PDA

View Full Version : Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 7:58 AM
(Article is below)

I think we should all send a big thank you to these Democrats for stepping up and out of the NY & CA Dem demagoguery ruling the democratic party.

I am not sure who all 65 are, but maybe we can find out and send them all much thanks for being smarter than the rest of their party.

From AP press:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iadNpLRYIc0TsbKQg9DVDevMwynwD970ME800

Pro-gun Democrats oppose new assault weapon ban

By JIM ABRAMS Mar 18, 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) Sixty-five House Democrats said Wednesday that they would oppose any attempt by the Obama administration to revive a ban on military-style weapons that President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1994 and President George W. Bush let expire.

The pro-gun Democrats, led by Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark., wrote Attorney General Eric Holder that they would "actively oppose any effort to reinstate the 1994 ban, or to pass any similar law."

They urged the administration to avoid a "long and divisive fight over a gun control issue" at a time when Washington needs to concentrate on the economic crisis.

The House letter came a day after Montana's two Democratic senators, Max Baucus and Jon Tester, wrote a similar letter to Holder saying the Justice Department should enforce existing laws before considering new gun ownership restrictions. "We will strongly oppose any legislation that will infringe upon the rights of individual gun owners," they said.

The letters came after Holder, during a news conference to announce the arrest of Mexican drug dealers, said the drug cartels were obtaining high-powered weapons like the AK-47 from U.S. gun stores and said the Obama administration supported reinstituting the ban on the sale of assault-style weapons.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has said she plans to introduce legislation to bring back the weapons ban. Feinstein was an author of the 1994 bill, which banned 19 types of semiautomatic, military-style guns. The law expired under the Bush administration in 2004. Another long-term goal is requiring that all gun shows conduct background checks before selling firearms.

The National Rifle Association has said it is mobilizing to stop any assault weapons ban, and the opposition of 65 House Democrats, many from rural or conservative districts with strong pro-gun sentiments, probably would doom any legislative drive to restrict gun ownership.

Already this year, Republicans have stalled legislation that would give the District of Columbia a voting representative in the House by linking the bill to a measure significantly weakening D.C.'s gun laws.

House Democratic leaders have put off a vote on the voting rights bill out of concern that pro-gun Democrats would oppose it if it is separated from the gun measure.

lioneaglegriffin
03-28-2009, 8:54 AM
posted already.

Bad Voodoo
03-28-2009, 8:56 AM
Is the search feature here really that bad?

sorensen440
03-28-2009, 8:58 AM
Yeah it is pretty bad

Bad Voodoo
03-28-2009, 8:59 AM
I figured. There are too many dupes for it to be anything else.

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 8:59 AM
No the Search feature is fine , they ( Lib/Dem posters here at CG ) think it's in their best interest to keep us thinkin that bluedogs or he man outdoorsman type dems are a solid voting block with GOP on Firearm or any other issues ...:sleeping:

Ironchef
03-28-2009, 9:01 AM
Sweet! Baucus and Tester are MY representatives now! Wow, it's good to have the right kind of leaders for once!

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 9:03 AM
Sweet! Baucus and Tester are MY representatives now! Wow, it's good to have the right kind of leaders for once!

Are either of them like Daschle ?:eek:

Ironchef
03-28-2009, 9:06 AM
Not sure. Just started reading up on them. I watch a PBS channel up here often that is 24/7 legislation TV showing all the bills they go through daily, arguments, votes, etc. Baucus has done some nice voting.

One good thing is they're banning the death penalty up here which is something I'm totally for.

hntnnut
03-28-2009, 9:49 AM
Not sure. Just started reading up on them. I watch a PBS channel up here often that is 24/7 legislation TV showing all the bills they go through daily, arguments, votes, etc. Baucus has done some nice voting.

One good thing is they're banning the death penalty up here which is something I'm totally for.

Thats too bad I think thats a part of the problen with a lot of the other states, no real consquences for vilent crime. If you havent noticed a lot of theses interviews on TV with prison inmates (usually gang affiliated), they do the crime because they know that the worst that can happen is that they do time (no corporal punnishment).

