PDA

View Full Version : Calguns Panoche Cleanup, April 11th, 2009 - PICS!

Turbinator
03-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Hi guys!

I said I'd post a date for pulling together a new Panoche cleanup trip, and here we go!

I've emailed the rangers and they may not be there in person, but they will help truck out the trash. All we need to do is supply the tools, labor, and trash bags, and they'll take away the stuff if we pile it up nicely.

So, before the gate closes for the spring and summer season, let's get a cleanup going and a shooting session afterwards!

Let's start with some basics - April 11th, Saturday, 2009. Time - 10AM onward. RSVP here. I will probably put a Calguns t-shirt visible on my vehicle somewhere so that y'alls will know who the Calguns people are on-site.

To make sure we have enough people power, I am going to ask that if you commit, that you make sure you can make it and help out. Bring your lunch, sunscreen, tools, guns, gear, gloves, table, chairs, etc - it's usually an all day thing and you don't want to waste your time showing up without having any toys to play with afterwards.

So, who's game?

(I do have some PM's I need to send to folks who RSVP'ed already - I'll get those out ASAP!)

Turby

doc1buc
03-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm in Norcal, is Panoche Socal? Do you have Latitude and Longitude coordinates? Would love to help preserve the shooting areas but I can't commit to 8 hour drive. Thank you.

sorensen440
03-23-2009, 2:05 PM
I'll be there
if anyone wants a ride from Livermore send me a pm

domokun
03-23-2009, 2:18 PM
I'm in Norcal, is Panoche Socal? Do you have Latitude and Longitude coordinates? Would love to help preserve the shooting areas but I can't commit to 8 hour drive. Thank you.

Panoche is in Northern CA, about 1 hour south of Los Banos, CA.

Turbinator
03-23-2009, 3:28 PM
Here is a link to the approximate area on Google maps:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.80241,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=36.77533,-120.727558&spn=0.064762,0.109863&z=13

Turby

elrcastor
03-23-2009, 3:30 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106416094397737886907.00045b141f422cefa57dd&t=h&z=14

Here's the spot "Shoot Mark 1"

BroncoBob
03-23-2009, 4:28 PM
Will be there.

Turbinator
03-26-2009, 4:29 PM
Oh yeah. The excitement and interest in this thread is overwhelming. :)

Hoping a few more can make it - those who have RSVP'ed, thanks!! I am thinking of printing out some small signs to staple up, so as to indicate where we'll be cleaning up.

If you're interested in joining the effort, please RSVP here!

Turby

edwardm
03-26-2009, 5:08 PM
Put me as tentative. Need to see if I can get a hall pass from the wife. ;)

Where is the cleanup going to focus, up at the top gate, like previous cleanups?

Oh yeah. The excitement and interest in this thread is overwhelming. :)

Hoping a few more can make it - those who have RSVP'ed, thanks!! I am thinking of printing out some small signs to staple up, so as to indicate where we'll be cleaning up.

If you're interested in joining the effort, please RSVP here!

Turby

Turbinator
03-26-2009, 6:05 PM
Put me as tentative. Need to see if I can get a hall pass from the wife. ;)

Where is the cleanup going to focus, up at the top gate, like previous cleanups?

Probably, as that tends to be the worst hit - most of the non-serious Panoche'ers go there 'cuz it's easier to get to. We'll probably focus there although a couple other stops on the interior need help, too, I figure. We can make a final call on the day of.

Good luck getting your hall pass - you might need to trade to get it - dishes? Dinner? Movie date? Romance? :D

Turby

sorensen440
03-26-2009, 6:06 PM
Maybe BBQ should be added to the thread title to get more support :D

diginit
03-26-2009, 7:29 PM
Hey Turby! Whats with the Tshirt on the hood? Don't you have a CG flag yet? :D I gotta get me one of those. If you want to post a sign, post a sign saying: "Clean up your F'n mess" at the third gate. ;) It seems people can't remember what they read at the main entrance after driving 4 miles on that dirt road. :(
I'm going to try to make it out on the 11th. I'll let you know for sure alittle later.

BroncoBob
03-26-2009, 8:56 PM

Hey BBQ would be good, great idea

Turbinator
03-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Attention all Calgunners - there will be bikini clad dancing girls at this Panoche cleanup!

Turby

Pending availability. No pics, sorry.

BroncoBob
03-27-2009, 4:21 PM
Attention all Calgunners - there will be bikini clad dancing girls at this Panoche cleanup!

Turby

Pending availability. No pics, sorry.

Better put this out on one of the main threads to get everyone's attention. Hey wait a minute Wes isn't driving all the way from Taft to model Rhino and Julies new JK Supply T is he?:rofl2::rofl2:

Turbinator
03-27-2009, 9:02 PM
Hey Turby! Whats with the Tshirt on the hood? Don't you have a CG flag yet? :D I gotta get me one of those. If you want to post a sign, post a sign saying: "Clean up your F'n mess" at the third gate. ;) It seems people can't remember what they read at the main entrance after driving 4 miles on that dirt road. :(
I'm going to try to make it out on the 11th. I'll let you know for sure alittle later.

Yeah, no flag yet, maybe I should get one - or make one - I'm cheap :)

Hope you can make it, should be a good get together!

Turby

Jel
04-01-2009, 10:25 AM
New member here and I'll be there. I should be with BroncoBob.

sorensen440
04-01-2009, 10:49 PM
New member here and I'll be there. I should be with BroncoBob.
Nice
I think I'm going to convoy down with you guys

knucklehead 61
04-02-2009, 10:00 PM
so howz this work, we clean up for a while then go shootin' ?

BroncoBob
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
so howz this work, we clean up for a while then go shootin' ?

Yep, clean up starts around 10 AM, then have fun rest of day. Sorensen 440 suggested a BBQ which Turby said would be OK. So bring your rake, trash bags, BBQ and have some fun shooting with some great guys.

BroncoBob
04-03-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice
I think I'm going to convoy down with you guys

Sounds good, should be a kick A** day. Will PM you with convoy details.

knucklehead 61
04-04-2009, 9:37 AM
if anyone wants some tannerite i can bring it to panoche.
pm for details...

TheBundo
04-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow, had a great time there yesterday for a couple of hours (made no mess, as usual). Then we went down to the ghost town of New Idria. Great time. We'll try to go, should be no problem.

mrboma
04-05-2009, 3:59 PM
I am seeing around a 2 hour 40 min drive from Santa Cruz. Can anyone from around here verify that? I should have a complete set of steel targets done by then and would like to try them out and meet some of the gang.
Regards,
Mike

sorensen440
04-05-2009, 8:36 PM
I am seeing around a 2 hour 40 min drive from Santa Cruz. Can anyone from around here verify that? I should have a complete set of steel targets done by then and would like to try them out and meet some of the gang.
Regards,
Mike
that sounds about right to me

BroncoBob
04-05-2009, 8:45 PM
Regards,
Mike

Hey sounds good, I plan on bringing some fruit so the animals will do the clean up. How about some rice cakes and paint them with bright orange?

