PDA

View Full Version : Colt AR!!

walter
03-30-2009, 9:11 AM
alright here's what happen. someone i know has a pre-ban colt AR and it is ON LIST.

he wants to give it to me but dont want to deal with legal stuff, I'm assuming I can buy a stripped lower and swap all the parts over? will everything fit perfectly? does it need a new LPK? i know I'll need a bullet button or monsterman grip

here's the obligatory pic
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/str8newb/ar.jpg

Jicko
03-30-2009, 9:18 AM
Let him keeps his lower receiver and large-capacity magazines.

Give you everything else. Then you go buy your lower, and MMG or magazine fixing device (bullet button etc) + 10 rounds mag.

It is best for you to get your LPK too... it is POSSIBLE to strip his LPK parts too... but a couple of them are not the easiest....

walter
03-30-2009, 9:21 AM
ok so I should get a stripped lower and LPK. cool. I think I want to splurge since I'm getting the AR for free :) so what's the best quality

also he doesnt want the lower so I'm gonna just sell it out of state, I can do this right?

vf111
03-30-2009, 9:25 AM
Just take the upper & A2 stock and build your own OLL. The pins on a Colt commerical LPK are slightly larger in diameter than a standard LPK so unless you want to ream out the holes in a standard OLL, you're better off buying a new LPK. BTW, my best friend had one exactly like that before he passed away tragically in 1998. I wanted to buy it from the estate (his son would've been OK with it) as a momento but the cops wound up taking it away as evidence (although it had nothing to do w/ his circumstances) - hopefully it's in some sergeant's patrol car now and didn't go to the scrapper.

Jicko
03-30-2009, 9:25 AM
ok so I should get a stripped lower and LPK. cool. I think I want to splurge since I'm getting the AR for free :) so what's the best quality

also he doesnt want the lower so I'm gonna just sell it out of state, I can do this right?

NO YOU CANNOT. It is NOT yours.

skkeeter
03-30-2009, 9:26 AM
You don't need to buy the complete lower parts kit. It will be much cheeper to just buy a few parts that are hard to change between lowers like the bolt catch pin, and trigger guard pin. Most of the other lower parts are really easy to uninstall. Plus, most places have the small pieces in stock unlike complete LPK's. Selling the colt lower out of state (assuming it's a free state, and your friend who owns it is present), should be fine.

Japsican
03-30-2009, 9:27 AM

YOU can't sell it because there is no way for you to legally obtain the lower. It can NEVER be yours...but HE can sell it out of state.

skkeeter
03-30-2009, 9:30 AM
YOU can't sell it because there is no way for you to legally obtain the lower. It can NEVER be yours...but HE can sell it out of state.

Wrong. If you moved to a free state you could legally own it.

Japsican
03-30-2009, 9:32 AM

Well of course. I'm assuming that's if he lives and stays in CA.

Edit: As Jicko has stated. This is only possible if the receiver has been legally transferred.

Jicko
03-30-2009, 9:40 AM
You don't need to buy the complete lower parts kit. It will be much cheeper to just buy a few parts that are hard to change between lowers like the bolt catch pin, and trigger guard pin. Most of the other lower parts are really easy to uninstall. Plus, most places have the small pieces in stock unlike complete LPK's. Selling the colt lower out of state (assuming it's a free state, and your friend who owns it is present), should be fine.

COLT.... it is more than just the bolt-catch and bolt-catch pin.... the trigger is not compatible either...

If OP is not familiar with the AR, it is very hard for him to get all the right parts...

So.... to make it simple.... get a new LPK... duh!

Jicko
03-30-2009, 9:43 AM

Wrong. OP's friend CANNOT just GIVE OP the firearm. So, he can't "own" it, no matter where.

dont want to deal with legal stuff

The OP's friend would need to deal with SOME legal stuff, like going to a FFL, officially transferring the firearm to the OP, even if the OP is out of state.

Actually the OP would need to go out of state NOW, for him to be able to take possession of OP's friend's lower receiver.

skkeeter
03-30-2009, 9:53 AM
COLT.... it is more than just the bolt-catch and bolt-catch pin.... the trigger is not compatible either...

If OP is not familiar with the AR, it is very hard for him to get all the right parts...

My bad.

walter
03-30-2009, 10:35 AM
ok so I can have my friend sell it on gunbroker... it doesn't matter because it goes to an FFL>Buyer anyways

thanks for all the help guys!

Sicarius
03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
You can use the complete upper and the stock is perfectly useable. The lower is not here in this state and you can use the LPK. You can either ream out the new lower or have some brass bushings machined to sleave the hammer and trigger to the smaller pin size. It is a bit of work but I personally like the colt trigger parts more than most...
Kevin

CHS
03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Is the gun actually registered as an AW?

If it is not, transporting it out of state for a sale is a felony.

Technical Ted
03-30-2009, 1:11 PM

Uh. Maybe I've been out of the loop and missed something?

The only Colt lower parts that I know of that are incompatible with other lowers machined to "military spec"--since the late 1980's--are the trigger, hammer, disconnector, trigger pin and hammer pin. Possibly the front pivot pin if the lower is a "big hole" lower or the pivot pin detent well wasn't drilled.

BTW everything can be stripped off a lower if you do it right.

Hopi
03-30-2009, 1:18 PM
I can't seem to remember if we reached a consensus, so for purely academic reasons...

-is a 'listed by name' AW still an AW if not in a semi-auto configuration? Do not AW laws apply only to semi-auto centerfire firearms?

-Couldn't the OP just hold onto the stripped lower, in state, without violating any AW laws? Later building it into a compliant rifle if desired?

series8217
03-30-2009, 2:08 PM
I can't seem to remember if we reached a consensus, so for purely academic reasons...

-is a 'listed by name' AW still an AW if not in a semi-auto configuration? Do not AW laws apply only to semi-auto centerfire firearms?

-Couldn't the OP just hold onto the stripped lower, in state, without violating any AW laws? Later building it into a compliant rifle if desired?

If it's on the list, the receiver makes it an assault weapon regardless of features. That means even a stripped Colt lower is an assault weapon.

Hopi
03-30-2009, 2:12 PM
If it's on the list, the receiver makes it an assault weapon regardless of features. That means even a stripped Colt lower is an assault weapon.

A receiver is not a semiauto firearm. I'm pretty sure we have documentation from the DOJ on that point....

CHAPTER 2.3. ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS
CONTROL ACT OF 1989
LISTING
The ACT provides in part:
12276. As used in this chapter, “assault weapon” shall
mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

bwiese
03-30-2009, 2:15 PM

Well, his friend just 'outed' him if that gun is not a reg'd AW.

Possession of a stripped lower is a defendable case but not recommended conduct. I wouldn't have one, and I have sufficient resources to deal with issues, it's just stoopid for a $200 receiver.

Also that would raise but not eliminate burden of proof of prior crime of illegal AW possession.

All parties need to STFU about the status of the gun if queried.

Hopi
03-30-2009, 2:17 PM
Well, his friend just 'outed' him if that gun is not a reg'd AW.

Possession of a stripped lower is a defendable case but not recommended conduct. I wouldn't have one, and I have sufficient resources to deal with issues, it's just stoopid for a $200 receiver.

Also that would raise but not eliminate burden of proof of prior crime of illegal AW possession.

All parties need to STFU about the status of the gun if queried.

I understand that the $200 receiver is not financially worth much, certainly not a 10K retainer fee, but isn't there a way to challenge/clarify this situation through the DOJ/OAL?