PDA

View Full Version : WTS/WTT TRITON 450 SMC(.45Cal) Ammo(price drop!!!)

08blkngld1000
03-26-2009, 4:07 PM
SOLD

08blkngld1000
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Bump

08blkngld1000
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Bump!

08blkngld1000
04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Bump. Anyone!

Tony.
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
BTW, this is great ammo. The ammo can be fired from any .45ACP firearm and give similar performance to .45 Super.

JMZ
04-02-2009, 1:53 PM
PM sent

jumbopanda
04-02-2009, 2:38 PM
BTW, this is great ammo. The ammo can be fired from any .45ACP firearm and give similar performance to .45 Super.

Absolutely not. Many .45acp firearms cannot handle such hot loads.

08blkngld1000
04-03-2009, 11:01 AM
todays daily bump!

08blkngld1000
04-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Saturday bump

tankerman
04-04-2009, 5:26 PM
Absolutely not. Many .45acp firearms cannot handle such hot loads.That's a pretty vague statement. Please list some of the guns not able to handle this ammo?

Since you made this blanket statement, you must know a lot about the pressure these rounds produce. Why don't you educate us with your facts?

Just curious, are you old enough to own a handgun?

08blkngld1000
04-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Absolutely not. Many .45acp firearms cannot handle such hot loads.

soo far my 1911's, SIG p220
a friends H&K.45, Glock 21, S&W .45, and CZ .45

have all handled this ammo with out any jams or barrel getting messed up messing up!

so also please kindly tell me which .45 handgun wont handle this ammo?

tankerman
04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
He's thread crapping.

08blkngld1000
04-04-2009, 10:17 PM
He's thread crapping.

prety much and is also against the rules!

jumbopanda
04-04-2009, 11:49 PM
That's a pretty vague statement. Please list some of the guns not able to handle this ammo?

Since you made this blanket statement, you must know a lot about the pressure these rounds produce. Why don't you educate us with your facts?

Just curious, are you old enough to own a handgun?

Your pompous ignorance is astounding.

I'm 20 and I'm sure I know at least as much as you do about this topic. What do you hope to prove by belittling me for my age?

I DO own a couple of handguns, but that's not really relevant because I do not plan on torture testing any of my firearms with loads they were not designed for. If I do decide to shoot SMC or Super loads in my 1911, I'll be sure I have the appropriate modifications to allow the gun to handle such powerful rounds in the long run.

.450 SMC is very similar to .45 Super, only the SMC has a small primer instead of a large one. .45 Super produces around 28,000 psi compared to the SAAMI maximum of 21,000 for .45acp and 23,000 for .45acp +P. Since these pressures are relatively low compared to most modern handgun cartridges, any .45acp firearm can chamber and fire .45 Super and .450 SMC, and is unlikely to blow up or otherwise fail catastrophically. However, the wear on the gun can be excessive. Generally good quality steel framed guns such as modern 1911s can handle these loads just fine although heavier recoil springs are recommended. I'm not sure how well polymer guns such as glocks and XDs handle these loads. I definitely wouldn't shoot Super or SMC rounds in an alloy framed gun.

soo far my 1911's, SIG p220
a friends H&K.45, Glock 21, S&W .45, and CZ .45

have all handled this ammo with out any jams or barrel getting messed up messing up!

so also please kindly tell me which .45 handgun wont handle this ammo?

It takes a lot to burst a barrel, and jams aren't usually caused by hot loads anyway. How many of these SMC rounds have you shot through each of those guns? As I said, these loads are not hot enough to destroy a gun in one or two shots, but they will cause a lot of wear over time if your gun is not built for them.

He's thread crapping.

Well, if my "thread crapping" prevents someone from damaging their gun, I'll be sure to crap more often.

WoodrowShootist
04-05-2009, 12:12 PM
isn't there something odd about being 20 and owning "a couple" of handguns?

jumbopanda
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
isn't there something odd about being 20 and owning "a couple" of handguns?

Explain.

WoodrowShootist
04-05-2009, 12:32 PM
have to be 21 to purchase a handgun right??

jumbopanda
04-05-2009, 12:39 PM
have to be 21 to purchase a handgun right??

I never said I purchased them. I built one and got the other through interfamilial transfer.

tankerman
04-05-2009, 9:01 PM

I'm 20 and I'm sure I know at least as much as you do about this topic.:willy_nilly::rofl2: Thanks for the info 'wise sage'.:thumbsup:

Yes, I am aware you think you know everything. Hell, the internet is at your finger tips so of course you do.:rolleyes:

BTW, pretty hard to wear your gun out using ammo that's in short supply, it's not even produced anymore.:rolleyes:

jumbopanda
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info 'wise sage'.:thumbsup:

Yes, I am aware you think you know everything. Hell, the internet is at your finger tips so of course you do.:rolleyes:

BTW, pretty hard to wear your gun out using ammo that's in short supply, it's not even produced anymore.:rolleyes:

You asked, I gave you an answer. Would the information have been more valid if I obtained it from a book or from talking to people? At least I spend time trying to obtain useful info. What have you contributed here?

No, I don't think that I know everything. But I do make an effort to obtain the right info, and I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong. Do you have any info that contradicts what I'm saying? If so, I'd gladly listen.

I would think that at 28k psi, a few hundred rounds of these would be enough to leave a mark on an aluminum-framed gun.

SMC ammo may not be produced anymore, but .45 Super is. And if one believes that SMC rounds are perfectly suitable for ANY .45acp firearm, they may shoot .45 Super through their guns as well. They may also reload SMC/Super brass to produce their own high powered rounds that could possibly damage their firearm.

Now, do you have anything useful to say, or would you prefer to just continue being belligerent? I await your response, old man. :p ;)

To the OP: I'm not trying to hurt your sales, I just want to make sure people know what they're getting and don't cause unexpected problems by putting these rounds through a gun that they are not appropriate for. Enjoy the free bumps. :)

08blkngld1000
04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
[/QUOTE]

To the OP: I'm not trying to hurt your sales, I just want to make sure people know what they're getting and don't cause unexpected problems by putting these rounds through a gun that they are not appropriate for. Enjoy the free bumps. :)[/QUOTE]

Its not soo much about the free bumps, i dont knoe much about this ammo i recived it threw another trade, and like i said in my post these bullets where tested in multiple handguns and they worked fine with out any dammage to the gun or barrel, i just droped my 2cents in to let people know that these were tested in thoes guns and worked fine without hurting the barrel or handgun, i just want to sell or trade these not hurt anyone or their handguns!

jumbopanda
04-06-2009, 12:46 AM
To the OP: I'm not trying to hurt your sales, I just want to make sure people know what they're getting and don't cause unexpected problems by putting these rounds through a gun that they are not appropriate for. Enjoy the free bumps. :)

Its not soo much about the free bumps, i dont knoe much about this ammo i recived it threw another trade, and like i said in my post these bullets where tested in multiple handguns and they worked fine with out any dammage to the gun or barrel, i just droped my 2cents in to let people know that these were tested in thoes guns and worked fine without hurting the barrel or handgun, i just want to sell or trade these not hurt anyone or their handguns!

I don't doubt what you're saying, but there is a lot of discussion out there about .45 Super (almost identical to .450 SMC but with a large primer instead of small) and the general consensus is that not just any .45 Auto pistol can handle these loads. The muzzle energy stated on the box is about 40% higher than that of .45acp +P loads, and you don't get something for nothing. But it's not about immediate failure, it's about accelerated wear over time. Please don't take this as thread crapping because that is certainly not my intention.

A quick google search brings this up:

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15901
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90041
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-45acp-discussion-room/15811-has-been-determined-if-gun-45-super-safe-3.html

fastkevin
04-06-2009, 12:48 AM

I'm 20 and I'm sure I know at least as much as you do about this topic. What do you hope to prove by belittling me for my age?

I DO own a couple of handguns, but that's not really relevant because I do not plan on torture testing any of my firearms with loads they were not designed for. If I do decide to shoot SMC or Super loads in my 1911, I'll be sure I have the appropriate modifications to allow the gun to handle such powerful rounds in the long run.