TheBundo
04-06-2009, 1:04 AM
Regards,
Mike

At most. I can get from Los Banos to Santa Cruz in a little over 1.5 hrs., going the south route (not through San Jose). Just after San Juan Bautista, you can either go up to 152 and over to I5, or take the route through the hills south of Hollister. Either way, 2.5 hrs. wouldn't be too much of a push, and possibly 2.25

mrboma
04-06-2009, 6:56 AM
Sorensen / Bundo,
Thanks for the reply, I never trust Google Maps drive times.
I will see if I can make it next weekend.
Regards,
Mike

Turbinator
04-07-2009, 2:30 PM
Ok folks, this coming weekend is IT!!!

April 11th, Panoche cleanup. I'll be there with some friends. Still planning on arriving around 10AM, anyone who gets there earlier is more than welcome to kick off the cleaning or get the BBQ fired up.

Weather reports show partly cloudy, so dress accordingly - it gets windy there so you will probably need a light jacket at the least. Bring sunscreen - don't need any more skin cancer out there.

Figure we'll start by cleaning the first shooting spot as that one gets the worst of it, being the easiest to get to. If the group wants to split off and clean another spot, that's fine too.

See y'alls there..

Turby

diginit
04-07-2009, 3:51 PM
This might make you all feel better.
Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 65.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 41.

Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 67.
From the national weather service.

See you and the topless dancing girls there. ;)
Ya see how stuff gets started?

sorensen440
04-07-2009, 5:20 PM
what tools should we bring?

BroncoBob
04-07-2009, 7:40 PM
I'm planning on bringing a rake and trash bags.

diginit
04-07-2009, 8:53 PM
what tools should we bring?
Anyone got a bulldozer?
Just kidding. I was there 2 weeks ago and it's not that bad. Lots of shotgun shells though. If you reload hulls, You'll be a happy camper.

Turbinator
04-07-2009, 10:30 PM
The rake is a great idea. Trash bags, hefty style ones that are thick, if you can. Gloves to protect your hands would be good. The rakes are most useful. Maybe a shovel type thing to scoop the small piles into the trash bags..

Turby

TheBundo
04-07-2009, 11:51 PM
Bring a brass magnet, and a lead magnet :)

BroncoBob
04-08-2009, 6:07 AM
Bring a brass magnet, and a lead magnet :)

:eek::TFH::rofl2::rofl2:

jpnosworthy
04-08-2009, 8:52 AM
Ok, I've gotten permission to go (Being an adult is awesome). I also have this big pumpkin that my wife bought last Halloween that I want to put out to pasture permanently, although that could possibly be counter-intuitive to a clean-up effort. But on a serious note, what are the chances I'll make it there in my Mustang GT? (And no comments about the chances of making it anywhere in that car are not good..:) )

-J

edwardm
04-08-2009, 8:55 AM
If the road is dry, you'll make it up to the top of the hill without a problem. Beyond that, I would park the car and ride with someone in a high clearance vehicle.

Ok, I've gotten permission to go (Being an adult is awesome). I also have this big pumpkin that my wife bought last Halloween that I want to put out to pasture permanently, although that could possibly be counter-intuitive to a clean-up effort. But on a serious note, what are the chances I'll make it there in my Mustang GT? (And no comments about the chances of making it anywhere in that car are not good..:) )

-J

jpnosworthy
04-08-2009, 9:01 AM
Well if you see me pulled over on the side then pick me up.

Turbinator
04-08-2009, 2:12 PM

One of the guys brought a Honda Civic up to the top of the hill before. You'll make it ok.

The pumpkin, being biodegradable, is good to go.

If your targets don't biodegrade, then I would ask that you haul the bits back out with you when you're done.

Turby

jpnosworthy
04-08-2009, 2:15 PM
The pumpkin, being biodegradable, is good to go.

I was hoping we could line everyone up, have them take aim, and fire on 3. Love to see how far we could shower the pumpkin-guts.

Turbinator
04-08-2009, 2:16 PM
I was hoping we could line everyone up, have them take aim, and fire on 3. Love to see how far we could shower the pumpkin-guts.

Great idea. Have done something similar before. Works well, it's pretty interesting shooting amidst the thunderous blasts and booms of other firearms going off next to you.

Turby

jpnosworthy
04-08-2009, 2:35 PM
So bikini clad dancing girls and exploding pumpkins... who could possibly miss out on this.

sorensen440
04-08-2009, 9:22 PM
So bikini clad dancing girls and exploding pumpkins... who could possibly miss out on this.
There may be bikini clad dancing but I find the girls portion to be suspect....

tommygunr
04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I'll join you guys up there I've been there a few times . got a new steel target i like to try out . also have a small dressier which i will pick up afterwords ( anybody bringing Mr T that i could buy? )

nagorb
04-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I was there a few weeks ago and it was pretty clean so it should be an easy clean up.

I took my civic and it did fine, drive slow and be careful if it gets wet.

I was hoping to be able to make it for the clean up but I have a field trip near hollister and I don't think I'll be done in time to make it.

Ghostwheel
04-09-2009, 11:20 AM

Put a 1lb Tannerite target inside. That will give you some boost.

-Chris

Ghostwheel
04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
I'll join you guys up there I've been there a few times . got a new steel target i like to try out . also have a small dressier which i will pick up afterwords ( anybody bringing Mr T that i could buy? )

I am thinking of coming, and I have some Mr. T I am itching to try out. Where exactly is the Panoche range, and is it accessible by a standard car?

-Chris

BroncoBob
04-09-2009, 2:56 PM
I am thinking of coming, and I have some Mr. T I am itching to try out. Where exactly is the Panoche range, and is it accessible by a standard car?

-Chris

Here's a map link. It's about 1.5 hours south of Tracy down HWY 5. Out by Mercy Hot Springs.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106416094397737886907.00045b141f422cefa57dd&t=h&z=14

Turbinator
04-09-2009, 9:40 PM
I welcome all the newcomers but remember - this is a clean up trip, so bring appropriate gear (as stated in my earlier posts) and be ready to pitch in. Shooting only after we clean! Then we clean up our own mess before we leave!

Thanks!
Turby

Ghostwheel
04-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Please RSVP me. I'll be there.

Yes, I'm a newbie; but I understand the goals: Clean first, shoot later.

-Chris

sorensen440
04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I welcome all the newcomers but remember - this is a clean up trip, so bring appropriate gear (as stated in my earlier posts) and be ready to pitch in. Shooting only after we clean! Then we clean up our own mess before we leave!

Thanks!
Turby
Looking forward to it and I will bring a camera to prove to the lazy's that we cleaned :D

TheBundo
04-10-2009, 12:51 AM

-Chris

Yes, standard car works fine, but might be a little tough in spots for guys with lowered cars or Vettes

thedrickel
04-10-2009, 1:14 AM
I'm gonna try to make it in the afternoon . . . probably about 4pm.

Turbinator
04-10-2009, 6:58 AM
I'm gonna try to make it in the afternoon . . . probably about 4pm.

Come on down! But 4PM, I think a few of us might be packing up by then?

Turby

BroncoBob
04-10-2009, 8:57 AM
Man it rained like mad in Tracy yesterday afternoon, down spouts on the house had a hard time keeping up. Wonder how much rain fell over at Panoche? Wonder what muddy mess we can expect?

thedrickel
04-10-2009, 5:31 PM
Come on down! But 4PM, I think a few of us might be packing up by then?

