PDA

View Full Version : Legal question/advice.

CnCFunFactory
03-17-2009, 12:05 AM
I have a question which I am hoping somebody can answer for me. My friend is going out of town. He doesn't feel comfortable leaving his guns at his home while he is gone. Is it legal for him to leave them with me? I would just lock them in my safe and he would transport them to and from.

Before any one goes off on him, via me, about him not having a safe... he has one ordered its just the safe company can't deliver it before he leaves. Poor planning on his part which he has already gotten much grief on from me.

Any advice or direction to actual laws would be great. Thanks calgunners I have only been a member for a short period but have learned a lot since signing up. I hope this can be another learning experience.

TheBundo
03-17-2009, 12:24 AM
It's okay, I believe, UNLESS you are a prohibited person. How long are we talking?

CnCFunFactory
03-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Absolutley NOT a prohibited individual. I have my HSC and am not a felon/covict etc. I will have them for two weeks he's going on his honeymoon.

leelaw
03-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Assuming the weapons are not assault weapons, or other similar types (ie: they are just plain-jane handguns and longguns) you may hold them for the two weeks without issue.

CnCFunFactory
03-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Sorry, I should have been a little more specific as this is the law we are talking about. Yes, they are just average plain old guns. Nothing special, a couple of pistols and 12 gauge skeet gun that cost more than all the pistols combined LOL. Thanks for the info thus far you guys.

CA_Libertarian
03-17-2009, 4:15 AM
Pretty much, if you could legally possess them, he can lend them to you up to 29 days. 30+ days and then you gotta do a legal transfer.

If he has any 'large capacity' mags, don't take those. They can only be lent while the owner is present.

E Pluribus Unum
03-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Man.... all these non-attorneys giving "legal advice"....

Practicing law without a license.... ;)

P.S.
Come on... I had to... the post is titled "legal advice" for goodness sake.

Untamed1972
03-17-2009, 11:07 AM
If he has any 'large capacity' mags, don't take those. They can only be lent while the owner is present.

Really? I never heard that one before. Interesting.

CnCFunFactory
03-17-2009, 11:13 AM
It probably, in hind sight, should have had a comma not a forward slash between the words 'question' and 'advice'.

E Pluribus Unum
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
It probably, in hind sight, should have had a comma not a forward slash between the words 'question' and 'advice'.

Its not your fault bud. You can solicit legal advice. Only licensed attorneys can give it, and there are many on this board.

I just want to remind people that gun laws effect people's lives. One should not be giving legal advice without making darned sure he knows what he is doing.