PDA

View Full Version : AWB Update from Newsweek.

remington
03-29-2009, 5:59 AM
Read the blogs, pretty interesting. Regardless of what Obama wants to do, its pretty clear he can't and he has virtually no support on the hill....right now.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/191037

Here is another one from 3/28/2009, Hillary got shut down as well.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/191414?tid=relatedcl

SirGlockALott
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Good news.

SirGlockALott
03-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Hope it stays this way.

yellowfin
03-29-2009, 10:29 AM
What happened to not trusting the media?

lioneaglegriffin
03-29-2009, 1:04 PM
The way things are going, this could be more than a shotgun wedding.

cute pun. :chris:

Mstrty
03-29-2009, 2:10 PM
Mexico is adamant about a ban? Since when does a third world country set American policy? Corruption is Mexico's problem. The only reason politicians give a **** is because corporations like to move their operations over the border to indiscriminately pollute and bond the poor and uneducated mexican workforce into a lifetime of servitude. It's a poor excuse to try and push through more anti gun legislation.

:hurray:Bravo:hurray:Bravo:hurray:

pTa
03-29-2009, 2:27 PM
They should wise up and blame it on the open border policy... A mexican police chief stated that his officers were outgunned. Their issued weapons? AR and AK rifles.

plink182
03-29-2009, 2:38 PM
Mexico is adamant about a ban? Since when does a third world country set American policy? Corruption is Mexico's problem. The only reason politicians give a **** is because corporations like to move their operations over the border to indiscriminately pollute and bond the poor and uneducated mexican workforce into a lifetime of servitude. It's a poor excuse to try and push through more anti gun legislation.

Yea Mexico is always trying to set US policy. I have never understood why we even bother. Mexico has been corrupt as long as I can remember. Its has corruption at every level. Nothing we do here in the US policy wise will change that.

They should wise up and blame it on the open border policy... A mexican police chief stated that his officers were outgunned. Their issued weapons? AR and AK rifles.

From what I have seen the Mexican Police use HKs and ARs mostly. I dont think I would say a Mex LEO carrying a G3 or a G36 is outgunned. Unless he doesnt know how to use it. What do they want M249s, and Barrett 50 BMGs for every MLEO??

JoeC
03-29-2009, 3:05 PM
Give gun rights back to the citizens and you've just increased the man power against these druggies innumerably. I don't know why they don't do this.

MontClaire
03-29-2009, 3:11 PM
well, if you look at ktvu.com web site, you'll see that the brady bunch had a field day in SF this weekend and talk about banning guns left and right. Where is NRA? why no PR pieces on NRA meetings in SF to adress the gun violence? Arming citizens to protect their lifes and lifes of children in surge of gun violence is a good campaign isn't it? more NRA money should be spent in CA, in SF in particular.

lioneaglegriffin
03-29-2009, 4:24 PM
Yea Mexico is always trying to set US policy. I have never understood why we even bother. Mexico has been corrupt as long as I can remember. Its has corruption at every level. Nothing we do here in the US policy wise will change that.

From what I have seen the Mexican Police use HKs and ARs mostly. I dont think I would say a Mex LEO carrying a G3 or a G36 is outgunned. Unless he doesnt know how to use it. What do they want M249s, and Barrett 50 BMGs for every MLEO??

even if they did get SAW's and .50's they'd only end up in the hands of the Cartels because thats how they got the American weapons in the first place.
They need ethics reform and training, as well as Urban combat basics. But really how well would our LEO's do vs. RPGs and grenades? it's one thing to get into a gun fight but when you have military grade stuff flying at you its a different game no matter how good your training is. There only hope is for a Banana Republic where the army secures safety and rebuild the Police every police force from scratch

fairfaxjim
03-29-2009, 4:25 PM
The Mexican border situation is a complex mixture of failed policy and unintended consequences. NAFTA created a very business friendly environment in Mexico for US companies to locate their factories and operate using cheap Mexican labor. Illegal Mexican workers in the US send a LARGE amount of $$ back to Mexico, making them one of the largest components of Mexico's GNP. An open border is necessary for that to continue, and that needs to continue to keep Mexico's politico's behind NAFTA.