Turby

That's OK, I'll probly stay til it gets dark.

tommygunr
04-10-2009, 6:40 PM

Thanks!
Turby

already got the rake in the truck :thumbsup:

Turbinator
04-10-2009, 6:57 PM
That's OK, I'll probly stay til it gets dark.

Night shooting, awesome!

Turby

sorensen440
04-10-2009, 7:37 PM
Do cellphones work there and if not does anyone else thats going have a Ham or Cb radio ?

acegunnr
04-10-2009, 7:43 PM
Cell phone works at the top of the ridges. I think Verizon is your best bet.

diginit
04-10-2009, 7:51 PM
Most of the rain seems to have stayed on the other side of I-5. Should be fine for cars. Even past the third gate. Just be aware of the washboard spots and don't get too sideways. I hope someone brings something to blow up with Mr T.
I have alittle I'm bringing along. Maybe we should just blow up the garbage....I'll also bring a small weber and a fire permit. You're all welcome to toss something on if you like. See Ya there!

sorensen440
04-10-2009, 9:29 PM
Cell phone works at the top of the ridges. I think Verizon is your best bet.
Thats why I went with verizon it seems to work in more places

Tillers_Rule
04-10-2009, 9:37 PM
This is out of my range, but be sure to take some before and after pics so we can all see what a stellar job you guys did:thumbsup:

nagorb
04-10-2009, 10:22 PM
I hope I can make it for the next one. I think its really cool of you guys to do this.

Have fun!

sorensen440
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
This is out of my range, but be sure to take some before and after pics so we can all see what a stellar job you guys did:thumbsup:
Camera and tripod are packed

See those of you who are going tomorrow !

TheBundo
04-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Man it rained like mad in Tracy yesterday afternoon, down spouts on the house had a hard time keeping up. Wonder how much rain fell over at Panoche? Wonder what muddy mess we can expect?

I don't think very much. Los Banos only had a few sprinkles, according to my wife (who looks great in a bikini)

TheBundo
04-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Do cellphones work there and if not does anyone else thats going have a Ham or Cb radio ?

No, unless maybe from a ridge. It's in the boonies

TheBundo
04-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Where I went last weekend, there really wasn't any garbage. But I didn't hit all the spots. I haven't even been to all the spots yet. Only been there twice. By the way, Mercy Hot Springs is just across the main road. You can bath nekkid there :)

diginit
04-11-2009, 5:21 AM
By the way, Mercy Hot Springs is just across the main road. You can bath nekkid there :)

Yea, But don't mention guns there. They are not allowed on the Hot Springs property.

jpnosworthy
04-11-2009, 6:36 AM
Where I went last weekend, there really wasn't any garbage. But I didn't hit all the spots. I haven't even been to all the spots yet. Only been there twice. By the way, Mercy Hot Springs is just across the main road. You can bath nekkid there :)

I'll request that everyone remain clothed today.. it's nothing about you guys.. really it's not.. I'm just shy.

Seesm
04-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Bathing NAKED? I AM IN!! JK

Standard
04-11-2009, 4:52 PM
I was there today to shoot, saw about 10 guys come in to clean up. Thanks a lot guys! I didn't know this was happening but I participated anyways :)
I was the guy there with the AR-15 (5.45x39) and the GSG-5.
Thanks for letting me blow up the tannerite.

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 7:46 PM
That was a blast pictures to follow shortly

Turbinator
04-11-2009, 7:49 PM
Sorensen440, you're fast. I probably won't process my pics until later tonight or tomorrow. Gotta get something to eat!!

Thanks to all who showed up - great job on the cleanup and great fun shooting all together. We can use this thread for the pics! Mine will be forthcoming!

Turby

Turbinator
04-11-2009, 7:50 PM
I was there today to shoot, saw about 10 guys come in to clean up. Thanks a lot guys! I didn't know this was happening but I participated anyways :)
I was the guy there with the AR-15 (5.45x39) and the GSG-5.
Thanks for letting me blow up the tannerite.

Bud, thanks for being a good sport and pitching in to help on the cleanup even though you weren't expecting to *work* today. :) Nice to meet you and glad you were able to help.

Turby

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 8:01 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2207.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2242.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2243.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2245.jpg

Can'thavenuthingood
04-11-2009, 8:20 PM
Holy crap, what was that?

Vick

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 8:22 PM
Holy crap, what was that?

Vick
Cleaning up panoche calguns style

with tannerite :D

I'll be adding more as they are uploaded
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2195.jpg

BroncoBob
04-11-2009, 8:46 PM
Chris excellent shots of todays clean up. Wish my pictures turned out that good. It was fun meeting all of you guys today.

SJgunguy24
04-11-2009, 8:56 PM
Dammit! Who all showed up? I didn't have a ride or I would've been there.........with my 20lbs of Mr T.......and garbage bags of course.

BroncoBob
04-11-2009, 8:57 PM
Ok here are my pics of the clean up and the crew. Oh yeah and the tannerite.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-001F-11.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-002F-11.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-003F-13.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-005F-9.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-006F-10.jpg

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 8:59 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2178.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2175.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2187.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2188.jpg

BroncoBob
04-11-2009, 9:00 PM
Part two of pictures

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-007F-8.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-009F-10.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/223Bob/MVC-010F-8.jpg

tommygunr
04-11-2009, 9:01 PM
:thumbsup:what a wonderful day for cleaning & shooting . thanks for helping on the dismantiling of that dressure . pics look great chris nice timing . the only bad thing with tannerite is now i'm looking for things around my house to blowup :)

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 9:01 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2192.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2211.jpg

BroncoBob
04-11-2009, 9:06 PM
:thumbsup:what a wonderful day for cleaning & shooting . thanks for helping on the dismantiling of that dressure . pics look great chris nice timing . the only bad thing with tannerite is now i'm looking for things around my house to blowup :)

That was the most fun of cleaning up I've had. Any shots of the Tannerite donuts? I'm having the same problem looking for things to blow up next time.

Ghostwheel
04-11-2009, 9:10 PM

I _really_ need to find some cheap lawn gnomes. I wonder how much tannerite I can put into a lawn gnome...

-Chris

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 9:11 PM
I _really_ need to find some cheap lawn gnomes. I wonder how much tannerite I can put into a lawn gnome...

-Chris
I dont know but I really really want to find out

BroncoBob
04-11-2009, 9:12 PM

-Chris

What about pink lawn flamingo's

Ghostwheel
04-11-2009, 9:40 PM
What about pink lawn flamingo's

Now that the last factory that made them has shut down, I believe they are an endangered species. :)

-Chris

Turbinator
04-11-2009, 9:41 PM
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/sorensen440/IMG_2195.jpg

Lordy lordy, look at the fragments flying through the air on this one! Amazing!

Turby

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 9:43 PM
Lordy lordy, look at the fragments flying through the air on this one! Amazing!

Turby
Yeah when I first uploaded it from the camera I thought that there must have been dirt on the lens LOL

Ghostwheel
04-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Now that the last factory that made them has shut down, I believe they are an endangered species. :)

-Chris

Honey Bears... Those I can make in quantity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nd54zFsWQE

sorensen440
04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
awesome vid

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Was great meeting everyone! I'm sure the rangers appreciated the clean up. I think Turby has pics of the hill o' garbage.

