PDA

View Full Version : Got Subpoenaed - Have to Testify Against a Gang Banger!

oaklander
03-26-2009, 8:35 PM
Some of you might remember this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=122558), in which I talked about seeing a shooting, and "chasing down" the shooter with my car (which led to his arrest).

Well, now it's time to put my money where my mouth is - I've been subpoenaed by the local DA to testify against the alleged shooter.

The trial will be next month.

Should be interesting, and I look forward to telling the truth and hopefully putting this guy behind bars!

And yes, I'll be watching my 6 (and 3 and 12 and 9). . .

:D

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-26-2009, 8:39 PM
Where at? I for subpoenaed to San Quenton once cause they threw the guy back in for a parole violation while they sorted out the rest of it. It was just the DA/ADA and the perp and the lawyer and me sitting around a table. Then a week later I saw a show about Charles Manson - and there was a clip of him in the same room, I thought it was cool at the time.

But this will be the actual trial?

oaklander
03-26-2009, 8:43 PM
Where at? I for subpoenaed to San Quenton once cause they threw the guy back in for a parole violation while they sorted out the rest of it. It was just the DA/ADA and the perp and the lawyer and me sitting around a table. Then a week later I saw a show about Charles Manson - and there was a clip of him in the same room, I thought it was cool at the time.

But this will be the actual trial?

Well, they subpoenaed me for the parole hearing - then called me and told me not to come - then I got the letter today about the trial - so I'm not sure what they are up to!!!

I'm going to call the DA manana and get the scoop. . .

jdberger
03-26-2009, 8:44 PM
it's a trap

Ironchef
03-26-2009, 8:50 PM
I've been subpoena'd several times as a witness to a crime back in September in Antioch and each time i call the day before the appearance date (the DA doesn't even look at the cases they prosecute until the day before!) I'm told it's been moved back (defense tactics 101). Anyway, now that I'm living out of state and having talked with a DA in CoCo County one last time, she says if I am subpoena'd again, they'll fly me out and put me in a hotel! So yeah, party in my room!!! Actually, I told her how bad an idea that was because it's been so long now, I'd never be able to ID the guy..but she says my description of the events is enough (even though they have a perfect recording of his step by step as I gave it to the dispatcher that night..which i'm sure would somehow contradict whatever I end up saying...). I also said it is so expensive since they will be buying tickets (probably a day or two before which is hell of expensive for you CCCounty tax payers) and when it gets pushed back...the flight is probably cancelled (hopefully refunded) and bought again!

Anyway..crazy stuff..law and order and all that mumbo jumbo! Watch! The day I start a new job up here I'll have to fly down to Martinez, CA! lol

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-26-2009, 9:00 PM
PM me when that happens! Contra Costa CGN night at Ironchef's hotel room!

ETA: Wait, that can sound bad. Hm.

wildhawker
03-26-2009, 9:12 PM
PM me when that happens! Contra Costa CGN night at Ironchef's hotel room!

ETA: Wait, that can sound bad. Hm.

Especially if it's an open carry event...

yellowfin
03-26-2009, 9:24 PM
As Capital One would say, what's in your holster?

Paladin
03-26-2009, 9:25 PM
Some of you might remember this thread (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=122558), in which I talked about seeing a shooting, and "chasing down" the shooter with my car (which led to his arrest).

Well, now it's time to put my money where my mouth is - I've been subpoenaed by the local DA to testify against the alleged shooter.

Should be interesting, and I look forward to telling the truth and hopefully putting this guy behind bars!

Remind me not to attend any of your parties for, oh, at least six months after the end of the trial. :TFH: :hide: :eek: :p

EOD3
03-26-2009, 9:26 PM

If you're not packing heavy already, it's time to start. If you don't have a CCW perhaps you can make arrangements with the DA. :)

QuarterBoreGunner
03-26-2009, 9:27 PM
Avoid open ended questions; stick to 'yes' and 'no'. Don't elaborate.

CABilly
03-26-2009, 9:29 PM
CCW, here you come!

