PDA

View Full Version : HomeDepot Sentry Safe

SIGarette
10-30-2005, 8:57 AM
Anyone have an opinion about the Sentry gun safe being sold at Home Depot? I think it is the model G5241.

Kestryll
10-30-2005, 9:40 PM
I'm not familiar with the model being sold by Home Depot however I have been very happy with my Sentry safe. It is not one of the fire resistant ones just burgler resistant but that is what Homeowners insurance is for.

ldivinag
10-31-2005, 3:11 AM
this a local HD? nothing about sentry gunsafe in their website...

kantstudien
10-31-2005, 3:17 AM
Just got one. It is great, pretty heavy though. Quite a ***** to move into the closet by yourself. :( Model number is G5241-2ST, and it cost me $360.46 out the door with a 10% off coupon I got from Citi Cards. To say it will hold 14 long guns is a bit optimistic, but I like it so far. :)

bu-bye
11-16-2005, 4:20 PM
Just got one. It is great, pretty heavy though. Quite a ***** to move into the closet by yourself. :( Model number is G5241-2ST, and it cost me $360.46 out the door with a 10% off coupon I got from Citi Cards. To say it will hold 14 long guns is a bit optimistic, but I like it so far. :)

Do you ahve any pics? :)

socalguns
11-17-2005, 12:48 AM
for kantstudien, Depends on how you load it, 14 long guns max.
If you put the shelves in you can only have 7 long guns.

Here it is
http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products.asp?r=21&s=144

Its unrated.
And probably the cheapest thing you can get called a safe.
It looks just like all their G(S)5xxx line of gun safes,
the other ones just use thicker steel and more insulation.

shopkeep
11-17-2005, 3:56 AM
Geez you actually made it into your closet? I couldn't even get it past my garage!

kantstudien
11-17-2005, 6:06 PM
Well, if you had 14 M1As, then it will be a extremely tight fit. On the corner racks, they are not wide enough to fit the handguards. And if you had (real) mags in the rifles, they would hit each other from opposite sides. I suppose it would be doable though.

I will try to get pics up eventually, I do not know how to work my new digital camera. And the trick to moving it was rocking it back and forth while dragging. Not too nice on the floor however. Good thing I rent! ;)

kantstudien
11-17-2005, 6:13 PM
Oh yeah, if you want 10% off, go to the post office and get the change of residence package and fill out the Home Depot card. If you can wait a few months, they will eventually mail you a coupon.

Inkman
11-19-2005, 1:34 PM
I'm ordering one next week. Not sure what model just yet, but likely one of the larger ones where i can safely store some other stuff too.

Nice website for Sentry safes btw...i like the find a dealer link. Saves alot of hassle looking for a place that sells em.

Al

spanky13
11-19-2005, 9:43 PM
Just picked one up $357 @Home Depot out the door......with shelf can only fit 4 long guns. But it works for me! Here's some pics

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/johneilbriones/IMG_0288.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/johneilbriones/IMG_0289.jpg

om221
11-25-2005, 1:32 AM
Just picked one up $357 @Home Depot out the door......with shelf can only fit 4 long guns. But it works for me! Here's some pics

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/johneilbriones/IMG_0288.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/johneilbriones/IMG_0289.jpg
Hello Spanky,Would you have any idea if the Home Depot up here in the Bay Area sell them?

kmca
11-25-2005, 9:01 AM
OM221,
I saw some of those safes at the Home Depot in Blossom Hill Home Depot, if that helps.

Good Luck,
Keith

spanky13
11-25-2005, 11:13 PM
Well if you got a Lowe's in town check them out....same safe for $297....if it wasnt a pain in the *** to move i'd return it to save $60.

om221
11-26-2005, 5:44 AM
OM221,
I saw some of those safes at the Home Depot in Blossom Hill Home Depot, if that helps.

Good Luck,
Keith
Thanks KMCA!

kantstudien
11-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Well if you got a Lowe's in town check them out....same safe for $297....if it wasnt a pain in the *** to move i'd return it to save $60.

