PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to own a PT22 in Califronia?

shonuff
03-30-2009, 12:21 PM
I'd be relocating from Oregon with it.

ke6guj
03-30-2009, 12:28 PM
AFAIK, there is no AW characteristics on that, so it should be legal.

Its not on the Roster of "not unsafe" handguns, but that doesn't matter if you are bringing it in as a Personal Handgun Importer. You will need to register it within 60 days of bringing into the state.

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf

And don't bring in any 11+ round mags for it.

shonuff
03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you, I found something on it but wasn't exactly sure. I have a hard time reading that legal Jargon.

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Be sure to get the replacement barrel, because the DoJerks don't like threaded barrels on pistols.

ke6guj
03-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Be sure to get the replacement barrel, because the DoJerks don't like threaded barrels on pistols.
I wasn't aware of the Taurus PT22 having a threaded barrel.

Maybe you were thinkng of the Walther P22?

ke6guj
03-30-2009, 12:51 PM
For the OP,
here is the PC that you need to be concerned with.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

I've been working with obeygiant on a comprehensive handgun legality chart that you can see here. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=157216

Its still in progress but you can see the latest revision of it here. http://www.4shared.com/file/95512237/6de4d47f/CAHGID-FlowChart-03-28-09-r915-SideA-B.html

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 2:11 PM
I wasn't aware of the Taurus PT22 having a threaded barrel.

Maybe you were thinkng of the Walther P22?Oh yes, quite right. Silly me.

But anyway...

Dude! If you're still in the process of considering things...IT'S NOT WORTH IT! You've got the wine, coast, etc. up there...keep your freedom!

shonuff
03-30-2009, 8:25 PM
?????? no threaded barrels? where would I get a non threaded barrel?

dfletcher
03-30-2009, 8:53 PM
?????? No threaded barrels? where would I get a non threaded barrel?

Meaning threaded on the muzzle end, not the tail end. With the Taurus you don't have to worry since the barrel is not threaded at the muzzle. The Walther 22 semi auto has a threaded barrel and is considered an AW in CA.

ke6guj
03-30-2009, 8:56 PM
YOu have a Taurus PT22, right? do you see threads on the end of the barrel?? Looking at the taurus site, I don't see threaded barrels on the PT22. But if you had replaced the barrel with a threaded barrel, then put the original barrel back on, or purchase a replacement from Taurus.

Yellowfin was thinking of a different firearm, the Walther P22, which has a threaded barrel. But there is a modifcation avialable for that to make it CA-legal.

shonuff
03-30-2009, 9:07 PM
Threads for a silencer right?

ke6guj
03-30-2009, 9:11 PM
correct.

(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.

shonuff
03-30-2009, 9:27 PM
Don't have one of those, it would come in handy when sneaking up on zombies.