.450 SMC is very similar to .45 Super, only the SMC has a small primer instead of a large one. .45 Super produces around 28,000 psi compared to the SAAMI maximum of 21,000 for .45acp and 23,000 for .45acp +P. Since these pressures are relatively low compared to most modern handgun cartridges, any .45acp firearm can chamber and fire .45 Super and .450 SMC, and is unlikely to blow up or otherwise fail catastrophically. However, the wear on the gun can be excessive. Generally good quality steel framed guns such as modern 1911s can handle these loads just fine although heavier recoil springs are recommended. I'm not sure how well polymer guns such as glocks and XDs handle these loads. I definitely wouldn't shoot Super or SMC rounds in an alloy framed gun.

It takes a lot to burst a barrel, and jams aren't usually caused by hot loads anyway. How many of these SMC rounds have you shot through each of those guns? As I said, these loads are not hot enough to destroy a gun in one or two shots, but they will cause a lot of wear over time if your gun is not built for them.

Well, if my "thread crapping" prevents someone from damaging their gun, I'll be sure to crap more often.

I opened this thread as I'm looking for ammo for my Glock 30 SF.
Your response right here was the only one I saw in this thread that seemed factual, and back up by data.
After reading your post, I know a lot more about .45 ammo than I had prior, and for that, and probably helping me avoid damaging my weapon, I thank you.
BTW- I'm 41, and although I shot I don't know how many .45 rounds while in the Army 20+ years ago, I'm happy I just learned something valuable from a 20-year-old.

08blkngld1000
04-06-2009, 1:56 PM
bump

tankerman
04-06-2009, 9:05 PM
Ok, loudmouth, now it's time to put your money where your mouth is.

I have several 45's, you 'claim' that shooting several hundred of these rounds will do damage to a gun. Since your so sure about about your 'claim' to thread crap on this guy's listing, it's time to prove your claim. I'm willing to buy "several hundred" to quote you, shoot them through a single 1911 in one day, if the gun is damaged then your 'claim' can be considered fact, if it's not damaged then you reimburse me the cost of the ammo. Put up or shut-up. (in my opinion if your 'claim' is found to be false you should be banned for thread crapping)

BTW, all your years of experience and memories (AKA history), would have told you that when Hi-Vel came out 25 or so years ago, ahhhh never mind, you'll find out.

Swapping out a spring is not "modifications", bro.

jumbopanda
04-06-2009, 9:26 PM
:rofl: You are truly persistent. Let's be honest though, you're not concerned with this guy's sale, you just feel like picking a fight with me to prove something.

"Several hundred" is obviously a rough estimate. I never claimed to be sure of exactly what it would take to damage a gun, and every gun differs. Plus I DID say that quality modern 1911s should be able to handle these loads. How about you try this little experiment with an old .45acp converted Webley revolver?

And call it what you want, but a stronger spring does make a difference...bro. It's simple physics.

Ok, loudmouth, now it's time to put your money where your mouth is.

I have several 45's, you 'claim' that shooting several hundred of these rounds will do damage to a gun. Since your so sure about about your 'claim' to thread crap on this guy's listing, it's time to prove your claim. I'm willing to buy "several hundred" to quote you, shoot them through a single 1911 in one day, if the gun is damaged then your 'claim' can be considered fact, if it's not damaged then you reimburse me the cost of the ammo. Put up or shut-up. (in my opinion if your 'claim' is found to be false you should be banned for thread crapping)

BTW, all your years of experience and memories (AKA history), would have told you that when Hi-Vel came out 25 or so years ago, ahhhh never mind, you'll find out.

Swapping out a spring is not "modifications", bro.

ivanimal
04-06-2009, 9:29 PM
Jumbo Panda you are wrong.

http://www.10-32supply.com/firearms/ammo/tritonhivel.htm

Some of us old curmudgeons have been shooting hivel for years without problems. They were made to get good expansion from a short barrel. NOT to duplicate 45 Super rounds. Quit crapping on this mans thread.

tankerman
04-06-2009, 9:30 PM
Thanks for proving you're just a bag of wind.:thumbsup:
:rofl: You are truly persistent. Let's be honest though, you're not concerned with this guy's sale, you just feel like picking a fight with me to prove something.