After 911, US Homeland Security greatly, and increasingly tightened all entry into the US, save for the Mexican border - primarily for reasons above. Central American drug cartels had historically used easy sea and air entry into the US to move large amounts of product into the US, and found these avenues closed. This lead to them working with the Mexican cartels to move the drugs through the much less secure Mexican/US border, strengthening the Mexican cartels and pumping up their wealth. With wealth in Mexico comes the ability to buy influence and protection, at all levels of the government. It got so bad so fast, even before anyone was really paying attention, that attempts by the Mexican authorities to tone it down - initially at the urging of the US - ended in the kidnapings and executions that are now commonplace. If they couldn't buy exemption from the Mexican authorities, they would resort to terrorism. The already existing level of corruption makes dealing with the situation nearly impossible.

The Mexican government can't do anything on their end - they are either part of the problem, or too scared to tackle it. Calderone has to blame the US druggies for the problem, and put pressure on the US to do something, because he simply can't, and remain in office or alive at this point. He is between a rock and a hard place - the weapons that the cartels have are either purchased on the world underground arms market, mostly through central america, or stolen with the aid of bribbed Mexican Army officers from the Mexican Army. To admit that the weapons were not coming from the US would be an admission that the problem was really Mexico's. To call for clamping down on the border would kill the cash cow that illegal workers are. All are losing moves for Calderone.

Hillary and Holder are long time gun ban maniacs, and Mexico's BS provides both a way to promote that agenda, and a smoke screen for all involved that won't close the border to the illegals. Blaming the US druggies, who don't happen to have a lobby in DC, is a no brainer, and throwing in a gun ban works for them too. That way Calderone looks good at home, they are doing his bidding, and he doesn't mess with the NAFTA status quo. The idea of simply policing the Mexican border like the rest of the country, and letting Mexico handle their own dirty laundry just seems to be a dog that won't hunt in the situation. As politicans usually do, all are hoping that their lip service will placate the masses, and that the tourists will believe it is safe to go to Mexico, and the the press moves on to newer issues.

This one has the potential to become quite nasty before getting any better.

remington
03-29-2009, 6:51 PM
Although no expert, Mexico wont be the catalyst in my opinion. It will be some wacko stateside who uses a legally obtained "AW" and kills alot of innocent people. It seems to always be the pattern. They can't use the Oakland incident because the justice system was to blame and the last thing they want is eyeballs on the total failure of our justice system. And of course that the gun was not obtained legally so no additional laws could have prevented it.

That would be hard sell...."America, we are going to restrict YOUR ability to own firearms and amend the 2nd Ammendment. We might limit or even make you register ammunition also. Please understand America how important this. And please remember how many Mexican Drug Dealers we are saving by you giving up your rights".

But stranger things have happened and the media will twist it. I'll bet and bill that goes to hill comes California. Sucks.

Gator Monroe
03-29-2009, 6:58 PM

tHEY HAVE fal'S TOO !

CnCFunFactory
03-29-2009, 7:32 PM

:thumbsup:

taladeganite
03-29-2009, 7:54 PM
wow.. well said FAirFaxJim, you cleared alot up for me..:thumbsup: ... i hope it gets DAGGg nastey down their.. and the cartel members kill each other off..:eek:

CSDGuy
03-29-2009, 7:57 PM
Much of the Newsweek article spews much of the same stuff that you see/read in the rest of the MSM. At least the article essentially admits that a new AWB is off the table - and with Harry Reid & Nancy Pelosi both saying they're not going to take this up this year points to the issue being seriously radioactive even today. The fact that they're not entertaining this even in the face of some well publicized events speaks volumes...