PDA

View Full Version : Out of state off list lower receiver legal?

jeff31b
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Hello, I am a new member and have just moved back here to CA from Hawaii, where I was stationed in the Army. While in the Army stationed in Hawaii, I bought a Smith & Wesson M&P-15 Tactical rifle, which is apparently not on the list of banned assault weapons that is posted here at Calguns. I currently have my rifle stored at my friends house in Las Vegas where the evil configuration is legal. My question being, if I buy and install the magazine lock, and a ten round magazine, can I bring my rifle into California and register it legally? Also, if doing this does make it legal, then is this just a waste of time because it will eventually be listed as an illegal AW in the near future? Thank you for your time, Jeff.

ldivinag
03-31-2009, 1:00 AM
welcome to CGN...

yes and no. once it is neutered, it doesnt need to be registered.

wait... registered as what? an AW?

bw, you dont happen to have a NIB sig P250 you are willing to sell????? ;)

jeff31b
03-31-2009, 1:11 AM
I bought this AR-15 in Hawaii, and I have the paperwork showing I'm the registered owner of the firearm. I just want to know if I "neuter" my rifle then it's legal to have here in CA? Also, do I need to actually re-register this rifle in California, since I bought the rifle out of state?

ke6guj
03-31-2009, 1:14 AM
No, there is no needt to re-register it since there is no registration of non-AW long guns in CA.

ldivinag
03-31-2009, 1:15 AM
hmmm... good question about long guns.

i know for handguns, you need to fill out paperwork and pay like $20 per with the state...

jeff31b
03-31-2009, 1:17 AM
Thank you for your fast reply. Sorry though, I have no Sig P250 for sale.

jeff31b
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Does anyone else have any input? Second opinions are always good.

rabagley
03-31-2009, 1:26 PM
Long guns do not require registration, and a properly configured AR is just a simple long gun.

In fact, the DOJ will get pissy with you if you attempt to register a long gun on the new resident form.

If you really strongly feel the need to register your long guns, you can do so, using a form called the voluntary registration form.

FS00008
03-31-2009, 1:26 PM
No registration.

Neuter it and you're good to go. Or you could go with no features and run it with an MMG and standard mag release...

ohsmily
03-31-2009, 1:31 PM
it will eventually be listed as an illegal AW in the near future?

Do you know something we don't know. What are you talking about? What list? What ban?

Josh3239
03-31-2009, 1:33 PM
Wow, in Hawaii you have to register all firearms and ammo. In California it is only registered AWs and handguns.

Mstrty
03-31-2009, 1:44 PM
I was under the impression that you would have to change the lower to OLL due to the fact that the MP15 is on the banned list by name. It is my thought that you would have to
1 change the lower to an OLL
2 buy or "permenatly" modify your current magazines to a 10 round configuration
3 install a device to not allow the mag to be removed other than by the use of a tool.
4 no need for registration of a 10 round fixed mag configured OLL

This is my understanding. Fear not If I am wrong someone will chime in.

ke6guj
03-31-2009, 1:51 PM
I was under the impression that you would have to change the lower to OLL due to the fact that the MP15 is on the banned list by name. It is my thought that you would have to
1 change the lower to an OLL

where do you see MP15 on the list? And the OP has a Smith & Wesson M&P 15, which is not listed. S&W didn't start making them until after all the lists came out.

2 buy or "permenatly" modify your current magazines to a 10 round configuration
3 install a device to not allow the mag to be removed other than by the use of a tool.
4 no need for registration of a 10 round fixed mag configured OLLcorrect on all three.

Mstrty
03-31-2009, 2:00 PM
where do you see MP15 on the list? And the OP has a Smith & Wesson M&P 15, which is not listed. S&W didn't start making them until after all the lists came out.

correct on all three.

My bad, please forgive me. I must have been sleeping when I read "the list":)

CHS
03-31-2009, 2:14 PM
Does anyone else have any input? Second opinions are always good.

The lower itself is inherently legal in CA since it is not on the list of AW's.

With a 10rd mag and a bullet button, this firearm is not an AW in CA, so you can just drive or mail it into the state.

California has no registration for long guns. Period. Once the gun is in this state there is no further burden upon you. No paperwork, no fees, no licenses.

Mstrty
03-31-2009, 2:27 PM
The lower itself is inherently legal in CA since it is not on the list of AW's.

With a 10rd mag and a bullet button, this firearm is not an AW in CA, so you can just drive or mail it into the state.

California has no registration for long guns. Period. Once the gun is in this state there is no further burden upon you. No paperwork, no fees, no licenses.

Yep that the way I see it. Have your friend install the bullet button or equivalent and get you rifle then enjoy.:thumbsup:

fairfaxjim
03-31-2009, 4:46 PM
it will eventually be listed as an illegal AW in the near future?

Do you know something we don't know. What are you talking about? What list? What ban?

:TFH: Tinfoil too tight!

JDay
03-31-2009, 5:01 PM
If the rifle is not on the list of banned "Assault Weapons" and is in a California legal configuration you can just bring it in. There is no registration of long guns in California. If you have any handguns you will need to register them with the state within 30 days of bringing them into the state which I believe is this form.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf