PDA

View Full Version : More Assault Weapons Ban Blarney Stone

64Chevy
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I saw this in the Sunday San Gabriel Valley Tribune. I assume it is also in the Pasadena Star News, being they are almost same paper.

http://www.sgvtribune.com/editorial/ci_12018739

------------------------------------------------------------------
"Battling gangs should be a central priority in the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department crime prevention strategy. Often, the majority of a community's violent crimes are gang-related.
That's why we agree with the sheriff's Gifts for Guns program started in 2005 in which people can turn in their guns for cash. While not a panacea for stopping gang violence, this will help remove handguns and rifles ($100) and assault weapons ($200) from the street. One less gun in the hands of these thugs could mean one less drive-by shooting.

This year's program - which begins this weekend and will pick up next weekend (April 3-4) in Rowland Heights - will get a boost from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in the form of $1 million to the county, part of a $9 million infusion statewide toward anti-gang efforts.

Speaking of assault weapons, there is more the country can do to rid these weapons from our streets than simply asking for a voluntary turn-in. That is, Congress must renew the ban on the sale of assault weapons which expired in 2004 and was not renewed by the Republican-led Congress, despite hints of support by President George W. Bush.

Five years later and the assault weapon has become the gun of choice for multiple homicides by desperate killers or even parolees bent on not returning to jail. In Oakland, parolee Lovelle Mixon, after shooting two police officers in cold blood during a traffic stop, then ran to an apartment where he stashed his AK-47.

When two more swat officers came into the room, Mixon took advantage of the weapon's ultimate killing power to shoot through the closet and fatally wound two more police officers. The funeral for the four slain Oakland officers took place on Friday.
In Alabama earlier this month, Michael McLendon used an assault weapon, an AR-15, among other guns he had collected, to slaughter 10, including family members, neighbors and whoever else stood in his way.

And last Christmas in Covina, Bruce Pardo massacred an entire family using guns and a flame-throwing device. Police said he bought five guns within five months from the same gun dealer.

While a renewed assault weapons ban probably would not have halted Pardo's gun-buying spree and ultimate killing rampage, a ban can be another tool for police and sheriff's deputies to possibly prevent some crimes and give street officers the upper hand when or if a gun battle erupts.

Not only will a renewed assault weapons ban be a tool for fighting gangs in the United States, it may help stem the flow of these weapons into Mexico. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder, at a press conference last month, said the president believes a renewed assault weapons ban could help Mexican authorities in their battle with local drug cartels.

More reason why President Obama and the Congress should get busy on a renewal of the assault weapons ban.

But before Congress can act, many can turn in assault weapons and other firearms for cash to the Sheriff's Department. The turned-in guns would be destroyed and melted down and the metal used to make other products. It's one of the best kinds of recycling imaginable."

--------------------------------------------------------

Wrong on so many accounts.
Please "share your thoughts" on their blog.

Sorry about that Chief,

64chevy

gunn
03-30-2009, 10:20 AM
We need another gunbuy in the Bay Area.... after I stock up on some Nagant Revolvers :)

-g

Gator Monroe
03-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Tool ? the writer of this article is a tool !

Dr Rockso
03-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Most of the people who go to the buybacks are either pro-gun guys who are gaming the system by turning in cheap junk, or indifferent people who simply don't know what their property is worth. Neither group is predisposed to committing crimes with their guns, but it still ends up being a victory for the antis when they get 'guns off the street'.

The pro-gun side needs to realize that turning in their guns only empowers the antis. Just say no to gun buybacks. Maybe we should have appraisers go to these things to tell the old lady with a WWII M1 Carbine how much her late husband's gun is really worth.

Tankhatch
03-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Wrong on AW's used in crime,,,, FBI says about 1% or 2 % are used in all crimes. Hand guns are the weapon of choice. Sawed off shotguns out number AW's in usage as well. The media quotes HCI studies,,,,, as Truth.

nick
03-30-2009, 10:56 AM
We need another gunbuy in the Bay Area.... after I stock up on some Nagant Revolvers :)

-g

You know, those are a part of History. If you feel the need to turn them into scrap, sell them to me. What kind of gift cards do you prefer? Whole Foods, Victoria Secret, Circuit City? :p

xLusi0n
03-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Gun buyback didn't work in Iraq, and it won't work in the U.S.

RomanDad
03-30-2009, 1:20 PM
Wrong on AW's used in crime,,,, FBI says about 1% or 2 % are used in all crimes. Hand guns are the weapon of choice. Sawed off shotguns out number AW's in usage as well. The media quotes HCI studies,,,,, as Truth.

Please dont confuse the issue with facts....

CCWFacts
03-30-2009, 1:29 PM
Speaking of assault weapons, there is more the country can do to rid these weapons from our streets than simply asking for a voluntary turn-in. That is, Congress must renew the ban on the sale of assault weapons which expired in 2004 and was not renewed by the Republican-led Congress, despite hints of support by President George W. Bush.

I hate these liars. The 1994 AWB did not in any way limit the sale of AR-15s or semi-auto AK47s. The day after it went into effect, manufacturers were still churning them out, shops were still selling them, etc, with only one difference: no flash hiders. Or actually they could replace the "flash hider" with a "muzzle break" which is so close to being the same thing that it's almost impossible to make a legal distinction between the two. Anyone who is claiming that taking flash hiders off of rifles sold in America is going to end the drug wars in Mexico should probably be checked into a drug treatment program himself...

Casey
03-30-2009, 4:44 PM
Check the comments. Not one in favor. Many good informed ones slamming the idiots that published this lying drivel though.

This brings up an interesting phenomenon that I am noticing. Since news services now compete directly with the net, they have all decided to publish some version of themselves on-line. If you can't beat them, join them kinda thing. They also all have realized that the net is instantly interactive and are taking advantage of that feature. Don't wanna be left behind like with the old technology don't you know. So most have a comment section directly relating to an article published as the one linked above.

This creates for us a major opportunity that we don't have with TV, a newspaper or magazine (aka traditional media). That is the ability to put your 2cents in as soon as anything is posted on-line by one of these news services (I am using the term "news" loosely).

So here's the deal. When these articles are found good or bad, post and link them up as everyone here has been. When you see a comment section put your two cents in...every time. This will be your chance to be heard on gun rights issues. Instead of yelling at the TV or ranting yet again to your significant other while reading the paper you can take some action. 100 / 200 pro gun comments on every single gun article will not go unnoticed. We can hit them up with actual facts (I know they don't care about them) and remind politicians that this issue will end their career pronto if they are on the wrong side of it.

It's already happening on most every article I have seen on-line in recent days. We can all give it a bigger push and eventually backlash these pandering idiots into submission.

Alan Block
03-30-2009, 5:49 PM
turned in a piece of junk. A Spanish made revolver made in 1917 that used .455 webley. It may at one point have had some collectors value but not after it blew a chamber while I was shooting it. I did not even notice it at the time but when I tried to fire the next shot it would not rotate. Anyway $100 is better than nothing.

cousinkix1953
03-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Most of the people who go to the buybacks are either pro-gun guys who are gaming the system by turning in cheap junk, or indifferent people who simply don't know what their property is worth. Neither group is predisposed to committing crimes with their guns, but it still ends up being a victory for the antis when they get 'guns off the street'.

The pro-gun side needs to realize that turning in their guns only empowers the antis. Just say no to gun buybacks. Maybe we should have appraisers go to these things to tell the old lady with a WWII M1 Carbine how much her late husband's gun is really worth.
I know of a Salinas gun store owner, who buys cheap handguns (Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin etc) at wholesale prices! Then he sells them to the police buyback programs in the San Fransicko/Oaktown area and makes a small profit doing it...

Dr Rockso
03-31-2009, 1:09 AM
I know of a Salinas gun store owner, who buys cheap handguns (Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin etc) at wholesale prices! Then he sells them to the police buyback programs in the San Fransicko/Oaktown area and makes a small profit doing it...
Yeah, I know that this is the case with a LOT of the buybacks. At the Oakland buyback last year there were apparently dealers from Nevada and Arizona with cardboard boxes filled with rusted old cheap handguns that they sold for $200 a pop. Guess what the newspaper headlines said: Oakland Buyback Gets Hundreds of Guns off the Street. The antis don't care that they're getting ripped off since a) it's not their money and b) they're going to torch the guns anyway. Its all about spending your tax dollars to get their propaganda out there. We need to quit helping them.

gd-bh
03-31-2009, 3:51 AM
Dumb as they might be, they are catching on to the "dump for a profit" game. The local rip off...errr..buy back last weekend only gave $50 if the gun was in non working order. Coming soon to all I'd bet.

bernieb90
03-31-2009, 7:41 AM
And last Christmas in Covina, Bruce Pardo massacred an entire family using guns and a flame-throwing device. Police said he bought five guns within five months from the same gun dealer.

While a renewed assault weapons ban probably would not have halted Pardo's gun-buying spree and ultimate killing rampage, a ban can be another tool for police and sheriff's deputies to possibly prevent some crimes and give street officers the upper hand when or if a gun battle erupts.

Do they even read this stuff before they print it? So he brings up a murder that has nothing to do with "assault weapons" as filler and then says that banning them will do nothing to stop these types of crimes. So case closed, banning "assault weapons" has no effect on reducing murders he said it himself. "possibly prevent some crimes" is the weakest argument I have ever heard. Maybe banning journalists will "possibly prevent some stupidity".

I also see no mention of current existing California, and Federal laws that were broken by a convicted felon when he was in posession of an already banned (in California) weapon, and used said weapon to murder four police officers.

Ban "assault weapons" and criminals will still get their hands on them. Mexico is a prime example of what happens when guns are banned, and only criminals have guns. I think it ironic that the response to Mexico's violence is to call for more bans here when clearly they do not work there either.