Hope to be at the next one. I took a bunch of pics... mostly of Mr. T before and after.

If anyone wants a series in hi-res PM me. The native file sizes are 3.5mb-4mb. I can also resize them down to about 256kb and even those are pretty big at about 1100 x 800.

You can see the rest of my pics here.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2354.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2355.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2365.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2368.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2373.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2374.jpg

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:45 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2411.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2413.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2429.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2430.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2441.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2442.jpg

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:46 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2465.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2466.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2483.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2484.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2530.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2531.jpg

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2580.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2581.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2582.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2603.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2604.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2630.jpg

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:47 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/jimil/090411CalgunCleanUp/IMG_2631.jpg

Jel
04-12-2009, 12:49 AM
My camera was doing about 4-6 frames/sec so there are a bunch more on these sequences.

Again, pleasure meeting and shooting with you all.

TheBundo
04-12-2009, 1:47 AM
Wow, wish I would have come. Stayed up too late go get up. Any visits from the rangers? And what are those big wood box-like structures out there? Something you brought, or are they always there? Maybe I haven't been to that area

nagorb
04-12-2009, 1:54 AM
Wow, wish I would have come. Stayed up too late go get up. Any visits from the rangers? And what are those big wood box-like structures out there? Something you brought, or are they always there? Maybe I haven't been to that area

I wasn't there but post #85 says it was a dresser.

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 4:53 AM
Any visits from the rangers?

No - not at all. In fact, I emailed them ahead of time to let them know that about a dozen of us would be there to clean up Panoche. I also told them that there was no need to send anyone out, we'd pile up the stuff ourselves and I would let them know when we're done so that they could haul it away.

In the past, the rangers have joined us for the cleanup day, but not this time.

My camera was doing about 4-6 frames/sec so there are a bunch more on these sequences.

Jel - great job on the photos, you have a nice lens there. I need an f/2.8 too :) Since you and Sorenson440 managed to get a bunch of good action shots, I'll post up some more of the non-action shots shortly.

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 5:08 AM
#1 - Caravan into Panoche
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8153b.jpg

#2 - Pile of cleanup trash (Calgunners faces hidden for privacy)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8189b.jpg

#3 - Cleaning the "canyon" at the first shooting spot (3rd gate)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8174b.jpg

#4 - Cleanup of first shooting spot (3rd gate) just about complete - notice the lack of trash now on the ground :)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8184b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 5:18 AM
First Tannerite test after we finished the cleanup and settled in -

#5 - Plexiglass + digital camera carefully positioned behind Plexiglass + Tannerite = setup
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8222b.jpg

#6 - Singe .308 round to the Tannerite = boom!
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8223b.jpg

#7 - The aftermath.. results - digital camera dusty, lens slightly tweaked (but fixed), blown out Plexiglass
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8237b.jpg

#8 - Checking out the scene of the blast
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8245b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 5:29 AM
#9 - No Panoche shoot is complete without... BBQ!
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8247b.jpg

#10 - So, I brought these gaudy "statue" decorations that needed a beatdown - took a few shots, and wow, this thing is hollow!
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8272b.jpg

#11 - So I suggested that we put some T inside..
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8273b.jpg

#12 - All set and taped up for good measure
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8278b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 5:31 AM
#13 - .308 round delivery service - BOOM (Sorenson440 also got a pic of this previously posted)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8286b.jpg

#14 - Dust galore
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8287b.jpg

#15 - Dust settling
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8296b.jpg

#16 - The aftermath - where's my decoration!? :)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8302b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 5:38 AM
#17 - The delivery mechanism of choice (bud - PM me your email address so I can send you these photos)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8391b.jpg

#18 - Looking back at the firing line... during a ceasefire of course :)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8279b.jpg

#19 - We had the newbie hold the camera for this photo
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8689b.jpg

#20 - Couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of guys!
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8686b.jpg

More to come!

Turby

BroncoBob
04-12-2009, 9:06 AM
What a "Dirty Dozen" :rofl2:

missiondude
04-12-2009, 3:50 PM
Totally cool of you guys to do a public shooting area clean-up.:thumbsup: Did you clean first, then shoot, then clean again?

Pics were awesome. Nice to see some Heckler and Kecklers on the bench among the other EBR's.

Would love to see the Travelocity gnome get his rear blown to bits... Make your own Calguns Travelocity commercial.

BroncoBob
04-12-2009, 7:12 PM
Clean, shoot, clean up our mess,

acegunnr
04-12-2009, 7:34 PM
You couldn't ask for more perfect weather! Thanks for doing this guys!

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:05 PM
#21 - Walther P99 9mm in action
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8406b.jpg

#22 - Set up for another Tannerite shot
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8426b.jpg

#23- Here's the target
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8453b.jpg

#24 - Here's the result
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8454b.jpg

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:18 PM
#25 - Tannerite + ammo can = madness
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8467b.jpg

#26 - Placement (thanks for being such a good sport in putting this out there!)
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8473b.jpg

#27 - Taking cover in a Panoche foxhole
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8478b.jpg

#28 - Taking aim...
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8481b.jpg

Turby

trashman
04-12-2009, 8:25 PM
Looks like a whole lotta fun, guys --- sorry I couldn't be there as I had family obligations.

Thanks to the whole crew for the clean-up -- we gotta keep Panoche a Gunny's Paradise.

--Neill

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:26 PM
#29 - Here's the target, pre-shot
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8504b.jpg

#30 - BOOM!
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8505b.jpg

#31 - Dust
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8506b.jpg

#32 - Dust
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8507b.jpg

Turby

Ghostwheel
04-12-2009, 8:31 PM
Next time I remember to bring my hat. I'm feeling a little crispy today.

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:35 PM
#33 - Dust finally settling down
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8517b.jpg

#34 - This is the ammo can's lid - the ammo can was situated upside down
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8521b.jpg

#35 - Scene of the blast site - notice the weeds are cleared out where the Tannerite went off
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8526b.jpg

#36 - Leftover fragments - we picked up as many as we could
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8530b.jpg

Turby

thedrickel
04-12-2009, 8:36 PM
I didnt make it :(

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:37 PM
Next time I remember to bring my hat. I'm feeling a little crispy today.

I brought sunscreen, but I guess only a couple people ended up using it, myself included. I'm fine :)

Turby

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:49 PM
#37 - Oh yeah... Tannerite + what you see. By the way - that IS a hot dog holding the donuts together. :D
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8538b.jpg

#38 - Instant mayhem
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8542b.jpg

#39 - Inspecting the scene
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8552b.jpg

#40 - Two Remington 700 5R's :D
http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_8679b.jpg

Turby

BroncoBob
04-12-2009, 8:50 PM
I used some sunscreen, but not enough as I'm a little toasted.

Turbinator
04-12-2009, 8:52 PM
Ok guys, I've numbered my pics so that you can say "Oh yeah, in Turby's pic # xyz, blah blah and blah." I saw pic #'s as a requirement on another forum, and thought I should bring that practice here, at least informally, for posts with a lot of pictures. Better than quoting said picture millions of times.

