PDA

View Full Version : Canyon sports in Martinez?

xddueller
03-16-2009, 9:00 PM
Does anybody have an opinion about Canyon Sports in Martinez? I just layed away a handgun there today. While examining my new piece, I noticed that it had a very small amount of wear on the back end of the barrel visible in the slide, as well as a very small amount of wear on the finish just inside the barrell at the muzzle. There was a bit of gun oil on the outside of the slide too, in other words, it just didn't look as spit and polished as the ones in the display case. The gun was shown to me directly from the factory case, and I was assured that this was all normal, as the weapon had been test fired at the factory, then oiled. I'm just not sure what to look for, as I'm still a rookie. I'm not questioning thier integrity either, I'm just wondering if anyone has had a reason not to trust them. Does this gun sound used? I appreciate anyone taking time to comment, thanks!

WokMaster1
03-16-2009, 9:30 PM
This what I always do. record serial number when I buy the gun. Take notes on any "marks" etc. Recheck again when I pick it up after 10 days. You can always take a picture & I have seen a couple of folks do that with their phone cam & the guys there didn't care. You can also call in to the manufacturer & find out if the gun was used but that would be real ballsy for them to switch out a new one for a used one.

till44
03-16-2009, 9:41 PM
I say shop around, they are pretty pricey and they can be tough to deal with. I bought a mag there once, the mag had some obvious problems so I returned it. They didn't want to take it back even though it had never been fired, the follower simply wouldn't come back up after being depressed. Took a lot of talking/convincing. They did take it back in the end but wasn't worth buying it there again.

dexter9659
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
I prefer Diablo Gun Works behind Caspers on Contra Costa. Canyon reminds me of a jar full of FUD. I have purchased 1 gun from them.... Never again. Zack told me the gun I wanted was "too much for me" because he thinks you need to be 6' 200lbs, to shoot a 10mm. Also they too refused to take back full cap magazines of mine from pre-2000. One of the guys there started asking me when I bought my mags, and told me it was illegal for me to own them. Nuts to Canyon.

A word of advice should you ever buy something from them: do not let them bully you into buying. The whole "this gun sells itself" line is absurd. Also, you will notice they may be willing to give you a "deal" if you pay cash on their whim. The deal they give you will only bring it to just above MSRP, as opposed to the giant markup they so enjoy.

Buying a gun should be a comforting, enjoyable experience, surrounded by professionalism; Canyon will take your money and let the door hit you going out.

ivanimal
03-16-2009, 11:30 PM
I guess I am the minority here. I have always had great service at Canyon. I believe I am upwards of 20 guns that I bought from them. Ron the owner has been around a while and I defy anyone to ask him a gun related question that he does not know. They would never sell a used gun as new. That was the original question. You have a factory test fired gun. Many guns are handled and re handled many times in a gun store if there is slide wear it could be from the obligatory pre handle check we all do before fondling a gun. If Canyon was as bad a people say how could they be doing so well for so long? Go in and judge for yourself.

leelaw
03-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't shop there due to customer service issues. They do have a good selection and prices within the usual ballpark for local FFLs, and if you catch them on a good day they'll treat you right. I didn't, and it rubbed me the wrong way and I've never been back.

wolf13
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm with leelaw on this one. Good selection, but I have never felt like I got treated right when I went there. Customer service is a big deal to me, and when I feel I don't get treated right, I won't spend my money. I gave them 3 chances, and ever time didn't feel right, and now don't ever think of going there. G

gbp
03-17-2009, 10:14 AM
i'm with ivanimal on this one. i have used them a lot over the past 4-5 years and never had a problem. hell i even like zack

kcs1211
03-17-2009, 11:28 AM
All 3 times I went there I felt like I was bugging / interupting them from their conversation. So I left.

I don't know any names, but the big guy with the loud voice wants you to buy what he wants, or don't buy at all.

Thats been my experience.

tgriffin
03-17-2009, 11:39 AM
My main issue is with customer service. I dont like Zach's high pressure sales "technique'. Very pricey. Will do in a pinch though if I need something small.

NineteenElev3n
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Canyon Sports will never get my business ever again. Their customer service is poor and the workers there that I dealt with are rude.

PressCheck
03-17-2009, 11:56 AM
I've been doing business with them for OVER 10 years (maybe 15), and NEVER had a problem with prices, or services!!

Joe
03-17-2009, 12:05 PM
All 3 times I went there I felt like I was bugging / interupting them from their conversation. So I left.

I don't know any names, but the big guy with the loud voice wants you to buy what he wants, or don't buy at all.

Thats been my experience.

I had a similar experience

gef
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
I have over the last few years bought seven guns from them, both handguns and rifles. I've had no problems and like the place. There are other people working there besides Zack, so use one of them. I've gotten price breaks from them as a regular costumer. It's a good place to go, seven days a week and they have most anything you may want on need. George

xddueller
03-17-2009, 12:38 PM
Everybody seems to be describing what I felt there. They can be a little arrogant, and they could definetley work on their people skills. They do have a good selection though, and the older guys in there really know their stuff.
As far as prices, they are just a tad high.
However, and here's my chance to give back:
They still have a couple of SA xd's in stock as well as 9mm and .40 s&w ammo. Gun price was about $50 too high +they charge $35 for the DROS.But the ammo was fair @ $15/box for 9mm- $19/box for.40s&w Considering the market right now, I'll pay a little extra and put up with a little attitude to get what I need. I would like to redirect anyone reading this to my original post:
Does this gun sound used? Should I be concerned? I've been there twice, and after reading the replies, I feel just a little better about my new piece...but you never know, it's hard to trust anyone these days. Thanks to everyone posting! This forum rocks!

xddueller

andybtruckin
05-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I was there a month or so ago looking for handguards for an AR. Guy behind the counter asked me if I had seen one of these yet and pulled a Wonder wrench out of his pocket. And then offered to sell me that $7 Wonder wrench for.................$40!

Never again will I set foot in that store.

norcal77
05-22-2009, 1:42 PM
I've been there and they are overpriced and can be somewhat rude...I guess it depends the day you go on but I will never go back.

joepamjohn
05-22-2009, 7:12 PM
I went in there with a pocket full of cash ($2000) looking to buy a Browning BT-99 trap gun. Between Zack (the big loud guy) and an older guy that stood there with his arms crossed and a frown ,I got a really strange feeling that they didn't give a crap about what I wanted. I then got the hard sale for an over priced Benelli that I had no interest in,and when I told them I was looking for a BT-99 with the adjustable comb (which they didn't have) the older guy snatched the BT-99 from me and walked away. I could not freakng believe it.What a joke! I ordered a different gun from Chuck @ Contra Costa Collectible Firearms in Walnut Creek at a lot less money and did not have the attitude. They blew it. I guess cash paying customers are so common that loosing another one is no big deal.

