PDA

View Full Version : Question about AW registration

mac-10mike
03-29-2009, 4:05 PM
How do I cancel the registration on a non listed AW? I want to sell it.

Quiet
03-29-2009, 4:17 PM
Render the AW into a non-AW configuration.
Contact CA DOJ BOF.

bwiese
03-29-2009, 4:18 PM
Don't give up a reg'd AW. We need to keep the # of reg'd AWs up in CA so it costs money to administer and they're still common enough to offer opportunities for legal traction.

If necessary sell off the parts for $$ and keep the receiver.

But to answer the hows & whys:

A registered AW cannot generally be sold to another Californian. It can't be sold thru a CA FFL unless he has a CA AW permit as well, and processing your transaction thru an expensive licensee will likely cost a fair fraction of your gun's value. You could however directly transport it (locked & unloaded) outside CA and sell it to/thru an FFL in that state.

A Category 3 (not listed on Roberti-Roos or Kasler lists) reg'd AW can have sufficient evil features removed (PG, FH, etc.) to not be considered an AW. A BulletButton mag catch could also be added instead. It should not be transferred until AW deregistration is complete, however.

If you file for deregistration the DOJ BoF may ask about details of its non-AW status. You could in theory have DOJ at the door asking to see the gun. Do not expect competency at the DOJ BoF - if they ask for details on your deregistration, just say it is "not banned by name and no longer describable by 12276.1PC". DO NOT ALLOW THEM ENTRY TO YOUR HOME WITHOUT WARRANT.

There's a new crop of DOJ BoF guys out there with even less knowledge than Iggy.

fairfaxjim
03-29-2009, 4:52 PM
There's a new crop of DOJ BoF guys out there with even less knowledge than Iggy.

I always find it very hard to belive that people hired explicitly to administer firearm laws could possibly ACTUALLY have as low a level of knowledge as it appears they do. While given the choice between conspiracy and stupidity at a government level, I will nearly always choose stupidity (I worked for the federal government in my youth, and saw it first hand), these guys seem to be "stupid on purpose" more times than not. My vote is for a stupid management (AM comes to minde) with more agenda than brains.

As long as that condition continues to exist, truth and integrity at the BOF will continue to be a moving target. Following the letter of the law, and the advice of the BOF, is no guarantee of safe passage.

psssniper
03-29-2009, 5:11 PM
Going through this process now with a friends 4 AW's We heard back from DOJ the other day and they want to take a look at the guns to make sure the features are removed. They said they could come out or he could bring them in.

CCWFacts
03-29-2009, 5:45 PM
Going through this process now with a friends 4 AW's We heard back from DOJ the other day and they want to take a look at the guns to make sure the features are removed. They said they could come out or he could bring them in.

I'm sure that he has a reason for doing this, but in general... why would someone want to de-reg an AW? These weapons have little resale value (a used ten-year-old AR-15 is worth how much on GunBroker?). If he's keeping them, why de-reg them? If they're OLL-based, I think he can remove the evil features, keep the reg, and then treat them as non-AWs for as long as they don't have evil features. I don't see any possible gain from de-registering OLL-based AWs especially.

Even for people who really need the money, it's probably easier to liquidate them by selling the upper and selling all the lower parts (sans receiver) as a parts kit. That way he can find buyers without needing to involve FFLs.

Just echoing BW's statement there. Hang on to those AWs if it's at all possible!

Quiet
03-29-2009, 6:45 PM
I always find it very hard to belive that people hired explicitly to administer firearm laws could possibly ACTUALLY have as low a level of knowledge as it appears they do.

People already working for the CA government are hired over people who do not work for the CA government, even though the non-government person has greater experienced/knowledge in the position being hired for. (Yay! for unions)

I come to this conclusion from dealing with CA DOJ BOGC agents.

psssniper
03-29-2009, 6:50 PM
Don't assume that all the AW's are AR's. ;) One is, two are pistols, one M-96 and a Steyr USR. Friend is planning on leaving the country for good and exporting things isn't fun for the average guy, so...........

james s
03-29-2009, 6:54 PM
"People already working for the CA government are hired over people who do not work for the CA government, even though the non-government person has greater experienced/knowledge in the position being hired for. (Yay! for unions)

I come to this conclusion from dealing with CA DOJ BOGC agents."

I work for a state public safety agency and we do not do that. And yes, thank god for my union.

mac-10mike
03-29-2009, 11:59 PM
You're right Bill. I'll hang on to it.Thanks for the info guys.