Turby

BroncoBob
04-12-2009, 8:59 PM
Turby, great shot of the tannerite donuts, I was afraid no one caught it

jpnosworthy
04-13-2009, 8:57 AM

Yea no kidding.. I didn't see all of the donut mess in the air at the time.

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 9:22 AM

I have this problem where I end up shooting more pictures with the camera, than I do shooting targets with my guns. :) I can't pass up an opportunity to document an event - a personal passion of mine, I guess.

Good news - the BLM rangers will pick up the trash today. I've asked them to let me know if the stuff managed to stay in one pile or not. I'll let you guys know if there were any problems with our cleanup pileup method.

Turby

jpnosworthy
04-13-2009, 9:26 AM
I have this problem where I end up shooting more pictures with the camera, than I do shooting targets with my guns. :)

You just need one of these: http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/31/police-testing-gun-c.html

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 9:37 AM
You just need one of these: http://www.boingboing.net/2007/10/31/police-testing-gun-c.html

That'll work well for those group shots :)

Turby

sorensen440
04-13-2009, 9:40 AM
I have this problem where I end up shooting more pictures with the camera, than I do shooting targets with my guns. :) I can't pass up an opportunity to document an event - a personal passion of mine, I guess.

Good news - the BLM rangers will pick up the trash today. I've asked them to let me know if the stuff managed to stay in one pile or not. I'll let you guys know if there were any problems with our cleanup pileup method.

Turby
It was still in tact when I left about an hour after you did
I stopped and spoke with the guys that were shooting and made sure they knew they needed to clean up after themselves

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 9:48 AM
It was still in tact when I left about an hour after you did
I stopped and spoke with the guys that were shooting and made sure they knew they needed to clean up after themselves

Thanks for doing that with the trash - and were the guys shooting there Calgunners too? I saw them on the way out but I didn't stop to approach them.

Thanks also for approaching those other yahoo's who strayed off the road to shoot. Helps that we police the area ourselves to ensure that we all can continue to enjoy this public land.

Process more of your pics?

Turby

jpnosworthy
04-13-2009, 9:54 AM
That'll work well for those group shots :)

Turby

Finger off the trigger!!

sorensen440
04-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks for doing that with the trash - and were the guys shooting there Calgunners too? I saw them on the way out but I didn't stop to approach them.

Thanks also for approaching those other yahoo's who strayed off the road to shoot. Helps that we police the area ourselves to ensure that we all can continue to enjoy this public land.

Process more of your pics?

Turby
They were not calgunners and seemed to have no idea when I told them that they needed to clean up the brass from there shooting

I haven't had a chance yet to sort through more of the pics but will tonight
I probably only have a half a dozen more of any worth

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 10:21 AM
They were not calgunners and seemed to have no idea when I told them that they needed to clean up the brass from there shooting

UGH! It's exactly people like that who screw it up for all of us! Let's toss THEM into the canyon.. :D

Turby

BroncoBob
04-13-2009, 12:04 PM
UGH! It's exactly people like that who screw it up for all of us! Let's toss THEM into the canyon.. :D

Turby

Did you happen to see the TV set they had between their upright targets? Hope they cleaned that up.

BroncoBob
04-13-2009, 12:07 PM
My brother in law is kicking himself about turning down my offer to go. He was going to go house hunting and his realitor took the weekend off due to Easter. Wait till he see's all the pics we have posted.......

jpnosworthy
04-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Bah.. we'll just have to clean them up later too.

-J

BroncoBob
04-13-2009, 12:13 PM

-J

Good idea, 3 weeks?

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Did you happen to see the TV set they had between their upright targets? Hope they cleaned that up.

I didn't see the TV set but as we all know, that kind of stuff is a definite no-go.

Assuming they stumble on their own down the hill and can't make it back up - biodegradeable.. :43: :thumbsup:

Turby

Jel
04-13-2009, 1:47 PM

I haven't had a chance yet to sort through more of the pics but will tonight
I probably only have a half a dozen more of any worth

Hopefully you explained that the pile of garbage sitting there was what we cleaned up and had made special arrangements with the rangers to leave it there. That cleaning up their brass and garbage, means hauling it out and not leaving it at the top of the little plateau. :thumbsup:

Good on you for stopping by and telling them. We stopped there on the way out to dump the garbage we had but for some reason I didn't even think to let them know.

I'm gonna have to bring longer glass next time so I can get in close for those Mr. T shots.

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 3:25 PM
I'm gonna have to bring longer glass next time so I can get in close for those Mr. T shots.

You guys had a nice little setup going with that covered chair and the table that looked like it was straight out of the SHOT Show. I'll have to spend more time down on your end next time socializing. :)

Turby

BroncoBob
04-13-2009, 3:32 PM
You guys had a nice little setup going with that covered chair and the table that looked like it was straight out of the SHOT Show. I'll have to spend more time down on your end next time socializing. :)

Turby

Got to find that chair in camo, now that would be totally off the hook. Yeah Turby you're more then welcomed down on our end..... Or maybe next time we should spend more time at your end.

knucklehead 61
04-13-2009, 3:57 PM
looks like i missed out on some serious fun!
we bailed out in our motorhome for 4 days instead...

Darklyte27
04-13-2009, 6:30 PM
Very nice!! I think Ill have to goto one of these shoots next time for range more than 100 yrds!

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Very nice!! I think Ill have to goto one of these shoots next time for range more than 100 yrds!

Yeah, it was awesome. Broncobob brought along his laser rangefinder, you could easily go beyond 100 yards where we set up - I think it was over 200 yards to the opposite hill.

Turby

tommygunr
04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, it was awesome. Broncobob brought along his laser rangefinder, you could easily go beyond 100 yards where we set up - I think it was over 200 yards to the opposite hill.

Turby

The steel targets I set up were about 280yds out . You could go about another 100yds out but gotta bring bigger targets for that . the 8" steel was looking small at that range even with a 10-40 scope .

nagorb
04-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Any word on when it will be closed for fire season? Is shooting allowed during fire season?

Turbinator
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Any word on when it will be closed for fire season? Is shooting allowed during fire season?

The gate typically closes on or around April 15th or 16th. The only shooting spot available at that point is the first spot, or the "canyon" as I like to call it. This is the area that typically gets trashed the most, as people drive to Panoche but are too lazy to go further inside or arrive when the gate is locked, and therefore have to use this spot instead.

The steel targets I set up were about 280yds out . You could go about another 100yds out but gotta bring bigger targets for that . the 8" steel was looking small at that range even with a 10-40 scope.

So how'd you do at 280 yards?

Update for everyone - the BLM rangers picked up most of the trash today. It was still piled up neatly. They'll go back for the rest tomorrow.

They also have a sign-in sheet they want us to fill out to show how many people participated - this also helps show the BLM that there is public interest in taking care of our lands. Once I get the form, I'll have to coordinate getting info from everyone to fill it out. I've filled these out before, and no black helicopters have landed in my yard.. yet.

Turby

tommygunr
04-13-2009, 11:25 PM
So how'd you do at 280 yards?