Gray Peterson
03-26-2009, 9:32 PM
I would say so. Testifying against a gang banger should score you a CCW unless you're in San Francisco proper.

diginit
03-26-2009, 9:42 PM
Good Job! Put the lowlife away. And get a CCW.
We need more people that know the difference between right and wrong and that are not afraid to get involved. How else can we stop this kind of sh*t.

TRICKSTER
03-26-2009, 9:52 PM
I would say so. Testifying against a gang banger should score you a CCW unless you're in San Francisco proper.

It's still the Bay Area. It would take an act of God to get a CCW. We are talking about Oakland in Alameda County, Oakland ran all of it's legal gun shops out of the city and is very anti 2nd. Alameda County is also the home of Berkeley, and Don Perata.

Gray Peterson
03-26-2009, 11:54 PM
The DA can apply some pressure to the Sheriff.

Mulay El Raisuli
03-27-2009, 6:25 AM
it's a trap

So where's that picture of Admiral Ackbar?

Seriously, Oaklander, I'm proud of you (for whatever that's worth). Putting you on the line in support of what you believe is very inspiring.

The Raisuli

Whiskey_Sauer
03-27-2009, 7:16 AM
Good for you, Oaklander. You're doing the right thing (not that you have any other choice.)

But be prepared to be frustrated by endless waiting, delays and continuances. I used to feel sorry for all of the civilian witnesses we had to subpoena for trial. Had to spend countless hours waiting around to be called. But you know the drill.

WokMaster1
03-27-2009, 7:22 AM
I've been subpoena'd several times as a witness to a crime back in September in Antioch and each time i call the day before the appearance date (the DA doesn't even look at the cases they prosecute until the day before!) I'm told it's been moved back (defense tactics 101). Anyway, now that I'm living out of state and having talked with a DA in CoCo County one last time, she says if I am subpoena'd again, they'll fly me out and put me in a hotel! So yeah, party in my room!!! Actually, I told her how bad an idea that was because it's been so long now, I'd never be able to ID the guy..but she says my description of the events is enough (even though they have a perfect recording of his step by step as I gave it to the dispatcher that night..which i'm sure would somehow contradict whatever I end up saying...). I also said it is so expensive since they will be buying tickets (probably a day or two before which is hell of expensive for you CCCounty tax payers) and when it gets pushed back...the flight is probably cancelled (hopefully refunded) and bought again!

Anyway..crazy stuff..law and order and all that mumbo jumbo! Watch! The day I start a new job up here I'll have to fly down to Martinez, CA! lol

Don't get your hopes up too much. It's most likely the Motel 3 (not even Motel 6) next to old apartment.:D

How's things up in Canada?:chris:

paintballergb
03-27-2009, 9:38 AM
Prepare for sitting outside the court room for hours. I was on a case once where a few people sat outside the courtroom for 2 full days of trial just to have a plea reached before they ever testified.

QuarterBoreGunner
03-27-2009, 9:40 AM
He's an attorney, he knows.

Huh, did not know that. The single (fingers crossed ONLY) criminal trial I was ever involved in, the ADA drilled that into me; it's difficult to suppress that need to over-explain things. I was trying to avoid one of those 'Perry Mason' moments and just say my piece. Had to bite my tongue a couple times.

Whiskey_Sauer
03-27-2009, 9:40 AM
He's an attorney, he knows.

Here is my favorite example of how to answer questions under oath:
Question: "Can you tell me what time it is?"
Answer: "Yes." (if you have a watch on or can see a clock), or "No." (if you don't have a watch on and can't see a clock).
Question: "So what time is it?"
Answer: "My watch (or the clock) shows 10:29, but I don't know how accurate it is".

The whole thing is a game that involves answering exactly the question that was asked, not volunteering any information, and qualifying any answer that you are not 110% certain of. While at the same time conveying exactly what you know, not more, and in particular not less.

That is for a deposition, not for trial testimony. I think you misunderstand the purpose of his testimony.

