PDA

View Full Version : Legality of selling 30rd AR mags to active CA LEOs

THT
03-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Is it legal to sell 30rd AR mags to active CA LEOs? Or do the purchases have to be made by the department rather than the individual?

sacshooter1
03-31-2009, 11:01 AM
I buy standard cap mags all the time from various places that have a permit to sell them. All they need is my dept. ID and some cash, then I'm out the door. LEO's need department approval to purchase AW's, but not mags.

THT
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
I buy standard cap mags all the time from various places that have a permit to sell them. All they need is my dept. ID and some cash, then I'm out the door. LEO's need department approval to purchase AW's, but not mags.

So there's a specific permit a vendor/individual needs to sell standard cap mags to CA LEOs?

CHS
03-31-2009, 12:04 PM
So there's a specific permit a vendor/individual needs to sell standard cap mags to CA LEOs?

Yes, the permit is a large-capacity magazine permit which the state of California issues to FFL's. You must have an FFL in order to get a permit.

THT
03-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Got it, thanks!

Does the same apply to magazine repair kits?

rabagley
03-31-2009, 12:12 PM
No, the same rules to not apply to magazine repair kits. As long as you never construct an actual 30 round magazine, magazine repair kits are not prohibited for non-LE possession or import.

THT
03-31-2009, 12:13 PM
No, the same rules to not apply to magazine repair kits. As long as you never construct an actual 30 round magazine, magazine repair kits are not prohibited for non-LE possession or import.

And a non-resident seller does not need a permit to ship the repair kit to a CA resident?

domokun
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
And a non-resident seller does not need a permit to ship the repair kit to a CA resident?

A magazine repair kit is just a bunch of parts as long as they're fully disassembled and do not require a California DOJ issued Large-Capacity magazine permit in order to ship into or sell in CA. Please be sure to FULLY disassemble the magazine(s) prior to shipping into California.

mrjones98
03-31-2009, 4:18 PM
A related question - if a CA LEO purchases mag repair kits and builds new ones, it doesn't appear as if the exemption for LEO's applies to manufacturing? :confused:

tyrist
03-31-2009, 9:48 PM
A related question - if a CA LEO purchases mag repair kits and builds new ones, it doesn't appear as if the exemption for LEO's applies to manufacturing? :confused:

This is correct....however the argument could be made they purchased the complete magazine. Also CA LEO can import high capacity magazines so ordering them out of state is not an issue.