PDA

View Full Version : Preventing the next Maloney

pfl101
04-01-2009, 7:56 AM
Is there some sort of loose coalition of 2A attorneys that exists to identify this kind of disaster before it occurs?

How did this guy's case get to trial given the ramifications for the 2A without him being offered quality representation by the NRA or a similar entity?

yellowfin
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Is there some sort of loose coalition of 2A attorneys that exists to identify this kind of disaster before it occurs?

How did this guy's case get to trial given the ramifications for the 2A without him being offered quality representation by the NRA or a similar entity?

Part B: He didn't want NRA representation, and given his choice of help for the appeal, he may actually be against us and deliberately pushing this case to sabotage us. I've heard anti gun junk from the mouths of lots martial arts types over the years. Those of that inclination are usually very adamant and very vocal about it, possibly a lot of it being sales shtick to push their flavor of self defense which they may (rightly) perceive is one upped or obsoleted by firearms.

Part A: Obviously there is in CA, and there needs to be a national networking. One of the worst things about the NY situation is that it appears there is no visible coordination among pro 2A legal forces there--either it isn't there at all, or it's not visible from the outside. They sure don't seem to be in communication, at least not publicly, with the NRA folks there from what I can tell.

SwissFluCase
04-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Part B: He didn't want NRA representation, and given his choice of help for the appeal, he may actually be against us and deliberately pushing this case to sabotage us. I've heard anti gun junk from the mouths of lots martial arts types over the years. Those of that inclination are usually very adamant and very vocal about it, possibly a lot of it being sales shtick to push their flavor of self defense which they may (rightly) perceive is one upped or obsoleted by firearms.

As a martial artist myself, I can definitely see a difference between those who work with weapons, and those who don't like them. There a lot of martial artists who practice for spiritual reasons, and to find balance. Those guys often hate guns, and are really pacifists in disguise. I train with the other camp, the "a fight that isn't worth fighting dirty isn't worth fighting" crowd. Those are the martial artists that are usually cops or soldiers as well. Guns, knives, cars, and anything else that is useful is accepted.

Maloney certainly doesn't seem to want to have any part of our movement, and I'll bet his crowd is the anti-gun representation of martial artists. The problem here is that he is specifically making an end run around us.

At the risk of being flamed, what is the everyday practicality of nunchuks anyway?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

mblat
04-01-2009, 12:14 PM
As a martial artist myself, I can definitely see a difference between those who work with weapons, and those who don't like them. There a lot of martial artists who practice for spiritual reasons, and to find balance. Those guys often hate guns, and are really pacifists in disguise. I train with the other camp, the "a fight that isn't worth fighting dirty isn't worth fighting" crowd. Those are the martial artists that are usually cops or soldiers as well. Guns, knives, cars, and anything else that is useful is accepted.

Maloney certainly doesn't seem to want to have any part of our movement, and I'll bet his crowd is the anti-gun representation of martial artists. The problem here is that he is specifically making an end run around us.

At the risk of being flamed, what is the everyday practicality of nunchuks anyway?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

I can answer that. They are easily concealable and in the hands of a master absolutely devastating weapon. They can be almost as effective as staff.

CCWFacts
04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
I can answer that. They are easily concealable and in the hands of a master absolutely devastating weapon. They can be almost as effective as staff.

Great, and in trained hands, the staff itself is almost as effective as a sword, which itself became obsolete with the invention of revolvers 150 years ago.

The NRA should be much more aggressive in stopping lawsuits like this guy's.

mblat
04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Great, and in trained hands, the staff itself is almost as effective as a sword, which itself became obsolete with the invention of revolvers 150 years ago.

<shrug> I can argue that nunchuks due to conceivability factor are not obsolete. Fact that can be carried discreetly gives them huge practical advantage over swords and or staff. Kind of like handgun vs. shotgun. Would you cary swords to a bar? You can easily do it with nunchucks.

That is said I am not arguing with general idea of this thread. This kinds of lawsuits should be avoided and prevented, if possible. I simply was answering specific question.

Captain Evilstomper
04-01-2009, 1:14 PM
back to the OP, i haven't heard of this case. linky?

ke6guj
04-01-2009, 1:22 PM

As far as trying to stop the lawsuit, IIRC, the NRA did talk to Maloney to try to stop it, or at the least, help with lawyers. Maloney didnt' want any help.

As for trying to aggressively stop the lawsuit, I can think of a lawsuit that NRA did not feel was a good idea at the time, and did try to derail it. The case was Parker vs. DC, now known as DC vs. Heller. Many people are still upset with NRA over that. What is the difference between Parker and Maloney? Why was it wrong for NRA to try to derail Parker, but we want NRA to derail Maloney?

pfl101
04-01-2009, 1:24 PM
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/updates.html

Too bad the guy chose to fight the rule without proper legal representation. While he might not want to help us out, the fallout hurt our movement, to say nothing for his cause. It's another example of "thinking inside the box" that causes fissures in the integrity of the overall self-defense movement.