Turby

needless to say i need a more accurate rifle 3 hits out of about 20 with the 30-06 . 1 lucky hit with a 22 buckmart pistol. broncobob's friend got 2 hits with iron sights :thumbsup:

BroncoBob
04-14-2009, 5:25 AM
needless to say i need a more accurate rifle 3 hits out of about 20 with the 30-06 . 1 lucky hit with a 22 buckmart pistol. broncobob's friend got 2 hits with iron sights :thumbsup:

Yeah, shooting against Mike isn't much fun at times. He is very good about giving tips and helping with getting on target. Really nice to have a friend that is willing to share their knowledge. I find it a real challenge and enjoyable when we go shooting.

Turbinator
04-14-2009, 1:51 PM

I didn't pay attention - how is your 30-06 configured? Optics / barrel setup / stock / etc?

Turby

tommygunr
04-14-2009, 8:37 PM
set up is a stock savage 111 . scope is a XD optics with "Y" rectical
( yea it's china made but holds its zero )set up for 300yds. winchester bipod . It's nothing specail but it goes boom everytime .:)

Turbinator
04-14-2009, 8:49 PM
set up is a stock savage 111 . scope is a XD optics with "Y" rectical
( yea it's china made but holds its zero )set up for 300yds. winchester bipod . It's nothing specail but it goes boom everytime .:)

Wow, the scope is mounted pretty high off the stock comb. Do you use a cheek rest? Or what do you do about that - nothing? Looks like you're using "high" rings :)

Turby

tommygunr
04-14-2009, 9:19 PM
Wow, the scope is mounted pretty high off the stock comb. Do you use a cheek rest? Or what do you do about that - nothing? Looks like you're using "high" rings :)

Turby

I do nothing it actually lines up good with my big head . plus low rings won't work scope is 50mm it'll hit the barrel . thought about getting a different stock but haven't found anything i liked yet thats within my price range . also thought about a cheek riser probably just get a slip on style for now.

Jel
04-15-2009, 5:29 PM

Turby

Hehe....that was our "light" setup since I knew we wouldn't be shooting all day. Next time, I'm sure we'll have more time to socialize and talk more about shooting...guns and cameras. :thumbsup:

diginit
06-11-2009, 1:16 PM
Finally made it back online. I got a few movies of the shoot, but only library access at the moment. So I can't upload.
Had a great time and I'm glad everyone else did too. looking forward to the next CG shoot. BTW, We need another ammo can to blow up.....

Ghostwheel
06-11-2009, 3:12 PM
Finally made it back online. I got a few movies of the shoot, but only library access at the moment. So I can't upload.
Had a great time and I'm glad everyone else did too. looking forward to the next CG shoot. BTW, We need another ammo can to blow up.....

I'm thinking of going back out to Panoche on the 27th of this month. I have some more tannerite and some new ammo I want to try out. :)

-Chris

Turbinator
06-11-2009, 4:37 PM
Suggest we possibly skip the ammo can thing next time. Frankly, that thing looked a bit dangerous. I won't stop you though, it's up to you.

Turby

Ghostwheel
06-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Suggest we possibly skip the ammo can thing next time. Frankly, that thing looked a bit dangerous. I won't stop you though, it's up to you.

Garden gnomes... :)

I found some relatively inexpensive molds on eBay, and with a little plaster and some water colors it be easy to make an amusing tannerite shooting gallery.

-Chris

SJgunguy24
06-11-2009, 11:06 PM

Turby

Keep it way out (100+yards) it'll be safe. Mr. Smiley (.30 cal ammo can with 8 lbs of Mr T) was at least 100 yards away and was down hill with a berm between us.

SVT_Fox
06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
post pics on the OP, so we font have to browse 16 pages to find them

SHHEEESSSHhhh

BroncoBob
06-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Garden gnomes... :)

I found some relatively inexpensive molds on eBay, and with a little plaster and some water colors it be easy to make an amusing tannerite shooting gallery.

-Chris

When one of the garden gnomes blew last time a piece of it almost hit a couple of us back at the firing line and hit JEL's bed cover on his pick up. I believe he got a pic of it.

zombified
06-12-2009, 1:04 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Carol. I'm James's (jpnosworthy) wife. I wanted to let you know that he passed away on Memorial Day weekend. There was a fire in the BBQ pit in our backyard and he died of burn-related injuries. He'd attempted to use gunpowder to light a fire so that he and a friend could smoke cigars, and the fire came up and outward and caused the container of gunpowder he'd been holding to explode.

I know how much fun he had on this trip with you all, and I wish he'd had a chance to go again.

Take care.

Ron-Solo
06-12-2009, 8:40 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Carol. I'm James's (jpnosworthy) wife. I wanted to let you know that he passed away on Memorial Day weekend. There was a fire in the BBQ pit in our backyard and he died of burn-related injuries. He'd attempted to use gunpowder to light a fire so that he and a friend could smoke cigars, and the fire came up and outward and caused the container of gunpowder he'd been holding to explode.

I know how much fun he had on this trip with you all, and I wish he'd had a chance to go again.

Take care.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

BroncoBob
06-13-2009, 7:45 PM
Hi guys,

Take care.

OMG! Carol I'm so sorry for your loss. Sorrenson 440 and I met up with your husband for the drive down to Panoche. He was a real nice guy.

Turbinator
06-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Carol, first - thank you for coming on board to share the news, however painful, with us. It make me happy knowing that he shared with you about how much he enjoyed Calguns, and the Panoche trip.

I was hoping that the news you bring wasn't so, but a quick search reveals:

Tracy man dies of gunpowder burns
By Mike MartineZ
STAFF WRITER
Posted: 05/27/2009 06:04:18 PM PDT

TRACY A Tracy man died Sunday from injuries he suffered when gunpowder he was burning exploded onto him, according to Tracy police.

The man was identified by the San Joaquin County Coroner's Office as James Nosworthy, 31.

Around 5:45 p.m. Sunday, Nosworthy's wife told a police dispatcher her husband was ''fully engulfed in flames'' from the barbecue pit. About a minute later, a second person reported there were two people with burn injuries on the 100 block of Arezzo Way, according to police logs.

While being questioned, Nosworthy's wife was too upset to speak, so Nosworthy took the phone and told dispatchers he burned himself badly by burning gunpowder and it exploded, according to the logs.

Tracy Police Sgt. Tony Sheneman said Nosworthy suffered severe burns to his head and torso.

He was taken to Sutter Tracy Community Hospital where he died two hours later.

The injuries of a second burn victim were treated on the scene.

Mike Martinez

My heartfelt condolences go out to you, and may you find peace and a way to move forward, when you are ready, in this difficult time. He will be missed by all of us here at Calguns.

Turby

Z ME FLY
06-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Carol, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I personally didn't know him and never met him but he seemed like a great guy. I mean come on, he was smoking a cigar by the bbq trying to have a good time(not trying to be funny, this sounded like my type of guy). I wish I went to the meet before so I could have met him. It's sad when we lose a good guy, a gun lover, and a calgunner.

goober
06-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi guys,

My name is Carol. I'm James's (jpnosworthy) wife. ...

Take care.

wow. Carol, my condolences for your loss.
thank you for bringing this news, however sad, to us. it is always terrible to know that one of us has met with tragedy, but it is better to know than not to.
and while it may have been hard to share this with us, i'd bet James would have approved.
Stay strong and remember there are folks here that care.

thedrickel
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
He's still logged into #calguns as 'murdermbl' . . . which is how I knew him. Can't believe it took this long to find out. Just . . . wow.

