PDA

View Full Version : Help me find one of these...

One Shot, One Dropped
03-15-2009, 9:34 PM
So, I was looking through a book about the evolution of the assault rifle today (don't get me started on how many of the shooters (mostly people who wrote it and their kids) did not have eye or ear protection), but I came accross a picture of a 1911 with the trigger guard removed (supposedly a custom ordered by some general to allow him easier access to the trigger).

Now, I need one of a few things:
1. Help me find a picture of this type of setup
2. Help me find out where to buy one
3. Help me find out who can modify one of mine like this if it isn't available

And, yes, I understand the risks associated with this, but I won't be carrying it, and it will be mainly a collector piece.

Eroland7
03-15-2009, 9:37 PM
Sounds kind of dangerous... escpecially holstering and drawing it... I'm sure there are many gunsmiths or machinists that could do a job in doing that for you if thats what you really want...

One Shot, One Dropped
03-15-2009, 9:42 PM
Sounds kind of dangerous... escpecially holstering and drawing it... I'm sure there are many gunsmiths or machinists that could do a job in doing that for you if thats what you really want...

Come on, Euroland.... If you read all of my initial post, you would see how I made note of said risks (and you can also see that I have no edited that post in any way).

One Shot, One Dropped
03-15-2009, 9:45 PM
Oh, and I meant novelty, not collector. I don't sell many guns, and I just kind of want something a little different to mess with from time to time...

dfletcher
03-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I've never seen one for sale, I suppose a gun store owner might have the same liability concerns as a gunsmith and that is of course an accidental shooting resulting in injury. I don't think it would be a difficult do it yourself. If the gun being modified was stainless steel I suppose it would be easier to match finishes.

You can call Tabor's and ask him if he'll do the work. I have an idea of what his answer will be, so you'll probably have to come up with a response or two regarding safety.

BTW, I have two handguns with no trigger guard - High Standard Derringer & a Bond Arms Derringer. But the HS has about a 20 lb & long trigger pull, the Bond is single action, requires the hammer be manually cocked for each shot.