PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be stationed in CA

CPT CAVEMAN
03-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey all.

I am an Armor Captain in the 173rd out of Graf currently in southern Diyala. Just got picked up to go be a FAO when we get back and will be going to the language school in Monterey around Jul 2010. If I do my Master's at the Naval Post-Grad school i could be there 2.5 years.

I am a resident of AL. I am fixing to buy some sort of CQB rifle, either a FAL or M1A most likely. I and the wife both have CCW in AL.

I dont even know where to start to keep myself and my stuff out of harms way in Kalifornia. Any ideas where to start to educate myself?

Thanks in advance

Caveman

6172crew
03-24-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey all.

I am an Armor Captain in the 173rd out of Graf currently in southern Diyala. Just got picked up to go be a FAO when we get back and will be going to the language school in Monterey around Jul 2010. If I do my Master's at the Naval Post-Grad school i could be there 2.5 years.

I am a resident of AL. I am fixing to buy some sort of CQB rifle, either a FAL or M1A most likely. I and the wife both have CCW in AL.

I dont even know where to start to keep myself and my stuff out of harms way in Kalifornia. Any ideas where to start to educate myself?

Thanks in advance

Caveman
There are ways Active duty folks can have assault weapons. Your CCW is junk here as far as I know but CA goes by county and Im not sure which county you will live in but that will be something to ask the LE in your area about.

The AW paperwork can be had at the CA DOJ.:thumbsup:

brassburnz
03-24-2009, 7:13 PM
A couple of years ago I bought a 1911 frame from an Air Force aviator stationed at Edwards. He had a couple of AR15's he brought into the state. He said he contacted California's Department of Justice and received paperwork allowing him to bring his previously unregistered "assault weapons" with him to California.

I was more concerned about getting the frame transferred to me, so I was only paying attention to that. In order for him to sell me the frame, he gave the FFL a copy of his orders, proof of out of state military residency, and valid ID.

Anyway, it can be done, at least it was possible a couple of years ago. Not sure what's up today.

And if you just happen to pick up some Caspian frames and bring them out with you, I'd really appreciate a little "gift" for sharing this information with you! :D Actually, by the time you get here, I'm sure it won't be necessary.