PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Sheriff's Race adds another contender

Bill_in_SD
03-26-2009, 6:13 PM
No idea about how he feels about CCW yet.... if anyone knows, please let us know!

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/26/bn26bejarano184021/?zIndex=73272

SAN DIEGO ó David Bejarano, a Chula Vista school board member and former San Diego police chief, said Thursday that he is running for sheriff.

Bejarano filed a candidate intention statement for the 2010 election with the Registrar of Voters on Monday.

Bejarano, 52, served as San Diego police chief from 1999 to 2003, when he resigned to become U.S. marshal. He served two years in that position before resigning to join a private security firm.

He was appointed to the Chula Vista Elementary School District board in January 2007 to fill a vacancy. He was elected to a four-year term on the board in November. He lives in Bonita.

Sheriff Bill Kolender is retiring.

Other candidates who have filed intention statements to succeed Kolender are Jim Duffy, chief of staff for county Supervisor Ron Roberts and son of the late Sheriff John Duffy; Bill Gore, Kolender's second-in-command and former head of the FBI's San Diego office; Jay La Suer, a former state assemblyman who served 25 years in the Sheriff's Department; and Bruce Ruff, a former Sheriff's sergeant who ran for sheriff in 1994, 2002 and 2006.

Chris Moran: (619) 498-6637

2009_gunner
03-26-2009, 6:16 PM
Even if we get AB357, I'm still voting for Jay La Suer.

jnojr
03-26-2009, 6:20 PM
He didn't do squat for us as Chief of SDPD. I'll bet money he's against CCW and "assault weapons".

I'm voting for Jay La Suer.

pneutin
03-26-2009, 7:09 PM
I don't know David Bejarano, but if he served on an elementary school board, chances are he's not pro-2a.

KylaGWolf
03-26-2009, 7:29 PM
pneutin not all that care about education are anti 2a. Then again there is a reason I am never going to be on the school board. ;)

damon1272
03-26-2009, 8:38 PM
I like La suer but Bill Ruff is GTG also on 2nd amendment issues.

slick_711
03-26-2009, 10:18 PM

Ruff is squared away on CCW but not as much so on other 2A issues as Jay is (or other issues that I agree with Jay on, but those may not be your views).

HunterJim
03-27-2009, 5:52 AM
Wherever Mr. B. goes you don't hear anything about his activities after his initial appointment. I would say he works more on his next gig than anything else.

He is not a friend to pro-gun folks.

jim

paladin4415
03-27-2009, 6:22 AM
David Bejarano is pretty squared away and was a decent Chief of Police for San Diego. His CCW policy will be very similar to the outgoing Sheriff Kolender.

Bruce Ruff is a nice guy that has no chance what-so-ever of winning.

LaSuer has said that he will very CCW friendly, but has had 2A issues in the past.

Duffy and Gore will probably be in line with Kolender on CCW as well.

Sheriff John Duffy was beloved by the rank and file deputies, but I think those days of law enforcement are over.

GuyW
06-30-2009, 6:12 PM
...pligarized from the Dehesa Valley Gazette:

"**Humm. David Bajarano was SD City Police Chief. Big job. Big department. He quit. Why? Well he had an offer to be a U.S. Marshal. Huh? Leave a command job to be federal flunky? Naaaa. He had packed in 24 years in the cop shop. It was grab the pension loot-health care-etc time. Why work at a job when you can be paid for not doing that job. More years wasnít gonna garner much more pension money. Bail.

Smart fellow that many gummint workers are..he jumped into a job that offered opportunity for another pensionÖ.but flunky-dome can be a *****. So into the private sector. That mostly sucked. Hello. All my life at the public swill bucket and Iím gonna survive in the public sectorÖno guaranteed pension. Forget this.

Hey, I know, Iíll run for SD County Sheriff. Public Chob, not as good as my Police Chief gig but pension, pension, pension. And I wonít have to flunk or scrape up biz in the private sector. Iím raking in city pension, at county Iíll get a good pay check and score time for my second pension payout.

Am I reading too much into this? I think not. Why leave a job as SD Police Chief in a department you served for almost a quarter century to take a lateral job as Sheriff. Letís spell it together please P-E-N-S-I-O-N. Good work folks.

Weíll look at the other candidates for SD County Sheriff in future issues."

GuyW
06-30-2009, 6:15 PM
David Bejarano....His CCW policy will be very similar to the outgoing Sheriff Kolender.

Duffy and Gore will probably be in line with Kolender on CCW as well.

Absolutely - no self-defense for average folks. Your wife and kids aren't worth spit to these elitist bureaucrats....

SD CCWs probably number about 1500 IIRC (and dropping).

KylaGWolf
06-30-2009, 6:26 PM
So far I haven't seen candidate one for sheriff here I would vote for. Some say Ruff is a good guy well that good guy isn't nearly as 2A friendly as he wants you to think. This is my feeling after hearing him speak to a group or 2A friendly people. I am beginning to think writing in Bozo the Clown might be a better choice for Sheriff at this point.

GuyW
07-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I am beginning to think writing in Bozo the Clown might be a better choice for Sheriff at this point.

It's your vote (of course).

How many permits do you expect Bozo to issue?

GuyW
07-07-2009, 5:22 PM
Plaigarizing from the Dehesa Valley Gazette:

"On topic, I think we need to be wary of Bruce Ruff (candidate for SD County Sheriff) when it comes to the 2nd Amendment item. Word is he got pissed at an open forum recently when talk turned to CCW and an armed citizenry. At Saturdays Secure America Now event at Camp Vigilance he tried to fence both sides on the issue. Heíll be lenient with CCW permits, within the law, but wants us to rely on the Deputies for personal safety. More to come on this item as we continue to review the candidates for County Top Cop job."

nick
07-07-2009, 5:41 PM

You might want to check out pullnshoot25's account on what the guy's been saying at a meeting. Didn't sound like he was good on 2nd Amendment issues at all, much as he tried to show that. Or rather, he understands them way differently from most on this board.

cousinkix1953
07-07-2009, 6:19 PM
He didn't do squat for us as Chief of SDPD. I'll bet money he's against CCW and "assault weapons".

I'm voting for Jay La Suer.
The guy is on the SCHOOL BOARD. These govermental bodies are a major source of anti-gun hysterics today. They fire teachers who belong to the NRA. They fired a Wisconsin teacher after seeing picture of her at a range with a shotgun on the weekend. A coed was harassed and expelled from a public university in consrvative Louisiana, just because she is a card carrying member of "Students for Concealed Carry". Big government would crucify her butt in the peoples' republik of Kommiefornia.

Totalitarian school board types like to meddle in peoples' private business. They don't like free speech either. I wouldn't vote for this con man, if he told me what I wanted to hear...

cousinkix1953
07-07-2009, 6:27 PM
...pligarized from the Dehesa Valley Gazette:

"**Humm. David Bajarano was SD City Police Chief. Big job. Big department. He quit. Why? Well he had an offer to be a U.S. Marshal. Huh? Leave a command job to be federal flunky? Naaaa. He had packed in 24 years in the cop shop. It was grab the pension loot-health care-etc time. Why work at a job when you can be paid for not doing that job. More years wasnít gonna garner much more pension money. Bail.
He sounds just like the last two sheriffs in Santa Cruz county. Both quit in the middle of their 4 year terms only to be replaced by supervisors appointees. Both were paid six figures; but they did nothing for two years.

The same of crap goes on in Sacramento! Unelected boards and commissions are created, to provide state government jobs for politicians, who are term limited out of office. They too get paid six figures, to attend just a few annual meetings.

No wonder they're going bankrupt...

hamster
07-07-2009, 7:07 PM
So.... Jay is still the guy to vote for?

wildhawker
07-07-2009, 11:10 PM
CCW will come [in all likeliness fairly soon] via the courts - why not focus on the 'best sheriff' for the county? Having a dyed-in-the-wool pro-2A/CCW (which I continue to doubt in all the candidates) but incompetent sheriff may have some negative unintended consequences.

motorhead
07-08-2009, 8:29 AM
bozo in 2010? i'm in!
face it, the deputie's union will pick the next sherriff. the election is just for show.

