PDA

View Full Version : The mossberg 500 6 shot v. 8 shot / adding mag extensions

cbn620
03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's what I'm thinking... I like the idea of having 8 shots, but the 8 shot magazine on the 8 shot Mossberg 500 persuader looks like it's permanently affixed. I figure if I ever want to go with a shorter barrel it'll be a no-no with the tubular magazine so long as it is.

My solution is maybe I ought to go with the 6 shot, and I can just add a 2 shot extension with barrel clamps. That way if I ever want to go with a shorter barrel, I can just pop the 2 shot extension off, pop the barrel clamps off, and put whatever barrel I want on.

Any thoughts? Are the mag extensions worth a darn? Are they reliable? If so recommend some parts. If you think I'm on the wrong page entirely, set me straight.

Thanks.

nsginc
03-16-2009, 11:21 PM
Go with Nordic, Nice product with great customer service.

Racefiend
03-17-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't think you can add a barrel extension on the 500. The barrel bracket screws into the end of the magazine tube, which is a solid piece, with no detachable end cap.

SCMA-1
03-17-2009, 6:50 AM
I don't think you can add a barrel extension on the 500. The barrel bracket screws into the end of the magazine tube, which is a solid piece, with no detachable end cap.

Yes, this is correct. Moss 500 5 shot tubes are plugged at the end and threaded for the endcap; can't put an extension on them.

SCMA-1

The Cable Guy
03-17-2009, 7:07 PM
Yes, this is correct. Moss 500 5 shot tubes are plugged at the end and threaded for the endcap; can't put an extension on them.

SCMA-1

This is correct.

Justin562
03-17-2009, 7:16 PM
I heard somewhere you can file down the barrel-to-tube bolt to fit that extra 2.75" round to hold 6 rounds in the tube... anyone know If that true? I own a 5 rounder 18.5inch mossberg 500a also. I wish I bought a 590 instead,not that theres nothing wrong with the 500...I just wish I can load more than 5 rounds just like CBN620.
interesting post:thumbsup:

vinny_land
03-17-2009, 7:18 PM
PM MAX100 about mag extensions. He custom makes magazine extensions for Mossberg 500 shotguns that have the 6 shot capacity and making it into a 8 shot capacity.

ojisan
03-17-2009, 7:25 PM
I own both 6 and 8 shot versions.
All around, the 6 shot is better: slightly more compact with short barrel for home defense, lots of hunting barrels for slugs to birdshot to trap and skeet, rifle sighted tactical barrels.
8 shot has nowhere near the choice of barrels and it's muzzle heavy as a hunting or play gun. Not that it would not work in a pinch.
My 8 shot is dressed in black for zombies: sidesaddle, heat shield, light, synthetic stocks, sling.
6 shot gets dressed every which way depending on what I am doing.
Add a speed feed stock and a couple barrels to the 6 shot and you are set.
My ATP-6 and ATP-8 are older, they have different threads on the mag tubes so not interchangeable. Maybe new ones are or ?
My .01

MAX100
03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
I make tube extensions for the 500 Tactical Breacher. It has a mag tube like a 835 and 590A1 18.5" barrel shotguns. Like other have posted, a 500 Persuader can't accept a tube extension.

I would sale the shotgun you have or keep it and buy another shotgun that has a higher capacity or can accept a tube extension. Don't waste your money on converting the one you have. You will have one shotgun and leftover parts when you could have two nice shotguns for a little more money.

GC