Richard

dustoff31
03-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Is Montana having a hard time getting people to move there or something? I always thought it was a pretty popular place.

Oh well, it's your state, do what you want.

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah it is pretty bad

problem is it (teh search feauture) hits so many commonalities, and we all discuss so many common things many times over in slightly different threads ot topics.
Can be hard to find the right limiters to get only what you are looking for, and not eliminate what you are looking for as someone else used a different term, etc., and if you don't limit, hard to spot that one thread in teh LONG list you get from teh engine. More a nature of teh beast thing, IMO.

Sorry the dupe!!

Shotgun Man
03-28-2009, 10:18 AM

Thats too bad I think thats a part of the problen with a lot of the other states, no real consquences for vilent crime. If you havent noticed a lot of theses interviews on TV with prison inmates (usually gang affiliated), they do the crime because they know that the worst that can happen is that they do time (no corporal punnishment).

Richard

Yeah, the Death Penalty deters a whole lot of crime out here in California.

Swiss
03-28-2009, 10:30 AM
No the Search feature is fine , they ( Lib/Dem posters here at CG ) think it's in their best interest to keep us thinkin that bluedogs or he man outdoorsman type dems are a solid voting block with GOP on Firearm or any other issues ...:sleeping:

I'm with you on RKBA but I'm guessing that's about it.

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 10:32 AM
[quote=hntnnut;2235508]

Look at Texas on this isssue !~:thumbsup:

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ironchef View Post

One good thing is they're banning the death penalty up here which is something I'm totally for.[/QUOTE]

Richard
[quote=hntnnut;2235508]

let alone how many criminals are scared away from being spanked!

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 10:34 AM
[quote=hntnnut;2235508]

Death penalty, usually only applying in extreme cases, isn't much of a deterrent.

But it sure does prevent recidivism!

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 10:35 AM
[quote=hntnnut;2235508]

Or China & the death penalty (Works for them !:thumbsup:)

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM

cuzz those types are far better than teh types that vote REP and keep their guns, and loose their jobs overseas, and so can't afford to buy guns, or ammo, or have any land to hunt and fish on...

Blind sided is blind sided, whether its the left side or the right side. I am happy to see that Democrats crossed over on this issue and refuse to let it be a win one/lose lots issue for their constituents. If it weren't for ignorant types that want to make this a decisive R/D issue, we might get more DEMs that are pro 2A, and it would stop being an issue all together. Now if we could get REPs to forget the whole "trickle down" crap, and realize it is is the average man's income that buys things, we could get somewhere.

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE=Shotgun Man;2235601]

Or China & the death penalty (Works for them !:thumbsup:)

yes - but they apply it far more "liberally" than we do!

couldn't resist that pun...

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
cuzz those types are far better than teh types that vote REP and keep their guns, and loose their jobs overseas, and so can't afford to buy guns, or ammo, or have any land to hunt and fish on...

Blind sided is blind sided, whether its the left side or the right side. I am happy to see that Democrats crossed over on this issue and refuse to let it be a win one/lose lots issue for their constituents. If it weren't for ignorant types that want to make this a decisive R/D issue, we might get more DEMs that are pro 2A, and it would stop being an issue all together. Now if we could get REPs to forget the whole "trickle down" crap, and realize it is is the average man's income that buys things, we could get somewhere.

We dont need more Dems (Reguardless of their 2A stance) We need a GOP comeback with fewer RINOS ...:thumbsup:

Swiss
03-28-2009, 10:59 AM
We dont need more Dems (Reguardless of their 2A stance) We need a GOP comeback with fewer RINOS ...:thumbsup:

You know, I've always wondered about this: do I have more influence on my Democratic representatives as a pro-gun Democrat than as a pro-gun Republican or Independent? If my rep is made aware that I might vote for someone else in the primaries, will that make a difference?

lioneaglegriffin
03-28-2009, 11:03 AM

how long do expect this? this will take a long time (perhaps a decade?) if the Dems don't break all the good china. However if they fall on their faces i expect things to be even by 2012.

lioneaglegriffin
03-28-2009, 11:08 AM
You know, I've always wondered about this: do I have more influence on my Democratic representatives as a pro-gun Democrat than as a pro-gun Republican or Independent? If my rep is made aware that I might vote for someone else in the primaries, will that make a difference?

yes, you can ignore those groups that your party would consider "safe" i.e pro/anti abortion & pro/anti gay.

