PDA

View Full Version : Is the AR Dedicated .22 Upper worth it?

Shantel
03-31-2009, 2:17 PM
The boyfriend currently owns an AR-15 and I absoultely love how it looks. I havent shot it yet mainly becuase I'm trying to get the courage to do so. haha.. However, I really want an AR with a dedicated .22 Upper..

the price is whats making me ask if its worth it.. ?
does anyone have one?
or any advice on them.?
also, has anyone seen them for a cheaper (more reasonable) price?

Thank you!
Shantel

Iknownot
03-31-2009, 2:22 PM
There's a group buy going on for a spike's 22lr upper. BYOL (Bring your own lower).

Check this forum for the details on the group buy. You'd have a hard time finding a better deal on a quality upper right now.

As for, "is it worth it"? Worth it compared to what? Other 22lr semi auto rifles? Probably not, considering the price. However if you want an AR style rifle in 22lr, what else are going to do besides get one of those $200-300 bolt conversion kits?

At that point, you kind of have to decide do you want to spend $300 more to get a dedicated upper or not. Only you know how much shooting and the type of shooting you plan on doing with your rifle.

Rick530
03-31-2009, 2:22 PM
I love my spikes 22

Shantel
03-31-2009, 2:32 PM
Well I'm not trying to compare it to anyting as of right now. I'm just seeing what other people think about the rifle and if its just simply worth the trouble.

I dont know if I would want the conversion kit because it wouldnt be as accurate if I got the dedicated upper.

I heard about the group buy and looked into it. I'm considering it.

Rick530 - sweet, good to know!

thank you for the feedback!

Rick530
03-31-2009, 2:39 PM
http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii379/Rickb530/IMG_0077.jpg

Jicko
03-31-2009, 2:40 PM
I picked to do a ".22lr conversion", I don't see much difference.

Arteel
03-31-2009, 2:56 PM
I think I'm just going to find her an upper in 5.56 and get the conversion. That way we will have an option of converting back to 5.56 when she gets more comfortable instead of buying a whole new upper.

DirtRacer151
03-31-2009, 3:02 PM
i had the feeling i'd rather pay extra for a little more accuracy out of a dedicated upper but after shooting a friends conversion gun im sold! Very few FTEs or FTFs and accurate enough! If you do a dedicated build your stuck shooting only 22lr versus a conversion you have 5.56 or 22lr.

wash
03-31-2009, 3:13 PM
They can be neat, but I don't think they are worth it.

Don't be afraid of the .223, the recoil is almost nothing, it might be several times more than a .22 lr, but it's much much much less than a .308 or a 12 gauge shotgun. I was shocked by how little recoil there was the first time I fired my AR. Even if you are tiny I don't think you'll have a problem.

If I were you, I would wait to see how people like the SIG 522. That looks sweet and it will cost about as much as a .22 lr upper but you get a whole gun.

But really, for the price of a nice .22lr upper, you can get a whole bunch of .223.

AlliedArmory
03-31-2009, 3:13 PM
i was going to go with a dedicated upper route, but ended up going with with a ruger 10/22!

Rick530
03-31-2009, 3:14 PM

Don't be afraid of the .223, the recoil is almost nothing, it might be several times more than a .22 lr, but it's much much much less than a .308 or a 12 gauge shotgun. I was shocked by how little recoil there was the first time I fired my AR. Even if you are tiny I don't think you'll have a problem.

If I were you, I would wait to see how people like the SIG 522. That looks sweet and it will cost about as much as a .22 lr upper but you get a whole gun.

But really, for the price of a nice .22lr upper, you can get a whole bunch of .223.
My girl is 115lbs and she shoots my .223 no problem, no complaints.

Arteel
03-31-2009, 3:16 PM
I think its less the physical part, but more mentality.

My girl is 115lbs and she shoots my .223 no problem, no complaints.

Rick530
03-31-2009, 3:23 PM

Just tell her to pretend its a .22 :thumbsup:

wash
03-31-2009, 3:30 PM
Yeah, girls can get psyched out by a mouse gun because they don't know how little recoil there is.

Really, AR's in .223 are *****cats, they should hear that, it's the truth. It's the lightest recoiling rifle I've ever shot beside my .22's.

Just shoot it! You can do it!

