PDA

View Full Version : anyone try making a home made safe?

luisdeleon
03-15-2009, 10:01 PM
have been searching about safes and have come up with pretty much a blank
but what i have been thinking is of making one, concrete walls reinforced with steel. 1/2"-3/8" steel door, hinges can be made or bought. maby a layer of steel on the outside, just the locking mechanism is a blurr. i am a concrete worker and a welder so making it wont be a problem and am not looking for a quick access either, just something to lock up my guns, anyways just a thought see if anyone has done it or not. what you guys think?

luis

sorensen440
03-15-2009, 10:02 PM
I think it would cost more to make a decent safe then it would just to buy one.

luisdeleon
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
i beg to differ on that one it all about where you get your materials, plus, i haven't had a welding project in a while, but like i said, just some thoughts.

bombadillo
03-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Weak link will definitely be the locking mechanism. To get everything put in there and functional would take some serious engineering skills as well as a lot of time and money on quality parts. As stated probably break even and only have to carry it once.

packnrat
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM
I have seen a couple people try, cheeper to just buy one.

making the box and door is easy. but working up the rack and pinion to work the locking bars... is a intersting job to say the least.

got cnc time? and access to a assortment of gears?

good luck, and post photos when done.

ohsmily
03-15-2009, 10:28 PM
have been searching about safes and have come up with pretty much a blank
but what i have been thinking is of making one, concrete walls reinforced with steel. 1/2"-3/8" steel door, hinges can be made or bought. maby a layer of steel on the outside, just the locking mechanism is a blurr. i am a concrete worker and a welder so making it wont be a problem and am not looking for a quick access either, just something to lock up my guns, anyways just a thought see if anyone has done it or not. what you guys think?

luis

If you are intent on making a small vault room or really big safe using your welding/concrete skills, you should buy a commercially available vault door and incorporate it into your design for the walls, etc.

paintballergb
03-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I think it would cost more to make a decent safe then it would just to buy one.

Weak link will definitely be the locking mechanism.

Agree with you both.

Vinz
03-15-2009, 10:43 PM
I know you are budget minded but this would make the job a lot easier.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=134243&highlight=vault+door&page=3

vinz

luisdeleon
03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
don't get me wrong, i do plan i doing that when we buy our house. i was just thinking of a 6'x3'x2' safe

tlillard23
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
If you are just worried about smash and grab, take a look at how they enclosed locks on a knack (sp) box.
Or have a hole to stick your hand in and use a key to unlock. there are a few designs like this. that have the handle-cam-bolt mech on the inside. No handles on the outside, no room to pry on the lock or mech.

Use ceramic wool for fireproofing (use drywall to hold it in place).

Seesm
03-16-2009, 12:44 AM
I own a fabrication shop and want to do my own safe as well but the lock mechanism is for sure the only hold up.... It can be done reasonably after that I think....

ilbob
03-16-2009, 8:29 AM
The indoor range I shoot at has some homemade steel doors downrange.

They are in a homemade steel frame embedded in a concrete wall.

The hinges are homemade too, and it locks with a common padlock.

I do not believe anyone could easily break through this door, except by defeating the padlock which would not be especially difficult. The padlock and hasp could be protected by putting it inside a steel box so it would be difficult to get a bolt cutter blade on it.

Its ugly, and the door does not fit perfectly, but i think it would be easier to get through the concrete than the door.

A324
03-16-2009, 8:37 AM
I made a pistol safe out of an old toilet and installed it in my shop. Bolted to the floor complete with a roll of TP next to it. Looks like the real thing until you push the right latch to tip it sideways and reveal what appears to be a capped sewer pipe but in reality is a air-tight storage tube for at least 2 pistols.

paintballergb
03-16-2009, 8:45 AM
I made a pistol safe out of an old toilet and installed it in my shop. Bolted to the floor complete with a roll of TP next to it. Looks like the real thing until you push the right latch to tip it sideways and reveal what appears to be a capped sewer pipe but in reality is a air-tight storage tube for at least 2 pistols.

I want to see!

mcsoupman
03-16-2009, 8:55 AM
Could it be made like a c-train door? Once doors and stuff done you could fabricate a box to go over the lock and just padlock it then.

A324
03-16-2009, 10:15 AM
I want to see!

I'll take a pic and post it but in the meantime just imagine an ordinary looking john tucked away in the corner of small shop with 3/8" plywood halfwalls for 'privacy' For even more realism I installed a magazine rack with 'reading material'

Dr Rockso
03-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I'll take a pic and post it but in the meantime just imagine an ordinary looking john tucked away in the corner of small shop with 3/8" plywood halfwalls for 'privacy' For even more realism I installed a magazine rack with 'reading material'
You're not going to feel so clever when someone takes a dump in your safe :rofl2:

sorensen440
03-16-2009, 10:39 AM
You just defeated your hidden safe by posting what it is on the interwebz :thumbsup:

paintballergb
03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
You're not going to feel so clever when someone takes a dump in your safe :rofl2:

Lol. That can be solved very easily though. Just put some brown paint on the seat no one will go near that thing.

A324
03-16-2009, 11:57 AM

It's already happened, my 6 year old grandson used it then complained to his mother the toilet would not flush. Poor kid was afraid he would be in trouble for not leaving a clean bowl. :laugh:

Steve O
03-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Attic rafters make a good safe....
So does ammo can under the deck...

Bobotheclown
03-16-2009, 7:31 PM
It's already happened, my 6 year old grandson used it then complained to his mother the toilet would not flush. Poor kid was afraid he would be in trouble for not leaving a clean bowl. :laugh:

So if it isn't functional, how did you get it cleaned.... :eek:

jlmurphy
03-16-2009, 8:44 PM
It is difficult to design a manual locking system that can't be forced backwards or broken, but I used a cheap D.C. gearmotor to push the locking bars and 4 rotary 12 position switches in series for a combination lock. I built 3 of these over a 10 year span, no problems so far.

GuyW
03-16-2009, 8:54 PM
I have one that the previous owner had welded up at a shop, out of steel plate.

The 2 locks are external Masterlocks, where the locking bars are encased within the steel lock body (not sure the model number). There are thick welded on steel casings that surround the locks, with only enough room to slid the keys into place....

It can be defeated by a cutting torch....but so can the commercial ones....

DB2
03-16-2009, 9:50 PM
knack boxes work well. they can be beefed up, and supply alot of room.

GuyW
03-16-2009, 9:57 PM
I have one that the previous owner had welded up at a shop, out of steel plate.

The 2 locks are external Masterlocks, where the locking bars are encased within the lock body (not sure the model number). There are thick welded on steel casings that surround the locks, with only enough room to slid the keys into place....

It can be defeated by a cutting torch....but so can the commercial ones....

http://www.masterlock.com/apps/catalog/category.jsp?categoryId=HSL_3&target=commercial|security