H2H
03-28-2009, 11:12 AM
[quote=hntnnut;2235508]

+1 and I'm for it !

Blackhawk556
03-28-2009, 11:16 AM
these dems want to enforce current laws, how would that affect current AR 15 owners here in California?? Let's say they try to enforce the assault weapons law here, will they say that the bullet button or prince 50 are illegal??

They are dems so they will try and say something to try and get rid of these type of guns here in Kalifornia :(

Swiss
03-28-2009, 11:30 AM
The bullet button is not illegal. My rifle has a fixed magazine which requires a tool to remove it. End of story.

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 12:21 PM

actually, gun control is one of the few issues that makes me vote for republican candidates! I would like to see a nice wave of pro2A dems sweep into the party and take more offices away from gun banner DEM we have now.

MontClaire
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I think they oppose the current wording in it. If it was re-written...they would support. Make no mistake - eventually you won't be able to buy a gun in this state and it will be difficult to buy them in others too.

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 12:34 PM

well, if there are no pro gun democrats voting in primary, you will NEVER see pro gun Dems on the ballots...

That is the bigger issue - who gets to run on the ballot, not whether you then support them or not.

My voting in the republican primary is pretty useless as all most all of the candidates have about the same premises many of which I disagree with, and they are for the major I issue I worry about.

However, if I can help a pro2A dem gets votes to make it on ballot, and the DNC sees that pro2A Dems can get a BUNCH of votes, it reminds the real power behind the throne that they have to listen to all of us, and that they can't count on being gun banners to get votes.

So I vote democrat primaries, and then after seeing who all the banners get to put on the ballot, wind up voting Republican in the actual election. To me that is the best way we can currently attempt to make 2A a non-issue: remove the anti's from running. If there were pro 2A DEM candidates in your districts, and all teh republicans crossed to make sure a pro2A dem is on the ballot, we could then move on to teh real business at hand, and rest that the 2A is safe.

I just hope the open primary law passes on the special ballot, THEN we with specific issues can make ourselves heard most easily by getting those that are pro2A on the ballots regardless of affiliation.

hntnnut
03-28-2009, 1:13 PM
Originally Posted by hntnnut

Thats funny I don't remember saying this.

But while on the subject does anyone remember the last time a person died on death row? I do, a couple of months ago, they died of old age. I don't think California has a death penalty in the truest meaning of the sense.

Richard

Shadowdrop
03-28-2009, 2:18 PM
The automatic appeals process delays the sentence anywhere from 8-20+ years. Which isn't necessarily a terrible thing, as recent DNA evidence has exonerated HUNDREDS of death row inmates. We aren't always prosecuting the right guy, meaning we aren't always killing the right guy.

Anyway, I deal with gang members and criminals on a daily basis. They do not think about consequences. They do not hesitate to blast at their rivals because of what might happen later, they just shoot. Prison is romanticized in their world and they look forward to having the bragging rights of "putting in work." Plus, Orange County is scaling back charges like you wouldn't believe. Unless there's an airtight case, they aren't going to bother (this includes murder and attempted charges). People who should be going to prison are instead serving 6 months of county time.

MolonLabe2008
03-28-2009, 2:31 PM
Only 65 house members! That's only 15%. What about the other 85%?

Shadowdrop
03-28-2009, 2:46 PM
181 are Republicans and 254 are Democrats (with 3 unfilled seats). So that means 25% of Dems pledged.

yellowfin
03-28-2009, 3:14 PM
I'm nowhere near as much of a fan of capital punishment because it's too poorly applied. It's inconsistently applied, too delayed (for good reasons and bad), too expensive (again both good and bad- if it's expensive then it'd better be deserved, yet imposes a burden on the taxpayers), and worst of all after the fact. It is a poor substitute for putting them down on the spot in self defense to stop the crime.