Shantel
03-31-2009, 4:21 PM
Just tell her to pretend its a .22 :thumbsup:

HAHAH, yeah it is totally mental! and nice rifle btw.
see I think the loud sound the .223 makes is what gets me afraid of it bcuz I see how the recoil isnt bad. I jus have to get over it haha. easier said than done.. but I'll end up shooting it! (:

I think I just might end up going with the conversion kit.

fonionrings
03-31-2009, 4:31 PM
Personally, I find being behind the rifle when shooting the .223 reduces the sound a helluva lot. Standing to the side when someone else is shooting it makes it sound a lot louder than when you yourself are firing it.

.. for me, at least. :thumbsup:

Rick530
03-31-2009, 5:24 PM
HAHAH, yeah it is totally mental! and nice rifle btw.
see I think the loud sound the .223 makes is what gets me afraid of it bcuz I see how the recoil isnt bad. I jus have to get over it haha. easier said than done.. but I'll end up shooting it! (:

I think I just might end up going with the conversion kit.
get better hearing protection.

River Jack
03-31-2009, 6:37 PM
For me, the answer is yes. In fact, I like having a fully dedicated .22lr AR patterned rifle (lower & upper) and think that it is well worth it. I enjoy shoot the .22lr caliber, mainly due to it's low cost. I like not having to switch anything out & around and not having to deal with "evil features" issues or maglocks on my .22lr AR. No matter how much you sink into a .22lr build, it will end up being less expensive in the long run, way less expensive for those that shoot a lot, than any other caliber build. Can't wait for the Sig 522 though!

Blacktail 8541
03-31-2009, 7:50 PM
The versatility of a conversion must be taken into account if only 1 AR is going to be purchased. A conversion kit will pay for itself and the cost of the rifle in very short order if used alot. People that have 22LR conversions tend to shoot a lot more because of the fun and cost saveings.

Another plus is 22lr can useally be shot at indoor ranges during bad weather.

Jerkdog
03-31-2009, 7:56 PM
For me, the answer is yes. In fact, I like having a fully dedicated .22lr AR patterned rifle (lower & upper) and think that it is well worth it. I enjoy shoot the .22lr caliber, mainly due to it's low cost.

I agree 100%. I'm also a little anal and like things to match, so I have a complete, dedicated Spike's .22LR AR (marked lower and dedicated upper). Now that I've got it "tuned", it's fun, fun, fun to shoot.

Jonathan Doe
03-31-2009, 8:21 PM
I am trying to get a match service rifle configured 22 LR upper and it will cost me about $1,100. I think it is totally worth its price.

bobbyblank
03-31-2009, 9:31 PM
I think since he got the new savage .22, he is required to get you one to :D. There was a nice RRA 5.56 upper in the marketplace i was looking at, have him buy that one and put a conversion in it since it doesnt have a BCG anyway......

JTFPEST
03-31-2009, 9:54 PM
I have both and I have a blast with the .22 it's a plinker first and formost, and if a person thinks of it as a training weapon I dont think you can go wrong. Plus you get the benifit of drop mags optics or whatever you want to do. The only bad thing is you can put as much into the .22 platform as a regular .223 But it is cheap shooting. Have fun.....

nicoroshi
03-31-2009, 10:08 PM

I agree with the "don't be afraid of the .223".
I took my 10 year old daughter to the range to shoot mine. She kept them all in a 6" ring at 50 yards (sitting with EOTech). Not bad for a 58" tall little girl's first time shooting a rifle :thumbsup: (Made daddy proud).

I went with a dedicated .22LR upper to use on one of my lowers.
Personally didn't like the idea of shooting .22LR out of my SDI S.S. barrel (chambered in 5.56) with a conversion kit. Figured why should I when I can just get a dedicated upper for the .22LR I want to shoot, and save the chamber wear on my match grade for shooting the 5.56 as it was made for.
Plus I already own a couple of complete lowers, and changing uppers is easy.
I say build/buy a rifle in .223/5.56 (you can handle it easy), and then if you want to shoot more cheaply look into the conversion or dedicated .22LR options.
Just my thoughts on it.

