PDA

View Full Version : A sample letter to use in support of AB-357.

Window_Seat
03-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Here is a letter that I have put together for your use to write to your California elected Assemblymember/Senator. I put this together myself. Any corrections or improvements are welcome:

Your Name
Your Address
Your Telephone Number
Your Email Address

The Date

The Honorable __________
The address of the Elected Representative/Assemblymember/Senator

Dear Senator/Assembly member ____________:

As a proud Member of ________________, I am in favor of individual Second Amendment rights, and ask that you please support AB-357, introduced by Assemblyman Steve Knight.

AB-357 is the bill that changes Section 12050 of the CA Penal Code from “may issue” to “Shall Issue”, and it eliminates the abuse with regard to Sheriffs & Chiefs of Law Enforcement Agencies awarding CCW permits to only those who contribute the most to their campaigns.

This extremely important legislation, while making the streets safer, will also bring equal treatment under the law for law-abiding citizens of the State of California.

Currently, there are more than 35 states that issue "Shall Issue" CCW permits/licenses for the carrying of handguns.

Ultimately, no gun control legislation and/or regulation has reduced crime one tenth of one percent in any place in the United States of America, and that is why it is time to rethink the regulations that have infringed upon the rights of California’s most law-abiding citizen residents. AB-357 is the right place to start.

Please consider.

Sincerely,

Your name

Erik.

Bizcuits
03-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I like it, although I'd remove the last paragraph. It's to much of a rant. You stream away from wanting fair and just treatment to complaining about gun control.

Yes gun control sucks, but just state your case without the added touch of "Gun Control Sucks hmmkay".

Just my .02, but all in all pretty good. :thumbsup:

nicki
03-30-2009, 1:50 AM
Your Name
Your Address
Your Telephone Number
Your Email Address

The Date

The Honorable __________
The address of the Elected Representative/Assemblymember/Senator

Dear Senator/Assembly member ____________:

As a proud Member of ________________, I am in favor of equal rights, and ask that you please support AB-357, introduced by Assemblyman Steve Knight.

AB-357 is the bill that brings Section 12050 of the CA Penal Code from “may issue” to “Shall Issue” into compliance with article 1 sec 7b of the Califronia Constitution regarding equality under the law for all.

The definition of what is "Good Cause" is highly subjective. In most parts of the state the only people who seem to have good cause are those who are "politically connected".

Our "may issue" CCW system is a left over relic from the Jim Crow days which is why it conflicts with the equal protection provisions of both the Federal and State Constitutions.

The current CCW system has created "titles of noblity", something that was specifically prohibited by the US Constitution.

Currently we have 2 sheriffs under federal indictment for using the CCW system for personal gain. Are they the only sheriffs or are there more?

Political corruption by the top law enforcement officers in the state undermines respect for law and order. Corrective action is needed.

There have been unfounded public safety concerns raised that if our state went to a non discriminatory CCW permit system that everyone would be armed and the streets would run with blood.

The statistical records of the 37 states that now issue CCW permits on a "shall issue" basis show that CCW permit holders have not been a public safety menace, that problems with CCW holders are rare.

While every law abiding adult can apply for a CCW permit in most states, the average issuance rate nationwide for CCW permits is roughly 1 percent of the population.

One percent of the population discreetly carrying sidearms doesn't constitute everyone is carrying a gun.

This bill would not change the background check or training requirements of current law, but what it would do is make the issuance of ccw permits compliant with equal protection provisions of both the US and State Constitutions.

Violent crime is a problem in our state, in some areas criminals control the streets. The police can't be everywhere, shouldn't we be allowed to have the means to effectively protect ourselves.

Guns in the wrong hands kill, guns in the right hands save lives. Isn't it about time to even the fight between citizens and criminal predators.

I realize that you may never want to carry a gun for defense, but do you want to deny that choice to the woman who has a stalker after her, the community activist who tries to stand up to local drug gangs, the LBGT person who doesn't want to be a hate crime victim, the struggling single mom who works multiple jobs and has to live in a high crime neighborhood due to financial circumstances. etc. etc.

Article 1 sec 7B of the California Constitution guarantees equality under the law for all. It doesn't say with the exception of CCW permits.

Do the right thing and vote for equal rights, vote yes on AB357

Sincerely,
Your name

Erik.

I started to tweek the letter, but came up with my own guys.
I guess mine is more from a equality under the law angle.

Nicki