ETA: That type of testimony would be disasterous in front of a jury, especially coming from an attorney.

Whiskey_Sauer
03-27-2009, 9:54 AM
I see from the original story that the defendant fired a shot at the OPD.

I have a feeling this trial is going to get continued.

MontClaire
03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Make sure your tone of voice is very firm and make angry face and look at the banger straight in to his eyes like you own him. He should be trembling inside. They all do when they face someone who knows what they doing. And Oaklander! you're definitely the serious guy in a room not to mess with and you know what you're doing. Good luck buddy. We got your back.

Bad Voodoo
03-27-2009, 10:21 AM

Jesus, man. If he's really a banger your little castle is right in the middle of HIS 'hood. It's not like they'd have to travel far to send a message.

I understand the constitutional right to confront one's accuser, but this is the problem with how witnesses must divulge certain information during trial. It sucks that witnesses have to struggle with doing what's right vs. doing what might get you or your family seriously hurt.

Good on ya, for doing what's right, but damn.

KylaGWolf
03-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Oaklander good luck on testifying. After what happened last week in Oakland I wonder how impossible it will be to get a CCW now. I do say KUDOS in taking that piece of trash off the street. I wish more people would stand up and do the same thing. Better yet I wish the DAs would put the scum away. My quasi (live in partner's dad) FIL is basically dealing with two punk kids that assaulted him...with fist not gun and looks like the DA here is going to do jack on it or at most misdemeanor and FIL has to have surgery on his face thanks to the these two punks.

oaklander
03-27-2009, 10:58 AM
LOL - I'm actually in the process of moving. Even if he somehow finds my old address, it will be the wrong one!

That being said, I'll be keeping my AK and 30 round magazine by the door for a while.

:)

Jesus, man. If he's really a banger your little castle is right in the middle of HIS 'hood. It's not like they'd have to travel far to send a message.

I understand the constitutional right to confront one's accuser, but this is the problem with how witnesses must divulge certain information during trial. It sucks that witnesses have to struggle with doing what's right vs. doing what might get you or your family seriously hurt.

Good on ya, for doing what's right, but damn.

Trakker
03-27-2009, 11:00 AM
ccw baby...request it from the da

berto
03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks for doing the right thing and helping clean up Oaktown.

GuyW
03-27-2009, 5:52 PM
Your leverage against the system evaporates once you testify....

...and "professional courtesy" doesn't stretch far enuff to get a CCW...

Personally, I'd be testifying that the government not only has no duty to protect me per the Government Code, but actively prohibits me from effectively defending myself with a gun and arrests me if I try...

sv_1
03-27-2009, 6:35 PM
It's too bad more people don't have the balls to stand up to these people. Good Job!

oaklander
03-27-2009, 7:27 PM
Thanks for doing the right thing and helping clean up Oaktown.

Thank you!

sfpcservice
03-27-2009, 7:35 PM
If you're not packing heavy already, it's time to start. If you don't have a CCW perhaps you can make arrangements with the DA. :)

It might go something like CCW for me and my wife or I forget why I'm here....:chris:

kajvid
03-28-2009, 4:20 PM
I am an Oakland-Alameda CCW holder (one of about 130 in Alameda). Let me explain what in took to get one:
I was involved in a take-over robbery in Berkeley. They killed my dog, tied up me and another guy, model 60 .357 to our heads. Took my wallet with my name and address on my DL and my parents info was in it too. We were held for 1.5 hours during the robbery. At least 5-6 times the gun was put to my head with the hammer back. Mind you, when the whole thing started I verified it was loaded (easy to do with a Model 60). For whatever reason they left us alive. I broke the straps (adrenaline works wonders) and called 911. The driver of the U-Haul was nabbed within 5 minutes. Days later another perp was nabbed. TONS of death threats during the pretrial. Gang members in the court room. The trial was daily threats. I got to the point where I started to threaten them back........we kind of got use to each other during a 8 week trial! I even had a guy's mom threaten to kill me!