3GunFunShooter
03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
I love my Model 1 22LR upper. With the cost of ammo, it is my favorite gun to shoot. Mainly got it for short range practice for 3 gun. I did not want the hassle of having my 223 barrel to clean after shooting 22LR through it.
We had a 22LR 3 gun match this weekend at El Dorado gun club. Pistol and rifle, and shot gun. Fun and much cheaper to shoot. Was able to hit a 12" x 20" plate at 100 yards with just a red dot.
A lot of 3 gun shooters are getting the 22LR for practice, as ammo and reloading supplies are in short supply.

tortoisethunder
03-31-2009, 11:38 PM
For me, the answer is yes. In fact, I like having a fully dedicated .22lr AR patterned rifle (lower & upper) and think that it is well worth it. I enjoy shoot the .22lr caliber, mainly due to it's low cost. I like not having to switch anything out & around and not having to deal with "evil features" issues or maglocks on my .22lr AR. No matter how much you sink into a .22lr build, it will end up being less expensive in the long run, way less expensive for those that shoot a lot, than any other caliber build. Can't wait for the Sig 522 though!

Good advise...go with the dedicated 22lr...get comfortable with it then build a 223. I bet your boyfriend shoots the 22lr as much as you do. By the way do you have a sister? We don't have enough women shooters!

Shantel
04-01-2009, 2:59 PM
NICE! that really gives me motivation to want to shoot the .223!
haha, thank you for the advice. I'm most likely going to go with the conversion kit for now.. mainly for costs reasons and end up getting my dedicated upper later. (:

the .223 isnt necessarily scary more so I have to just get it over with and shoot it. kind of like jumping off the diving board for the first time! haha.

tell your daughter she's awesome! and thank her for the push! (:

I agree with the "don't be afraid of the .223".
I took my 10 year old daughter to the range to shoot mine. She kept them all in a 6" ring at 50 yards (sitting with EOTech). Not bad for a 58" tall little girl's first time shooting a rifle :thumbsup: (Made daddy proud).

I went with a dedicated .22LR upper to use on one of my lowers.
Personally didn't like the idea of shooting .22LR out of my SDI S.S. barrel (chambered in 5.56) with a conversion kit. Figured why should I when I can just get a dedicated upper for the .22LR I want to shoot, and save the chamber wear on my match grade for shooting the 5.56 as it was made for.
Plus I already own a couple of complete lowers, and changing uppers is easy.
I say build/buy a rifle in .223/5.56 (you can handle it easy), and then if you want to shoot more cheaply look into the conversion or dedicated .22LR options.
Just my thoughts on it.

Maverick831
04-01-2009, 3:54 PM
For the price just get a 10/22 for yourself :thumbsup:

BroncoBob
04-01-2009, 7:13 PM
I've got a dedicated Spikes 22ST build and haven't been sorry for all the $ spent on it.

CHS
04-01-2009, 7:22 PM

They are absolutely worth it.

This weekend I shot a steel match with my dedicated .22. $475 for the upper. If I was shooting 5.56 I would have gone through about 100$ worth of ammo. Instead, I used 6$ worth of ammo.

So lets see, I saved 94$. 4 more steel shoots and my upper is paid for in ammo savings alone.

dchang0
04-01-2009, 7:41 PM
I did not want the hassle of having my 223 barrel to clean after shooting 22LR through it.

+1

A dedicated .22LR upper is definitely worth it, for the cleaning part alone. Considering how dirty .22LR is, I definitely don't want to be scrubbing all that crap outta my SHTF 5.56 upper in case it might save my life later on.

Plus, it's nice having a training copy of my SHTF gun that I can mess with (swap optics in and out on the .22LR without having to go rezero the SHTF rig afterwards, etc.).

Maverick831
04-02-2009, 12:46 AM
+1

I definitely don't want to be scrubbing all that crap outta my SHTF 5.56 upper in case it might save my life later on.

Between a .22lr conversion and a dedicated upper I would go with a dedicated upper exactly for this reason. Shantel definitely needs her own SHTF gun, so I would not want to foul up the gas tube on her SHTF gun with a conversion kit. Now if you have an extra upper to play around with then go for the conversion kit. You're going to have to sacrifice one way or the other.. whether its $$$ or cleaning the **** out of your gas tube.

Plus, it's nice having a training copy of my SHTF gun that I can mess with (swap optics in and out on the .22LR without having to go rezero the SHTF rig afterwards, etc.).

Don't you always have to rezero when taking an optic off and putting it back on? Especially with different calibers?

ripcurlksm
04-02-2009, 1:26 AM

i would think its more of a money issue and saving long term on 22 ammo

rcfb73
04-02-2009, 2:06 AM
been pondering this queston also for myself. not due to the recoil issues, as i have shot some ARs before and was suprised how little recoil there was, but the cost of shooting .22 vs. .223.

main question now..is it bad if i only have one lower and 2 uppers and switch them back and forth?

