PDA

View Full Version : Correct overall length for 9mm round?

ronas
03-31-2009, 2:57 PM
What is the correct length of a 9mm round? FMJ Sierra 125 grain is the bullet used.

Speers manual says maximum length should be 1.100"

Sierra manual says maxumum length should not exceed 1.169"

realmswalker
03-31-2009, 3:34 PM
I load mine at 1.160 oal and it works just fine in my glock. I have some loaded at 1.130. measure some factory ammo and you will get varying lengths which all comes down to bullet type.

There really is no correct length. some people seat shorter because thats what works in their gun, some people seat longer because of the same.

stay within the powder and primer guidelines and dont exceed the max or min length and you should be fine.

5hundo
03-31-2009, 3:54 PM
There really is no correct length. some people seat shorter because thats what works in their gun, some people seat longer because of the same.

stay within the powder and primer guidelines and dont exceed the max or min length and you should be fine.

+1

You can more-or-less consider those "guidelines", to a certain degree. Don't get too carried away but otherwise, it should be okay...

BamBam-31
03-31-2009, 4:09 PM
I load my 9mm's (Zero 125gr. JHP) to 1.13" OAL w/ 4.3gr of Win 231. Works great out of all my guns. Used to load it to 1.15", but they'd jam in my CZ's mags every so often. My Glocks eat up everything, long, short, it doesn't matter.

IW378
03-31-2009, 4:11 PM
I seat mine to coal of 1.140 using ranier plated round nose projectiles.
I think you might be mistaken on the length you said the speer book gave.

WyoDuner
03-31-2009, 5:31 PM
I load several different bullets for 9mm. 2 that I know off hand are Ranier plated flat nose (1.060") and Berry's plated HP (1.010") which I use for target practice. These are that length because any longer and they don't chamber properly in my 9mm Kimber.

Point is, load 1 round and make sure it drops all the way into your barrel with the bullet contacting the lands. From that you can determine OAL for THAT particular bullet. The shape of the bullet and the chamber of your barrel need to be accounted for.

Hornady XTP bullets, for example can be fairly long due to the taper.

buffybuster
03-31-2009, 6:17 PM
The listed maximum OAL for the 9x19 is 1.169". However this can vary to some degree based on your magazine and also the design of the bullet. I have run as short as 1.095" with truncated cone and as long as 1.200" with RNFMJ. Depends on what your magazine and chamber will accept.

fairfaxjim
03-31-2009, 7:55 PM
I load several different bullets for 9mm. 2 that I know off hand are Ranier plated flat nose (1.060") and Berry's plated HP (1.010") which I use for target practice. These are that length because any longer and they don't chamber properly in my 9mm Kimber.

Point is, load 1 round and make sure it drops all the way into your barrel with the bullet contacting the lands. From that you can determine OAL for THAT particular bullet. The shape of the bullet and the chamber of your barrel need to be accounted for.

Hornady XTP bullets, for example can be fairly long due to the taper.

What weight Berry's plated HP are you loading @ 1.010", and what load are you using behind it? I have the same problem with the 115 gr. plated HP in my Sig's, particularly the P6.

WyoDuner
04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
What weight Berry's plated HP are you loading @ 1.010", and what load are you using behind it? I have the same problem with the 115 gr. plated HP in my Sig's, particularly the P6.

They are 124 gr hollow point. My "standard" load is 6.7 gr of HS-6 (love that powder) and my "hot" load is 7.0 gr of HS-6.

These are going in a Kimber 9mm Stainless Target II 1911.

I haven't checked the chamber of my new Sig Pro SP2022 yet - Keep meaning to do that so see what it's chamber will tolerate. I did confirm that the bullets loaded for the Kimber will full seat in the chamber of the Sig though - just haven't checked to see how close the 2 are.

fairfaxjim
04-02-2009, 2:11 PM
They are 124 gr hollow point. My "standard" load is 6.7 gr of HS-6 (love that powder) and my "hot" load is 7.0 gr of HS-6.

These are going in a Kimber 9mm Stainless Target II 1911.

I haven't checked the chamber of my new Sig Pro SP2022 yet - Keep meaning to do that so see what it's chamber will tolerate. I did confirm that the bullets loaded for the Kimber will full seat in the chamber of the Sig though - just haven't checked to see how close the 2 are.

Thanks, that was helpful. I just ran a couple of tests and it seems that my P226 is good to go with 1.040 COL and my P6 with 1.020 COL with the Berrys 124gr. Pltd HP.