By the way,a NEW gun should be new!!! Crisp in the box with NO evidence of any wear. They do not test fire guns to the point where they look used. Be aware,you may be getting screwed.

tankerman
05-22-2009, 7:53 PM
It's a good place to go, seven days a week and they have most anything you may want on need. GeorgeWhen did they start opening on Mondays?

DRM6000
05-22-2009, 9:48 PM
i bought a pistol from there once and i didn't have any trouble at all. no hard sell, no fud, no bs and i'm a young looking guy. i think the name of the guy that helped me was frank or fred, an older guy. he was very friendly and helpful. yes, the guns are marked up well above retail. without even asking or even hinting, he offered me a deal on the pistol i wanted to purchase and it was well below retail, iirc.

so i guess ymmv.

sargenv
05-22-2009, 9:54 PM
Eh, I'd done a couple transfers through them before I knew better and the only gun I bought from them was a Browning Gold hunter that they had on the shelf. I once tried to purchase a Para P16 from them or order one (before the list) but they said they did not deal in Para because they were crap (their words). I wanted to build a Limited gun out of one so I didn't care about the factory parts sucking. Since then I've heard nothing good about them from several people. If they don't want your money, there is nothing you can do to try and spend it there. Go elsewhere..

a.tinkerer
05-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Ultimate crap customer dis-service.
Funny that the guys here who have *not negative* things to say about this place all seem to know full well of the problem and the ***-clown zach character.

I really don't see any good reason to spend money there, besides possibly keeping a roof over zach's head (much like keeping the ghetto people in the ghetto - at least you know where they'll be so that you can avoid them...)

mecam
05-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I bought a benelli 5 days before the tax hike and when I went to pick it up, Zack said I had to pay the $12 tax difference or their computer can't release the gun. I didn't even bother arguing since it was only $12 but that was the last time I'm buying from that rip off shop.

norcal77
05-23-2009, 12:58 AM
I bought a benelli 5 days before the tax hike and when I went to pick it up, Zack said I had to pay the $12 tax difference or their computer can't release the gun. I didn't even bother arguing since it was only $12 but that was the last time I'm buying from that rip off shop.

Zack said I had to pay the $12 tax difference or their computer can't release the gun:rolleyes:

:mad:
This is why calguns should have a rating system for FFL's.

cortayack
05-23-2009, 1:22 AM
I went in there a couple of times and it felt no one wanted to help me....LOL!
I only buy ammo there if they got it....I call ahead to see what they have and then I'm in and out!

scobun
05-23-2009, 7:14 AM
Along with their HORRIBLE customer service and very questionable business practices, the owner of Canyon Sports has come out in support of limiting/banning the internet sales and orders of ammunition. He is clearly in it for himself and his business and puts 2A rights as a distant second. It is by far the worst gunshop I've ever been to, with the worst employees, worst service, worst prices, and worst ownership. I'd be happy to see them close their doors permanently.

I've been shopping at J&R Sports in Livermore, and it is worth the drive. They are the complete antithesis, great shop, great prices and great people.

pl408
05-23-2009, 8:30 AM
sounds like normal wear from being test fired and the oil probably seeped out of the action during shipping and got all over the place, I would'nt worry about it
looks like Zach has alot of fans :rofl2:
thats the typical type around these parts, I'm pretty used to it
what kind of hand gun was it?

kcs1211
05-23-2009, 8:56 AM
I've been shopping at J&R Sports in Livermore, and it is worth the drive. They are the complete antithesis, great shop, great prices and great people.

I just posted about them last week. Great shop. Its 30 minutes further then Canyon for me, but I have NO problem driving further to get better service/prices/oll

J&R FTW!

UBFRAGD
05-23-2009, 9:01 AM
As you touch the door handle to enter Canyon Sports, remember these three points:
1) You can be an arrogant opinionated ***** too;
2) You know more about guns than anybody in the world;
3) There are other gun stores with even HIGHER prices.

There, now shopping at Canyon should be a little easier!

A'sDad
05-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I was there yesterday, Friday. They wanted $44 for a brick of 22lr.
I bought one box of .30 Carbine for $31 bucks- Sale took over ten minutes because the poor rat bastard young guy did not stock the till/register. The old guy cussed him out the whole time I was waiting to get change!

calixt0
05-23-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm a friend of Ron the Owners and can say he is a really good guy. As far as him being in it for himself, what business owner isn't. As far as him supporting the ban of internet sales of ammo that isn't his stand. His stand was that he doesn't think it will make a difference. the news that aired him cut him up according to what he told me (for what it worth) he said go ahead and do it and it will not stop anything... all they showed was go ahead and do it...

because I know Ron fairly well i have shopped there quite a bit and just have to ignore Zach. I've even told Ron about some of the stuff Zach has said from time to time and he laughs and says "ignor him, He's a blowhard". I couldn't have said it better myself. If Ron was more out in the front for people to deal with his shop would be a great shop, matter of fact quite a few years ago (before Zach) he used to welcome me to just browse and stand around and learn what I can. Now Zach drives as many people away as Ron and the good employees can bring in.

take it for what its worth.. as a friend of Ron I don't even go there unless i need to... that should tell you something about Zach....

jasilva
05-23-2009, 1:02 PM
I'm a friend of Ron the Owners and can say he is a really good guy. As far as him being in it for himself, what business owner isn't. As far as him supporting the ban of internet sales of ammo that isn't his stand. His stand was that he doesn't think it will make a difference. the news that aired him cut him up according to what he told me (for what it worth) he said go ahead and do it and it will not stop anything... all they showed was go ahead and do it...

because I know Ron fairly well i have shopped there quite a bit and just have to ignore Zach. I've even told Ron about some of the stuff Zach has said from time to time and he laughs and says "ignor him, He's a blowhard". I couldn't have said it better myself. If Ron was more out in the front for people to deal with his shop would be a great shop, matter of fact quite a few years ago (before Zach) he used to welcome me to just browse and stand around and learn what I can. Now Zach drives as many people away as Ron and the good employees can bring in.

take it for what its worth.. as a friend of Ron I don't even go there unless i need to... that should tell you something about Zach....

Perhaps you should point Ron at some of these threads to show him what Zach is doing to his business. I haven't and won't go to the trouble of going to his shop just based on the fact that Zach is a known dickhead. Why would I drive 25-30 minutes to be abused? Even though my bro in law tells me that the shop is well stocked.

dixieD
05-23-2009, 2:21 PM
I think their customer service is just terrible, and am happy to say that I have not given them any of my business. My experiences there have sent me to Contra Costa Collectables and Antioch Armory where I have found or ordered the firearms I was looking for at a reasonable price.

kcs1211
05-23-2009, 2:25 PM
[QUOTE=calixt0;2523201] I've even told Ron about some of the stuff Zach has said from time to time and he laughs and says "ignor him, He's a blowhard". I couldn't have said it better myself. QUOTE]

He pays that blowhard. Seriously tell Ron he is losing business.

