PDA

View Full Version : Reserve LEO Question

escon1
03-17-2009, 7:24 PM
I have been considering applying for a reserve LEO position. What's holding me back is that I had a 602, which I pleaded nolo and was subsequently sealed 23 years ago after I met the terms of my probation. The 602 was the result of being drunk and then doing something stupid, which I still regret to this day. In addition, I have been sober since 2001 and this is documented with the FAA as I am a pilot as well. In addition during my college days, I also participated in some Health and Safety Code no no's, but haven't done any drugs since 1985.

I have a a BA in Criminal Justice and have held a management position for the last eleven years. I know they go back and talk to everyone on the BI and my ex-wife who I was married to during the above timed period would tell the the interviewer of my drug use. Before I go through the dog and pony show of applying, could the LEO's chime in here to let me know if I should just forget about it.

Thanks in advance.

SJgunguy24
03-17-2009, 7:49 PM
I thought about doing the same thing. I was told by a high ranking friend "890 hours to play, or 1100 hours to get paid to play"

It's very noble to want to help but as a reserve you don't have all the benefits that a fully sworn officer has.

I had a job lined up with a transfer into a LEO after a couple of years, but I effed that up.

I hope nothing but the best for you, but if you have a family and you get hurt.....you may be on your own.

Eroland7
03-17-2009, 8:05 PM
I would definately apply if it is truely what you want to do. Just be 100% honest with your background investigator, and you should be fine. Every agency has different policies on past drug use, but you say over 20 years, so you should be fine. Some agencies will automatically disqualify you if you had taken LSD or any other hallucinogens, because they can have life long effects. Everybody has people (enimies, ex's, co-worker's) thats say bad things about them to a background investigator, so dont worry about that, The investigator's expect that. I would apply, and when you get to back grounds just be 100% honest and put EVERYTHING out on the table right in the beginning. Dont let your Background investigator find something out that you omitted. Just be completely honest,a nd you should be fine. I hope I helped. Leet me know if you have any other questions via PM.

Quiet
03-17-2009, 8:17 PM
As long as you have good credit, haven't done anything bad in over 10-15 years, most agencies will give you a chance.

Don't lie or omit anything, if the background investigator finds out, expect to be DQ'd.

eta34
03-18-2009, 7:22 AM
Frankly, I think you definitely have a chance. The 602, in my opinion, probably wouldn't be an issue, as it was 20 something years ago. The drug use, on the other hand, may be an issue. The drug(s) types are certainly what is important. Pot? Not a huge deal. Harder drugs MAY be a bigger deal depending type, frequency of use, and total number of uses.

Greg-Dawg
03-18-2009, 8:18 AM
Just apply and be truthful.

I got accepted to LBPD reserves and yes, the background investigator will pretty much drill all your coworkers, ex wife, family, etc.

Do it.

Gnome
03-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I think you should definitely apply. Yes, you made some bad decisions in your youth; we all have. But it looks like you have grown up and out of it.

Your background investigator will weigh the mistakes against the positive things you have done. Schooling and a degree in Criminal Justice may count for a lot.

Bottom line is you need to be honest, and disclose everything. Integrity is a must in LE. If you dont have it, you wont make it.

Just do it. Good Luck. Let me know if you have any questions. It wasnt too long ago that I went through the process. Mine took forever to complete (applied in july, started academy in March).

1911su16b870
03-18-2009, 10:50 AM
1. If it is truely what you want - Go For It!
2. Be 100% honest and truthfull, happened along time ago, you've lived and learned.
3. Go to one of the reserve academies, get your POST 2 and 3 certs.
4. Apply to many different agencies.
5. Remember Reserves pay 100% their own way...

fullrearview
03-18-2009, 11:18 AM
some places do have paid positions!

sgtbuck
03-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Go for it. I retired three years ago after 15 years of service as a Reserve Police Sergeant. I was a full level one Officer. We were all covered by the same insurance that my full time counterpart was given. We were also covered legally by both PORAC and the CRPOA. In 1994 I was in a gun battle with a gang member and the PORAC Attorney was waiting for me before I even got to the station. When I retired I was given my retirment badge and a few other perks for my service. My department also had a good habit of hiring full time Officers from the Reserve pool. The Reserve programs are not what they used to be. Not alot of people are willing to attened an academy for over a year and then not get paid for there work. Some agencies do pay there Reserves but not here in the San Diego area. One more thing I used to tell cadets in the academy, was put your app in every department you can and go with the first agency that is willing to hire you. It seams that every agency is a little different in what they are looking for in an Officer, just because one agency turns you down does not mean the next one will.

retired
03-18-2009, 2:29 PM
I would agree and say go for it. As was said by eta, the drugs you used will be important and depending on what they are, can result in a dq. Be honest with your investigator and he/she will let you know where you stand.

