PDA

View Full Version : Which state has the best gun laws?

evan69
03-25-2009, 3:25 PM
Which state has the best gun laws, home defense laws, gun carry laws, all of that?

I know there isn't always an absolute best, but what are like the top 5?

Tyler
03-25-2009, 3:30 PM
Which state has the LEAST gun laws, home defense laws, gun carry laws, all of that?

I know there isn't always an absolute best, but what are like the top 5?

Fixed it for you :D

And Alaska is in the top 3 I believe.

Prowler
03-25-2009, 3:31 PM
montana

sorensen440
03-25-2009, 3:31 PM
Alaska by a mile from what I have seen

tombinghamthegreat
03-25-2009, 3:39 PM
Alaska and i think Vermont. Montana, Virgina, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada are very good too from what i hear.

Jicko
03-25-2009, 3:42 PM
From a frd of mine.

I picked up a book called “The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States” (dated 1/2008) just recently, and my favorite part is a quick score for each state.

The range is from 0 to 100, with 0 being “total prohibition”, and 100 being “total freedom”.

Here is the rundown. Enjoy!

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Col.
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

sorensen440
03-25-2009, 3:56 PM
From a frd of mine.
Reorganized

Alaska 99
Vermont 99
Missouri 93
Colorado 91
New Mexico 91
South Dakota 91
Texas 91
Arizona 90
Florida 90
Georgia 90
Idaho 90
Kentucky 90
Louisiana 90
Mississippi 90
Wyoming 89
Montana 87
Nevada 87
South Carolina 86
North Carolina 84
Virginia 84
Kansas 83
New Hampshire 83
Utah 83
Indiana 80
North Dakota 80
Ohio 80
Oklahoma 80
Oregon 80
Tennessee 80
Alabama 79
Pennsylvania 79
Washington 79
Maine 75
Nebraska 75
Minnesota 71
West Virginia 71
Delaware 67
Wisconsin 67
Arkansas 60
Michigan 51
Iowa 50
Rhode Island 50
California 39
New York 35
Illinois 30
Maryland 30
Connecticut 27
New Jersey 19
Hawaii 15
Massachusetts 15
District of Col. 2

deleted by PC police
03-25-2009, 4:02 PM
How is Utah an 83???

sorensen440
03-25-2009, 4:04 PM
How is Utah an 83???
More goes into the rating then if they give out of staters ccw ?

Heres a link I found with a small amount of searching
http://utahshootingsports.com/utahlawsremarks.htm

CCWFacts
03-25-2009, 4:16 PM
I would say Vermont. If I'm correct, it has no state-level gun laws at all, except for a law that preempts local authorities from regulating guns.

Hopi
03-25-2009, 4:18 PM
I would say Vermont. If I'm correct, it has no state-level gun laws at all, except for a law that preempts local authorities from regulating guns.

Yep. Vermont.

deleted by PC police
03-25-2009, 4:22 PM
More goes into the rating then if they give out of staters ccw ?

Heres a link I found with a small amount of searching
http://utahshootingsports.com/utahlawsremarks.htm

Most of those restrictions are restrictions from the federal level. Except the ccw stuff.

7x57
03-25-2009, 4:40 PM
"Best" is very subjective. Does your personal figure-of-merit function weight campus carry more or less highly than no restrictions on carbines? In any case, our ever-helpful friends the Brady Campaign have done the hard work of producing state-by-state rankings (http://www.stategunlaws.org/). I guess I'll put it in BB code, even though frankly it sucks and really doesn't handle ties well.

2008 Brady Campaign State Scorecard Rankings

RANK (POINTS) STATE

(79) California
(63) New Jersey
(54) Connecticut
(54) Massachusetts
--
(53) Maryland
(51) New York
(47) Rhode Island
(43) Hawaii
(28) Illinois
(26) Pennsylvania
(22) Delaware
(22) Michigan
--
(20) North Carolina
(18) Oregon
(18) Virginia
(18) Washington
--
--
(16) Colorado
(16) Iowa
--
(15) Alabama
(13) Ohio
(12) Maine
(12) Wisconsin
--
(11) Minnesota
(11) Nevada
(11) New Hampshire
--
--
(10) Nebraska
(9) South Carolina
(9) Texas
(9) Vermont
(9) Wyoming
--
--
--
(8) Indiana
(8) Montana
--
(7) Georgia
(7) Kansas
(7) Tennesee
--
--
(6) Arizona
(6) Arkansas
(6) Florida
(6) Idaho
(6) New Mexico
(6) South Dakota
--
--
--
--
--
(5) Mississippi
(4) Alaska
(4) Missouri
(4) North Dakota
(4) Utah
(4) West Virginia
--
--
--
--
(2) Kentucky
(2) Louisana
(2) Oklahoma

BTW, there is an error in the explanation where it says that a high score is good. Any fool can see that low is good, but I'm sure it's an unintentional mistake. :rolleyes:

Interestingly, there are some natural breakpoints. The first eight states constitute a kind of slave bloc, with California standing alone at the top as a kind of Gulag and New Jersey, I mean Joisey running an impressive effort to catch up.