Arteel
04-02-2009, 3:11 AM
We were talking about her being scared to shoot it. But yes, cheap ammo and just plain fun is a HUGE factor.

i would think its more of a money issue and saving long term on 22 ammo

luchador768
04-02-2009, 6:47 AM
I took out my drop in conversion yesterday and was pretty impressed. 400 rounds with zero FTF! The upper didn't seem overly dirty. I'm not too worried about fouling the gas tube, won't the first few rounds of 5.56 blow all that crap out?

rumble phish
04-02-2009, 7:27 AM
I say if you ant a tactical looking rifle in .22lr then either buy a 10/22 and "bubba" it out or find a GSG-5.

Dedicated uppers = too much money

conversions aren't bad though, for about $200 and you can always have the option to go back to 5.56

dchang0
04-02-2009, 9:31 AM
Don't you always have to rezero when taking an optic off and putting it back on? Especially with different calibers?

Yeah, I guess I didn't word that properly. I meant that I could swap out and try out different optics on my .22LR dedicated upper without changing the optic on my SHTF 5.56 upper, kinda using the .22LR as a guinea pig/testbed. If I find an optic I really like using the .22LR upper, then I can install it on my 5.56 and thereby keep the 5.56 as reliable and predictable as much of the time as possible.

CHS
04-02-2009, 9:39 AM
I say if you ant a tactical looking rifle in .22lr then either buy a 10/22 and "bubba" it out or find a GSG-5.

Dedicated uppers = too much money

You suggest tac'ing out a 10/22 or getting a GSG-5 but then suggest that a dedicated upper is too much money? Uhhhh, a dedicated upper is cheaper than a GSG-5. And to tac out a 10/22 would cost just as much as the dedicated upper, or also possibly more.

Every time I put a 550-ct box of Federal .22 through my dedicated upper, I have just saved roughly 190$. 2-3 boxes and your upper is paid for. 4 boxes and my entire AR-22 is paid for.

Dedicated uppers aren't too much money, 5.56 is.

With a dedicated upper, you can also use your AR in any indoor range.

Oh, and last but not least I have two words for you:

Detachable. Magazines.

CHS
04-02-2009, 9:41 AM
My dedicated AR-22:

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/ar15-0282.jpg

studiojon
04-02-2009, 9:58 AM
I run a Ciener kit in my M4 Clone its never let me down.. I always run a few 556 rounds after I shoot a brick to clean out the gas tube, I have let both BCG groups sit dirty for over 2 shooting trips re use and still no issues for either platforms yes it gets dirty but don't all guns?.. the Kit was the best option for me I hate being a pack mule at the range. I also run an ACOG which is zero'd for 556 the .22 isnt far off the 556 zero, I just compensate for that so I dont worry about having to dial in the ACOG for both platforms after all I just wanna plink away with .22 :43:

my main reason was to have 2 calibers in 1 kick arse platform without breaking my bank roll.
cause if money wasn't an issue for me I would just buy everything :cool2:

dchang0
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I also run an ACOG which is zero'd for 556 the .22 isnt far off the 556 zero, I just compensate for that

Well, you're developing a "training scar" by learning to compensate. In a high stress situation, your brain will see the ACOG but then wonder: "Do I compensate or not for this shot--let's see, do I have the kit installed or not?" That moment of confusion would have to be overcome by an intentional, "Aw hell, does it matter--just start shooting whatever you've got."

The worst part is that it's the same ACOG and the same upper, so all the signals into your brain indicate that it's the same gun. If you were at least running a different scope for the .22LR on the same upper, your brain would have a different context to work in (plus, that scope could be zeroed directly without having to compensate).

rumble phish
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. But just to back my opinion up a bit, if you want a .22lr why spend $600 on a dedicated upper (and in her case a complete lower as well, another $300) when you can set up a 10/22 VERY nicely for around $500. A GSG-5, when they become more readily available, will run about $600 as well. Far less than a dedicated "AR-22". Or better yet, if you want that "tacticool" .22 you can get a Walther G22 for less than $500. If you really want to shoot .22lr in an AR platform you absolute best bet is a conversion kit, $200.

Just my 2 cents......