AngelDecoys
03-28-2009, 3:44 PM

Not really. There's even a sticky on the topic. Suffice it to say, there will be many such threads. Typically posters think they have something new. And there's so many groups (on both sides) that will use the issue as a fund raising opportunity. Besides, politicians love to get those sound bites.

...... they ( Lib/Dem posters here at CG ) think it's in their best interest to keep us thinkin ......

Sure you're not lumping us 'educated' Republicans into that group? :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, but its plainly obvious that you don't recognize that different regions in the country have different politics depending on issue.

Many of those Democrats you seem to lump together got elected on pro-gun platforms. My guess is you've not spent a great deal of time outside CA so you 'mistakenly reason' that every Dem is the same.

If it weren't for ignorant types that want to make this a decisive R/D issue, we might get more DEMs that are pro 2A, and it would stop being an issue all together.

+1. Heck, the Dems in Oregon have adopted the 2nd into their platform.

Anyway, I deal with gang members and criminals on a daily basis. They do not think about consequences.

Something I read earlier that's related.
http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_cop_killers.asp

Personally, aside from all the fear and anxiety created over a possible ban, its been great overall for the shooting sports. Don't know about the rest of you but I've recently met people who haven't shot in years, many new shooters, and our ladies 'handgun' classes have been packed like never before.

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 4:09 PM
Not really. There's even a sticky on the topic. Suffice it to say, there will be many such threads. Typically posters think they have something new. And there's so many groups (on both sides) that will use the issue as a fund raising opportunity. Besides, politicians love to get those sound bites.

Sure you're not lumping us 'educated' Republicans into that group? :rolleyes: I'm not a big fan of stereotypes, but its plainly obvious that you don't recognize that different regions in the country have different politics depending on issue.

Many of those Democrats you seem to lump together got elected on pro-gun platforms. My guess is you've not spent a great deal of time outside CA so you 'mistakenly reason' that every Dem is the same.

+1. Heck, the Dems in Oregon have adopted the 2nd into their platform.

Something I read earlier that's related.
http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary/comm_cop_killers.asp

Personally, aside from all the fear and anxiety created over a possible ban, its been great overall for the shooting sports. Don't know about the rest of you but I've recently met people who haven't shot in years, many new shooters, and our ladies 'handgun' classes have been packed like never before.

I've Owned (And Lived in a House in Texas, been to 40+ states and also have other Issues than 2a which means voting or considering voting Dem is out for me (in most cases) and Grew up in Kentucky/Texas/So Cal and now live in far Nor Cal where my county is 72%GOP/89%WHITE and with all my state Reps & congressman being GOP perhaps I'm a little Jaded on having to deal with the Dem power structure like you are ...

X-NewYawker
03-28-2009, 4:30 PM
Please remember that a certain number of Democrats in safe districts can afford to be pro-gun -- especially in the House where the DEM majority is so vast they don't NEED every dem to vote for a new AWB
Not to be cynical, but these people will in the end not STOP a ban if they can come back to their gun owners constituents and say. "Hey, I tried>"

AngelDecoys
03-28-2009, 4:35 PM
.... have other Issues than 2a which means voting or considering voting Dem is out for me (in most cases) ... perhaps I'm a little Jaded on having to deal with the Dem power structure like you are ...

I can't say I've ever considered voting for the other party either. I'm not a single issue voter (by any means). Can't say there's much on the Dem platform I agree with (and I get jaded as well). I'd say we both have a general distrust considering the Dem track record.

Just wanted to point out that citizens in other states seem to have no issue with say... legislatures controlled by Democrats, but Governorships that are Republican. Or states where 2nd issues are embraced, instead of argued.

Some CGers may not recognize that regional difference. I was just trying to emphasize that point as politics aren't always black and white elsewhere.

