PDA

View Full Version : still confused.....

sihondalove
04-01-2009, 7:09 AM
i searched a bit on the forum, and my last thread, i asked do i need a california gun permit? and somebody said, no.....basicly, i am only interested in 3 guns......

1. S&W Model 4006 handgun

2. Remington 870 shotgun

3. AR-15A2 in .223 auto rifle

iam in the process of hiring for CHP (which may take forever) but i want to get as much practice as i can in with these specific guns and own the S&W....

i see that there are a few gun ranges around NorCal, but other wise not much.....i know there is a big thing going on right now with the AR, like its being banned or something,

but again if anybody can direct me to a shooting range of some sort where somebody can help me out that would be awesome!

JTecalo
04-01-2009, 9:49 AM
i searched a bit on the forum, and my last thread, i asked do i need a california gun permit? and somebody said, no.....basicly, i am only interested in 3 guns......

1. S&W Model 4006 handgun

2. Remington 870 shotgun

3. AR-15A2 in .223 auto rifle

iam in the process of hiring for CHP (which may take forever) but i want to get as much practice as i can in with these specific guns and own the S&W....

i see that there are a few gun ranges around NorCal, but other wise not much.....i know there is a big thing going on right now with the AR, like its being banned or something,

but again if anybody can direct me to a shooting range of some sort where somebody can help me out that would be awesome!

1. you will need to pass a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) for the S&W to purchase: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/hscfaqs.php

You also need to be legally able to own firearms: age, convictions, mental etc: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php

If you intend to conceal carry you'll need to apply for a ccw from your local sheriff or chief of police. Depending on where you live this may be virtually impossible to obtain.

Getting hired by the CHP may open some doors for you, but I'm uncertain if yes or no.

2. shouldn't have any problems, if you can legally own firearms.

3. AR-15A2 in .223 Cal Legal configured semi-auto rifle + # 2 above

Others here may be able to answer more completely.

Rukus
04-01-2009, 11:24 AM
^^^ +1 on all that was said.

There isn't a "CA Gun Permit" as far as I know. The closest thing would be a CCW which was pretty much explained above. Read around the forums regarding the AR and familiarize yourself with the OLL laws and CA AW ID laws (there are the links at the top of the forums) these should answer most of your questions in regards to building or buying a legal AR.

Also, depending on what range you go to, you will probably want to take everything you hear with a grain of salt. As many Calgunners can attest, sometimes gunshops spread more FUD than anything...depends on who you talk to...

sihondalove
04-01-2009, 3:27 PM
^thank you both for the direction!

what do either of you think of the CHP issued handgun?

paul0660
04-01-2009, 3:29 PM
This reminds me of a post last year. You want to be a cop and you can't figure out the answer to this?

sihondalove
04-01-2009, 7:56 PM
^hey great support buddy, love the warm welcome

JTecalo
04-01-2009, 8:13 PM
what do either of you think of the CHP issued handgun?

Sorry no experience with it one way or the other.

Welcome to CalGuns

Turbinator
04-03-2009, 10:31 AM
^hey great support buddy, love the warm welcome

You'll have to excuse the comment he made, but a bit of this does ring true with the members here. Some law enforcement (not all) are notorious for knowing nothing about firearms and arresting otherwise innocent gun owners for perceived legal transgressions.

If we had our druthers, anyone interested in law enforcement would be knowledgeable on firerams and laws, and rabidly pro-2nd Amendment. Not sure where you fall in these ideals, but it is clear from some of your questions that you appear to be getting into firearms for the first time.

My earlier comment still stands - get ahold of a couple of people nearby who can guide and coach you in person on navigating gun ownership and the hobby in general.

Welcome aboard, again.

Turby

scrannel
04-04-2009, 9:04 AM
Ok, new to the forum, need some advice. I have a Legal CAR-15 ("Sporter II") purchased long before assault rifle laws, and legally registered in CA. It came with two 20 round mags and two 30 round mags. Questions:

1) When I go to a range (I assume I should take a copy of my registration?) can I legally shoot the larger capacity mags?

2) Are there any "tactical" mods that are illegal for this gun? I have a "Streamlight" flashlight (very small) attached to the bayonet lug, and a C-more sight. In other words, can I go to the range with the gun so equipped? The gun has no other mods. (Compensator/suppressor was stock).

Thanks

sihondalove
04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
i have no idea who to contact thats the thing, no gun ranges in my area.....maybe im just gonna drive down south a bit

sihondalove
04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok, new to the forum, need some advice. I have a Legal CAR-15 ("Sporter II") purchased long before assault rifle laws, and legally registered in CA. It came with two 20 round mags and two 30 round mags. Questions:

1) When I go to a range (I assume I should take a copy of my registration?) can I legally shoot the larger capacity mags?

2) Are there any "tactical" mods that are illegal for this gun? I have a "Streamlight" flashlight (very small) attached to the bayonet lug, and a C-more sight. In other words, can I go to the range with the gun so equipped? The gun has no other mods. (Compensator/suppressor was stock).

Thanks

start your own thread

sirnonz
04-05-2009, 11:32 AM
go to target masters and try those guns out.