You suggest tac'ing out a 10/22 or getting a GSG-5 but then suggest that a dedicated upper is too much money? Uhhhh, a dedicated upper is cheaper than a GSG-5. And to tac out a 10/22 would cost just as much as the dedicated upper, or also possibly more.

Every time I put a 550-ct box of Federal .22 through my dedicated upper, I have just saved roughly 190$. 2-3 boxes and your upper is paid for. 4 boxes and my entire AR-22 is paid for.

Dedicated uppers aren't too much money, 5.56 is.

With a dedicated upper, you can also use your AR in any indoor range.

Oh, and last but not least I have two words for you:

Detachable. Magazines.

CHS
04-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. But just to back my opinion up a bit, if you want a .22lr why spend $600 on a dedicated upper (and in her case a complete lower as well, another $300) when you can set up a 10/22 VERY nicely for around $500. A GSG-5, when they become more readily available, will run about $600 as well. Far less than a dedicated "AR-22". Or better yet, if you want that "tacticool" .22 you can get a Walther G22 for less than $500. If you really want to shoot .22lr in an AR platform you absolute best bet is a conversion kit, $200.

Just my 2 cents......

What I said was not opinion, it was fact. You said a dedicated upper is too much money. We weren't talking about a complete gun, just a dedicated upper. I happen to have a dedicated AR-22 and was using it as an example, but the argument is against a dedicated upper.

A dedicated upper starts at about $475. A tac'ed out 10/22 is going to be $400-500 and a GSG-5 is $600.

You're advocating spending MORE MONEY as a replacement for something that is "too much money".

rumble phish
04-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I used the concept of a complete build because she (the OP) was saying she wants an AR with a dedicated 22lr upper so that would include having to buy a complete lower as well. I also used a Spikes dedicated upper because it was mentioned by another member. Spikes lists it as $600 on their website. In my OPINION, why set up an AR with a .22lr dedicated upper even if you can swap another upper on it later? For what will be spent you could have two complete guns instead of just one lower and two uppers. But, whatever man. I'm not here to argue with you.

What I said was not opinion, it was fact. You said a dedicated upper is too much money. We weren't talking about a complete gun, just a dedicated upper. I happen to have a dedicated AR-22 and was using it as an example, but the argument is against a dedicated upper.

A dedicated upper starts at about $475. A tac'ed out 10/22 is going to be $400-500 and a GSG-5 is $600.

You're advocating spending MORE MONEY as a replacement for something that is "too much money".

studiojon
04-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Well, you're developing a "training scar" by learning to compensate. In a high stress situation, your brain will see the ACOG but then wonder: "Do I compensate or not for this shot--let's see, do I have the kit installed or not?" That moment of confusion would have to be overcome by an intentional, "Aw hell, does it matter--just start shooting whatever you've got."

The worst part is that it's the same ACOG and the same upper, so all the signals into your brain indicate that it's the same gun. If you were at least running a different scope for the .22LR on the same upper, your brain would have a different context to work in (plus, that scope could be zeroed directly without having to compensate).

lol I just use it for plinking you have no idea about my level of "training". Im using what works for me to get trigger time and I would be a fool to leave my kit installed after a plinking session at the range... if your training then yes it prob makes sense to mirror your field/issued gun for muscle memory but when on a budget you gotta roll with it adapt overcome etc

now lets get back to the OP subject :thumbsup:

well after some thought I think the OP already got the info she needed good luck with whatever road you take! im over this thread now! lol

dchang0
04-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Sorry, studiojon--

It wasn't my intention to call you out or anything, and I apologize for that. I was just trying to emphasize to the OP that a dedicated .22LR upper can be set up "mirrored"--as you said--to reinforce her training/practice. It's always good to develop good shooting habits/skills, no matter what level of expertise. Bad habits are just a waste of ammo...

studiojon
04-02-2009, 11:57 AM
no worries Dchang0.. thanks for the apology ... sorry to the op for getting a lil of there subject!

Shantel
04-02-2009, 8:55 PM
We were talking about her being scared to shoot it. But yes, cheap ammo and just plain fun is a HUGE factor.

dang... hahah I'm not that scared! :rolleyes:

bobbyblank
04-02-2009, 9:32 PM
dang... hahah I'm not that scared! :rolleyes:

Maybe not THAT scared, but pretty friggin close :thumbsup:

Arteel
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
lol, how about intimidated.