PDA

View Full Version : Shot a 5-7 today

reidnez
03-30-2009, 5:46 PM
The guy next to me at the range had one and offered to let me pop off a few rounds after asking me about my AR.

Pretty cool, not sure I'd run out and by one because I avoid exotic (expensive) calibers. The safety is in a really weird spot, I could barely reach it with my firing-hand thumb. The whole thing felt sort of like a heavy Airsoft gun...but that describes a lot of polymer pistols and isn't necessarily a hit on build quality.

Cold War also has some AR uppers chambered in this. It wouldn't be a bad idea if you could get one with an 8" or 10" barrel, keeping with the PDW concept, but I don't see the reason to have such a dinky round in a carbine or rifle. Not when 5.56 works just fine and is much cheaper and available everywhere.

pro defensive greg
03-30-2009, 6:02 PM
check into 5.7's armor piercing capabilities and you'll see why its such a big deal...the 20 round mag available in the actual united states isn't terrible either.

rips31
04-03-2009, 5:30 PM
wouldn't call it expensive. a 50rd box of ammo is less than $20.

safety is meant to be actuated by either your off-hand thumb or trigger-finger.

love it or leave it, but it's not a dinky round. a fiveseven pistol is alot smaller than an ar pistol and will probably do just as well.

round is meant for the p90. the pistol is just the companion piece. closest we can have is a free-state sbr ps90, which is more fun than an ar.

The guy next to me at the range had one and offered to let me pop off a few rounds after asking me about my AR.

Pretty cool, not sure I'd run out and by one because I avoid exotic (expensive) calibers. The safety is in a really weird spot, I could barely reach it with my firing-hand thumb. The whole thing felt sort of like a heavy Airsoft gun...but that describes a lot of polymer pistols and isn't necessarily a hit on build quality.

Cold War also has some AR uppers chambered in this. It wouldn't be a bad idea if you could get one with an 8" or 10" barrel, keeping with the PDW concept, but I don't see the reason to have such a dinky round in a carbine or rifle. Not when 5.56 works just fine and is much cheaper and available everywhere.

MrSlippyFist
04-04-2009, 9:02 PM
a 50rd box of ammo is less than $20.

+1

closest we can have is a free-state sbr ps90, which is more fun than an ar.

Another good point! I shot a P90 at ImpactGuns in UT and it was a blast.

bohoki
04-04-2009, 9:52 PM
its hard to believe they operate on straight blowback

i found some cases and thought they were rimfire

Vic
04-06-2009, 6:06 AM
anyone have expansion/ballistics reports of the 5-7 and it's non fmj ammo?

rips31
04-06-2009, 10:54 PM
check fivesevenforum.com or send a message to elite ammunition.

anyone have expansion/ballistics reports of the 5-7 and it's non fmj ammo?

Palindari
04-28-2009, 11:04 PM
It could look like this :D
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/palindari/cars/DSC00198.jpg

1Shewter
05-06-2009, 8:01 PM
A bit of clarification may be needed for the 5.7

The pistol isnt your general close range defense pistol. It was actually meant to be a mid range defense/offense pistol.

The bullet ends up at a max speed of 2,350 FPS give or take. Which makes it SCREAM to its target.

It's also a forward tumbling round so upon impact with flesh or any resistant material it leans forward and makes its presence known :thumbsup:

That combined with its armor piercing capability makes this thing a pretty fearsome battle pistol.

r08ert209cali
05-12-2009, 6:35 AM
I would love to have one. It would be nice to have a midrange sniper pistol.

Palindari
05-12-2009, 10:56 AM
The baby gets people's attention - 1Shewter's correct, you literally hear the bullet travel shooting at targets 100 ft or more :thumbsup:

Sorry, but the P90 just looks too girlie for my tastes - going to get a FS2000 soon instead. And the AR upper conversion just looks odd due to the fact that the mag well acts as the spent casing ejection point... :rolleyes:

eroberts88
05-24-2009, 1:58 PM
I thought the only AP rounds for the 5-7 were military/LE only... the civilian versions were watered down. Am I incorrect in my assumptions?

Rukus
05-24-2009, 2:14 PM
I believe they were around for a short time and available to anyone. FN stopped importing the AP rounds for anyone except LE/Mil. but you can still find the AP rounds being sold if you look hard enough. IIRC there was a post on 57forum where a box of 50rnds sold on GB for $799!!

M. Sage
05-24-2009, 2:20 PM
Even the "watered down" ammo should defeat lower levels of kevlar protection.

excursel
05-24-2009, 4:52 PM
i love my ps90

Alphahookups
05-25-2009, 4:28 PM
Just to add a comparison, my cat is willing to show you the difference between a 45ACP round and a 5.7 ss192 round. :P

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b366/Alphahookups/CIMG3171.jpg

CALTAC
06-09-2009, 12:28 AM
This was from another board and I thought you guys might want to check out the difference!!

I did some backyard testing and one of the test was wet phone books. Shooting phone books doesn't tell much but it is fun.
It was interesting that two 45ACP good defense bullets only penetrated 2.25 inches, while the 5.7 quickly turned side ways and penetrated 6 inches. The VMAX expanded as it is designed to do.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww117/DOC731/SS195.jpg

eccvets
06-17-2009, 2:41 PM
check into 5.7's armor piercing capabilities and you'll see why its such a big deal...the 20 round mag available in the actual united states isn't terrible either.

adn there are 10+round extensions!!!