 4:32 PM PDT

* CityNews Service
* Posted by: Tony Spearman

Los Angeles (myFOXla.com) - Three people were arrested and 32 firearms, including fully automatic rifles, seized in a joint operation by the Los Angeles Police Department and federal government, officials announced Wednesday.

The guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, including military tracer rounds, were seized by the LAPD and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents during searches at the residence of a suspected gun dealer and a warehouse believed used by a gun supplier.

Last year, officers in the San Fernando Valley identified an uptick in violent shootings with high-capacity magazines and assault weapons. Information officers obtained during parole and probation sweeps led them to a suspected illegal gun dealer, and that ultimately led to the joint LAPD/ATF operation, which focused on a different dealer and supplier.

"The sum of this is that this is what's going on underneath the surface, not only in the San Fernando Valley but in the region," said LAPD Deputy Chief Michel Moore.

Taken into custody during the searchers were Kelly Lamont Robinson, 39, Danielle Steel, 27, and Berdine Lavoy, 52. Robinson and Steel's arrests were narcotics-related, and Lavoy was taken into custody for alleged possession of an explosive device, according to police.

Additional arrests may be made as law enforcement officials investigate where the guns came from and who bought them. Police believe the guns were used by Los Angeles gang members.

"These types of weapons have one purpose. The purpose is to kill or maim human beings," said LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Downing.

Texas Boy
04-01-2009, 6:35 PM
Last year, officers in the San Fernando Valley identified an uptick in violent shootings with high-capacity magazines and assault weapons

Ugh....how would you know the shooter had a high capacity magazine?

DDT
04-01-2009, 6:41 PM
Ugh....how would you know the shooter had a high capacity magazine?

12 empty cases from the same weapon?

Richy
04-01-2009, 6:46 PM

Because nobody would ever reload a weapon, so it must be.

CavTrooper
04-01-2009, 7:07 PM

Police firearms?

CitaDeL
04-01-2009, 7:14 PM
The guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, including military tracer rounds, were seized by the LAPD and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms agents during searches at the residence of a suspected gun dealer and a warehouse believed used by a gun supplier.

Hundreds of rounds of ammunition?

Either they arent doing it right, or they are suffering the same supply issues everyone else is.

"These types of weapons have one purpose. The purpose is to kill or maim human beings," said LAPD Deputy Chief Michael Downing.

Yeah. So what youre saying is, police carry weapons to kill or maim human beings. A claw hammer can pound nails in or pull them out-- I would say that those weapons are as an effective deterrent as they are at dispatching a human being.

RRangel
04-01-2009, 7:58 PM

In the context it appears than we surely can't be surprised. Deputy Chief Michael Downing is but a mouthpiece for the politicians who have given him a job. In elitist fashion he espouses their brand of statism over the enumerated rights that our country was founded on. I am glad his name is in the article for all to see. Let this be a lesson to what apathy brings. The incorporation of Heller can't come soon enough.

HappyG
04-01-2009, 8:15 PM
No surprise on how law enforcement commented about the confiscated weapons. I did think however that the ATF agent explaining make/models to the media provided factual and unbiased information without making them look too scary or evil. That was only from the news clip though, so not sure what else was said.

CHS
04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
How could this have happened? I really don't understand it....

High capacity magazines and assault weapons are ILLEGAL in California!! How could criminals possibly get their hands on them!?

joemama
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
32 rifles, with mixed in full auto's and only hundreds of rounds of ammo? guess they would only be a threat for about 32 seconds...

gazzavc
04-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Anymore information as to where in the SFV and who the bent FFL was ?

wikidklown
04-02-2009, 4:02 AM
People like those are the bad apples giving people like us a bad wrap.....
Good they got caught specially those nice guns being sold to gangbangers.
I hope they catch more of those type of peeps ;) busted for narcotics and explosives damn, no wonder people are paranoid.

obviously, she'd never been to a match before LOL ^^^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drexotic
04-02-2009, 7:55 AM
This was on the news last night as I was driving to OC to pick up my new OLL from the group buy . . . I thought it was a bit ironic!

From the very limited information they had on KNX, I wondered what was really going on . . . I was thinking . . . That could it have been me . . . If I were to be busted by the "right" (wrong?) bunch of LEO's!!!. . . I have guns that could be construed as Assault weapons and I certainly have "100's of rounds of ammo."

Guess this is a scary world either way . . . If these guns are going to bad guys . . . Good thing I've got a way to defend my family and home if need be . . . If these are not bad guys . . . Watch out for Big Bother!

Adonlude
04-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Gotta love how the whole thing is over guns but the arrests are for totally unrelated resons. We give our police too much discression. They can always find a reason to arrest and this is a perfect example. If you are after someone for their guns you should be able to arrest them for their guns.

Joe
04-02-2009, 3:44 PM
How could this have happened? I really don't understand it....

High capacity magazines and assault weapons are ILLEGAL in California!! How could criminals possibly get their hands on them!?

+1

Criminals break the law!?!? wtf! since when!?

westcoastr
04-03-2009, 7:32 AM
I
Taken into custody during the searchers were ......... Danielle Steel .......

They finally got her!!! Now no more crappy books and maybe they will tow her 26 cars taking up spaces in Pac Heights.

shark92651
04-03-2009, 11:12 AM

I hate hearing cops say this tripe. Just once I would like to see the reporter point to the cop's sidearm and ask "Isn't the gun on your belt designed for the same purpose?"

Titans
04-03-2009, 4:49 PM
http://www.ktla.com/video/?clipId=3611399&topVideoCatNo=79422&c=&autoStart=true&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&clipFormat=flv

Here's the link to the video

I hated every second of this report when I had first watched it. "If you see anything suspicious in your neighborhood give them a call..." sigh