View Full Version : Whatever You Say

03-17-2009, 1:58 AM
Hi Guys. Great to be here.
My buddy is an ex-leo and current CCW holder, so we talk about guns all the time & go shooting just about every other weekend. I enjoy getting out for some stress relief and talking about one of my favorite hobbies just like he does, the problem is he's always overwhelming me with his ego and know-it-all attitude.

The other day he was telling me after all these years that he used to carry a "Steyr MP5" in his patrol car back in '90. When we're at the range he's always staring at other shooters to see what guns they have (last week told a guy next to us "so you're the one buying all the .45:D" because we couldn't find any white boxes at Wal-Mart, the guy was cool and laughed it off but I couldn't help but think it got him somewhat annoyed) and always shoots like he's putting on a show. He just can't chill out and enjoy it like everyone else is trying to do.

There have been more than a couple occasions recently where the shooters next to us got up and left rather early I'm sure due to the tension. About 3 months ago he got intimidated by the boom of what I believe was a .44mag being shot next to us and he turns to me and says, thinking he's being quiet, "yeah but he can't shoot worth ****" loud enough that the shooter looked in our direction real quick and just shook his head.

Last month I showed him that Todd Jarrett on shooting youtube clip, and a couple hours ago while I was cleaning his 92F and going over my grip he started instructing me to try and place the pistol in line with my forearm like Jarrett did!! I said "Oh you mean like that video of TJarrett I showed you?" and he somehow changed the subject.

He also likes to let people know he carries. At his work he's always taking out his gun and acts like he's putting it away in his desk in front of every other person that sets foot in his office. Wanna hear irresponsible? Whenever he goes into a liquor store, bank, somewhere "quick" etc. where is his gun? Sitting useless in his vehicles' console.

Since we've had a pretty rocky relationship in the past and appreciate what we can get I just kind of take it for what it is and keep my mouth shut. You know what they say about old dogs.
Whew. Got it off my chest. Thanks for listening. This is better than therapy!
Please share any similar experiences

03-17-2009, 2:03 AM
Welcome to CalGuns! I dont have any LEO friends that are like that, but I do have a couple that seem to know everything about guns.... but dont own any themselves of course! LEO's do have a tendincy to have the "littleman" syndrome! Have you tried talking to him about it?

03-17-2009, 2:10 AM
Your friend sounds like an egomaniac.

If this turns into a cop bashing thread it will close.

03-17-2009, 2:15 AM
Now we know why he is "an ex-leo".

03-17-2009, 2:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
You know I've gotten him all riled up in the past so by now I just roll my eyes and laugh. I think he just gets too excited. Hahaha you nailed it with Littleman Syndrome.

"If you or any loved ones are suffering from LMS, please, slap some sense into yourselves before it's too late."

03-17-2009, 7:38 AM
Do you think him reading this thread would be a good therapy? :D
If you do, get him signed up to CalGuns.

03-17-2009, 7:48 AM
Some people are just asses. I've had a few friends like that, and they were just, well, asses. Those of us who are tolerant and see the good parts in people who are otherwise annoying seem to attract them. Use to have a golfing buddy like this, he couldn't shut up and always pissed other people off - totally oblivious to his own behavior.

Good luck!

03-17-2009, 8:45 AM
Personally, I'm too old to put up with jerks, old friend, relative, workmate, you name it. Why would you even bother spending precious time associating with someone like that?

03-17-2009, 9:19 AM
I wouldn't spend any time with someone like that....life's to short A__holes are always A__holes....people find it very difficult to change their behavior...save your self some aggrivation and find a new shooting buddy....

03-17-2009, 9:42 AM
The reality is, we ALL have friends like that. I just hope I'm not that guy...:eek:

03-17-2009, 9:49 AM
Sounds like a littleman with a power trip once got the power he was looking for in a uniform and now in a concealed weapon.

03-17-2009, 9:56 AM
The reality is, we ALL have friends like that. I just hope I'm not that guy...:eek:

you might have friends like that but I am sure I do not

03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
Welcome to Calguns!

I've known a number of cops like that over the years. My favorite <sarcastic tone>was detectives who walked around without jackets so that everyone could see that they had a gun - and couldn't always see that they had a badge to go with it. On occasion, they'd be the source of a "man with gun" call; sometimes they'd learn from it and sometimes not. I don't condone that, and they were taught better than that, but people will do what they do whether you like it or not.

You're right - it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks (take it from an old dog). You can't change him, all you can do is decide how much time you want to spend with him and where you do/don't want to go with him.

As for all you armchair psychologists, when you've done the job, then you can judge.

03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
...when you've done the job, then you can judge. Until then your opinions are of little worth.
Thanks for adding fuel to the "us vs. them" fire. :rolleyes:

03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for adding fuel to the "us vs. them" fire. :rolleyes:

Mea culpa. Post modified but considering the amount of cop-bashing that goes on here there's plenty of that already.

03-17-2009, 11:50 AM
I am not a cop basher....I bash everyone equally...the fact that this particular A_____E happens to be an ex cop has nothing to do with the type of person that he is.....

cop or not if ur an A______E you should be called out for it.....

03-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Mea culpa. Post modified but considering the amount of cop-bashing that goes on here there's plenty of that already.

Use the report button an we will take care of it. No one should be bashed here. Do something or don't complain.

03-17-2009, 1:32 PM
We all have friends like this... I will leave it at that on a public forum.

03-17-2009, 3:36 PM
Something must be really wrong with me because your friend doesn't sound that bad to me at all!

He actually sounds pretty cool overall.

And I'm not the biggest friend to LE in general.

B Strong
03-17-2009, 3:49 PM
Your guy doesn't sound like an LEO to me, he sounds like a poseur.

03-17-2009, 9:11 PM
As said, I think many of us have pals like this... great in some respects, intolerable in others (in my case, none LEO). My buddy has been close for 25 years... good guy, but if we go to the range his ManHood gets cranked wayyyy up, and he starts posturing. When the range safety guy comes over to make a comment/suggestion, my pal gets all pissy. I generally appreciate, or at least pleasantly tolerate, what the RS guys have to offer- hey, they gotta work there, not me!

As far as "little men" are concerned, maybe it matters most on WHAT is little?

03-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Yep, everybody's has/had a friend like that. They can be really annoying, but sometimes they can be turn out the "realest" friends you have. Once in a blue moon they can also be funnier than ****.

03-17-2009, 10:19 PM
You're right on that, he's probably the most dependable guy I've ever known and has made me bust a gut a time or two.

03-18-2009, 7:47 AM
"We're all monkeys with car keys."