You also might want to consider, as was mentioned, being a full time leo. Good luck.

Jonathan Doe
03-18-2009, 5:38 PM
If you are willing to give up the weekends for about a year, go for it.

sgtbuck
03-19-2009, 8:35 AM
Weekends? Our academy here in north San Diego county requires 14 + months tuesdays, wednesday and thursdays nights and most all Saturdays and some sundays. Then after the academy your talking another 400+ hours with an FTO. It takes almost three years total for a level one basic POST Reserve to get on his own on a beat. They don't offer the level two academies in our area anymore. My information is over three years old so some things might have changed. Its not easy. My academy class had almost a 50% drop out rate and that was when it was only 7 months long. If your dedicated and really deep down want it you can do it. Like everyone said just be honest and don't forget to put everything in your background packet. Failer to even put a traffic ticket in your background could cause a rejection. They are looking to see how honest you are. Most of the time they have run a pre backgound screen on you and already know alot of stuff about you. Oh keep in mind even if a record is sealed they will still find it. They will also use the background packet on your lie detector test for the questions they ask. Yes they will give you a lie detector test. The process for my Department takes 6 to 8 months before you get your CPT's interview. It takes alot of work but it can be very rewarding when you have completed everything. Make sure you check out the CRPOA web site. Good luck....

Ron-Solo
04-23-2009, 9:56 AM
Go for it, be honest and up front about everything. If you don't try, you will always wonder "What if....."

I started as a reserve in 1977 and 3 months after graduation, I went back to the academy full time in 1978. I'm still here.

Good Luck!

scr83jp
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
I have been considering applying for a reserve LEO position. What's holding me back is that I had a 602, which I pleaded nolo and was subsequently sealed 23 years ago after I met the terms of my probation. The 602 was the result of being drunk and then doing something stupid, which I still regret to this day. In addition, I have been sober since 2001 and this is documented with the FAA as I am a pilot as well. In addition during my college days, I also participated in some Health and Safety Code no no's, but haven't done any drugs since 1985.

I have a a BA in Criminal Justice and have held a management position for the last eleven years. I know they go back and talk to everyone on the BI and my ex-wife who I was married to during the above timed period would tell the the interviewer of my drug use. Before I go through the dog and pony show of applying, could the LEO's chime in here to let me know if I should just forget about it.

Thanks in advance.
When I attended a required liability class for ccw renewal I recognized the detective instructing the class. Don't leave anything out in a job interview.A friend interviewed for a parole officer position & "forgot" to mention his dui conviction when he was in the USMC,his application was rejected.

franco802
04-26-2009, 3:14 PM
Weekends? Our academy here in north San Diego county requires 14 + months tuesdays, wednesday and thursdays nights and most all Saturdays and some sundays. Then after the academy your talking another 400+ hours with an FTO. It takes almost three years total for a level one basic POST Reserve to get on his own on a beat. They don't offer the level two academies in our area anymore. My information is over three years old so some things might have changed. Its not easy. My academy class had almost a 50% drop out rate and that was when it was only 7 months long. If your dedicated and really deep down want it you can do it. Like everyone said just be honest and don't forget to put everything in your background packet. Failer to even put a traffic ticket in your background could cause a rejection. They are looking to see how honest you are. Most of the time they have run a pre backgound screen on you and already know alot of stuff about you. Oh keep in mind even if a record is sealed they will still find it. They will also use the background packet on your lie detector test for the questions they ask. Yes they will give you a lie detector test. The process for my Department takes 6 to 8 months before you get your CPT's interview. It takes alot of work but it can be very rewarding when you have completed everything. Make sure you check out the CRPOA web site. Good luck....

Grossmont College still runs a level 2 academy.