PDA

View Full Version : Debating on enlisting (Officer)

The Bacon Eater
03-25-2009, 3:33 PM
Any help or advice would be great. Thank you in advance

thebloodsonthewall
03-25-2009, 4:21 PM
I have enlisted in the Army and I ship out to basic training in June. To be an officer you have to have a 4 year degree or higher. There was a post a few days ago about being an MP and how it doesn't really help you get a job in law enforcement. Just being in the military looks good when apply for LE.

The military has many good benefits that can help you with many parts of your life.

There are at least a couple recruiters on here and they will probably chime in.

dwa
03-25-2009, 4:27 PM
talk to cavtrooper

4literranger485
03-25-2009, 4:35 PM
i dunno what your situation is, but usually they can get you in on a "moral waiver" Basically you just say, hey, i was 18, dumb young kid, bad decision, hanging with the wrong crowd...bla bla bla

I got busted for shoplifting/concealed weapon when i was 17 (read above excuses, i was just being a dumb kid, and i regret it) I was already enlisted in the DEP waiting to leave. I lost my first contract, but the recruiter got me back in on a moral waiver, i still picked the job i wanted and all is well. I even recieved my TS clearance with no problems. Just be honest to the military about your run in with the law, and you should be good to go.

4 Brigada
03-25-2009, 4:36 PM
Hey good luck on what ever service and field you choose. I'm partial to the Air Force, there is no better place than the Armed Forces to learn what books cant teach you, skills that will be of use regardless of your actual duties. Talk to what ever recruiter over that incident and press him hard so he can work with you. There are waivers for everything.

pjmeado
03-25-2009, 4:41 PM
You will also find that some services are more willing to waiver certian "activities" than others. If you really are in it for gaining experience and even more education, the AF would definatly be the way to go. I spent 8 years in the Army working with differnet the different services and was always impressed with the knowledge of the AF guys..even right out of their technical schools. Good luck.

4literranger485
03-25-2009, 5:39 PM
You will also find that some services are more willing to waiver certian "activities" than others. If you really are in it for gaining experience and even more education, the AF would definatly be the way to go. I spent 8 years in the Army working with differnet the different services and was always impressed with the knowledge of the AF guys..even right out of their technical schools. Good luck.

awww, i'm gonna tear up! :p

You Army guys get the job done too! and usually with more guns than i get to play with :D

CavTrooper
03-25-2009, 5:47 PM
You wont get MP with a conviction on your record, and you wont get officer either. Your best bet would be to enlist in a job field that you think would be fun and use your training and experience to pad your resume.

At this point in time, waivers are getting slim. Too many people think they can F-up and come into the service as a last resort, guess what, doesnt work that way.

The Bacon Eater
03-25-2009, 5:50 PM
Great info guys, thanks. It was a simple possession of marijuana charge (misd.) I will pm cavtrooper in a few and see what he thinks. Thanks again to all who responded.

thebloodsonthewall
03-25-2009, 6:08 PM
Great info guys, thanks. It was a simple possession of marijuana charge (misd.) My problem might be the stuff that i did and did not get caught for. I will pm cavtrooper in a few and see what he thinks. Thanks again to all who responded.

Cavtrooper is a great guy. He helped me a lot once I decided to join.

DesertDawg
03-26-2009, 4:11 AM
Just a few thoughts:

#1: It may be possible for you to have your "minor" conviction expunged, or "erased". True, a background investigation will still reveal what the conviction was for, but the expungement might be in your favor. One drawback....it may cost you about $2,000.

#2: Instead of going in as an officer, look into the enlisted ranks. While in the military, you might be able to finish college, get a degree, then re-enlist as an officer.

#3: Your main desire is to become a LEO? I've known several people that were disqualified from several agencies before finding one where they were accepted. Also, you might try getting your feet wet by becoming a reserve police officer or reserve deputy. You will be awarded a POST certificate after "X" amount of time as a reserve, and it will be accepted throughout California.

ryang
03-26-2009, 9:15 AM
You might try getting your feet wet by becoming a reserve police officer or reserve deputy. You will be awarded a POST certificate after "X" amount of time as a reserve, and it will be accepted throughout California.
You have that backwards. First you get a Reserve POST certificate, then you (apply and) become a Reserve Officer.

California has three levels of Reserve Officers. Getting to Level I (the highest) requires taking the full academy training.

The Bacon Eater
03-26-2009, 9:42 AM
Just a few thoughts:

#1: It may be possible for you to have your "minor" conviction expunged, or "erased". True, a background investigation will still reveal what the conviction was for, but the expungement might be in your favor. One drawback....it may cost you about $2,000.

#2: Instead of going in as an officer, look into the enlisted ranks. While in the military, you might be able to finish college, get a degree, then re-enlist as an officer.

#3: Your main desire is to become a LEO? I've known several people that were disqualified from several agencies before finding one where they were accepted. Also, you might try getting your feet wet by becoming a reserve police officer or reserve deputy. You will be awarded a POST certificate after "X" amount of time as a reserve, and it will be accepted throughout California.

Great info. Its not looking good, so i will do what ever it takes to increase my chances. Thanks

!@#$
03-26-2009, 12:58 PM
"#1: It may be possible for you to have your "minor" conviction expunged, or "erased". True, a background investigation will still reveal what the conviction was for, but the expungement might be in your favor. One drawback....it may cost you about $2,000."

you don't need to pay 2k to get it expunged. go to the court house that you went to trial at they can help you with the paperwork. about $100 IIRC.