When I am told I have a bad employee, (especially by multiple people), I take action......Thats what you have to do when you run a business.
I really wish there were better gun shops in the East Bay. I shouldn't have to drive 45 minutes from Pittsburg to find a decent one, but I do.

masameet
05-23-2009, 2:30 PM
Bought my first handgun, a Buck Mark, from Canyon Sports. Didn't know much about handguns (can't say I know much even now). The one I fell in love with and ultimately bought had some gunpowder residue in the barrel/muzzle. It was oily too. I don't know but I imagine if a pistol is factory shot at least once, it won't be cleaned by the factory or the reseller.

Anyway I negotiated for my Buck Mark. Was neat to return and have the sales guy go in back and talk to Ron, and then come out with a much better deal than I thought I'd get. So Thanks, Ron! :thumbsup:

OP, if you had qualms about the pistol before putting it on layaway, maybe you could have asked here on Calguns before dropping some money. Still I imagine since you have not formally gone through the DROS process, you can back out of the deal. Just a thought.

RANDO
05-23-2009, 2:50 PM
I prefer going to canyon sports just to hear zach be a dick to people, i've been in there and hear some of the stupid crap people ask so I can understand. Some of the prices are high and some are pretty reasonable just my .02

tango5
05-23-2009, 3:04 PM
Just take a drive to Livermore and go see J&R Guns. Their prices are not marked up like Canyon, and top notch customer service. Ive had nothing but problems every time i went into Canyon.

a.tinkerer
05-23-2009, 5:00 PM
Back to the 'zach is chasing business away' point - I'll vouch for a solid ten plus grand of my money that *didn't go through that shop* since my first/last visit there.

The owner knows this guy is a jerkwad?
I've heard that Zach gets a commission on his sales. Perfect arrangement for a guy like him - that can explain the 'blowhard', 'hard-sell', 'ringleader' manner and attitude he shows around the counter.

I'm guessing that he has a similarly forceful relationship with the owner of the shop, and that to some extent the owner of the shop might actually *believe* that Zach is an asset to the business.
Too much of a pain in the neck to deal with him -- ?
Pay him to keep him out of your face -- ?
Zach bullying his way into job security -- ?

Still, a good look through this (now only four page long) thread will show that *pretty much everyone here* agrees that this guy is a jerk.
The few who still choose to patronize the shop all note this too, and tell stories of how this dude insults/berates/mistreats the people who come there to shop.

...but you think anything will change there?
I won't hold my breath.

Cheers
Tinker

kcs1211
05-23-2009, 7:42 PM
I prefer going to canyon sports just to hear zach be a dick to people, i've been in there and hear some of the stupid crap people ask so I can understand. Some of the prices are high and some are pretty reasonable just my .02

People ask stupid questions because they don't know any better.

I run an auto repair shop, if I was a dick to everyone who asked stupid questions.....

If someone working retail can't deal w/some questions, they need to find a new line of work.

mecam
05-23-2009, 7:48 PM
People ask stupid questions because they don't know any better.

I run an auto repair shop, if I was a dick to everyone who asked stupid questions.....

If someone working retail can't deal w/some questions, they need to find a new line of work.

+1, it's never a stupid question when it's from a customer. You make them look stupid, you can guarantee that's the last time they will buy from you.

IsaacGlass
05-24-2009, 12:58 AM
They're not a bad bunch of guys, are they dishonest? No, just have the highest prices than any or all the gun shops I've been to.
By the way, OP never mention what brand and model gun? Some brands have less details and fine finishing than others do.

gotgunz
05-24-2009, 2:44 AM
I've gotta go check this place out to see what all the hubbub is about!

halifax
05-24-2009, 5:41 AM
They're not a bad bunch of guys, are they dishonest? No, just have the highest prices than any or all the gun shops I've been to.
By the way, OP never mention what brand and model gun? Some brands have less details and fine finishing than others do.

An example is a SIG barrel without the "smiles". Even from the factory there will be the faint beginings of such.

Did you pay in full on the first visit? If so, you had a receipt with the correct tax paid for the day purchased. If not, the sale was not complete until after the new tax rate went into effect.

mecam
05-24-2009, 6:24 AM
Did you pay in full on the first visit? If so, you had a receipt with the correct tax paid for the day purchased. If not, the sale was not complete until after the new tax rate went into effect.

Yes, paid in full 5 days before the tax hike. Zach told me the computer can't release the gun unless the tax difference was paid. He said the shop can not eat the cost ($12) and he blamed the county of Contra Costa. :rolleyes: Like I said, I didn't argue and just got the flack out of there.

sammy
05-24-2009, 6:55 AM
I went shopping for an HK P2000 about 3 years ago. Canyon is the only one that had any in stock so I went looking. It must have been a slow day because the place was empty and Zach was in a good mood. After handling the gun for a bit and liking what I saw, I returned the gun. Zach then offered to let me test fire the gun at their range out back. He stated "no big deal, they do it at the factory" I declined because I was not ready to buy but I did go buy it the next month when I had the cash. So, at least in my case I can say for a fact that they do shoot the guns they are selling customers.

snypr
05-27-2009, 1:03 PM
I have been a supporter of canyon for years.....My brother in law asked me to go with him to look at a gun. I did, he purchased it, and was given another gun without night-sites after his 10day wait..NOT COOL!!!. The old "bait and switch" routine, I feel. A guy he works with, was stiffed out a magazine when he purchased a new pistol from them as well. He only received 2 mags and when canyon was asked about it, said it only came with two....however when I purchased mine (same make and model) from them, it had 3.

Unfortunatly this will be my last purchase with them. Whether intentional or not, sure seems like this behavior happens too frequently to label a "coincidence" for my taste. I have found J&R guns in Livermore, very nice shop and great support. Their prices are good also, in fact i bought a new gun from them today.

Dont get me wrong, I wish that these unfortunate circumstances didnt happen, but they cant be ignored. I think that they are taking advantage of current times of supply and demand.

Joe
05-27-2009, 4:48 PM
I absolutely hate canyon sports. Even more after reading this thread. Worst prices in the bay area and the most horrible customer service I've ever seen. I now drive right past canyon sports and go to J&R in Livermore. Best shop in the bay in my opinion.

tazmanian devil dog
05-27-2009, 4:56 PM
Zack isn't so bad. You just have to learn to say the magic word. That word being "NO" !! Imagine how simple that is. I have bought many guns from Canyon Sports and they haven't done me wrong yet.

kcs1211
05-27-2009, 5:26 PM
Man, J&R must be boomin!
I've seen many people post on this thread that live at least 30-45 minutes away that say J&R is their shop of choice.

I pass many gun shops on my way to J&R, it takes me 45 minutes to get there, but I haven't found a better choice closer to me.

Ezekiel2000
05-27-2009, 5:58 PM
My personal experiences with East Bay gun shops. Obviously your experiences may differ. -

Go To:
J&R Sports Supply - Livermore - There is a reason everyone is mentioning them. Good prices, great attitude, evil guns :) Have bought from them a few times and will do so again no problem.

