PDA

View Full Version : Grandfathers will

pantera52
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
My grandfather has left me all of his guns in his will. What do I do with those that may be illegal when I get them?

paintballergb
03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
My grandfather has left me all of his guns in his will. What do I do with those that may be illegal when I get them?

What kind of illegal are we talking about?

B.D.Dubloon
03-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Encouraging illegal activity is not ok, don't do it ~ rkt

pantera52
03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Not sure. He hasn't passed away yet but I know with the good ol Cali laws a hand full will be illegal. He is retired SFPD and picked up a lot of guns for a lot of years.

domokun
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Don't tell anyone and be careful where you use them.

BZZZZZ...wrong. If they're not legal to own in CA due to CA AW laws, then store them somewhere out of state where you have access to them. Do not keep them in the state!

Please clarify what you mean by "may be illegal".

Not sure. He hasn't passed away yet but I know with the good ol Cali laws a hand full will be illegal. He is retired SFPD and picked up a lot of guns for a lot of years.

If he hasn't passed away yet, then now would be a good time to take the CA AW ID flowchart and then go through his stuff with him to make sure that anything he has it isn't on the named banned list of AWs. If it isn't on the banned list, then anything else should be legal for you to keep short of stuff like a SBS/SBR that requires a NFA trust + tax stamp. If anything he has happens to be on the banned list, then arrangements should be made as to where to store/sell such items out of state within 90 days of his passing.

paintballergb
03-15-2009, 10:43 PM

Well it's hard to say. Some of the things might be able to been made legal.

pantera52
03-15-2009, 10:52 PM
What I mean by "may be illegal" is I'm not 100% sure exactly what he has. Thank you all for the advise.

gcvt
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Hard to tell you much without knowing what's in his collection. Once you can give descriptions and/or photos, I guarantee you the information will flow and it will be spot-on :)

lorax3
03-15-2009, 11:09 PM
As far as handguns goes, fill out this form. Intra-Family transfers are exempt from the CA handgun roster ( If that is what you meant by not legal.)

Only use this form if your grandfather lives in CA, if he doesn't, then you MUST go through an FFL for all firearm transfers (federal requirement, not state)

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

If the weapons you refer to are "assault weapons" are were never registered you have another issue.

His standing as an LEO may help you out a little bit, honestly I am not yet armed with the knowledge on transfers of registered of assault weapons.

Call the DOJ, although take what they say with a grain of salt. They have been known to mis-lead on more than one occasion.

-lorax

sorensen440
03-15-2009, 11:10 PM
hard to say without knowing the specifics on what you mean by not legal

Seesm
03-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Go to gramps... and say:

"Hey so when you die what am I gettin"?

Say it just like that I bet he will be pumped... :( Just kidding....

I say this cuz my 8 yr old says it to me... "Hey Dad when you die is this my gun"? :)

My 5 year old never asks but all he likes is my .40 Springfield.... funny. (SOOOO he get's them ALL) :) :)

packnrat
03-16-2009, 1:27 AM
FIRST: if any gun is not leagle do not talk about it on line.:o

Second: just make sure any and all guns you recive in ca are legal. ;)
(gp was a cop so it makes a lot of them legal):thumbsup:

THIRD: have a place out of state to store them.:chris:

.:TFH:

bruss01
03-16-2009, 6:08 AM
Handguns are no problem, as another poster said, just Inter family transfer and you're okey dokey.

The only place where you'd run into an issue is with an AW or AW configuration. If it's actually banned by name, then just purchase a non-named receiver and transfer all the goodies from the AW receiver onto the new legal one. Take the original banned receiver out of state right away, and store it with friends or family OOS. Check all his semi-autos that may be AW's by configuration, and either install a Bullet button or remove ALL evil features (see the flowchart, and follow it in the re-builds). Since Gramps isn't cold yet, you have a window to find out what he has, and purchase enough BB's and spare lowers in advance, so that when he is on his last legs you can go and retrofit everything and prevent it from being destroyed by LE. Just a thought.

TKM
03-16-2009, 6:58 AM
Have you considered asking him for advice?

A chance to talk guns with my grandfather would have been great.

Nodda Duma
03-16-2009, 8:03 AM
Have you considered asking him for advice?

A chance to talk guns with my grandfather would have been great.

+100000. I wish I had really gotten into collecting before he had passed away. I would have loved to talk guns with him..he had such a beautiful milsurp collection. Grandma still has his Tommy Gun.

-Jason

DocSkinner
03-16-2009, 8:10 AM
+100000. I wish I had really gotten into collecting before he had passed away. I would have loved to talk guns with him..he had such a beautiful milsurp collection. Grandma still has his Tommy Gun.

-Jason

Now that is a break-in buster - some punk staring down Grandma with a Tommy gun in her hands! LOL - gonna have that image in my head all day now!

DocSkinner
03-16-2009, 8:16 AM
Definitely talk now and see what he says. You can also probably PM a few of the experienced people on here with a list and they might be able to help, and you don't have to go public with it - or pm some of the friendly transfer vendors.