I had to threaten to move out of state and refuse to return for a trial. BEG the cops to help me out, get a lawyer to call the DA and try to talk sense into him. After all of that I was STILL DENIED. The Alameda Sheriff said I had "No valid reason". The acting BPD chief (2002) got involved at the request of the BPD detectives handling the case. They showed him my old Texas permit and explained the situation. FINALLY, they found an understanding judge who signed it and with a little help from the DA I had a permit in a matter of days. I had the cops writing my reference letters! I have had to renew a couple of times and it is ******** but I have managed to hang onto it.

Don't count on getting one for this, my friend!

End of the story was that the CCW is brought up during the trial and they try to make me out to be a "gun nut" and prone to violence. One guy 11 years, one guy 19 years.

N6ATF
03-28-2009, 4:34 PM
Redirect, your honor.

Mr. Kajvid, please tell the court when you received your CCW and for what reason.

>After being a victim of this crime, I needed a CCW to have a chance to live to testify in this trial if this entire gang and their mothers' death threats became a reality.

No further questions.

bohoki
03-28-2009, 4:52 PM
i would have a really hazy memory till i had a ccw permit

kajvid
03-28-2009, 4:59 PM
>>>Mr. Kajvid, please tell the court when you received your CCW and for what reason.<<<<

I believe it was September of 2002. The crime was 9/13/02. If I recall (without it in front of me) I was issued at the end of that month or very early October of 2002. It took the Berkeley PD, Tom Orloff (sp?) and judge Leo Dorado (again sp?) to make it happen. I had to got to the judge a second time when a renewal was being denied. I also got me a nifty tax payer financed vest out of the deal! And I am not kidding, the defense went after me for the CHL/CCW. I was a racist gun nut!

Reason again was as above: Direct death threats considered to be valid. Read the above account. I can give more details but I am sure everyone can skip the long version. I fully expect to have it yanked any day! Of course, I have expected that for quite some time! The renews have been based on the parole eligibility and threats made from prison. Even then I was denied and had to go to the judge!

N6ATF
03-28-2009, 5:10 PM
It didn't need a reply (or two). I was just pretending I was the ADA in court when the defense got on your case for it.

SirGlockALott
03-28-2009, 5:13 PM
A neighbor, friend and I were witnesses to a shooting by a veteran gang member. We were all Subpoenaed to testify. At the court house this guy had a good dozen of his homies there to intimidate us. That week my neighbors car was torched in his driveway and his house on another night was vandalized with graffiti. Death threats were made against all of us. My neighbor finally moved after gang members kept walking and driving by his house throwing up gang signs and continuing to make threats. My friend found out that these gang members new where he lived and also moved. I stayed where I was and was left alone. Only because the DA new what was happening and said he would not call upon me to testify, only if needed. I never had to testify and was not harassed. I got lucky.

kajvid
03-28-2009, 5:16 PM
Actually, it was "How do you know it was a S&W model 60?" "I bet you wish you could have shot them, right?" "You don't like black people, do you?" "Do you love guns?" "Are you paranoid enough to carry a gun?"

No, I am not kidding.

kajvid
03-28-2009, 5:18 PM
My friend found out that these gang members new where he lived and also moved. .

I was moved at the cost of "Victim/Witness". They paid first/last/dep.

N6ATF
03-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Let's see,
I read it right off the frame when it was in my face...
I wish I would not have been a powerless victim...
I don't like criminals no matter their color...
I do not love inanimate objects, I love living creatures...
I'm not sure what you mean by paranoid. As I understand it, paranoia is perceived, not justified fear. I certainly didn't imagine the gun in my face and being tied up. Fear of that happening again or worse is justifiable.

kajvid
03-28-2009, 6:26 PM
Let's see,
I read it right off the frame when it was in my face...
I wish I would not have been a powerless victim...
I don't like criminals no matter their color...
I do not love inanimate objects, I love living creatures...
I'm not sure what you mean by paranoid. As I understand it, paranoia is perceived, not justified fear. I certainly didn't imagine the gun in my face and being tied up. Fear of that happening again or worse is justifiable.

