PDA

View Full Version : Question for SF Bay area residents

Fat_Rat
03-16-2009, 6:57 PM
I know you can transport a gun in a locked container. But does the same apply when you are riding in BART. I dont whant to conceal carry just trasnport in BART from point A to B. I know it safer to drive to my destination but its during morning commute and I would rather avoid it. Thanks.

PorkLover
03-16-2009, 7:20 PM
don't know.....better to ask Bart PD......if you are one of the few lucky ones in the Bay with a CCW, why not carry concealed?.....

hoffmang
03-16-2009, 7:45 PM
Unless there is something in the BART regs, the general Penal Code will allow you to carry from home to work over BART in a locked container where the firearm is unloaded.

-Gene

Rudolf the Red
03-16-2009, 7:54 PM
If you don't knock over a liquor store on the way, it shouldn't be a problem.

berto
03-16-2009, 8:05 PM
I've transported on BART between the gun shop and my house. There's no way for BART to know. Just don't fall asleep or advertise and you should be fine.

tgriffin
03-16-2009, 8:05 PM
Unless there is something in the BART regs, the general Penal Code will allow you to carry from home to work over BART in a locked container where the firearm is unloaded.

-Gene

Yes there is a provision within BART regs against possession of weapons. Highly suggest you avoid any situation in which possible encounter with BART police could turn up a firearm. Will not end well for you.

mecam
03-16-2009, 8:09 PM
I know you can transport a gun in a locked container. But does the same apply when you are riding in BART. I dont whant to conceal carry just trasnport in BART from point A to B. I know it safer to drive to my destination but its during morning commute and I would rather avoid it. Thanks.

Just don't pull an Oscar Grant and you'll be fine. ;)

BigDogatPlay
03-16-2009, 8:29 PM
Yes there is a provision within BART regs against possession of weapons. Highly suggest you avoid any situation in which possible encounter with BART police could turn up a firearm. Will not end well for you.

Link please?

QuarterBoreGunner
03-16-2009, 8:36 PM

Cold man... really cold.

Trader Jack
03-16-2009, 9:33 PM
Cold man... really cold.

Cold but true:chris:

Pvt. Cowboy
03-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Heheh... probably is.

I brought my collapsible stock Hk91 on BART from Oakland airport inside a gym bag once, though. :D

TRICKSTER
03-17-2009, 2:21 AM

:fud:

pingpong
03-17-2009, 8:22 AM
If you're really paranoid about it, you could always strip it and carry it disassembled (though I'm not sure if that's any better). If anyone asks, just say the case is for your tools :p.

sargenv
03-17-2009, 8:33 AM
I see people carrying tools on bart all the time. There was this one construction worker carrying what could only be described as a large pointed object. I think he used it for lining up girders and it was about that size and I think may have had a wrench end on it. He took the train the same time as I did every morning and he was never hassled.

I think so long as you have it in a locked container, it is unloaded, and are not brandishing or otherwise calling notice to yourself, you will likely not be hassled. It is not like there are any metal detectors on the trains or in the stations. Bart PD has better things to do than hassle patrons that mind their own business.

QuarterBoreGunner
03-17-2009, 8:36 AM
I see people carrying tools on bart all the time.
Yup; tools, rolling tool caddies, bicycles, groceries, back-packs, brief cases, etc. I'd imagine if your discreet, you won't have a problem.

will227457
03-17-2009, 9:04 AM

LOL...yeah you might get poped by the police....literally

Fat_Rat
03-17-2009, 6:40 PM
If you're really paranoid about it, you could always strip it and carry it disassembled (though I'm not sure if that's any better). If anyone asks, just say the case is for your tools :p.

I may just do take that route. Thank you.

glockmeister
03-17-2009, 8:22 PM
i ride bart daily. noticed a guy heading to the SFO with one carry on and a few gun cases. if you own a gun, i am pretty sure you know what gun cases look like. nobody questioned him, but then again, this was 5:30 am on a weekday.

chiz
03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
I see people carrying tools on bart all the time. There was this one construction worker carrying what could only be described as a large pointed object. I think he used it for lining up girders and it was about that size and I think may have had a wrench end on it.

its called a spud wrench.

Vectrexer
03-18-2009, 12:21 AM
As one who has PERSONALLY ridden on BART several times with a pistol and ammo I can tell you low key is the way to go. The pistol was unloaded of course. It was carried in a locked case

As for carrying a rifle strapped on,, I have not tried that yet. Don't know the regs related to using public transportation (BART MUNI, etc) but I would guess they are the same as airlines.

I do remember this topic being covered before here on CGN. But don't have the thread handy. I think the result was more or less the same thoughts about locked transport.

I am going to send the question off in email to BART and see what they have to say. Will post follow up later.

hoffmang
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
On quick searches of BART.gov, I'm not seeing any particular restrictions.

-Gene

Canute
03-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I carry my hardware around (locked, of course) in a Pelican case inside of a book bag I got for company schwag.
Someone had commented to me that it was a good idea to be discrete and not use anything that looked tacticool.
For me it was just what I had around to carry in :).
Wow, it makes me feel defenseless to carry like that, although I'd probably be more likely to put up a fight if I got rolled.

Steve O
03-18-2009, 1:17 PM
I know this.

A locked container on you, in your car, in your home. Demonstrates a "right to reasonable privacy" and is subject to a search warrant if LEO wants to break the locks to search it. A hidden compartment in your vehicle however is prohibited.

They may try to get you to voluntary "open your brief case, or we will detain you" but in reality a judge won't just hand out a search warrant for your brief case. Unless circumstances such as previous convictions, plus drugs dogs indicate their may be something illegal in there.

Davidwhitewolf
03-18-2009, 1:26 PM
One of our former employees went on to bigger & better things as a BART cop. I'll see if I can track him down and ask what the powers that be at BART told him about this subject.

FWIW, I commuted for several years between home and office on BART with an unloaded J-frame in a locked container buried in my man-purse. I looked hard for any restriction but couldn't find one then either.

Fat_Rat
03-18-2009, 7:50 PM
Thank u all for your help. :)

dwtt
03-18-2009, 9:43 PM
Just use a guitar case that locks. It's simple.

SJgunguy24
03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
its called a spud wrench.

Thank you.

I asked a BART cop about this once, he told me if we don't know then who cares.