GuyW
07-08-2009, 10:55 AM
So.... Jay is still the guy to vote for?

Absolutely.

HunterJim
07-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I am supporting Jay and voting for him.

I have the pleasure of knowing Jay, and also did volunteer work with him and his wife for a hunting group. I think he is a solid guy, and I recommend that you support him as well and give him a contribution.

jim

CoinStar
07-08-2009, 1:49 PM
They fire teachers who belong to the NRA.

Oh really.
If you know of any here locally, or anywhere in California for that matter, you should PM me. They all need to file an ULP, etc.

Personally, I don't think this level of unfounded hysteria is necessary to conclude that Bejarano isn't the best choice for the sheriff's seat and that La Suer is, but hey... don't let me stop ya.

Sheriff Jay
07-29-2009, 5:52 AM
Listen In Live as Sheriff Joe Arpaio from Maricopa County and I talk with Rick Roberts, 760am KFMB @ 7:00am about some VERY EXCITING news! And donít forget: Join Rick Roberts, Jimmy Valentine and myself this Friday, 31 July, 4-7:00pm. for the Rosie Rosas Drive Thru Fund Raiser at the Scottish Rits Center in Mission Valley, under the tents! We need to pull together as a community and support this young family left behind after the BRUTAL MURDER of Border Patrol Agent Robert Rosas, Jr. SEE YOU THERE!!!

1923mack
07-29-2009, 6:50 AM
Will Bozo get a pension?

GuyW
08-12-2009, 2:09 PM
Bejarano's out of the race (think there might have been some behind the scenes pressure applied??)

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/11/bn11cvchief-bejarano/?metro

Bejarano to be named Chula Vista police chief
By Tanya Sierra
Union-Tribune Staff Writer
9:24 p.m. August 11, 2009

CHULA VISTA – Former San Diego Police Chief David Bejarano will be Chula Vista's new chief of police, city officials announced Tuesday night.

Bejarano, who suspended his candidacy for county sheriff, was one of four finalists for the chief's position. The City Council voted 4-0 to ratify the selection made by City Manager Jim Sandoval.

Bejarano said he is thrilled to be back in a chief of police position and is particularly proud to serve the community where he has resided for almost 30 years.

“It's a great department and a great city,” he said. “Ever since I left the chief's office in San Diego, I missed it.”

Bejarano is planning a news conference at 2 p.m. Wednesday at City Hall, where he is expected to announce that he is quitting the sheriff's race and accepting the job as Chula Vista's police chief.

Chula Vista announced a nationwide search to replace former Chief Rick Emerson when he retired in May. Emerson planned to stay on until a new chief was hired, but left abruptly last month when Sandoval asked him to rescind the promotions of nine police officers because he said Emerson made them without his authorization.

Sandoval said he made it clear he wanted the new chief to make any promotions. Two of the rescinded promotions were later reversed because they had already taken effect.

Bejarano said he will address the promotion issue within 30 days.

Forty-five people applied for the police chief position. Two community panels interviewed 12, and four made it to the finalist interview round with the city manager last week.
Bejarano, 52, has spent the last few months campaigning for county sheriff. He raised $100,402 for that race, far more than any of the other candidates. The Chula Vista position didn't become open until after he declared his candidacy for sheriff.

“I simply could not ignore this opportunity at this state of my law enforcement career,” Bejarano said. “My family and I are humbled and grateful for the early support received for the sheriff's campaign and we sincerely appreciate all those who supported my candidacy. I've asked our treasurer to close our campaign committee and arrange to have the balance refunded to contributors.”

Bejarano, who is also a school board trustee in Chula Vista, is a public safety veteran. He served 24 years with the San Diego Police Department, ending his career there as the city's first Latino chief, a position he held from 1999 to 2003.

He left the department to become U.S. marshal for San Diego and Imperial counties, holding that position just under two years.

Councilman Rudy Ramirez said he has high expectations of Bejarano.

“I'm looking forward to a new era of law enforcement in Chula Vista,” Ramirez said. “Chief Emerson took us to an important level and I expect the new chief will help us achieve other great milestones.”

Bejarano will oversee a staff of 346 employees and manage a $50 million budget.