not very good salary...

robairto
03-24-2009, 7:23 PM
And if there's an upper age limit.

Yes there is. 40 I think

Digital_Boy
03-24-2009, 8:04 PM
not very good salary...

base + up to 25% locality adustment. That'd be for markets like San Diego, LA, and other high cost of living areas. so $43-73K becomes $54-92K. Not baller money, but entirely livable. Then you get the usual massive OT opportunities that let you push mid $100K once you're qualified.

bobfried
03-24-2009, 8:50 PM
It's actually base + locality + LEAP (law enforcement availability pay).

The dollar figure is very misleading as any federal LEO job pays more than the base pay would lead you to believe. The starting pay is low for such a job is low because OPM requirements will put anything above a GL-7 out of reach of most normal civilians not already in the federal LEO crowd. Expect to reach GS-13 in about 3-5 years time, which is the ACTUAL journeyman (meaning your now officially one of them) level for most if not all of the 1811 (Special Agent) jobs out there.

At that level your looking at a base of around $125k (base pay + locality + LEAP) with a take home car which could be a clapped out Taurus to a Tahoe all the way to a Lincoln Town Car. The thing with Treasury Secret Service Agents is that they end up doing fraud investigation crimes more than any presidential protection. If you've ever seen "Catch me if you can" with DiCaprio and Tom Hanks, that's what Hanks play, a treasury agent (aka Secret Service.) The majority (99%) of them will never see the president anywhere except on TV.

There is a 36 years of age limit for any federal LEO job.

Seesm
03-25-2009, 12:21 AM
Yeah I am bummed I tried to get hired on and I am 37. The guy was pretty cool but said too bad you did not do this 2 years ago... I am bummed as I am able bodied and woudl love to help everyone keep things good. :)

AndrewMendez
03-25-2009, 4:13 AM
Will they give me a CCW?

Trapper
03-25-2009, 6:29 AM
There will be a BP recruiter here in San Diego, at the South Metro Career Center on Market St from 9am-11am. I believe the age limit is 40 for military.

wcnones
03-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Shoot - I just may apply for this. I'm in the age range, will be done with my law degree in May, and have prior federal service due to my 4 years in the Marine Corps.

I just dunno about the 27 weeks of training - but hell for $73k (which is GS-9 level pay available to those with graduate degrees), I may do this.

Odin
03-25-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm applying tonight 0yrs prior federal service, BS in Computer science, and have never worked anywhere other than the private sector! Good luck competing with that!

Untamed1972
04-23-2009, 2:02 PM
Yeah I am bummed I tried to get hired on and I am 37. The guy was pretty cool but said too bad you did not do this 2 years ago... I am bummed as I am able bodied and woudl love to help everyone keep things good. :)

gotta love how age discrimination is illegal for all employers except the government who makes the laws.....they do the same thing with OT laws too.

GenLee
04-23-2009, 2:14 PM
Homeland Security is hiring.

I told you guys SAS was right they are getting ready to man the FEMA camps.

Seesm
07-17-2010, 5:25 PM
gotta love how age discrimination is illegal for all employers except the government who makes the laws.....they do the same thing with OT laws too.

Just found this thread again... Serious what is up with THAT... HIRE me homeland security... I am 38 but I have the body and strength of a 25 year old...