PDA

View Full Version : Former SF mayor Willie calls for AW ban

Fat_Rat
03-30-2009, 12:08 AM
Just saw this on the paper thought I would share.

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/williesworld/

Assault weapons have no place on streets
Willie Brown

Sunday, March 29, 2009

If there's one lesson to be learned from the tragedy in Oakland, it's that there should be no debate about taking assault weapons off the streets.

Willie's World

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no civil liberties issue here. There is no justification for an AK-47 in private hands. Period.

There used to be a nationwide ban on assault rifles, until it expired in 2004. We should bring it back.

As for what to do in high-crime neighborhoods, I've been there, and the only answer is to be tough.

Public safety cannot be subjected to popularity. You've got to execute on the basis of what you believe will make it safe, and you've got to be prepared to take the heat.

Police departments are paramilitary organizations. They can't be made up of social workers. Officers risk their lives every day, and you've got to back them.

If there's an incident like the BART police shooting of Oscar Grant, you have to be decisive as well. Investigations have to be quick and they have to be thorough.

But regardless of the rhetoric you hear in some street protests, this is not the '60s.

In the '60s, African Americans didn't have all the protections we have now.

We didn't have power in the cities, with people like Elihu Harris or myself as mayors. We didn't have Eric Holder as attorney general. We didn't have Barack Obama as president.

We're past the time when people weren't being served at lunch counters because they were black.

It's a new day and we should be living in it, not always looking back.

gcvt
03-30-2009, 1:20 AM
I was riding home a few years back and he was standing on the street corner at Sutter & Pierce Streets in front of a corner store...no cameras, no crowd, no nothing. It was about 9:00 or 10:00pm, he's wearing his normal dark suit. I parked, walked up and said hello. He extended his hand, I refused to touch him and told him what I thought of the disservice he did to the city and the state...basically told him to F off. Before he could begin his, "Oh, you're one of those" speech, I had my helmet on and was headed back to my bike.

Isn't it amazing to now think that he's far from the worst (intentionally not capitalized) mayor we've ever had in this city?

Sutcliffe
03-30-2009, 5:45 AM
Mr. Clinton ended up stealing his handle, but he's been feeding off the california taxpayers for decades. I'd say opportunistic bottom feeder, but it somehow doesn't do justice to him.

scr83jp
03-30-2009, 1:04 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/williesworld/Everyone is demonized by a convicted felon parolee in possession of weapons he wasn't allowed to possess & by a very expensive parole system that failed to get him off of the streets and protect the citizens and the community.Demonrats work overtime trying to legislate morality they're exempt from!

abalone hunter
03-30-2009, 1:15 PM
Back in seventy something Willie was speaking before George Mcgovern in s.f. I was up on a roof when the p.a. system went out someone yelled get Willie a bullhorn and I yelled "so he can say his bulls***t through. I got laughs and boos.

dfletcher
03-30-2009, 1:27 PM

http://www.sfgate.com/columns/williesworld/

What on earth do 1960s Woolworth's lunch counters have to do with a new AW ban? He's reaching for something with that reference, beats me what it is.

On the other hand, the reference to support the police is welcome - is this just talk or did he actually back up SFPD when he was Mayor?

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 1:34 PM
In the '60s, African Americans didn't have all the protections we have now.They had self defense until that louse helped take it away. What a sack of filth.

usetahaveamp5sd
03-30-2009, 1:36 PM
Black Panters marched on Sacramento armed re: gun rights.

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 1:51 PM
Black Panters marched on Sacramento armed re: gun rights. From what I gather Brown was among the guilty parties voting for it, correct?

