PDA

View Full Version : What to do about guns if stationed abroad?

smokingloon
03-22-2009, 4:55 PM
I know that you can have your personal weapons secured at the armory if you are in the conus. But what happens if you are stationed non-conus? Lets say I had orders for Camp Hanson in Oki, would I still be able to bring my personal firearms with me and secure it in the armory?

The Soup Nazi
03-22-2009, 4:57 PM
Nope. Absolutely no firearms at Okinawa, got my orders to MCAS Futenma, was part of the overseas check out brief list.

smokingloon
03-22-2009, 5:19 PM
If you go overseas, is it still a 2 year tour?

The Soup Nazi
03-22-2009, 5:26 PM
Should be, pending on if you request a tour extension or not.

Trapper
03-22-2009, 6:59 PM
I've always left mine in a safe at a friend or family member's house. Most storage units will allow firearms to be stored, but I'd be sure to pay in advance and pack several pounds of dessicant in the safe.

plm61
03-22-2009, 7:47 PM
I know that you can have your personal weapons secured at the armory if you are in the conus. But what happens if you are stationed non-conus? Lets say I had orders for Camp Hanson in Oki, would I still be able to bring my personal firearms with me and secure it in the armory?

While you have no reason whatsoever to trust me, I'd be happy to store some guns for a service member deploying overseas - at least to the extent I have safe space for them. I'm certain I could dig up at least three other patriotic friends with safes who would likewise be willing to help someone out.

Perhaps one of the lawyers on CGN could come up with a binding document that would acknowledge receipt of guns by serial number and agree to return them to the owner (or legal representative) upon demand.

Matt C
03-22-2009, 7:52 PM
You could leave em with me.

smokingloon
03-22-2009, 8:48 PM
I got out of the Marines in 2006 and I was thinking I might go back in.
I was stationed at Pendleton for most of my enlistment and if I did choose to go back, I would like to actually see the world this time. Hence the reason for the question.

Another thing I am worried about is if I will be able to get base housing or get BAH. I know the Marines aren't likely to give me BAH unless I am married. However, I have a lot of personal items that can not be stored in the barracks. I know the Navy is pretty easy going with giving BAH but I was thinking about the Army National Guard as they currently have sign-on bonuses.

MFortie
03-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Ditto on the offer to store firearms for a deployed serviceman (or woman, to be PC). I can even offer a Marine reference from Pendleton.

And I agree on coming up with some type of legal document -- one scenario I could see (and with hope never will) is someone doesn't return from their deployment; what happens then?