Hey Spanky, what Lowes did you see Sentry safes at? The only ones I have seen at Lowes are small fire safes. I would drive to Thousand Oaks to save 60 bucks! :)

bluesky
11-30-2005, 7:05 AM
Turner's is having a sale... :D

http://www.turners.com/newsiteimages/holiday2005/page19.gif

spanky13
11-30-2005, 4:28 PM
Hey Spanky, what Lowes did you see Sentry safes at? The only ones I have seen at Lowes are small fire safes. I would drive to Thousand Oaks to save 60 bucks! :)

Saw the Lowes' ad the day before Thanksgiving, good luck!

Rule .308
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
You can get 14 guns in it but you will need to throw that cheezy carpet kit in the trash. I have two of them and I made racks for them that work well. A simple piece of 3/4" ply cut to the dimensions of the inside of the safe with 3 stagered rows of 2.5" holes works well.

ivanimal
12-05-2005, 1:49 AM
Try here (http://www.couponshare.com/coupons.asp?m=1198) for coupon sharing.

blacklisted
12-05-2005, 6:13 PM
Saw three of the 14 gun safes at the Fremont Home Depot today. They are near the exit, and I am not sure about the price.

wuhungsix
12-06-2005, 4:52 AM
Wally World carries these Sentry safes as well...not sure of the price but it is similar with Home Depot

1911_sfca
12-06-2005, 8:48 AM
I bought one of these at the Lowe's in San Bruno (SF Bay Area) for $197 about a year ago, and really like it a lot. Unfortunately, they stopped stocking them around here. The Home Depots I've been to in the area have a sentry safe, but it's a step down, without the shelving and a different type of lock. If I didn't have anything, I'd probably go for one of those.

SIGarette
12-07-2005, 11:06 PM
$197 at Lowes... What a steal. I saw one at the Lowes in Fremont for $397. It's the same model as shown on their website. It's just like the home depot model, but with some shelves for pistols.

1911_sfca
12-12-2005, 1:46 PM
$197 at Lowes... What a steal. I saw one at the Lowes in Fremont for $397. It's the same model as shown on their website. It's just like the home depot model, but with some shelves for pistols.

I just looked at the receipt, and noticed it was $297, not 197. Still a steal -- they went up for 397 shortly thereafter, and I don't think this Lowes (in San Bruno) carries them any more.

Inkman
12-13-2005, 3:34 PM
Just saw the Sentry Gun Safe at Home Depot model#G5241 for $369.99 at the one in Hercules. Seems like a good price for a simple gun safe, but i'm holding out for one that is fire rated. Looks like i'll need to order it and have it delivered.

The one at Home Depot only had one shelf and a lockbox. I need more shelf room.

Al

50 Freak
12-14-2005, 2:46 AM
Hello Spanky,Would you have any idea if the Home Depot up here in the Bay Area sell them?

Picked mine up at the Home Depot in Redwood City about a year ago. They had 5 in stock. They said they usually get them around Christmas.

I'll call all the Home Depots before going to any.

mr2.0
12-15-2005, 2:41 AM
I worked at HD for about 8 yrs now, They just gave us some 20% coupons as Christmas gifts, let me know if you need it, I can probably get some more.

elijah
12-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Folks,

Are these fire proof safes? or at least "fire lined" safes?

Inkman
12-15-2005, 4:25 PM
Folks,

Are these fire proof safes? or at least "fire lined" safes?

I saw nothing on the box to imply that they were fire rated. After looking at different models online, i've scraped the fire rated idea and am just gonna go for a good model that holds plenty of stuff. Main thing is that i don't want a decent thief or punk kids to be able to get my stuff.

Al

elijah
12-15-2005, 6:38 PM
Al, I thought they all come with fireproofing/firelined. I guess, it's better than the stack-on cabinets.

Thanks.

lazyman
12-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I just picked up a G2215 10 gun 3 combo safe. It's ohkay...... steel walls could be thicker.... but for 250 hey I can't complain, better than nothing. The dial on the safe seems to be plastic, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, bolting it down is a must as two people and a little work can carry this thing off. Beats the hell out of any gun cabinet.