Futurecollector
06-14-2009, 1:58 AM
Hi guys,

Take care.

Carol, I am so sorry for your loss, My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family in this hard time,

Stormfeather
06-14-2009, 8:40 AM
Carol, I'm so sorry for your loss, please let us know if there is anything we can do. A member of Calguns, James is a member of our family, Ive said this time over again and again. If there is anything you need help with, Im sure there are plenty of folks here who will be more than willing to help you out.
RIP James, my condolences to the family and my prayers go out to you.

Jel
06-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Hello Carol,

I just found out about your husband, James! I'm so sorry for your loss. I met him at Panoche for the clean up organized by Turby. My condolences go out to your and your family.

diginit
06-16-2009, 6:06 PM
Very sorry to hear that James passed on. Ya just gotta figure that God had other plans for his soul. J.

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 7:07 AM
I think in memory of James the next time we go to Panoche we fill pinatas full of tannerite. Easy clean up and no sharp shards to injure anyone.

Ghostwheel
06-18-2009, 7:47 AM
I think in memory of James the next time we go to Panoche we fill pinatas full of tannerite. Easy clean up and no sharp shards to injure anyone.

I'm headed to Panoche on the 27th. You bring the pinatas and I'll bring the tannerite.

-Chris

Ghostwheel
06-18-2009, 7:51 AM
When one of the garden gnomes blew last time a piece of it almost hit a couple of us back at the firing line and hit JEL's bed cover on his pick up. I believe he got a pic of it.

That's part of the reason I want to make my own from a mold. Rather than using kiln baked ceramic, I can make them out of a thin layer of plaster. Unlike a gnome sold for an actual garden these don't have to stand up to weather and time; they just have to survive the drive to the range. :)

-Chris

sorensen440
06-18-2009, 7:56 AM
I'm headed to Panoche on the 27th. You bring the pinatas and I'll bring the tannerite.

-Chris
I wish I could make that but I have the Cancer relay that weekend

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 9:53 AM

-Chris

Hey, let me see if I can clear some calendar issues.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 2:40 PM

-Chris

I think my friend and I are going up the same day MAYBE. I will let you know Ghostwheel. It will be my first time at BLM land and first time shooting my mosin m38! :)

If I go, I will stop by and pick up some pinatas. I have some old metal outdoor speakers I was planning on hanging and shooting too.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 2:41 PM
2nd thought even if my friend doesn't go, I might meet you up there since I won't be there alone. Let me know what time you plan on being out there.

Thanks!

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 3:02 PM
2nd thought even if my friend doesn't go, I might meet you up there since I won't be there alone. Let me know what time you plan on being out there.

Thanks!

Most times we get out there just around 9 AM or so. If it's hot make sure to bring a hat, sunscreen and water. There is no shade and all items brought in must be hauled out. Bring a rake and trash bags if you make a mess. Oh yeah no services and most times cell phones are useless.

Turbinator
06-18-2009, 5:20 PM

-Chris

I just have to ask, did you fix the front bumper on your Honda after that pothole? :)

Turby

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 5:29 PM
I just have to ask, did you fix the front bumper on your Honda after that pothole? :)

Turby

Turby you going to make it?

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 5:30 PM
You going to be there turby? It's like a calguns meet! haha

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 5:39 PM

We need him to hand out offical calguns name tags.....:yes:

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 5:43 PM
Haha damn... going next weekend sounds good. I just need a car to haul my crap and something that can make it up there. I think my little sports car might have problems since it is lowered. I want to shoot my mosin!! It's just sitting here... taunting me...

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 5:48 PM
What kind of stands do people use? I was thinking about getting two wooden poles and putting them in the ground. To hang the metal speakers I have, I was thinking about putting another piece of wood over the two poles and drill holes so I can use wire to tie them up.

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 6:16 PM
What kind of stands do people use? I was thinking about getting two wooden poles and putting them in the ground. To hang the metal speakers I have, I was thinking about putting another piece of wood over the two poles and drill holes so I can use wire to tie them up.

Hey if you want to hook up since you have to come out my way PM me. I use those cheap garden poles that you can buy at wallyworld in the garden dept. They are metal tube on the inside and green plastic on the outside. They run a couple bucks each so you're not out a lot of money if they take a beating. Get some nylon zip ties as they come in handy too.

Brought one of my mosins last time and it was a kick to shoot that beast.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 6:57 PM
Hey if you want to hook up since you have to come out my way PM me. I use those cheap garden poles that you can buy at wallyworld in the garden dept. They are metal tube on the inside and green plastic on the outside. They run a couple bucks each so you're not out a lot of money if they take a beating. Get some nylon zip ties as they come in handy too.

Brought one of my mosins last time and it was a kick to shoot that beast.

Thanks, I will keep you in the loop! I'm thinking I might ask my dad to borrow his station wagon.

Z ME FLY
06-18-2009, 7:00 PM
Anyone know where I can pick up some cheap pinatas? I would want to pick up a couple so we can all shoot one. If someone wants to fill the metal speaker with some tannerite then that's fine also. I'm guessing you would just need to drill a hole or maybe use one of the ones that we are going to shoot up. We just need to make sure we are far enough away.

BroncoBob
06-18-2009, 7:25 PM
What about any little local hispanic market in your area?

Ghostwheel
06-18-2009, 9:38 PM

I didn't have to, as the front bumper has stayed attached since I snapped the clips back in. I got lucky. :)

-Chris

Ghostwheel
06-18-2009, 9:40 PM
Haha damn... going next weekend sounds good. I just need a car to haul my crap and something that can make it up there. I think my little sports car might have problems since it is lowered. I want to shoot my mosin!! It's just sitting here... taunting me...

Yes, a lowered car would be a problem. My old RX-8 would have been destroyed. As it was, on the last trip out I bottomed out my wife's Civic on a pothole and the front bumper cover popped free of the mounting clips.

-Chris

Ghostwheel
06-18-2009, 9:42 PM

I plan on getting out there at 12:30pm-1pm ish. I am planning on stopping at the Bass Pro in Manteca on the way down to see if they have any .308 on the shelf.

-Chris

Turbinator
06-18-2009, 10:05 PM

Sorry, not this time! Probably will put together a fall trip later this year. You guys go enjoy!

Turby

domokun
06-19-2009, 12:31 AM
I plan on getting out there at 12:30pm-1pm ish. I am planning on stopping at the Bass Pro in Manteca on the way down to see if they have any .308 on the shelf.

-Chris

I was there a couple weeks ago and they only had the lead-free 308 on the shelves...

Ghostwheel
06-19-2009, 6:57 AM
I was there a couple weeks ago and they only had the lead-free 308 on the shelves...

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll give them a call before I go 45 minutes out of my way.

-Chris

BroncoBob
06-19-2009, 3:52 PM
I didn't have to, as the front bumper has stayed attached since I snapped the clips back in. I got lucky. :)

-Chris

Was the pot hole on the road up to the top or going past the second gate?

