PDA

View Full Version : Zastava M76: Muzzle brake or flash suppressor? Device details added

timdps
03-30-2009, 5:34 PM
Opinions? Thoughts? Doubts?

Thanks,

tim

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 5:41 PM
I'd call it a muzzle break or a muzzle end device. The F-word doesn't need to be used.

bwiese
03-30-2009, 5:47 PM
Opinions? Thoughts? Doubts?

Thanks,

tim

Looks like an FH to me, it's similar to the M1A's FH.

timdps
03-30-2009, 6:03 PM
Looks like an FH to me, it's similar to the M1A's FH.

How does that jibe with the calguns flow chart definition?

762cavalier
03-30-2009, 6:19 PM
How does that jibe with the calguns flow chart definition?
end of that device is not bore diameter. Looks larger than bore diameter to me
Bweise has it it is the f word.

Gator Monroe
03-30-2009, 6:36 PM
It took me 3 min.s to remember Zastava ! (your bad):mad:

timdps
03-30-2009, 7:18 PM
end of that device is not bore diameter. Looks larger than bore diameter to me
Bweise has it it is the f word.

I sure would not want to try to put a 9mm round through the brake hole...
It looks very close to bore diameter to me.

timdps
03-30-2009, 7:20 PM
It took me 3 min.s to remember Zastava ! (your bad):mad:

Sorry Gator, definitely my bad...

tim

bigstick61
03-30-2009, 8:26 PM
Definitely a flash suppressor.

762cavalier
03-30-2009, 9:04 PM
I sure would not want to try to put a 9mm round through the brake hole...
It looks very close to bore diameter to me.

from that pic the opening of the Flash suppressor is bigger than the barrel diameter.;)

Wildhawk66
03-30-2009, 9:27 PM
Looks like a flash hider from that pic. Post a pic showing a straight on view of the muzzle and you'll get less speculation.

timdps
04-02-2009, 2:44 PM
The exit hole in the device is .46" There are 5 slots, as in a star: one at the top, then 10, 2, 4 and 8.

So the exit hole is marginally larger than the bore by .14" (just over 1/8").

Star pattern in the slots is certainly designed to cut down on muzzle climb and the top slot directs flash INTO the shooter's vision.

J&G advert calls it a muzzle brake.

Going by the CalGuns AW flow chart, I would say its a muzzle brake. If more experienced people here think this device is a flash suppressor, then the Flash Suppressor definitions in the AW flow chart would seem to need to be revised.

Thanks much,

Tim

bwiese
04-02-2009, 3:05 PM
The exit hole in the device is .46" There are 5 slots, as in a star: one at the top, then 10, 2, 4 and 8.

So the exit hole is marginally larger than the bore by .14" (just over 1/8").

Star pattern in the slots is certainly designed to cut down on muzzle climb and the top slot directs flash INTO the shooter's vision.

J&G advert calls it a muzzle brake.

Going by the CalGuns AW flow chart, I would say its a muzzle brake. If more experienced people here think this device is a flash suppressor, then the Flash Suppressor definitions in the AW flow chart would seem to need to be revised.

You're getting lost in trivialities.

Note the near-100% similarity in overall structure to the M1A's flash hider.

Why do you want some useless piece of metal on there that'll get you in trouble?

Put a thread protector on, remove it, whatever else.

No need for legal fights on something useless.

timdps
04-02-2009, 5:03 PM
You're getting lost in trivialities.

Note the near-100% similarity in overall structure to the M1A's flash hider.

Why do you want some useless piece of metal on there that'll get you in trouble? Put a thread protector on, remove it, whatever else.

No need for legal fights on something useless.

The brake and sight are one piece and the combo does not want to come off even when the pins holding it are knocked out. This leaves the option of chopping off the brake with a hacksaw or grinder, something I would prefer not to do to an $1800 rifle,

Just ordered a PSL Raddlock to ship out to Freakshow. Hopefully it will fit the M76 and solve the problem.

That (hopefully) takes care of my problems, but there is still the problem with the Calguns AW chart definitions of flash suppressor. Following the chart, one would very reasonably believe this device to be a muzzle brake and not a flash suppressor.

Anyone that does not 'know" that an M14 muzzle device is a "feature" under CA laws might also reasonably assume that it was a muzzle brake if using the Calguns AW chart definition and illustration of muzzle brake/flash suppressor.

Tim