View Full Version : DOJ help

03-15-2009, 2:17 PM
I recently received several guns including a 9mm hi power from a friend who passed away. His wife was the one who actullay gave the guns to me. I have no idea whether they are registered or not and really the only gun I am concered about is the 9mm. Would it be best to send in the $19 to DOJ and register it in my name? Any response will help me in this situation.

03-15-2009, 2:19 PM
Did this happen in CA?

03-15-2009, 2:38 PM
STOP! I'm going to make some assumptions here. First, both of you are in the same state which, in this case is California. Second, she has given you thse firearms but, you have not taken possession of them yet. Now, to take possession of these firearms you both must go to your local FFL and PPT them to you. You will have to wait ten days before you can pick them up. The exeptions to this are if any of the firearms are long guns over 50 years old. In that case, she can simply hand them to you. Any other type of transfer would probably be illegal.

03-15-2009, 3:04 PM
Assuming you and the friend's widow are both CA residents, then..

These guns are not yours yet. At this point you are simply borrowing them.

In order to get them into your name, you, the firearms, and the widow must meet at an FFL and have them transfered into your name. This is done by a Private Party Transfer (PPT) which will cost $35 for the first handgun ($32 for all subsequent, IIRC - haven't checked recently).

If any of these guns are banned by name or feature, you should not touch them.

03-15-2009, 7:18 PM
ok thank you. thats kind of what I was thinking but was hoping there would be ways around it.

03-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Make sure your all your ducks are in a row in terms of your CDL, HSC/exemption, and proof of residency before you go in to avoid wasting your/her time. It never hurts to call ahead to make sure you have everything you need to prevent you having to make return trips.

03-16-2009, 4:22 AM
Good Advice! These days gun shops are as crowded as a K-Mart blue light special (Do they have those anymore? Am I that old?:()


03-16-2009, 5:55 PM
If these were actually bequested to you in the estate, and you have a valid HSC card, you can just file papers with DOJ.

If probate ended/widow just getting rid of guns, then it has to go thru FFL as a PPT.

03-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Unless, of course, your friend gave them to you 20 years ago......