PDA

View Full Version : My Good Cause rattled through here today.

bulgron
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
You guy feel that Good Cause jolt the Bay Area today? It was just a little Good Cause: 4.4. I wonder if I'll be able to get a CCW permit before that next 7.0 to 8.0 Good Cause shakes everything loose around here. :mad:

Come on Nordyke!

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Apparently justice for the 2nd Amendment cause moves slower than tectonic plates. :mad:

Fjold
03-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Why? The last 7.0-8.0 didn't give any reason to have a firearm.

bulgron
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Why? The last 7.0-8.0 didn't give any reason to have a firearm.

We got lucky for Loma Prieta:

Sadly, it only took people two hours to start looting after the tragic Northridge Earthquake, which struck at 4:30 in the morning on Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, January 17, 1994. According to the Los Angeles Fire Department operations notes for that day, "by 7:00am, there were over 100 active incidents being handled by field resources."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/230627/what_does_selfdefense_have_to_do_with.html

As it is, I suspect we were pretty close to a lot of problems in the Bay Area after that earthquake:

"We entered Days Market at about 5:25 pm. The floor had 2 inches of liquor and glass bottles broken. On top of that was a layer of alcohol-soaked merchandise. I walked on top of the merchandise to get to candles and water. It was almost debilitatingly pungent from all the alcohol and the lights were out. There was a line of approximately 10 people and a guy tried to walk out with a 12 pack of beer so the owner had to deal with attempted looting; the guy eventually paid.

http://users.resist.ca/~kirstena/pageeqlomaprieta.html

If memory serves, they said that had the Loma Prieta gone on for just a little while longer, every overpass in the Bay Area would have fallen over.

IMO, it would be very easy for the Bay Area to turn into a lawless corridor should a large earthquake hit. So just because the Loma Prieta didn't result in wide-spread lawlessness doesn't mean the next one won't.

Part of engaging in earthquake preparedness exercises is to be, you know, prepared. And one of the things that I want should another big one hit before I can escape this hell hole is a CCW, just in case.

Librarian
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
You guy feel that Good Cause jolt the Bay Area today? It was just a little Good Cause: 4.4. I wonder if I'll be able to get a CCW permit before that next 7.0 to 8.0 Good Cause shakes everything loose around here. :mad:

Come on Nordyke!

Ah. Morgan Hill (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40234037.htm). Didn't feel it up here.

It'd be nice to think that the expected three days 'on your own' would cause no problems. I don't expect 'nice', but then again, I pretty much don't expect that 'concealed' will be much of an issue then, either.

That's not a problem if one is home, probably. If you're not home, though, it sure would be useful to have a pistol on hand, I think. Could be a long walk home.

bulgron
03-30-2009, 1:04 PM
Ah. Morgan Hill (http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40234037.htm). Didn't feel it up here.

It'd be nice to think that the expected three days 'on your own' would cause no problems. I don't expect 'nice', but then again, I pretty much don't expect that 'concealed' will be much of an issue then, either.

That's not a problem if one is home, probably. If you're not home, though, it sure would be useful to have a pistol on hand, I think. Could be a long walk home.

I took a emergency training class with my city a few years ago. This is like the CERT training, only longer and more elaborate.

In the course of the training, we did exercises on how to evaluate structures in a post-earthquake scenario to see if they had to evacuated. It made me wonder what happens if you're forced out of your house due to structural issues. Can you legally take a gun with you? Probably not. At least, not without a CCW.

Or, what happens if a quake hits that knocks all the water out for the Bay Area? That's a long supply chain, and it isn't in particularly good repair anymore. It could be a lot longer than 3 days of going to aid stations for water before things get back to normal.

Before Katrina, I didn't particularly worry about the whole firearms issue in the face of a large-scale natural disaster. I assumed that the authorities would just turn a blind eye to law-abiding citizens seeing to their own personal security. Now I know better.

berto
03-30-2009, 1:05 PM

My local FD said the 3 days on our own is overly optimistic for the big one. Maybe he wanted the CERT class to be over prepared, maybe it was specific for our location, I'm aiming for 7-10 days.

3 days is a camping trip. Maybe a little uncomfortable but fairly easy. Getting into say day 8 with no power, no shower, low rations and frayed nerves is a different story for most people. I can't imagine I'd be much fun to be around after a week of stressful urban camping and I can't imagine I'd put up with very much crap from anybody dumb or desperate enough to make trouble.

wash
03-30-2009, 1:47 PM
If there was an earthquake big enough to make me evacuate, I would open carry and then I would get to somewhere safe.

I don't see it as a problem.

If they send in the goon squad to disarm everyone that would suck but shall issue CCW won't help that really. It would be nice to have shall issue CCW before the quake so that people would think a lot harder before they start looting but that is a logic that our police don't seem to follow.

bulgron
03-30-2009, 2:51 PM
If there was an earthquake big enough to make me evacuate, I would open carry and then I would get to somewhere safe.

I don't see it as a problem.

If they send in the goon squad to disarm everyone that would suck but shall issue CCW won't help that really. It would be nice to have shall issue CCW before the quake so that people would think a lot harder before they start looting but that is a logic that our police don't seem to follow.

Incorrect.

Thanks to the Katrina bill (both state and federal versions exist now), LEO cannot confiscate your firearms if you are in LEGAL possession of them.

In California, you cannot legally carry a weapon in most places outside of the wilderness unless you have either a badge or a CCW.

Therefore, if you don't have a CCW, and a quake forced you to evacuate, the only way you can take your weapons with you is locked in the trunk of your car. In other words, locked up just when you need them the most.

The Katrina bill + the threat of a knock-down earthquake is one of the reasons why I want a CCW. Of course, CLEO around here doesn't think that this is a very good reason. Which is why we need Nordyke and subsequently either unrestricted LOC and/or shall-issue CCW. I'll take either one. But, in reality, I want both.

ZRX61
03-30-2009, 3:42 PM
I lived in Northridge during the '94 quake & just about everyone on my street was open carrying for at least the first 7 days..even rifles.

wash
03-30-2009, 4:22 PM
Last I checked, unloaded open carry was legal except in school zones and a few other places so I'll have my featureless AR slung over my shoulder and my Glock at my hip.

As for the Katrina bill, I don't think that will stop our politicians at all.

But things will have to be pretty bad before I evacuate. At that point I'll probably be one of many that are trying to protect themselves and I won't be sticking around very long.