Now, that ranking is based on the visceral fear that various policies induce in the anti-rights people, so I imagine it pretty closely fits my preferences. :43: Still, they give policy-by-policy breakdowns for each state, so even if you prefer something that doesn't scare them so much you can simply look at the state-by-state issues for your favorite issue. For example, why doesn't Vermont sit at the top? Turns out they score under "gun maker accountability," businesses not forced to allow legal CCW at work, no "stand your ground" law, some state regulation of FFLs, and no campus CCW requirement. So if you care about one of those, say campus CCW (maybe you're planning to attend school there), then Vermont may not be your first choice even though bearing arms in typical places is completely infringement-free.

Hmm, they don't have a category for lawful carry in the statehouse. I'm especially fond of that one for symbolic purposes. Oh, well.

I'm sort of tempted to produce a big 2-d chart by state and policy, it appears that this would be sort of interesting to examine.

7x57

Sinestr
03-25-2009, 4:58 PM
Maybe Utah got a lower rating because the beer has almost no alcohol content.:laugh:

Window_Seat
03-25-2009, 5:09 PM
I asked a similar question on the OCDO forum, and they came back with KY, AK, VT & OK being the friendliest.

I have been looking into OR & WA regs, and I have discovered that WA is pretty friendly, but both states have SI.

With MT & AK telling the feds to bite their ankles, I would call them right at the top of the NRA list, and the bottom of the Brady btihces

Erik.

socalT
03-25-2009, 5:14 PM
Bady report card as published above. Look at louisiana, CCW permitted in the workplace. Gotta love the cajuns

bigstick61
03-25-2009, 6:41 PM
Vermont, definitely. The only gun laws are that you can't carry a gun without permission inside a school building (K-12), and you must be 16 to independently purchase/possess/carry a handgun, or have parental permission and in the case of carry/possession, supervision of someone 16 or older. And the usual hunting regs of course. Anything else goes.

7x57
03-25-2009, 7:31 PM
With MT & AK telling the feds to bite their ankles, I would call them right at the top of the NRA list, and the bottom of the Brady btihces

I don't know what "btihces" means, but I agree those are things that merit some points.

Heh. Some calgunners with too much time on their hands (but I repeat myself) could produce our own set of rankings, with an on-line form to modify the weightings so any person can produce their own personalized rankings. There could be two forms--a simple questionaire that asks you to rate each issue on a 1-5 "very bad to very good" scale, as well as a form to simply edit the raw rankings.

Hmm, that would be sort of cool. I wonder if CG would host such a "state gun law ratings tool"?

7x57

Tyler
03-25-2009, 7:47 PM
South Dakota is pretty awesome too. The best 10 dollars i ever spent.... It cost me 10 bucks for a background check, and 5 min. filling out the form. Two weeks later my CCW came in the mail.

There is a 24 hour wait on handguns, but that is waved if you have a CCW.

CCWFacts
03-25-2009, 7:58 PM
Interesting, so VT isn't at the top because, while it has no state-level gun laws at all, it also doesn't have any laws that mandate certain things (legal to pack on campus etc). From my definition, I would still put VT at the top, although I do like that AK and MT are passing laws to defend their citizens against unconstitutional Federal laws.

7x57
03-25-2009, 8:15 PM
Interesting, so VT isn't at the top because, while it has no state-level gun laws at all, it also doesn't have any laws that mandate certain things (legal to pack on campus etc).

It would be interesting to know if it simply doesn't address the issue, leaving it up to each campus (my guess) or actually forbids it, as I *think* most states do.

I guess it's the former, and that doesn't seem like a big deal to me as it allows the campus carry fight to go ahead on each campus. It might even be better as you may prefer, but I agree that at worst it isn't a big minus. The accountability thing may be a big deal, however.

From my definition, I would still put VT at the top, although I do like that AK and MT are passing laws to defend their citizens against unconstitutional Federal laws.

Yeah, I like that, as much because it at least symbolically promotes Constitutional Federalism as for the actual gun-rights part. Obeying the law is always nice. :-)

7x57

CCWFacts
03-25-2009, 8:31 PM
It would be interesting to know if it simply doesn't address the issue, leaving it up to each campus (my guess) or actually forbids it, as I *think* most states do.

I think VT just doesn't have any state-level gun laws at all, except for a preemption that prohibits cities / counties from making laws, so any restrictions on guns would be imposed by campuses, churches, whatever. I think VT is unique in basically not having state-level gun laws, leaving all regulation up to private entities (campuses and so on) that choose or choose not to regulate it. Of course it can't escape Federal gun laws also.

AlexBreya
03-25-2009, 8:34 PM
i can imagine it would be a little more difficult to get people to ship certain guns and ammo to Alaska though.

freakshow10mm
03-25-2009, 8:43 PM
Vermont is overrated.

Indiana is definitely ahead of a lot. Lifetime carry permit for only $65. That's right. Turn 21, pay $65, carry for life.

NFA allowed except SBW. Long gun carry in vehicle without permit. Only 4 places you can't carry.

7x57
03-25-2009, 8:49 PM
I think VT just doesn't have any state-level gun laws at all, except for a preemption that prohibits cities / counties from making laws, so any restrictions on guns would be imposed by campuses, churches, whatever.

Yeah, that's not bad at all.

7x57