Contra Costa Collectibles - Walnut Creek - I've only done a PPT there but both times in the shop the employees were friendly and courteous. I will most definitely be back to spend my money in their shop.

Antioch Armory - Antioch - Bought my first pistol from them...for $100 cheaper than Canyon Sports quoted me for. No attitude in here.

Avoid:
Diablo Valley Gun Works - Pleasant Hill - Ken is like the Zach of Canyon Sports...hahaha, ok maybe not quite. Still, to me personally was extremely rude two different days in a row...the only days I have or will shop there. Permanently off my list of places to visit. Major attitude that left a horrible taste in my mouth.

Canyon Sports - Martinez - Way high prices but to be fair the only time I have ever actually been in the shop I didn't get any attitude from the employees...the prices alone were enough to make me stay away. From reading all of the replies though I don't see a reason to go in there, it's pretty simple.

I prefer to support shops with friendly employees.
If I wanted to be treated like dirt I'd get married.

BigEd925
05-27-2009, 6:10 PM
BTW no one mentioned that Canyon Sports only does PPTs on Saturdays between 10-2pm. What a SCAM!!! They are not "there for me" so I choose not to give them any business.

All I hear about the owner are great things, however if he plans on keeping his business successful he needs to can a few people.

Rem222
05-27-2009, 8:02 PM
[QUOTE=Ezekiel2000;2542793]My personal experiences with East Bay gun shops. Obviously your experiences may differ. -

Avoid:
Diablo Valley Gun Works - Pleasant Hill - Ken is like the Zach of Canyon Sports...hahaha, ok maybe not quite. Still, to me personally was extremely rude two different days in a row...the only days I have or will shop there. Permanently off my list of places to visit. Major attitude that left a horrible taste in my mouth.

QUOTE]

I have to disagree on Diablo Valley Gun Works. Ken is a great guy and has repaired several firearms for me. I've done business with them for many years with not a single problem...

pantera52
05-27-2009, 8:17 PM
Not a huge fan.
-Zack seems to think his sh** doesnt stink.
-Everything seems pretty expensive.
-Three times ive gone there some thug was trying to sell me random dvd's and what not in the parking lot.
#The one thing I did like was when I brought my 2 year old daughter in with me they showed her a great deal of respect and even toned down the language (which is unheard of in that place).

F-2_Challenger
05-27-2009, 8:54 PM
My 45 that I bought came with a gun lock from the factory, and was in their when I bought the pistol, but come pick up time it was missing. Their went another 15 bucks. It just wasn't worth it.

Zack is nothing but a thief in my eyes.

gef
05-28-2009, 7:22 AM
Here's a store to try, it's not far from Canyon Sports as the crow flys, try Tripple A Sporting Goods in Vallejo, nice place and good people.

guns_and_labs
05-28-2009, 8:21 AM
I've gotta go check this place out to see what all the hubbub is about!

You definitely should check it out.

I find Zack to be funny, and a very good salesman (that's not always a good thing, evidently).

The prices vary -- some higher than you can find if you shop hard, but also some very good deals. On the other hand, they carry a lot more inventory than most shops, and I'm sure they pay premium dollar to their suppliers to stay supplied. And they do try to make money.

And Ron, as has been mentioned before, is great.

Netlemming
05-28-2009, 8:23 AM
Here's a store to try, it's not far from Canyon Sports as the crow flys, try Tripple A Sporting Goods in Vallejo, nice place and good people.

They seem to have good prices too. I would like to know more about the shop. Anyone else visited Triple A's?

bruss01
05-28-2009, 8:28 AM
I used to go into Canyon frequently for cleaning supplies and accessories. The one time I purchased a used gun there (bought at a show, transfer at Canyon) cured me of ever wanting to go back there again. Hope they are listening. Don't like being looked down on and definitely don't like being ripped off.

Jason762
05-28-2009, 8:30 AM
They seem to have good prices too. I would like to know more about the shop. Anyone else visited Triple A's?

They're alright in my opinion. Lots of AR-15 off list stuff. I went there to buy some 10 round magazines for my FAL. Before I went I called to see if they had any and was told yes. They also corrected me on my pronunciation of FAL. I spell it out F-A-L; after all it's short for Fusil Automatique Léger.

Guy on the phone said it's "FAL", just straight up as you read it. Anyway I digress...

I get to the shop, and see the only available employee, some oldish guy with an admirable beer gut. I wait for him to ask if I need assistance and ask him if they've got the FAL magazines.

Without even checking, he blinks and says, "no we don't". Lucky for me, another employee, an asian guy, overheard, and said "yes we do" and brought out a few.

So, Triple A has it's own Zach. :rolleyes:

Gunguy65
05-28-2009, 8:57 PM
tripple a sports in vallejo is a great shop but for your info he is afterall big ron the owner of canyon sports brother in law that must be the reason for two zacks just my two cents.

awong251
05-29-2009, 7:16 PM
I thought I would share my experience, These are great guys to deal with. Zach and the staff was great. They took the time to show me the two Glocks that I was interested in and took the time to explain the differences to me. Ron met me outside and chatted with me and gave me some recommendations on the gun clubs in the area and also shooting ranges. I've purchased a Benelli shotgun from them when they were located in the smaller shop down off of Pacheco Blvd. I strongly recommend Canyon Sports and their wonderful staff. I will continue to recommend them to my friends or for that matter anyone. Thanks guys!!

awong251
05-29-2009, 7:29 PM
He's been in business since 1990. That is 19 years. That's a good track record.

Inkman
05-29-2009, 7:52 PM
^^ :rofl2:

:whistling:

kcs1211
05-29-2009, 8:15 PM
I thought I would share my experience, These are great guys to deal with. Zach and the staff was great. They took the time to show me the two Glocks that I was interested in and took the time to explain the differences to me. Ron met me outside and chatted with me and gave me some recommendations on the gun clubs in the area and also shooting ranges. I've purchased a Benelli shotgun from them when they were located in the smaller shop down off of Pacheco Blvd. I strongly recommend Canyon Sports and their wonderful staff. I will continue to recommend them to my friends or for that matter anyone. Thanks guys!!

Sounds like word got out. Did you join today to post this?

Joe
05-29-2009, 8:20 PM

April fools is long over

awong251
05-30-2009, 7:25 AM
kcs1211 and Joe -

I take it you two being sarcastic. I like it though. LOL... No. I joined earlier this month. Why so much grief about them? They've treated me well.

Xerxes
05-30-2009, 8:07 PM
Canyon is the closest gun shop to me, less than ten minutes as the crow flies.

I don't mind the high prices so much, as driving in the bay area traffic is absolutely nuts and the cost of doing so is crazy so paying a bit more to stay off the roads is worth it to me and most people. Of course if I save enough money on a purchase, well its a trade off.

