PDA

View Full Version : redistricting update?

yellowfin
03-27-2009, 11:07 PM
With Nordyke being somewhere between negative infinity and infinity away, various Assembly bills being unknown in definitive terms, the future governor's race being a theater of the absurd and horrifying, and the national scene hovering between halfhearted relief and terrifying threat of a communist takeover, does anyone know anything about the progress of California's redistricting? We could use some news that doesn't begin and end with "We'll see" or "I can't believe that a******, oh wait nevermind I can."

N6ATF
03-27-2009, 11:44 PM
http://rosereport.org/?p=1176

Today the US Department of Justice gave its formal approval to California’s Proposition 11 redistricting reform measure. This is the final step in approval of Prop 11. The independent redistricting commission is now official.

As noted in the DoJ Preclearance Letter (http://rosereport.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/doj-preclearance-approval-letter.pdf), future steps in this process will require additional DoJ review. These include any regulations issued by the State Auditor governing the Commission selection process, and the final plans eventually adopted by the Redistricting Commission.

For now, reformers can celebrate another victory, though much work remains to ensure the Commission is successful.

yellowfin
03-27-2009, 11:51 PM
The only thing that bugs me about that is who is running the US Justice Department... Good grief, could this administration be any more ill timed? :mad:

GS2AC President
03-28-2009, 1:36 PM
With Nordyke being somewhere between negative infinity and infinity away, various Assembly bills being unknown in definitive terms, the future governor's race being a theater of the absurd and horrifying, and the national scene hovering between halfhearted relief and terrifying threat of a communist takeover, does anyone know anything about the progress of California's redistricting? We could use some news that doesn't begin and end with "We'll see" or "I can't believe that a******, oh wait nevermind I can."

My understanding is that this will be slowly meandering through the State Elections Dept. and the board that will draw the new lines will not be in place until the end of 2009.

The person who is supposed to be dealing with the particulars of setting up the board is Catherine Montgomery, Initiative Coordinator. You can reach her at 800 833 8683 or 916 657 2166. I have called her a half dozen times and left messages to get information on how we can nominate people to this board . Like most of the clowns in Sacto she has yet to return a call.

The board is supposed to be composed of an equal number of Dems and Repubs nominated through their party structures. There will also be 3 or 4 " regular folks " on the board. I am hoping that we find a way to swamp them with nominations and increase our chances of having a role . I imagine every member of Acorn will be trying to get on the board as well.

yellowfin
03-28-2009, 2:35 PM
Sounds like we need to be contacting the parties just as much or more than the coordinator...an interesting choice of title to say the least.