PDA

View Full Version : AK problem

B.D.Dubloon
03-16-2009, 2:23 PM
:( I just finished building my (first) AK a couple days ago and took it to the range. It isn't working right. It doesn't cycle all the way. The bolt carrier gets hung up on it's way forward after going back all the way after firing. I initially thought it was getting hung up on the horizontal support post (probably not the right term) but I took that out and it still didn't fix the problem. It seems that the trigger group is pushing up on the bolt carrier and causing it to get pushed up and hit the lip at the top of the receiver where it can come out. Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you fix it? It doesn't have a problem when I cycle it by hand, only when I am shooting it.

Thanks,
BDD

kakpataka
03-16-2009, 2:49 PM
I am a newbie my self ...........the center thing is called the center support.
It does sound like the hammer is causing the problem unless it is really the center support. When you pull the bolt all the way back, dont release it like you normally would but instead, let is ride gently and see where it gets stuck.
That way you can narrow it down to hammer or the CS. I dont think it is CS that is causing the problem though.
I had a similar issue but it went away as it was not "stucking" that bad. and this is what I was told:
"The Tapco flat leaves the hammer a bit high. Use plenty of oil and break-in the new hammer. If that doesn't do it, the opening in the receiver might be too large and the bolt carrier is popping out at the end of it's travel due to the rear trunnion being too far to the rear. If this is the case a recoil buffer added to the recoil spring can get it working. Hopefully it's just because of the new hammer. You can remove the hammer and polish the hammer face. Some people also remove up to 0.040" from the hammer face but save that for last. Try some oil and shooting first. __________________"

Hope this helps!

SJgunguy24
03-16-2009, 3:03 PM
I know on my Saiga conversions the bolt carrier rubs on the hammer as it's cycling. Never gets hung up though. I also polished the hell out of the hammer and the bolt carrier where the contact is made.

B.D.Dubloon
03-16-2009, 3:21 PM
I have a couple of old hammers so if I need to try any shaving I will do it on one of those first. I'll try polishing it (with a dremel buffer and some compound right?) and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks,
BDD

kakpataka
03-16-2009, 3:24 PM
I have a couple of old hammers so if I need to try any shaving I will do it on one of those first. I'll try polishing it (with a dremel buffer and some compound right?) and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks,
BDD

U be faine................. the CS is not the culprit! happy shooting.

SJgunguy24
03-16-2009, 3:32 PM

Thanks,
BDD

Yeah, you could try magic marker on the parts that you think are rubbing.

Maybe try fine grit stone to lose a little material and then polish.