I know I work hard for my money. When I spend it on things like shooting stuff, I want to feel pleasure when my money is spent. Try to spend your money at this shop and they will make you feel displeasure. The disrespect, rudeness, steering you away from what you want to purchase to some overpriced item that they bought to much of and are trying to push out the door, well it makes me feel like krap. I don't need that as I am the one with the money so I can go elsewhere so I do.

Don't know about the Vallejo store being the brother in law, but did a transfer and a purchase there in the last year and when I left the shop I felt satisfied instead of angry and feeling like krap.

There is no point in going there unless you put on a gas mask, ear plugs, a full NBC outfit, and write your requests on a piece of paper and hand it to them so you are immune to their flagrant offensive ways.

I make it a point of avoiding stores that leave me dissatisfied or feeling krappy. I don't have enough money to waste doing such foolishness.

that store would be better off if that old fat guy that sits on the stool all day Yakking real loud all the time and gives you dirtly looks when you interupt his conversations and professes to be a gun expert and knows what is best for you and you better like it or just leave the store was shown the door himself.

joepamjohn
05-30-2009, 9:12 PM
I would imagine even that place may have got the hint that atleast the majority of the postings in this thread were negative and if that is a lithmus test for the rest of the patrons that have gone there it may be in the best interest of the business to show a little customers service for a change. Until I hear that Zack has been canned, I won't be going there. Got no problem with Ron Kennedy other than he is allowing this type of C/S in his store.

battleship
05-30-2009, 9:44 PM
Canyon Sports = House of S&M, enter at your own risk or pleasure depending on your preference.

This Zack character amuses me to know end its quiet entertaining to watch him in action.

Not trying to promote him but at least hes upfront with his abuse and who its directed at, some of the others are like little girls sniggering behind one and other and rolling there eyes when you walk in or open your mouth, i hate that attitude the most.

You can haggle the price on a gun but whats the point, your never going to get a good deal on a gun that is priced a couple of hundred dollars over everyone else's prices.

Be smart and haggle on a gun that is already reasonably priced but that will be in another gun store.

Two great gun stores -

River City Gun Exchange

J&R Sports Supply

eeeeman
06-01-2009, 8:42 AM
The Know how to sell new guns and push whats in stock. Very much like a new car dealership. Ask for Ron and you will be OK on any deal. They do not have many used guns at all in stock.This is not the place to sell used guns on consignment or trade ins.This is a place mainly for brand new firearms but you have to work it if you want a deal.

PressCheck
06-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Sounds like word got out. Did you join today to post this?

Well I'm NOT the New Kid on the Block, and have been dealing with CS for 10+ years & have AWAYS walked away Happy.

andybtruckin
06-01-2009, 3:22 PM
s & have AWAYS walked away Happy.

I've been happy every time I've walked away from them too....

Nuuze
06-01-2009, 3:54 PM
BTW no one mentioned that Canyon Sports only does PPTs on Saturdays between 10-2pm. What a SCAM!!! They are not "there for me" so I choose not to give them any business.

All I hear about the owner are great things, however if he plans on keeping his business successful he needs to can a few people.

I called Canyon Sports on Saturday for 3 PPT's and they said they only do PPT's up to 1PM. We were running later than that so we went to Contra Costa Collectible Firearms in Walnut Creek that close at 6PM. I didn't even know Walnut Creek had a gun store. Very friendly folks there with a lot of goodies to check out.

PressCheck
06-01-2009, 4:33 PM
I called Canyon Sports on Saturday for 3 PPT's and they said they only do PPT's up to 1PM. We were running later than that so we went to Contra Costa Collectible Firearms in Walnut Creek that close at 6PM. I didn't even know Walnut Creek had a gun store. Very friendly folks there with a lot of goodies to check out.

Understand that a Fire Arms Dealer is in the business to Sell Fire Arms. PPT's are a mandated Courtesy..

CS had been Successfully in business for almost 20 years, and the business is still growing Big Time.

If you can go Somewhere else, and get the PPT done quickly; I'd submit that that FFL does not have not much business.

In spite, of what you think of Zach, and his "ink"; he's a exceptionally good firearms salesman.

There is a number of CAL GUNNERS that know who I am! If you think that I'm FOS; BRING IT ON.

QuarterBoreGunner
06-01-2009, 6:09 PM
PMs sent to all involved... and you know who you are.

BayArea88
09-05-2009, 7:03 PM
I will never go to this place again. Felt like I was not wanted there as soon as I walked in the door the fat white trash biker lookin dude was giving me a lot of dirty looks and made me feel very uncomfortable Rons a good guy but thats about the only positive thing I can say about this place. I dont understand why Ron keeps this ******* around giving his shop a bad rep. Also prices are so high its almost funny. NEVER AGAIN:mad:

yoteassasin
09-05-2009, 9:22 PM
Understand that a Fire Arms Dealer is in the business to Sell Fire Arms. PPT's are a mnadated Courtesy..

CS had been Successfully in business for almost 20 years, and the business is still growing Big Time.

If you can go Somewhere else, and get the PPT done quickly; I'd submit that that FFL does not have not much business.

In spite, of what you think of Zach, and his "ink"; he's a exceptionally good firearms salesman.

There is a number of CAL GUNNERS that know who I am! If you think that I'm FOS; BRING IT ON.

oh yea CS is Such an awesome store they don't even need to do ppt's.....:26: .canyon sports exists on the good graces of the co co county SO.. and until that changes they will still be around.. yes Ron is a great guy but the staff are some thing else.. there was one kid that impressed me though. and Zack or whatever that choad's name is, is a tool and a complete bully. if it works ok there are plenty other shops in the area that will stomp all over their prices and customer service and the selection is moot just order it for a better price somewhere else

bruceflinch
09-05-2009, 9:48 PM
Zach is a foulmouthed, blowhard gun pusher. He is no Salesman. I bought 7 guns from Ron when he was in the 1st store. I've bought one since he moved to the Big Box. Some of their policies are ridiculous, ( like no price quotes on the phone) I go in twice a year to look at the inventory & maybe buy some Hoppes. That's it.

I've talked to Ron about Zach. His suggestion; "Come in on Sundays & deal w/ me" Sorry, I have to spend my money on my terms.

offdeez
09-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Okay I'll chime in. Canyon is a joke and so are some of the workers. They have a lot of stuff but the prices are stupid high. The customer service is / was non-existant and they treated me like I was a jerk. I sat there and listened to the above mentioned worker tell a story about how he stabbed someone blah, blah, blah and laughed to myself as I thought what am I doing here and why would I take any of my $$$$ in there. Needless to say, I left and will never go back. Stay away from Canyon, stay far far away. Behavior you permit, you promote, and I think better of myself than to let anyone treat me foul. Just my .02 cents

joepamjohn
09-07-2009, 9:00 AM
My thoughts are, the poor Customer Service, attitudes, and high prices causing this bad reputation will be the end of them one day. There are more negative comments always posted in any thread about CS (and there have been quite a few of them) and that is a good measuring stick for what the real "buying public" thinks about the place.