BroncoBob
06-19-2009, 3:53 PM
Sorry, not this time! Probably will put together a fall trip later this year. You guys go enjoy!

Turby

OK I guess I'll bring the offical calgun name tags then.......

Ghostwheel
06-19-2009, 5:06 PM
Was the pot hole on the road up to the top or going past the second gate?

The one that got me was pulling into the parking area for the range where we did the cleanup.

-Chris

BroncoBob
06-19-2009, 7:55 PM
The one that got me was pulling into the parking area for the range where we did the cleanup.

-Chris

Got it. Besure to stay clear on the 27th.

tommygunr
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
That's part of the reason I want to make my own from a mold. Rather than using kiln baked ceramic, I can make them out of a thin layer of plaster. Unlike a gnome sold for an actual garden these don't have to stand up to weather and time; they just have to survive the drive to the range. :)

-Chris

The simple way is just put or tape the tannerite in front on the outside of the object our're blowing up . Blast should push everything away from the shooter that way you won't shrapnell your self .

Z ME FLY
06-20-2009, 7:51 AM
So far its

BroncoBob
Ghostwheel
ME! +1

I'm going to go wandering around for some cheap pinatas. How cheap is cheap? Haha and what size should I get?

Ghostwheel
06-20-2009, 8:09 AM
So far its

BroncoBob
Ghostwheel
ME! +1

I'm going to go wandering around for some cheap pinatas. How cheap is cheap? Haha and what size should I get?

Since we are talking about a new gathering, I've created a new thread in the Shoots and Meets forum: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=2660666

-Chris

UncleBuck
06-21-2009, 10:42 PM
There is a chance I may come and may bring a friend also. I will check in later in the week to confirm.

diginit
07-06-2009, 5:08 PM
I finally got a chance to post pics and cellphone movies of this shoot.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/Panoche%20Cleanup%202009/
It's about time we did it again.

Turbinator
07-06-2009, 5:29 PM
I finally got a chance to post pics and cellphone movies of this shoot.
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj107/diginit/Panoche%20Cleanup%202009/
It's about time we did it again.

Man, that's *sooo* April 2009. :D

Just kidding. Thanks for posting and sharing.

I'm thinking of a Fall 2009 Panoche Cleanup trip - again, organized and ok'ed by the rangers. Look for another thread by me later this year... :)

Turby

nagorb
07-06-2009, 7:38 PM

I'm thinking of a Fall 2009 Panoche Cleanup trip - again, organized and ok'ed by the rangers. Look for another thread by me later this year... :)

Turby

I'm in!

BroncoBob
07-07-2009, 6:18 AM
Excellent!

diginit
07-07-2009, 2:22 PM
10-4

cudabuyer
07-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Hey me and Taz went up there last Tuesday and the 3rd gate was locked...we had a nice shoot there anyway and showed the little ones a few things....my 11 year old shot a Garand and now he's hooked...afterward we did a partial range cleanup and packed it out...we met MK3mitch out there....he's one very cool Calguns local guy!

HOT and WINDY in the afternoon...what else is new...signed in at the main gate book..

Turbinator
07-10-2009, 4:56 PM
HOT and WINDY in the afternoon...what else is new...signed in at the main gate book..

Thanks for the update and thanks for doing a little bit of the cleanup. How bad was it?

Turby

BroncoBob
07-10-2009, 8:35 PM

Turby

Hey Turby, put me on the list for the clean up.

Turbinator
07-10-2009, 8:37 PM
Hey Turby, put me on the list for the clean up.

Hey, of course! You're a *regular*! :D

Turby

Acorn556
07-23-2009, 9:12 PM
I'll assume the August 1 shoot is going to be a cleanup as well.

Acorn556
08-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Does anyone have a connection with the media for this? We should really push to get Calguns advertised locally (see SF Bay Area) as a positive attitude and a group who cares about maintaining our shooting areas. Channel 2, 5,4, anything like that. Someone HAS to know a person who works there and needs to fill a 3 minute segment on a saturday.

Blue
08-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Does anyone have a connection with the media for this? We should really push to get Calguns advertised locally (see SF Bay Area) as a positive attitude and a group who cares about maintaining our shooting areas. Channel 2, 5,4, anything like that. Someone HAS to know a person who works there and needs to fill a 3 minute segment on a saturday.

I'm sure they'll gripe about us leaving lead in the hillside and condors come to eat it or something like that. They're one sided, they only care about one kind of gun user.

nagorb
08-28-2009, 11:38 PM
People have talked about this before and usually it comes down to what blue said, they will probably make us look bad.

Acorn556
08-29-2009, 8:50 AM
That's unfortunate. Thought it might bring some positive support to the effort and show people actually CARE about shooting areas. Maybe we could just bribe the BLM people with lollipops and cold water. That usually works.

nagorb
08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
If the BLM people know that shooters do these things then they would be much less likely to ban shooting. The people at the hollister office are actually really cool about target shooting.

BroncoBob
08-30-2009, 3:59 AM
The anti's don't understand and would try to turn a good deed into something looking bad. Crap next thing you know it's declared a EPA hazardous waste site.

nagorb
08-30-2009, 2:09 PM
yeah thats why its best to only let the rangers know.

Turbinator
08-30-2009, 8:48 PM
I am thinking of putting together another big cleanup trip set for mid October, when the gates reopen for the season.

I will be coordinating this with the park rangers, and will be building a list of RSVP's when I start off a new thread. The rangers actually do want to get a list of participants - they use this list to show / demonstrate public interest in keeping BLM lands alive. I will probably prepare sign-in sheets for the Oct trip.

No need to RSVP here yet, I will start a new thread about this when it's time.

I'm not so sure about alerting local media.. the moment some anti's find out there's still legal shooting going on, they might try hard to shut it down.

Turby

domokun
08-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm not so sure about alerting local media.. the moment some anti's find out there's still legal shooting going on, they might try hard to shut it down.

Turby

Sometimes no news is good news. I'm with Turby with on this one. Keep it quiet and no trouble will result from it. We already lack great BLM shooting spots in the SF Bay Area and don't need the gun grabbers angling to get this one shutdown if they catch wind of it.

Acorn556
08-31-2009, 5:49 AM
Sucks that there are people like that in the world. Figured some local media attention might show public interest in using BLM land with all of the budget cuts going on. Maybe the rangers like the Calgunners more...any way to get them a sticker for the work truck :)

Turbinator
08-31-2009, 2:48 PM
Sucks that there are people like that in the world. Figured some local media attention might show public interest in using BLM land with all of the budget cuts going on. Maybe the rangers like the Calgunners more...any way to get them a sticker for the work truck :)

Maybe, we could bring stickers next time and ask if we could apply them to the BLM's trucks.

Turby

BroncoBob
08-31-2009, 3:37 PM
Maybe, we could bring stickers next time and ask if we could apply them to the BLM's trucks.

Turby

I'm sure there is some type of regulation that would prevent them from having calgun stickers or any stickers on their vehicles.

Turbinator
08-31-2009, 4:19 PM
I'm sure there is some type of regulation that would prevent them from having calgun stickers or any stickers on their vehicles.

I wonder if the regulation applies if the stickers are put on there without their knowledge. :D hah hah

Ok, nevermind.

Turby