"Several hundred" is obviously a rough estimate. I never claimed to be sure of exactly what it would take to damage a gun, and every gun differs. Plus I DID say that quality modern 1911s should be able to handle these loads. How about you try this little experiment with an old .45acp converted Webley revolver?

And call it what you want, but a stronger spring does make a difference...bro. It's simple physics.

jumbopanda
04-06-2009, 9:34 PM
Thanks for proving you're just a bag of wind.:thumbsup:

So...I take it that's a "no" to trying the experiment with a weak old .45?

I get it, I agree to your terms or else everything I said is completely invalid...makes sense.

jumbopanda
04-06-2009, 9:38 PM
Jumbo Panda you are wrong.

http://www.10-32supply.com/firearms/ammo/tritonhivel.htm

Some of us old curmudgeons have been shooting hivel for years without problems. They were made to get good expansion from a short barrel. NOT to duplicate 45 Super rounds. Quit crapping on this mans thread.

Comparing those numbers with the numbers on the ammo boxes would tell you that SMC is indeed very similar to .45 Super. 770ftlb for the SMC, and anywhere from 600-800 ftlb for the Super from various sources I've found.

Starline, the makers of .45 Super brass has this to say on their site:

"Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!"

They could just be covering their asses, but it's something to consider.

If you have years of actual experience with these rounds, I'm not going to argue with you. I still do not think it would be wise to shoot these rounds in just ANY .45 firearm though. Just my opinion.

ivanimal
04-06-2009, 9:51 PM
Comparing those numbers with the numbers on the ammo boxes would tell you that SMC is indeed very similar to .45 Super. 770ftlb for the SMC, and anywhere from 600-800 ftlb for the Super from various sources I've found.

Starline, the makers of .45 Super brass has this to say on their site:

"Loads to be shot ONLY in guns modified professionally to handle extreme pressures of this cartridge. DO NOT SHOOT IN STANDARD 45 AUTO!"

They could just be covering their asses, but it's something to consider.

If you have years of actual experience with these rounds, I'm not going to argue with you. I still do not think it would be wise to shoot these rounds in just ANY .45 firearm though. Just my opinion.

THIS IS NOT 45 SUPER!

jumbopanda
04-06-2009, 9:58 PM
THIS IS NOT 45 SUPER!

Well then please explain to me how it is different. I know the small primer increases the case material at the rear, making it a bit stronger. But I fail to understand how this changes the effect on the speed of the slide when it recoils.

08blkngld1000
04-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Daily Bump!

08blkngld1000
04-08-2009, 1:36 PM
Bump!!!

dougader
02-18-2010, 9:16 PM
I know this is old... but wow. I found this simply doing a search looking to see if anyone had any 450 SMC brass for sale.

You do not have to be 50 years old to know what's what. The 20 year old is right in what he's said here.

BTW, if you have some Hi-Vel 450 SMC ammo from Triton it should have a yellow warning card inside the boxes of ammo that reads:

WARNING:

The 450 SMC cartridge generates higher pressure levels than conventional .45 Auto or .45 Auto +P ammunition. Under no circumstances should 450 SMC ammunition be used in a firearm not chambered or converted to handle the 450 SMC. The use of 450 SMC ammunition in anything other than firearms manufactured or converted to handle the 450 SMC will cause excessive wear and possible damage to the firearm and injury to the user.
Under no circumstances should 45 Auto brass be used to duplicate 450 SMC ballistics. The 450 SMC cartridge case is constructed to withstand higher levels of pressure than conventional 45 Auto brass. When in doubt, consult with a qualified gunsmith. Call Triton for more information or for a location of a qualified Smith.

dougader
02-18-2010, 9:22 PM
BTW, do you have anything other than the 165 grain ammo? I am looking for the 230 grain loading.

Also, itt doesn't take that much to convert your gun to shoot it. But if you don't you are asking for trouble.

My setup is a G21sf with a LWD 6" ported barrel, a steel recoil guide rod spring and a 22# recoil spring.

I load my own mostly in 45 Super brass from Starline, the latest is a Beartooth 265 grain WFNGC at 1000 fps:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/dougader/MVC-001F.jpg