PDA

View Full Version : 10/30 Magazines...

Frijolito1988
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Ok so i got to thinking lastnite, Why is it that we have HAVE to pernantly modify our rebuild kits/old magazines if we want to make them into 10/20's 10/30s ? I understand the legaly of

a) A person only putting a screw on the side of the magazine that only allow's it to load 10 round...fact being it is very simple to take off the screw and make it a 20 or 30 round magazine..that makes sense..BUT

b) A person putting a epoxy block inside the magazine to only hold 10 rounds. the ONLY way to make it hold 20 or 30 rounds again is to DISSASEMBLE the magazine take off the epoxy block and assemble it back to a 20 or 30 round magazine...now if you bough a rebuild kit, put a epoxy block inside, and just assemble the magazine back, that magazine will only hold 10 rounds. If a LEO or anybody else wants to know HOW it holds ten rounds wouldent the legality issues be

" It is a rebuild kit, i assembled it with a epoxy block to only hold 10 rounds...if you dissasemble the magazine and take off the epoxy block, then once again it is a rebuild kit if the LEO gets smart and assembles it BACK to a 20 or 30 round magazines, would HE be the one making it into a normal capasity magazine ? point being

This is my way of thinking that when we get rebuild kits OR use our old pre ban magazines to make them into 10/20s or 10/30's we DO NOT need to make them permanent ?

Untamed1972
03-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Never really understood why someone would want to bother with 10/30 mags. Seems kinda silly to me. At that point it just seems to be about cosmetic look / ego. And with the possibly negative attention it could draw.....why bother with it? Just get 10rd mags and then you got no 'splainin' to do Lucy.

Save your 30 rounders for when the zombies come.

MrSigmaDOT40
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Never really understood why someone would want to bother with 10/30 mags. Seems kinda silly to me. At that point it just seems to be about cosmetic look / ego. And with the possibly negative attention it could draw.....why bother with it? Just get 10rd mags and then you got no 'splainin' to do Lucy.

It's just a bit hard to grab those little 10/10's during tactical matches i know that much. I say 10/20's and 10/30's FTW.

Frijolito1988
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM

from expirience and in my opinion , USGI mags are more reliable that POS commercial 10 rounders.

Untamed1972
03-27-2009, 10:21 AM
It's just a bit hard to grab those little 10/10's during tactical matches i know that much. I say 10/20's and 10/30's FTW.

All right.....I'll give you that. But you're not likely to get much hassle from the COPs at a tactical match. The ones I've been too.....everyone had 30rd mags and "fully functional" ARs too. I remember thinking...."Wow...is ALL this stuff preban and RAW?" Granted alot of the guys there were LEOs so that prolly had something to do with it.

Untamed1972
03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
from expirience and in my opinion , USGI mags are more reliable that POS commercial 10 rounders.

You gotta get the ones with the formed/round corners on the feed lips....not the one with just the bend tabs.....those ones suck.

MrSigmaDOT40
03-27-2009, 10:36 AM
All right.....I'll give you that. But you're not likely to get much hassle from the COPs at a tactical match. The ones I've been too.....everyone had 30rd mags and "fully functional" ARs too. I remember thinking...."Wow...is ALL this stuff preban and RAW?" Granted alot of the guys there were LEOs so that prolly had something to do with it.

you have probably been to more then me but the ones i've been too almost everybody had a BB. just a few pre ban or Monster Man Grips.

I'm not too worried about it, if it is that big of deal just epoxy the floor plate on (I use pmags so that's the best option). Now when the law wants to put a torch to the floor plate to get it off and illegally modify it to a 30 rounder i believe hell will be freezing over.

Frijolito1988
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Ok guys this is not a discussion about who likes 10/30's and what you guys think of them, its about the legalities stated above.

bwiese
03-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Jeezus it's happening again...

PC 12020(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means
any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
So...

- if you make a new 10/30 mag from parts, it'd better be damn well not easily restorable to hicap status. "Permanently altered" is not defined in law and a pop rivet, bent tabs, etc. could well be regarded by a judge as insufficient. My view is that it'd better well-nigh take a nuke to recover capacity and/or require significant mag damage in an attempt to do so.

[Yes, there's some testimony in the Hunt case that can be helpful but most of the 10/30 "tacticool dressup goons" crowd seems to not have the employment/income level to afford that much lawyering.]

- a mag failing the above issue when used in a fixed-mag (i.e, Bullet-Button) configured rifle risks triggering 2nd definition of AW status (semiauto centerfire rifle with fixed mag holding over 10 rounds).

I guess I fail to see the attraction of 10/30s.

I've gone over this repeatedly in the past 2+ years.

MrSigmaDOT40
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Frijolito1988
03-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Alright thanks bill just though that in the "process" of it being made back into a rebuild kit , when the magazine is completely dissasebled the unlawfullness would fall upon the person modifiying it or rebuilding it back to normal capasity.

Thanks.

tkmech21
03-28-2009, 8:01 AM
Alright thanks bill just though that in the "process" of it being made back into a rebuild kit , when the magazine is completely dissasebled the unlawfullness would fall upon the person modifiying it or rebuilding it back to normal capasity.

Thanks.

I see where you are going there but, If your talking about a LEO that would question you about a 10/30 mag, then try to dissasemble and reassemle into its original state getting in trouble for it. I highly doubt it.

wash
03-28-2009, 1:18 PM
Jeezus it's happening again...

PC 12020(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means
any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10
rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it
cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
So...

- if you make a new 10/30 mag from parts, it'd better be damn well not easily restorable to hicap status. "Permanently altered" is not defined in law and a pop rivet, bent tabs, etc. could well be regarded by a judge as insufficient. My view is that it'd better well-nigh take a nuke to recover capacity and/or require significant mag damage in an attempt to do so.

[Yes, there's some testimony in the Hunt case that can be helpful but most of the 10/30 "tacticool dressup goons" crowd seems to not have the employment/income level to afford that much lawyering.]

- a mag failing the above issue when used in a fixed-mag (i.e, Bullet-Button) configured rifle risks triggering 2nd definition of AW status (semiauto centerfire rifle with fixed mag holding over 10 rounds).

I guess I fail to see the attraction of 10/30s.

I've gone over this repeatedly in the past 2+ years.
Bill, isn't that the law regarding the importation/manufacture of magazines?

I think if you start with a pre-ban magazine there would be no requirements at all. The only risk is an AW charge if you make an 11/30 by accident and put it in a fixed magazine semi-automatic rifle.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rtlltj
03-28-2009, 2:44 PM
10/10's for peace of mind. Explaining why my 10/30 mag is legal to a cop is just one less thing I want to deal with if I have to explain why my OLL is legal.

Vtec44
03-28-2009, 6:38 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2119076&postcount=54

AndrewMendez
03-28-2009, 6:51 PM
Then the cop would have illegally made your legal 10/30 mag into an illegal 30 ROUND MAG!!! OMG!! Think of the innocent children thats going to harm! And all the criminals in mexico thats going to help!

I think we seriously need to do something about this bull s**t law!

VW*Mike
03-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I have never wanted to open myself up to trouble. That being said, for aesthetic purposes only, it doesn't look right with a puny little 10 rounder hanging out of the bottom. If you do get questioned, you better keep 10 rounds handy the LEO can load so you don't get carted off.