It always strikes me as phenomenally stupid how the Black Panthers marched on Sacramento to defend gun rights while armed then lost them anyway, or in direct response because they did. Were they deliberately trying to lose, or were they supremely inept? That's like shooting a basketball at the hoop and having it bounce out and all the way back across court and into the other one! What was their reaction the next day? "Uh, we said DON'T mess with our gun rights! What the heck?" Not to advocate what they were doing, but just for the sake of argument, shouldn't they have gone back the next day to see that their directives were carried out and/or punish those who voted wrongly? Wasn't that the point, "don't do this or else!" Well, what about the "or else?" Did it slip their minds? What a bunch of morons.

I know I've forgot to follow up on sales leads sometimes but that just really takes the cake.

Full Clip
03-30-2009, 2:04 PM
Fortunately, BO seems to be ignoring the AWB demands from Holder and Clinton, so I serious doubt Brown will get any traction. Just another attempt at personal gain by exploiting someone else's tragedy.

the_donald_
03-30-2009, 2:24 PM
Tell Willy to have a Coke & a Smile & STFU.

rumble phish
03-30-2009, 2:33 PM
Fortunately, BO seems to be ignoring the AWB demands from Holder and Clinton, so I serious doubt Brown will get any traction. Just another attempt at personal gain by exploiting someone else's tragedy.

Don't fool yourself. BO is just waiting for the prime moment when he can bring the AWB (or maybe even just a ban on all guns) out into the light. I'm sure it'll be under the guise of protecting the public, the childeren but mostly to curb the flooding flow of weapons fron teh USA to Mexico.

it's coming. Sooner or later, it'll be upon us. Like the plauge....

stormy_clothing
03-30-2009, 2:39 PM
I dont understand his coments, I thought america was by the people for the people. well if the majority dont want these laws then why would he say we should pass them anyway

dustoff31
03-30-2009, 2:41 PM
If there's one lesson to be learned from the tragedy in Oakland, it's that there should be no debate about taking assault weapons violent scumbag felons off the streets.

Willie's World

Fixed that for him.

Full Clip
03-30-2009, 2:44 PM
Don't fool yourself. BO is just waiting for the prime moment when he can bring the AWB (or maybe even just a ban on all guns) out into the light.

Oh, I totally agree. He just has bigger fish to f-up right now. Like the automotive industry.

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 2:47 PM
I dont understand his coments, I thought america was by the people for the people. well if the majority dont want these laws then why would he say we should pass them anyway
Because it's not about what people want, stormy, it's about what politicians want.

lioneaglegriffin
03-30-2009, 2:49 PM
Oh, I totally agree. He just has bigger fish to f-up right now. Like the automotive industry.

it also depends on the 2010 elections lots of appointed senators have to keep their seats. My money is on whoever runs against R. Burris D-IL. :)

rrr70
03-30-2009, 2:51 PM

Because your gobment knows better than you what's good for you.

Gator Monroe
03-30-2009, 2:52 PM
This Brown is now a thump in the Anti-Drumbeat ,and soon enough the other Brown (the 2a friendly one) lol will join in (prolly after he is elected Gov ... End of summer = new call for AWB

EZ G
03-30-2009, 2:52 PM
"If there's one lesson to be learned from the tragedy in Oakland, it's that there should be no debate about taking assault weapons off the streets."

Why is that progressives keep trying to eliminate debate without having any?

These fascist's should move to a totalitarian country instead of trying to force US into one.

MontClaire
03-30-2009, 2:59 PM
if he is formal, a has been, why would anyone care what he says?

EZ G
03-30-2009, 3:06 PM
We are living in upside down world. This guy, and others of his ilk, would fight like hell any and all efforts to prosecute a gangbanger with a "Assault Weapon" charge. All the while, they fight like hell to take them away from non criminals to somehow prevent them from being used criminally by criminals. It is a mental disorder.

remington
03-30-2009, 3:18 PM
I emailed this to him at 'wbrown@sfchronicle.com':

Mr. B

Let me get this straight: The only thing we have learned is that we need to get Assault Weapons off the street?

Really?