As you pointed out, you've lived elsewhere so you already know these differences. I apologize for assuming. Let's just hope these Dems recognize that on this issue they need to represent their constituents, and not the Pelosi/party 'national plan.'

Gator Monroe
03-28-2009, 5:13 PM
I can't say I've ever considered voting for the other party either. I'm not a single issue voter (by any means). Can't say there's much on the Dem platform I agree with (and I get jaded as well). I'd say we both have a general distrust considering the Dem track record.

Just wanted to point out that citizens in other states seem to have no issue with say... legislatures controlled by Democrats, but Governorships that are Republican. Or states where 2nd issues are embraced, instead of argued.

Some CGers may not recognize that regional difference. I was just trying to emphasize that point as politics aren't always black and white elsewhere.

As you pointed out, you've lived elsewhere so you already know these differences. I apologize for assuming. Let's just hope these Dems recognize that on this issue they need to represent their constituents, and not the Pelosi/party 'national plan.'

Ditto ! well said../

SirGlockALott
03-28-2009, 5:20 PM
This is good.

DocSkinner
03-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I'm nowhere near as much of a fan of capital punishment because it's too poorly applied. It's inconsistently applied, too delayed (for good reasons and bad), too expensive (again both good and bad- if it's expensive then it'd better be deserved, yet imposes a burden on the taxpayers), and worst of all after the fact. It is a poor substitute for putting them down on the spot in self defense to stop the crime.

+1

but I can't tell you (and probably don't need to!) how many people now think /say that shotting someone in self defense is vigilantism. Totally wrong, but so many are now programmed that way!

DocSkinner
03-29-2009, 12:05 AM

Good points - I grew up an Idaho democrat. so all teh big states i travel to say - Oh - so you are Republican!

NO -
I am a pro 2A pro-personal responsibility DEM. Makes me hate the DEM party and the system that lets these anti responsibility/anti-2A DEMS from CA and NY run the party and dictate platform because they have locks on votes. But then the REP don't seem to care to much about personal responsibility and taking responsibility for one's actions in this banking crisis - blame it on the corporation and the corporate society! Same MEGA BS as the DEMS blaming crime on society and teh current culture... SSDP - same ****e, different party.

DocSkinner
03-29-2009, 12:10 AM
the gun laws in Kommiefornia are illegal we have been brainwashed into believing that since the Kommiefornia legislature and judges say these laws are legal they are. imo if tested by the constitution and the intent of the founders they are illegal. The sad thing is if you don't acquiese to the illegal laws they will use force against you and deprive you of your Liberty and or property. so best idea is to kiss ***.

Laws e set by the people WE elect. the judges that determine legality are appointed by those WE elect. If you don't like how its going - change how you vote. Take back teh democratic party and take the 2A OUT of the equation. Wedge issues - 2A, abortion, homosexuality - are all distractors that get voters to put in people that can the screw us over 100+ different ways on other issues. If we take these issues way from teh parties, they have to start dealing with REAL issues. Its up to us

JoeC
03-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Laws e set by the people WE elect. the judges that determine legality are appointed by those WE elect. If you don't like how its going - change how you vote. Take back teh democratic party and take the 2A OUT of the equation. Wedge issues - 2A, abortion, homosexuality - are all distractors that get voters to put in people that can the screw us over 100+ different ways on other issues. If we take these issues way from teh parties, they have to start dealing with REAL issues. Its up to us

The trouble is that it seems for every one of us who votes for the good people there are 100 more that vote for the idiots.

DocSkinner
03-29-2009, 12:18 AM
The trouble is that it seems for every one of us who votes for the good people there are 100 more that vote for the idiots.

for every one 1 of us that votes that way in DEM primary - there are 1000s that don't vote in primaries either way, Those people could swing primaries if they paid attention and voted THEN instead of whining about the candidates on they get to choose from on the final ballot.

Change takes forethought.

cousinkix1953
03-29-2009, 5:34 AM
If the dirtbag is executed - he won't do it again. Otherwise, I can't think of any penalty, for any crimes; that will stop somebody else from doing it. Punishment for drug offenses include everything from a $100.00 pot fine, to life in prison for selling the hard stuff. We still have millions of dopers and dope dealers...