Heres a real quick "potential customers comments" count of this thread:

Positive comments 18
Negative comments (not including my own) 52
Neutral comments 9

For those that like CS and have positive experiences, more power to you, keep supporting them.If I am wrong in my comments then there is nothing to worry about.

I believe that they simply can't continue to survive in this economy with all of the negative selling practices they offer.It won't matter how many years they have been around,just take a look at how many busineses have closed down in this economy that were once doing well.They will be no different if they continue to operate the way they currently do. Yes, CS has been around for almost 20 years,but a good 19 of those have been in "the good times" when there was more spare funds and people spent more freely.That has all changed in the last year or so, and "tightening the belt" will continue as people make more informed choices about what they want to buy, and where they want to buy it.

People now are smarter,more informed,and more motivated to stretch their hard earned dollars further and they will spend them at a place that makes them feel like they made the right choice. CS does not offer that to the overwhelming majority of the public. The minority of satisfied customers ultimatley in the end will not be able to pay Ron's bills unless he evolves and make some real changes.

I would hate to see another gun store in California close down but currently I will do nothing (buy from them) to help CS. If they change some people and attitudes,I will again support them and I would also bet a good part of the folks in this forum would give them another try too.

I hope Ron is listening.

s30
09-18-2009, 8:55 PM
Zack is a *****. He knows everything and you know nothing. He is nothing but an incompetent punk.

In late 07 I went in with cash in hand wanting to buy a black rifle. Be it AK or AR. I was scoffed at by Zack and was told those are "illegal, you cant get them in CA, you know nothing, blah blah blah fud fud fud, buy this keltec, it will be a great starter gun" Insulting, being the fact Im a former US Army Military Policeman and a combat vet. Now they sell all the "evil and illegal" OLL's.

Kevin Smith gets my dollar every time in Martinez. I hope CS go's under.

norcal77
09-19-2009, 1:07 AM
Zack is a *****. He knows everything and you know nothing. He is nothing but an incompetent punk.

In late 07 I went in with cash in hand wanting to buy a black rifle. Be it AK or AR. I was scoffed at by Zack and was told those are "illegal, you cant get them in CA, you know nothing, blah blah blah fud fud fud, buy this keltec, it will be a great starter gun" Insulting, being the fact Im a former US Army Military Policeman and a combat vet. Now they sell all the "evil and illegal" OLL's.

+1..anytime I've been there the selection has been horrible. the guy you mentioned is a know it all and all the employees seem to carry the holy than thou attitude...

pl408
09-19-2009, 7:05 AM
yes I remember those day's, your only choices there were m1a's and kel tec's and any time you talked about oll ar's he would jump all over you or ignore you depending on his mood, and only after the place in pleasant hill started selling them they jumped on the wagon and now they claim to have the best rifles around with the price tag to prove it
I was in there when they received a shipment of bulletbuttons and asked if I could purchase one and they replied with that will be fortyfive bucks
needless to say I have bought nothing black rifle related there and plan on keeping it that way
I also love the fact that this thread keeps on going and going :rofl2:

Jason762
09-19-2009, 8:53 AM

+1! Kevin Smith is the man!

s30
09-19-2009, 11:44 AM
yes I remember those day's, your only choices there were m1a's and kel tec's and any time you talked about oll ar's he would jump all over you or ignore you depending on his mood

Dont even get me started on the M1as. I asked to see one and Zach stated if I was going to buy it, I could hold it. Great customer service!

bruceflinch
09-19-2009, 2:08 PM

I just called there last week & was told they had no AR parts. Oh well, I spent my money at the Gun Show in Vallejo instead.

Kevin Smith is Da Man!

gef
09-19-2009, 2:35 PM
Ok, who's Kevin Smith?

pl408
09-19-2009, 4:36 PM
Kevin Smith FFL Martinez
very knowledgeable on the black rifles especially AK's
super cool guy!

joepamjohn
09-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Kevin Smith FFL Martinez
very knowledgeable on the black rifles especially AK's
super cool guy!

Any contact info for him?

Always nice to have another option.

Thanks

s30
09-20-2009, 12:47 PM
yep. PM sent.

NotEnoughGuns
09-20-2009, 4:40 PM
I went into that store.... ONCE...

joepamjohn
09-20-2009, 7:19 PM
I really wonder if Ron Kennedy (owner) has any idea that the overwhelming majority of the comments of experiences in any thread about his shop are negative? I mean,this same thread started in March and is still coming back due to more negative feedback.

People pay huge money to get this kind of feedback about their business so they can look for avenues to increase sales.

It is not just on CG that you hear this. Just Saturday I was down at one of the last "real" guns stores in the bay area (Contra Costa Firearms) Shamless Plug!

A guy came in there and was looking at some rifles (didn't pay attention to the models) since he had just come from Canyon Sports. He was in utter amazement about the way he was treated there (very poorly). That dialog got another customer started in who had some similar comments and experiences.

What I can say is that the guy that came from CS had his check book out and one of the employees was gathering the DRO's paperwork up when I was leaving. In other words, Canyon Sports lost that sale.

I can't see anyone competing with Canyon Sports if Ron were to make some personel changes. He apparently is (for the time being) doing a good enough amount of business to keep the lights on and feed that cave troll Zack,but imagine if he had some employees that treated you like a customer and not a problem. Ron could just sit on a beach and watch the bank account grow and grow.

tommyid1
09-20-2009, 7:31 PM
im going to print out this entire thread tomorrow at work and drop it off in a manilla folder attn ron kennedy

TRICKSTER
09-20-2009, 7:42 PM
Been to Canyon Sports three times, each time I got the impression that I was bothering them by entering their store. I now take my business to J&R's in Livermore. It's twice as far from my house, but they have always been helpful and make you feel welcome.

s30
09-20-2009, 7:44 PM
That would be fabulous, I hope it makes an impact on Ron to see how CS is viewed in the east bay mainly because of ONE person.

Rem222
09-20-2009, 8:35 PM
+1! Kevin Smith is the man!

I agree, a good guy and has always treated me right....

joepamjohn
09-20-2009, 8:39 PM
im going to print out this entire thread tomorrow at work and drop it off in a manilla folder attn ron kennedy

That's a great idea. Just don't give it to Zack when you drop it off. :D

I have a feeling this will be an eye opener for Ron. I know he thinks Zack is a harmless "blow hard", but it is far more than that and this thread proves it.

joepamjohn
09-30-2009, 5:23 PM

Well.....Did you do it ?

I went in there with a non-gun owner friend of mine yesterday just to see if anything had possibly changed. NOPE! Still the same old story.