That's it!
"How close were you to the gun, sir?"
Me: "At any given moment; less than one inch!"

That scary part was when that hammer was back. He was not using "proper trigger finger safety" and I was sure that ****er was going to fire it without meaning to!

As for race; I was dating a girl from Peru at the time. She was ........"dark". The day after all of the racist stuff we sat her right in the very front all for all of the jury to see! Pretty funny after the trial. The jury picked up on it!

oaklander
03-29-2009, 8:01 PM
Wow - all I can say is wow.

I am glad you made it out alive!

I am an Oakland-Alameda CCW holder (one of about 130 in Alameda). Let me explain what in took to get one:
I was involved in a take-over robbery in Berkeley. They killed my dog, tied up me and another guy, model 60 .357 to our heads. Took my wallet with my name and address on my DL and my parents info was in it too. We were held for 1.5 hours during the robbery. At least 5-6 times the gun was put to my head with the hammer back. Mind you, when the whole thing started I verified it was loaded (easy to do with a Model 60). For whatever reason they left us alive. I broke the straps (adrenaline works wonders) and called 911. The driver of the U-Haul was nabbed within 5 minutes. Days later another perp was nabbed. TONS of death threats during the pretrial. Gang members in the court room. The trial was daily threats. I got to the point where I started to threaten them back........we kind of got use to each other during a 8 week trial! I even had a guy's mom threaten to kill me!

I had to threaten to move out of state and refuse to return for a trial. BEG the cops to help me out, get a lawyer to call the DA and try to talk sense into him. After all of that I was STILL DENIED. The Alameda Sheriff said I had "No valid reason". The acting BPD chief (2002) got involved at the request of the BPD detectives handling the case. They showed him my old Texas permit and explained the situation. FINALLY, they found an understanding judge who signed it and with a little help from the DA I had a permit in a matter of days. I had the cops writing my reference letters! I have had to renew a couple of times and it is ******** but I have managed to hang onto it.

Don't count on getting one for this, my friend!

End of the story was that the CCW is brought up during the trial and they try to make me out to be a "gun nut" and prone to violence. One guy 11 years, one guy 19 years.

BDOG
03-29-2009, 8:51 PM
You would be a fool to not be packing. Tell the judge you want ccw,vest or shove it and you didn't see a thing. What a mess. Interesting post and keep us updated.
Good Luck

Doheny
03-29-2009, 9:09 PM
ccw baby...request it from the da

Only sheriffs and CoPs can issue.

scr83jp
03-30-2009, 2:01 PM
Years ago I was assigned to a remote desert area juvi caseload with some hardcore crazy kids with dangerous unpredictable parents with lenghty rap sheets ,had no radio for communication & the dept didn't believe in arming . A supervisor I had gave me some advice that it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 so I could decide what to do, I choose to protect myself .

WokMaster1
03-30-2009, 4:02 PM
Wow! just wow. I can't believe the DAs & PD who are supposed to protect us are so adamant about not allowing those testifying to be protected from the gangs. I wonder whose side they are on. No wonder this state is so ****ed up!!!!!:mad:

oaklander
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Well, I just put in my CCW app. today. We will see how it goes.

Tried to get in touch with DA today - no luck. I will be telling him that I am proud to come forward as a citizen and testify, but that I will expect to get a CCW out of it. After what Latrine Mixon did, I've come to believe that there are people out there that have no regard for human life. I actually used to believe it, but I didn't think that those kind of people were so common. . .

ldivinag
03-31-2009, 12:11 AM

hold on...

lemme get this straight...

while the crime was happening, you didnt have a CCW.

during the trial and after being threatened, you get a CCW.

then the defense lawyer start grilling you on the CCW????

i swear.... this state is so wack. i think they are willing to get citizens killed instead of making in a must issue state.

sigh...