SirGlockALott
03-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Good deal.

DocSkinner
03-29-2009, 11:19 AM
If the dirtbag is executed - he won't do it again. Otherwise, I can't think of any penalty, for any crimes; that will stop somebody else from doing it. Punishment for drug offenses include everything from a $100.00 pot fine, to life in prison for selling the hard stuff. We still have millions of dopers and dope dealers...

exactly - laws set possible (i.e.: only have to pay if you get caught) prices for doing things, nothing more, nothing less, and you can then if cuaght, even turn around and haggle about the price.

Just like the current gun/ammo market, we can see that some are willing to pay a lot for somethings.

Teh death penalty sets a high cost - but only if you get caught and then if you can't haggle teh price down.
Itherwise death penalty cases are, so to speak, one shot deals...

cousinkix1953
03-29-2009, 8:49 PM
exactly - laws set possible (i.e.: only have to pay if you get caught) prices for doing things, nothing more, nothing less, and you can then if cuaght, even turn around and haggle about the price.

Just like the current gun/ammo market, we can see that some are willing to pay a lot for somethings.

Teh death penalty sets a high cost - but only if you get caught and then if you can't haggle teh price down.
Itherwise death penalty cases are, so to speak, one shot deals...

I was watching CNN last night. They were interviewing some rapper in Atlanta who got busted, for having an illegal unregistered Class 3 machinegun. Burrrrrrrrr! These are status symbols for the wealthy elites. He got only one year in jail after pleading guilty to a federal gun offense. Wait a minute; didn't our antigun rulers proscribe a 5-10 year sentence for such things a long time ago...

DocSkinner
03-30-2009, 9:21 AM
I was watching CNN last night. They were interviewing some rapper in Atlanta who got busted, for having an illegal unregistered Class 3 machinegun. Burrrrrrrrr! These are status symbols for the wealthy elites. He got only one year in jail after pleading guilty to a federal gun offense. Wait a minute; didn't our antigun rulers proscribe a 5-10 year sentence for such things a long time ago...

Any one remember what happened to Sean "mister Milk" Penn when he ahd two guns stolen from his car's glovebox in San Fran?

yellowfin
03-30-2009, 9:28 AM
If the dirtbag is executed - he won't do it again.If he's shot by the intended victim, he won't succeed the first time OR try it again. I like that better, don't you?

cousinkix1953
03-31-2009, 12:17 AM
Any one remember what happened to Sean "mister Milk" Penn when he ahd two guns stolen from his car's glovebox in San Fran?
Sean Penn lives in Marin county. The anti-gun sheriff issues CCW permits to rich celebrities who live there. A .357 magnum revolver and a 9mm Glock pistol were stolen from his 1987 Oldsmobile, while parked in marina of a gun free zone called Berzerkeley. The police found his car; but Penn's guns are in the hands of criminals.

I wonder if this changed his attitude at all, or is Penn still a hypocrite?

DocSkinner
03-31-2009, 8:31 AM
Sean Penn lives in Marin county. The anti-gun sheriff issues CCW permits to rich celebrities who live there. A .357 magnum revolver and a 9mm Glock pistol were stolen from his 1987 Oldsmobile, while parked in marina of a gun free zone called Berzerkeley. The police found his car; but Penn's guns are in the hands of criminals.

I wonder if this changed his attitude at all, or is Penn still a hypocrite?

was it Berkeley? I thought he was in SF when it happened.

and last I heard he had replaced them, because, you know, special people like him NEED them - its only the rest of us common types that are irresponsible and dangerous and don't deserve to own them.

And the irony of him playing Milk! Just wish some post-Oscars reporter would have asked "So Sean, do you still have you CCW and pistols?"

Wrote a letter to Chron - but of course, Milk and anything to do with him is sacrosanct and untouchable...

DocSkinner
03-31-2009, 8:32 AM
Need someone to do a Michael Moore on him and interview him under false pretenses and start asking THOSE questions, on camera, and see how it goes.