Another lesson might be to keep clearly violent offenders that have a record off the street?
Secondly, the AK-47 is already illegal in this state, so banning Assault Weapons is mute. If the gun was fully automatic (machine gun) it is illegal in EVERY state unless the owner has Class III license and goes thru and detailed ATF background check. It is not possible to obtain a Class III license in California. Perhaps you should catch up on gun laws in the state.
Third, it is illegal for felons to own any firearm, period. I am sure if he knew that he was breaking the law by owning a gun he would not have proceeded to find one. After all, criminals and felons are very concerned about breaking gun laws.
This is what was really learned: The legal system failed and no amount of gun laws keep criminals from getting them. Do you really think this is going to make us safer? Do you really think that gang members and felons stroll into Big 5 and buy their guns? You need a reality check and you need actually do something in the twilight of your life instead of making broad, unfounded statements, that don’t impact the issue at hand.

Why do we have gangs in the poorest areas of the state and what can we do eliminate the attractiveness and appeal within one generation.

What can we really do to curtail the use and distribution of drugs?

What can we really do to keep animals like the one in Oakland off the streets?

People are getting sick of listening to placebo fixes that fix the “symptom” but not the disease. The disease is people that get 100 chances before they end up in prison, lack of opportunity and a police force straddled with lawyers waiting to sue the city at every moment. Guns are not the problem, people are. This issue proved it, bad justice system and regardless of how many laws are passed, bad people get guns illegally.

Steyr_223
03-30-2009, 3:18 PM
I meet Willie before he was SF mayor. It was at Cobb’s Comedy Club on Columbus Avenue in the city, back in the late 80's. He was there with Jackie Speier and another woman. They sat next to us, had a pleasant conversation with him and Ms Speier before the acts. Seemed like a nice guy and charming guy. He even complemented by date on her dress. I totally disagree with many of his views..He is totally wrong on firearms..

CowboyShooter
03-30-2009, 3:43 PM
We didn't have power in the cities, with people like Elihu Harris or myself as mayors. We didn't have Eric Holder as attorney general. We didn't have Barack Obama as president.

sigh....:(

dose were the good ol' days :yes:

:thumbsup:

B Strong
03-30-2009, 4:20 PM
You have to give the devil his due - Willie Brown is one of the smartest, slickest politicians to ever come down the pike.

I don't agree with him, but I recognize his genius. Who else could dump his white or Asian girlfriends for a black "fiancee" every time he ran for office, and get away with it?

On the subject matter- AW bans, he knows that he could write a book about gun control calling for banning all guns and there's no downside. He'll never run for office again, so he's not beholden to the electorate.

Even with the recent tragedies, there is no majority in place with voters to ban AW's or guns in general.

We'll always have the Brady morons and the other fringe anti groups, they're not going away, but the country as a whole is moving away from them.

kajvid
03-30-2009, 5:23 PM
Willie needs to stick to banging white women and shut the f up?

Swiss
03-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't know how many of you read the Comments section of that article. In the midst of the usual pro-gun/anti-gun flame war, Bill posted a very calm and matter-of-fact message. Nice work - now that's the way we should handle our online posts to the lefties.

bwiese3/29/2009 10:09:55 AM

Mr. Brown: The recent drama over "assault weapons" floated to the top again due to the recent events in Oakland. The rifle used by Mixon was an ordinary SKS rifle, topologically identical to many other rifles sold today. It doesn't meet the (expired) former Fed. definition of 'semiautomatic assault weapon', nor is it prohibited by CA's currently-operational assault weapons law. The 2008 Heller decision states an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that bans can only apply to "dangerous and unusual weapons". (Note important "and".) The prior Staples decision notes that AR15 style rifles [logic readily extensible to other semiautomatic centerfire rifles of similar cosmetic topology] is a common and ordinary rifle. Between these two decisions, there is no way even "ugly rifles without pretty wood" can be banned. With state incorporation of 2nd amendment soon, many other bans will be shot down as well. B. Wiese San Jose CA