Inkman
12-26-2005, 6:32 PM
Broke down and got the Sentry at Home Depot. Not the best and i can put my own shelfs in it, but cheap and will keep any punk from easily stealing my stuff and that was my main concern. I was getting really concerned about my guns, so bit the bullet and did what was needed.

Now to get the lovely lady of the household to make room in the bedroom for it. That is the biggest task i'm looking at.

BTW.....two of us almost broke our backs getting in the house...only a couple of really big dudes could move that mofo if they wanted to. That sucker is not the easiest of things to move...especially now with stuff in it.

Pics???

http://photobucket.com/albums/y284/Inkmanno1/Safe%20and%20toys/

Al

bluebaron
12-27-2005, 4:44 PM
Just been to Lowes to look at the Sentry Safes. Anyone know the difference between the E5251 and the G5251? All I could see was a different handle and color.

The E5241 is not listed on Sentry's website.

Inkman
12-28-2005, 5:35 AM
Just been to Lowes to look at the Sentry Safes. Anyone know the difference between the E5251 and the G5251? All I could see was a different handle and color.

The E5241 is not listed on Sentry's website.

I noticed when i browsed dealers online, many times the model number never matched EXACTLY the one on the mfgr's website. As in the same looking model in the pics had a different letter before the number, but the safe was described and looked exactly the same. hope that helps.

Al

NRAhighpowershooter
01-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Does anyone have the Home Depot SKU# I need it to get my local HD to order me 2 of them... Seems they only get them in only so often.. I have one now and need 2 more so I can get rid of my Homack's

thmpr
01-06-2006, 1:31 PM
There are 6 available at the Capital Expressway Home Depot in San Jose. I will be picking mine up on Sunday. This is the best I could find for the price. FYI, they have the G5251 model.

timmy8151
01-12-2006, 2:53 PM
I'm going to my local HD and Lowes this weekend. However, has anyone seen one of these Sentry's in a San Francisco area store?

Inkman
01-12-2006, 3:23 PM
I'm going to my local HD and Lowes this weekend. However, has anyone seen one of these Sentry's in a San Francisco area store?

Call around and see if they have any on the floor. 2 weeks before xmas, Walmart had a ton on different safes and after xmas they were all gone, but Home Depot in Hercules still had plenty of em.

Also make sure you have a large dolly like for a refrigerator to haul it in the house. I doubt you and some buds will be able to carry it in w/o one, unless you're just gonna slide/wrassle it into a garage.

Al

1911_sfca
01-21-2006, 3:00 AM
Also make sure you have a large dolly like for a refrigerator to haul it in the house. I doubt you and some buds will be able to carry it in w/o one, unless you're just gonna slide/wrassle it into a garage.

Since you're already at the home depot, why not just rustle up a couple of mexicans looking for work, and pay 3 of em 5 or 10 bucks each to help you move the thing inside.. worked for me.

Inkman
01-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Since you're already at the home depot, why not just rustle up a couple of mexicans looking for work, and pay 3 of em 5 or 10 bucks each to help you move the thing inside.. worked for me.

3 complete strangers coming into my house? Not gonna happen.

Al

socalguns
01-21-2006, 8:13 PM
You know all those guys hanging outside of home depot , with cellphones in their hands, looking for work? A big number of them are looking for stuff to steal. You gotta be careful.

Bingo
01-22-2006, 4:04 PM
This post has turned into a racial one, you have to give those guys credit , they want to work. You dont see any african americans standing out there looking for work.

AntiBubba 2.1
01-22-2006, 8:28 PM
I can't remember the model number, but with tax, it's $213!!

It's the Folsom Walmart, there were three of them. Mine is on layaway, until I figure out who's gonna help me get it up the stairs. :eek: It's only 185 lbs, so I might be able to manage it myself, but I'd rather not try.

Bobshouse
01-23-2006, 6:08 AM
Haha...reminds me of the clip on the Man's Show where they pick up the truckbed full of guys looking for work and drive to the immigration office. Those guys jump ship and haul butt when they see where there at! Wish I could find that clip...