Zack asked me what I wanted (not if he could help me), and when I said I was looking for the moment and did not immediatley pull out a wad of cash, he was done with me. He never offered to show me anything or even ask what I was looking for. In fact he never made eye contact with me again. I was really expecting the "hard sale" line of BS like he normally does, and was really ready to play the game with him. I was disappointed for another reason.

My buddy asked me on the way out (completely unsolicited) what the deal with the employee (Zack) was. We then had a number of laugh's at Zack's and Ron's expense I am sad to say on the way home.

Hydrogenmaker
10-25-2009, 1:51 PM
Went in there last week for the first time to buy ammo. There was about 5 people already in there, and in the time I was there, there were probably 10 more in/out. Zack was holding court the whole time, blathering on about politics and guns to anyone who'd look at him. Personally, I thought he was funny... full of crap... but funny. His views are extreme, but, he showed me something with Glocks that I hadn't seen before, that could save me money if I decide to go the route he showed me. While I definitely agree with most that if you don't feel comfortable in a business, you shouldn't give them your hard earned cash. Me? Felt like I was back in the Goat Locker aboard a Destroyer steaming in the Gulf. Definitely not a place for the faint of heart or weak intestinal fortitude. I say, give it back to him in spades, and watch him back down. He seemed to appreciate the push-back. I was in Bass Pro Shop last month in Manteca, and CS had a better selection of ammo. BPS was pretty much picked clean of anything, save for shotgun shells. I've bought a gun at J&R in Livermore, from Rich, and they are very cool in there for sure. Same with the guys in Dom's, although very small selection. I didn't like Antioch Armory, due to the clientel that was there that day. As for CS? I bought a gun there that day. Was it the best price? I'm sure I could have done better, but, it was there and so was I and sometimes you just have to say WTF.

Yes, this is my first post. Take it for what it's worth. I'm glad I didn't read this post, errr THREAD - before last week, I prolly would be light one gun now!

joepamjohn
10-25-2009, 2:31 PM
Went in there last week for the first time to buy ammo. There was about 5 people already in there, and in the time I was there, there were probably 10 more in/out. Zack was holding court the whole time, blathering on about politics and guns to anyone who'd look at him. Personally, I thought he was funny... full of crap... but funny. His views are extreme, but, he showed me something with Glocks that I hadn't seen before, that could save me money if I decide to go the route he showed me. While I definitely agree with most that if you don't feel comfortable in a business, you shouldn't give them your hard earned cash. Me? Felt like I was back in the Goat Locker aboard a Destroyer steaming in the Gulf. Definitely not a place for the faint of heart or weak intestinal fortitude. I say, give it back to him in spades, and watch him back down. He seemed to appreciate the push-back. I was in Bass Pro Shop last month in Manteca, and CS had a better selection of ammo. BPS was pretty much picked clean of anything, save for shotgun shells. I've bought a gun at J&R in Livermore, from Rich, and they are very cool in there for sure. Same with the guys in Dom's, although very small selection. I didn't like Antioch Armory, due to the clientel that was there that day. As for CS? I bought a gun there that day. Was it the best price? I'm sure I could have done better, but, it was there and so was I and sometimes you just have to say WTF.

Yes, this is my first post. Take it for what it's worth. I'm glad I didn't read this post, errr THREAD - before last week, I prolly would be light one gun now!

Sounds like Ron Kennedy has hired a PR man to post here.:D

Hydrogenmaker
10-25-2009, 7:10 PM
I read the entire thread, so, clearly I now know who Ron is. I'd also read some other postings on other internet discussions about CS, and had heard of their "rep" as *****holes. I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt and find out for myself (and... I needed ammo, so, circumstances dictate your options). Yup, they're very difficult people in that shop, but, after watching for awhile, I realized that you can push back and Zach takes it as well as he dishes it out. It's just like radio or the TV, you have options when you land on a channel you don't like. With CS, there is options as well, it's called the front door! Personally, they don't hold a candle to the way I've treated some people in my past, so, who am I to judge?

BTW, does the PR position pay well??? :43:

OHOD
11-02-2009, 3:44 PM
I've bought a few firearms from them and have found them helpful. They have been fair, but as with any business they use their own unique sales techniques.

When I bought my first revolver from them, the owner (I think he was an owner) told me to grab a big handful of ear plugs. When I bought my M&P 40 the same guy gave me a box of 50 rounds and 20 rounds of .223.

Whenever I need a learning moment, they are willing to teach.

All in all, I shop there often, but..............I'm a girl and that may have something to do with it.

Lately, since money is tight, I have been looking for the best buy in the area. After all, it's a free market system.

joepamjohn
11-02-2009, 4:13 PM
Whenever I need a learning moment, they are willing to teach.

but..............I'm a girl and that may have something to do with it.

Gee you think? :confused:

OHOD
11-02-2009, 5:57 PM
You know what I think is really at the core of it, selling product and making money.
Nothing wrong with that, but after being a customer for a while I think I understand how they roll.

Those that want suck-up salesmanship, probably aren't going to get it.
Those that have knowledge and aren't afraid to share their opinion will enjoy shopping there.

But then again, free market prevails and the big box in Modesto has been getting my $$ lately.

Joe
11-02-2009, 6:06 PM
You know what I think is really at the core of it, selling product and making money.
Nothing wrong with that, but after being a customer for a while I think I understand how they roll.

Those that want suck-up salesmanship, probably aren't going to get it.
Those that have knowledge and aren't afraid to share their opinion will enjoy shopping there.

But then again, free market prevails and the big box in Modesto has been getting my $$ lately.

The guys that I've encountered there are rude, dishonest, obnoxious, and condescending. I don't expect or prefer suck-up salesmanship, but I do expect to somewhat, slightly enjoy my experience. So far I've only been able to leave feeling completely annoyed.

You're correct though, its a free market. That being said, I look forward to the day they go out of business.

Seesm
11-02-2009, 8:26 PM
All the complaining about this shop are just the same as I have of my local shops...

MOST shops just suck and do not even have any CLUE of what customer service...

I hate to feel I am bugging people when I am spending MY hard earned money... I walk fast when that happens...

Mickey D
12-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Well, perhaps this thread was viewed by Ron or the rest of the staff at CS. As I said, my last visit this past Friday was good.
I will say Zach asked if I'm on CalGuns and if I post. Something is happening IMO.

BusBoy
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
I and my wife purchased guns there in early November... I knew what I wanted and the price that they were in the area. A young kid helped me out the first time and I did walk away with a Kimber @ just below MSRP... I took the wife after I got my gun and she was jazzed to check it out... went there with my 3 month old daughter... lol... I could tell they were trying to be quiet... zach REALLY had to tone it down... the guys voice does have the tone. Anyway... the wife bought a Glock 17 after being showed many different guns... zach said pick each one up and tell me which one feels the most comfortable in your hand. She did that and ended up with the Glock. SO Zach being a salesman pitched the 22 conversion for the 17 which I was looking at ordering for my Kimber he knocked off $100 for the kit... not bad if I say so myself. Yes I did check what the conversions were going for (gotta love the internet on my phone)

The one thing that I think my wife had going for her... she worked construction management and fired back and had no issues with matching foul mouth with foul mouth... for what its worth I thnk Zach respects that. Then again shes a chick!

