PDA

View Full Version : M38A1 with dummy M2HB in the news

383green
03-27-2009, 9:52 AM
Here's a report of a guy with a vintage, restored M38A1 military jeep with a mounted dummy M2HB, who appears to have experienced an involuntary LE contact:

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=97639@kcbs.dayport.com

Here's a summary, as passed along to me a day or two ago from another mailing list:

I was on the military radio collector radio net tonight on HF and discussion came up that one member in Los Angeles, while driving home from work today, saw a WWII jeep with a M2 .50 cal mounted, pulled over by police with guns drawn, severl patrol cars and the LAPD chopper. The suspect was out of the jeep waving a small American Flag. Look for it on the news.

While I'm not at all surprised that this caused a big scene, I wonder if this detention may have exceeded a reasonable 12031(e) check?

How might this situation have been different if the gun (whether real or not, but assumed to be legal in any case) was covered with the proper canvas or vinyl machinegun cover?

Untamed1972
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
All I can say is: What a dumbass for driving around with a big "Hey COPs come and screw with me" sign mounted to his jeep.

As a side note that Mary Beth McDade chick it fully HOT!!!

freonr22
03-27-2009, 10:01 AM
their picture in the background in the beginning show a cannon/howitzer type ...HA!

Jamez
03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
All I can say is: What a dumbass for driving around with a big "Hey COPs come and screw with me" sign mounted to his jeep.

oooh yea GIGIDDY!

freonr22
03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
so was he trying to uoc?

Untamed1972
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
so was he trying to uoc?

:rofl: :thumbsup:

CHS
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Isn't that down the street from Fort Macarthur?

Wouldn't the cops in that area know/assume that a OD Green Jeep with a "BIG SCARY MACHINEGUN" mounted to it was just a WWII Re-Enactor?

Absurd.

They make a huge huge deal out of this, but then downplay the whole "we anticipate no charges being filed" part.

383green
03-27-2009, 10:19 AM

Granted, I don't think that anybody here would be surprised at the police and news reactions to this. But still, how is a situation like this really any different from any other UOC'er getting handcuffed at gunpoint after somebody panicked and called in a "man with gun" report? It was instantly clear to me that this wasn't even a functional M2HB from the walk-around in the news footage, because I could see right through the cocking pin slots in the empty receiver housing. This is a case where a 12031(e) check could have been made from a distance without even touching the suspected gun.

So, yes, I agree that the jeep owner was an idiot for driving around in LA with an uncovered mounted dummy machinegun on a military jeep, given any reasonable understanding about how so many people (unreasonably) suffer catastrophic loss of bowel control at the mere sight of a gun. But still, was his detention reasonable? Did it cross any legal boundaries? Might the jeep owner have a reason to contact the Right People to avoid possible legal repercussions from this? Is there any way that our Right People could use this situation to our benefit?

In my opinion, looking pretty is no excuse for yellow journalism. I have nothing but contempt for her. I only even saw this news item because the link was passed along to me; I stopped wasting my time watching the useless trash on TV news a long time ago.

their picture in the background in the beginning show a cannon/howitzer type ...HA!

I noticed that, too. I think it was a 106mm recoilless rifle mounted on an M38A1C. They should have used clip art of an M38A1D instead... the talking heads missed a perfect chance to one-up their own "OMG!!!1! MACHINEGUN!!!11!ELEVEN!!!1!" newsgasm with clip art of a jeep-mounted nuke launcher. :rolleyes:

383green
03-27-2009, 10:25 AM
They make a huge huge deal out of this, but then downplay the whole "we anticipate no charges being filed" part.

Given my low expectations for TV journalists, I was pleasantly surprised that the "no charges" comment didn't end up on the cutting room's virtual floor. But that's just me, always looking for the silver lining. :p

timdps
03-27-2009, 6:21 PM
I do note that the news report says that man was seen aiming the gun at passersby. Probably a pretty easy brandishing charge....

CHS
03-27-2009, 7:01 PM
I do note that the news report says that man was seen aiming the gun at passersby. Probably a pretty easy brandishing charge....

The reporter said that, the police however, did not.

VW*Mike
03-27-2009, 8:58 PM
If it were mounted on a Metal flake red Monte Carlo with gold wire wheels, it would be a whole different scenario. No different then If I have a period accessory for one of my cars. They are out driving around. So what.

TwitchALot
03-28-2009, 7:04 PM

And what of the officers, who attempted to pull over a suspect possibly armed with an M2 .50 cal machine gun with their service pistols drawn? :p

CSACANNONEER
03-28-2009, 7:14 PM
I know, for a fact, that some of the jeep mounted M2s and 1919s are not dummy guns. I bet he was doing something wrong. I've towed a lot of cannons past LEOs and I normally recieve thumbs up from them. The only time I was lit up while towing was because the LEO wanted to let me know that a strap had come loose and was dragging.

CitaDeL
03-28-2009, 7:39 PM

While everyone is entitled to their opinion, not all opinions should be aired. Calling someone who clearly is a WWII militaria enthusiast a 'dumbass' on a gun forum is at best poor form.

I believe the police here went too far in detaining the man in cuffs... but this is coming from someone who wholeheartedly supports all lawful demonstrations of the second amendment perogative.

jamesob
03-28-2009, 7:55 PM
there is a guy in my town who drives his jeep all over and it has a 50 cal mounted and a garand on the dash. all demilled of course.

MrNiceGuy
03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
That reporter is hot! Me like :p