Bob

caliar15
01-23-2006, 5:35 PM
This post has turned into a racial one, you have to give those guys credit , they want to work. You dont see any african americans standing out there looking for work.
Yea, but we don't live next to Africa do we?:rolleyes:

Josh
01-24-2006, 1:46 PM
I dont see how this was racial untill someone mentioned black people, but ok.

There is one 12 gun safe at the Buena Park store in OC, if you can try and get a floor model.

My buddy bought his 12gun fireproof model for the $10 more then my 10 gun plane jane. Of course his didnt come with the combo, had to call sentry to get that.

And if you have anoything other than lever actions and shotguns it will hold about 3-4 rifles less than stated capacity, of course I also have a .50 sitting in the back.

Ubergeek
01-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Choosing between the model carried by the Home Depot and the two carried by Lowes - I contacted Sentry and wanted to know what the differences were between the G5241 (14 gun model that Home Depot Sells), the G5251 (one of the 14 gun models that Lowes carries), and the E5251 (another 14 gun model that Lowes carries). The safe itself is identical throughout the 3 different models, however the G5251/E5251 comes with some shelves. According to the representative I talked to, the E5251 is exclusive to Lowes and aside from color, there's no difference between it and the G5251.

I decided to buy the E5251 this weekend. It's decent, but I thought I'd point out some annoyances (the first two might be confined to just the one I bought - might've been made on a Friday):

- the safe won't rest soundly on the floor (will wobble if you push it gently), it's even worse if you have it sitting atop carpeting. I stuck a shim beneath the front of the safe because I'm afraid the thing will fall over during an earthquake. I did bolt it to the floor, but the bolts themselves don't inspire much confidence in preventing the safe from falling over.

- the interior reeks of mothballs (might be a 'feature').

- it is possible for two physically unfit folks to move this up one flight of carpeted stairs (laid the safe on its side and pushed it up). It'll be difficult for two thieves to run off with the safe and 50-100 lbs of content, near impossible for one.

- these safes are made in China. I didn't realize this until after I unpacked it.

1911_sfca
01-25-2006, 11:37 PM
3 complete strangers coming into my house? Not gonna happen.
Guess you never had furniture / washer/dryer / fridge delivered or repairs made in your house?

Actually, I must admit, one of the Mexican dudes did ask me in spanish if I had anything to protect / insure the contents of the safe. I just stared at him, and said, this is a GUN safe. I protect it with my GUNS.

That was over a year ago, and I haven't had any problem with any of them coming back, so I think the message got accross. But I understand why you would be leary. I live in a high crime urban area, and that would be the least of my worries so it's no biggie for me personally..

Inkman
01-26-2006, 5:26 AM
[QUOTE=1911_sfca]Guess you never had furniture / washer/dryer / fridge delivered or repairs made in your house?[QUOTE]

Sure i have. Plus we usually have stuff delivered to the garage and bring it in ourselves. Except for the fridge, nothing was as heavy as that damn safe. But those people were not complete strangers with no way to contact their employer if something happened. You are talking about bringing complete strangers from off the street into your house to do something. Not for me thanks.

Al

Jicko
01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Isn't these SUPER HEAVY gun safes NOT being up upstairs? It would be a hazard for fire-fighters if there ever been a fire to your house.....

metalhead357
01-28-2006, 3:39 PM
Well, Guess I gotta be the bad guy:(

I think the Sentry Safes suck. Why you ask?
Simple, Go to a "real" safe company and ask about the Sentry ones. I've been "Decent" safe hunting for a long long time and have traversed from Extreme Norcal to Lower Bay area and talked with many a safe dealer. I KNOW THEY're TRYING TO SELL ME "THIER" product, I aint stoooopid, but they can often times show you product test charts, pics and what nots that are not available online...............

These are considered "Entry level" safes.

I considered this route (sentry and one other) about 8 years back. You are basically getting a MAX 30 min fire protection safe and Sides that are realisitcally NOT MUCH stronger than a Homak, Stack on, etc...save that its doubled.