Ill probably go back to CS... its about 10 minutes away. If Zach is a *****... ill tell him I feel that way remind him of the business ive done and leave it at that... if he chooses to go the route of not caring so be it... sales is sales... I dont hold ill will to anyone doing their job and being pushy... man up , pick up your skirt and tell them you feel pushed and dont want to make a bad decision.

Zach did mention CalGuns... lol... said he was the Anti-Christ if you believed everything that was said. When we picked up the Glock after its jail time. Zac remembered the wife... he went right into character with her walked her through how to change out the 22 upper and didnt let her leave till she could do it cleanly.

all in all... I had a pleasant one there... for now, they have my business.

joepamjohn
12-30-2009, 6:40 AM
This thread is like herpes...Just won't go away. :sleeping:

BusBoy
12-30-2009, 8:19 AM
This thread is like herpes...Just won't go away. :sleeping:

Sorry guys, just a noob commenting. Hope thats not an issue. If I was a new poster here and was interested in visiting Canyon Sports id be interested in reading some of the comments that are posted here. Both the good and the bad.

rkt88edmo
12-30-2009, 8:34 AM
and the recent - always good to hear new experiences even if they are the same old same old

sixtus
12-11-2014, 7:28 AM
I thought I'd toss this in the thread where it belongs, and it's a more recent experience.

Bought my first handgun from the store about six months ago (June/July of 2014). Don't recall this "Zack" person being there, or if I ran into him at all. The store is well stocked, and when I drove past it several times trying to find the damn place, I called the store to ask for directions (telling them where I was at the time). They let me know it was the pinkish building near the landscaping company. Phone call wasn't overly polite (like how modern customer service demands these days), but it wasn't assholish either. A good blend in my opinion.

Walked into the store and was surprised at the selection they had. I looked around and saw that their attendants were busy, but I got the attention of one and asked "When you have a moment.", just letting them know that I wasn't another browser. As I waited, I looked at their selection on my own and petted the dogs (well-behaved, which was very nice).

When they got to me (about fifteen minutes later), I told them what I was looking for and my price range. They walked me through what they had that was good in my price range (about 400-500). I looked at a RIA 1911 as what I was generically looking for, but noted that it was pretty heavy (I know, shut up). So they took me over to the Sig-Sauer case and brought out a SP2022, along with a few other Sigs (I don't recall what they were at the time). I tested the grip on each one, seeing how it felt in my hand and asked the occasional question, having it answered satisfactorily. Ended up buying the SP2022 and a spare mag (damn mags are expensive too no matter where I look) and walked out a fairly happy customer.

They were patient, knowledgeable and polite with me. Not overbearingly polite, I know when that gets run on me (I have to do it often enough myself) which is a plus.

It was, overall, a comfortable experience.

BigPimping
12-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Zach is the best salesman that Polishmike ever had. I will never shop there again. Zach is as rude as the day is long and borderline intimidating. Prices are also sky high.....

tonyxcom
12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
This store is less than 15 minutes from me and I've never bothered to go because of all the horor stories I've read. There are probably 5 times as many gun owners in CA that don't bother to post or read drama on the internet and that is how these shops stay open.

Click Boom
12-11-2014, 3:02 PM
I hear it helps to be in the Aryan Brotherhood. Lol.

semitch
12-11-2014, 4:52 PM
Haven't been in that store for probably 8 years because of the past service I received. I've been spending my money through Kevin Smith or Triple A in Vallejo. CS obviously makes money or they wouldn't be here but they would have made a lot more over the years if they had better customer service.

Iskra
12-12-2014, 7:48 AM
I mostly go to Canyon for the comedy, but sometimes I buy something. You guys who get your panties in a twist apparently don't know how to look another grown man in the eye and tell him he's wrong.

G-Man WC
12-12-2014, 8:14 AM
I have not been inside in years at Canyon.
The Russians at CityArms get the bulk of my business now. That reminds me, I have an H&K that needs to be picked up today. --g

BigPimping
12-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I mostly go to Canyon for the comedy, but sometimes I buy something. You guys who get your panties in a twist apparently don't know how to look another grown man in the eye and tell him he's wrong.

People will only treat you badly if you let them. I choose to be treated well. So I go to Tracy Rifle or City Arms East.

tonyxcom
12-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Haven't been in that store for probably 8 years because of the past service I received. I've been spending my money through Kevin Smith or Triple A in Vallejo. CS obviously makes money or they wouldn't be here but they would have made a lot more over the years if they had better customer service.

I live in Vallejo but buy most of my guns about an hour away. The customer service at Triple A is fantastic. The new location is great. But their prices have always been on the higher if not highest side for things I was looking for. They started doing SSE this year or late last, but they mark up those guns pretty high. I don't know if they still won't quote prices on the phone.

They always have a pretty decent selection, a pretty well stocked store of full of accessories, have always been fairly efficient during several PPT's I have done there, and have so far been 2 for 2 on Blue Label Glocks (GSSF) I was looking for at the time and I will continue to use them for those purchases.

They are also the favorite shop of most of the LEO in the area so it's always nice to see uniforms in the store (at least for me :) ).

I am glad they are doing well.

I have used Kevin Smith in the past and have no complaints but Matt at Fairfield Pawn is a LOT cheaper for internet transfers ($20).

Moral of the story, lots of good shops in the area and beyond.

Pauliedad
12-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Zach is a joke.
Too many other shops worth driving to.

oddball
12-12-2014, 7:36 PM
I have made the egregious mistake of buying a firearm from Canyon, along with some accessories. They were the only one within a certain distance that had it in stock. And I have visited the shop one other time.

The shop employs highly incompetent employees, especially one extremely obnoxious and rude salesman who has the gun knowledge of a retard. Anybody who defends this disaster of a retail shop must be a beaten wife that wants more.

As a small business owner, I find it flabbergasting that this store remains in operation.

I have purchased firearms and related items from dozens of vendors, local, state, and national. I have visited CA shops from San Francisco Armory (remember them?), to Traders, to Riflegear, to City Arms, etc. etc.

Canyon takes the all-time booby prize. I'd rather spend 20% more and drive 50 miles more than deal with these incompetents. I had to wipe the filth off of me leaving their store. My one only regret in the firearms vendor field. One of the worst retail experiences.

skosh69
12-12-2014, 7:58 PM
I've bought 3 pistols from Canyon Sports along with countless other items.

While Zach can be abrasive, I've never had a problem with him or any of the staff.

Say what you will, I'll continue to shop there.

MrOrange
12-13-2014, 7:02 PM
Not to resort to hyperbole, but I'd rather make a gun with a piece of steel and a file than go to Canyon Sports.