Soldier415
03-31-2009, 2:47 AM
Oak. Be sure to take care of yourself and keep your situational awareness up at all times.

Better be still standing so you can attend the calguns beer bash when I get home :D

kajvid
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
hold on...

lemme get this straight...

while the crime was happening, you didnt have a CCW.

during the trial and after being threatened, you get a CCW.

then the defense lawyer start grilling you on the CCW????

i swear.... this state is so wack. i think they are willing to get citizens killed instead of making in a must issue state.

sigh...

You are correct, sir. They brought it up which made for a freaking field day while discussing the death threats against me. If they didn't do it (as claimed) why threaten me? Real group for geniuses.

I wanted to walk in wearing my vest but the judge was having none of that!

One of the BPD dropped a whopper on the stand (which I wasn't in the room for) when he said they (BPD) had done 4 video interviews with me "just in case" something happened to me. Glad I didn't hear that one!!!!!

jnojr
03-31-2009, 1:15 PM

Tell them you don't remember a thing, and won't until you are issued a CCW.

jnojr
03-31-2009, 1:24 PM
Well, I just put in my CCW app. today. We will see how it goes.

Tried to get in touch with DA today - no luck. I will be telling him that I am proud to come forward as a citizen and testify, but that I will expect to get a CCW out of it. After what Latrine Mixon did, I've come to believe that there are people out there that have no regard for human life. I actually used to believe it, but I didn't think that those kind of people were so common. . .

After you testify, your application will die.

Tell the DA, "I need the CCW first. You call the Sheriff, you call your boss, you call the Chief, you call the judge... I don't give a f^%# who you call, but you get me this piece of paper before I put my life on the line by testifying against a violent gang member."

Once they have what they want, they're done with you.

kajvid
03-31-2009, 1:50 PM
After you testify, your application will die.

Tell the DA, "I need the CCW first. You call the Sheriff, you call your boss, you call the Chief, you call the judge... I don't give a f^%# who you call, but you get me this piece of paper before I put my life on the line by testifying against a violent gang member."

Once they have what they want, they're done with you.

I told them I would leave the state and then contact every media outlet I could. I said that directly to the Sheriff's face. I told him "I will spend every waking moment campaigning to let everone know that you let these two walk."
He was more than unhappy to have the DA and a judge up his butt about this after the initial denial.

As for "Once they get what they want......." Kind of, kind of not. Alameda County Victim/Wittiness Support has been stellar. They kept me up to date on all appeals and now on the parole hearings, etc.

And you should see how fast they dismiss me from jury duty!

7x57
03-31-2009, 1:56 PM
Alameda County Victim/Wittiness Support has been stellar.

At last there is justice. For so long I have yearned for government support for wittiness.

7x57

Gaucho
03-31-2009, 3:39 PM

I have jury duty in Oakland starting on April 6. Maybe I'll see you in court!

N6ATF
03-31-2009, 4:06 PM
At last there is justice. For so long I have yearned for government support for wittiness.

7x57

Bahaha.

JDay
03-31-2009, 4:07 PM

I think you can ask for compensation if you miss work.

yellowfin
03-31-2009, 7:16 PM

7x57
They've been paying for witlessness for decades apparently in Sacramento.

spddrcr
03-31-2009, 7:53 PM
I was jumped on monument blvd at the jack in the box (fast food will kill ya) and turned the two thugs in. didnt think about it at all till about a year later when their cousin broke into my house while my wife slept and i was working in the living room. I pretty much did a good job on the cousin as well and he was arrested and taken to the hospital in front of my house. when it came time for trial the DA said there was no way i was getting a CCW and that if i didnt testify aginst the kid he wasnt going to take it to court:eek:

luckily the kid pleaded guilty and is serving some time but i still worry about the day i will find him in my house again:(

WokMaster1
03-31-2009, 8:00 PM
How much does the DA care about this case? The cops want it for sure but will the DA get with the program or they just don't care. Will they just plea bargain the case for 60 days in jail then put the guy on parole.

Be careful out there Oak.