PDA

View Full Version : is it illegal to own LEO only ammo?

sreiter
03-29-2009, 2:27 PM
Say there is a certain ammo, like Speer gold dot .223 or LE223T1 Federal Tactical 55g .223 Law Enforcement Ammo, that is normally only sold to LEO's.

Say said ammo was being sold by a private individual to another private individual and neither was a LEO. And let further assume that the ammo wasn't stolen.

Is it ok for a civilian to have the ammo?

I know there are certain things civilians cant have, like exploding rounds, incendiary rounds, etc.

But this is regular .223 that i guess just have better ballistics's. I'm really not sure why they are LEO only

thanks in advance

Mstrty
03-29-2009, 2:33 PM
I'm really not sure why they are LEO only

thanks in advance

Sound like you awnsered your own question.

leitung
03-29-2009, 2:34 PM
Nope, those are Federal rules, not laws.

I have a box of Federal HST 147gr 9mm, I use it for carry everyday. I even had a cop tell me that was some damm good ammo one time.
Most gun stores don't care about those rules anyway, River City gun exchange used to give away a box of Winchester Rangers with a gun buy..

lasereye
03-29-2009, 2:34 PM
It's only a company police to only sell to LEO, not a law. Perfectly legal to sell and own.

leitung
03-29-2009, 2:35 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

They sell alot of LEO ammo..

MontClaire
03-29-2009, 2:37 PM
Say there is a certain ammo, like Speer gold dot .223 or LE223T1 Federal Tactical 55g .223 Law Enforcement Ammo, that is normally only sold to LEO's.

Say said ammo was being sold by a private individual to another private individual and neither was a LEO. And let further assume that the ammo wasn't stolen.

Is it ok for a civilian to have the ammo?

I know there are certain things civilians cant have, like exploding rounds, incendiary rounds, etc.

But this is regular .223 that i guess just have better ballistics's. I'm really not sure why they are LEO only

thanks in advance

civillians can have exploding and incendiary ammo just not in CA.

lasereye
03-29-2009, 2:39 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

They sell alot of LEO ammo..

Here's where I like to go ; www.tds-us.com

bohoki
03-29-2009, 2:41 PM
could it be untaxed or something from the atf to be marked like that

of course it seems to be only the box that is marked not the ammo so if you are scared chuck the boxes and bag them in ziplock

sreiter
03-29-2009, 2:53 PM
thanks all and LOL @ just not in cali.

Yes, some place i have booked has all sorts of incendiaries. dragons breath shot gun rounds, etc.

CSDGuy
03-29-2009, 2:59 PM
Marketing. And it's Federal's rules (the company)... Federal probably also makes a similar line for "non-LEO" and probably has similar performance... but the LEO stuff might just be between their regular lots and their match ammo in terms of performance.

It's a lot like the "contractor grade" tools vs. the "DIY" tools.

M. Sage
03-29-2009, 5:29 PM
could it be untaxed or something from the atf to be marked like that

Nope. It's just companies giving the antis some love by trying to keep their ammo from getting into our hands. There's no legal component to it.

Luckily, there are plenty of suppliers out there willing to sell us the good stuff. :thumbsup:

7x57
03-29-2009, 6:00 PM
Nope. It's just companies giving the antis some love by trying to keep their ammo from getting into our hands. There's no legal component to it.

Yep. I'd suggest not buying it, except that won't help a bit--they've already made the decision not to pursue our dollars with that money, and not giving it to them was factored into the business plan.

I imagine the reason they do this is the furor over Black Talon ammo. "LEO" only protects them from being crucified in the media for selling "cop killer bullets." I understand that, but it still is a betrayal. At some point, these companies need to be punished for it--if the 2A permits any distinction between LE and civilian ammo, it would be to reserve the good stuff for the civilians. But I don't think we can touch them now, so it's just another symbol of oppression and defiance of the Constitution that we need on the long-term list waiting an opportunity. In fact they would probably be happy if we made the environment friendlier for them to sell to us--after all, they are businesses and without external pressure would sell to anyone willing to buy.

In the end, I'd *much* rather punish the media for harassing them than punish the companies for deciding to keep their heads down.

7x57

SDspearo
03-29-2009, 6:05 PM
This thread reminds me of a funny story. When my Dad gave me the Sig he used to carry on duty. He gave me three boxes of Fedral Hydra Shock 9mm ammo that said LEO only blah blah blah on the box. I was so worried about having it, and thought that it was unlawful. That instead of asking my dad or researching online the laws. I went out and shot it all immediatley. Good times:)

M. Sage
03-29-2009, 6:09 PM
Yep. I'd suggest not buying it, except that won't help a bit--they've already made the decision not to pursue our dollars with that money, and not giving it to them was factored into the business plan.

I imagine the reason they do this is the furor over Black Talon ammo. "LEO" only protects them from being crucified in the media for selling "cop killer bullets." I understand that, but it still is a betrayal. At some point, these companies need to be punished for it--if the 2A permits any distinction between LE and civilian ammo, it would be to reserve the good stuff for the civilians. But I don't think we can touch them now, so it's just another symbol of oppression and defiance of the Constitution that we need on the long-term list waiting an opportunity. In fact they would probably be happy if we made the environment friendlier for them to sell to us--after all, they are businesses and without external pressure would sell to anyone willing to buy.

In the end, I'd *much* rather punish the media for harassing them than punish the companies for deciding to keep their heads down.

7x57

I agree, but at least they haven't taken any extreme measures to ensure that it only gets into LE hands. It's really only a very weak "attempt" to "keep it out of civvy hands". If they were trying harder, I might hold a grudge...

7x57
03-29-2009, 6:31 PM
I agree, but at least they haven't taken any extreme measures to ensure that it only gets into LE hands. It's really only a very weak "attempt" to "keep it out of civvy hands". If they were trying harder, I might hold a grudge...

I agree, it's mostly for appearance. But it makes it harder to get, I know of no other way to get HST except mail-order for example, and that causes some...problems. For example, it means that people that live in the "no mail order ammo" gulags are even worse off. And somewhere, a couple of people will die because they used lesser ammo and it didn't stop the bad guy.

In any case, it's the symbol we need to go after. "LEO only" *anything* is almost by definition unconstitutional, and sooner or later the people who come up with such ideas need to be treated with the profoundest kind of contempt we would reserve for tyrants and dictators.

But it'll take a long time, and I imagine as soon as we make it safe for them they'll happily expand their market. So I suppose any spanking should mostly be symbolic (and in all likelihood won't really happen). It is the kind of scare-mongering that creates the problem that needs to be terminated without mercy whenever possible.

7x57

Prowler
03-29-2009, 7:20 PM
The .223 ammo that SEB uses sucks. I shot about 700 rounds that I got free. Nothing special IMHO. I'd rather have your basic WWB.

rynando
03-29-2009, 8:05 PM
I always viewed the “LEO Only” label as a marketing device. It caters to the LEO’s desire to feel like they’re getting something superior that poor non-LEO’s can’t have and at the same time it makes the non-LEOs want it more and pay a premium for it when they’re graced with the opportunity to purchase it.

R