HEYYYYYYYYYYYY, they ARE better than nothing. But they are Not the Bizz-nit of the Ferr-Shnit.
They will afford SOME protection (think a Stack on + 30 min of fire) but at what cost? I've seen some triple the price of a stack on..........

Just WHATEVER you do...dont be guiled into a false sense of "total" security from a Sentry. Over on one of the other boards I frequent there's a couple pics of Safes that have been peeled like an orange, another that they just cut the tops off and reached down/in and made off with the contents...........

Buyer beware & insure your guns

Metalhead

Inkman
01-30-2006, 2:20 PM
Metal...........you're not the bad guy. You are right that these safes are what i would term "entry level" safes. I just don't have the space for or want to spend thousands of $$s for a "real good" safe. For me it works fine and is much better than having the guns sitting in the closet where anybody could get em in mere minutes if they broke into the house. That is the only reason i have a safe now. If we lived in a perfect world, i wouldn't need one and the guns would be laying under a blanket in the bedroom to keep the dust off of em. Alas we don't live in such a place.

Al

Ratters
01-30-2006, 5:14 PM
Does anyone have the Home Depot SKU# I need it to get my local HD to order me 2 of them... Seems they only get them in only so often.. I have one now and need 2 more so I can get rid of my Homack's

If you are really going to get two of them just spend that money on one decent safe. Sam's Club has a model I think made by Amsec and usually with a gunmaker name like Winchester on it for $700 that is firelined, has a real lock, is made of thicker steel and will hold as much as two of the sentry safes. http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_shopping.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&n=0&mt=a&coe=0&oidPath=0:-23542:-44121:-47307:-47293:927816 $813 shipping included.
http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0078983086000_L4.jpg
http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0078983086000_L3.jpg

I think I might even get one of these as I'm out of room in my large 72x40x28 safe and my 14 gun Sentry.

metalhead357
01-30-2006, 8:33 PM
Metal...........you're not the bad guy. You are right that these safes are what i would term "entry level" safes. I just don't have the space for or want to spend thousands of $$s for a "real good" safe. For me it works fine and is much better than
Al

Ah Thank you:) and I'm Glad its working for you. I doooooo think a safe is a good thing; "almost" any safe is a good thing: and in that I Doooooo think the Sentry is an affordable and ok one~ provided the person understands there are both better and worse ones out there.........

Just whatever y'all do-- BOLT 'EM DOWN!!!!!!

Metalhead

AntiBubba 2.1
01-30-2006, 8:42 PM
An entry level Sentry is better then a gun cabinet.

A gun cabinet is better than hiding them under the bed.

Hiding them under the bed is better than using them to prop up the windows in the summer. :p

The Sentry is what I can afford, and relatively easily get into my rental apartment. And it will probably deter the snatch-and-grab crackheads.

I can live with that.

socalsteve
02-01-2006, 5:27 PM
The Costco and Sams Club safes are not much better than a sentry - they have 12 gauge sides & top. They are ALL entry level safes.

The easiest way to break into most safes is through the sides and or top. If they are only 10 or 12 gauge metal a fireaxe or a circular saw will cut right through.

Graffunder makes a good safe check their website and their weight and their prices! Amsec safes are good if you get the burglar rated safes (check their site - read the stats). Sturdy Safes in Fresno is also pretty good. These three in my opinion are much better than most.

Unless you spend thousands on a safe and get one with 1/4" "hardened" (not soft) steel you will have to somehow protect the sides and top from fireaxes and circular saws. That contruction guy who cuts concrete to re-pipe your plumbing can cut through 10 or 12 gauge steel like butter.

For $800+ for a winchester safe all you get is nicer paint and a better door & lock but the avg. guy who breaks into my middle class home doesn't know how to get through any safe lock...cheap or expensive. He can run a power saw or smash a sledge hammer onto an axe.

Guns safes are NOT good safes PERIOD unless you spend thousands...compare the thickness, weight, type of fireliner and burglar time rating. Those tell the facts all the rest is looks.

Bingo
02-01-2006, 7:49 PM
See my listing in firearms for sale,

i just got my new safe today , but cant afford it really! my apartment mgr wont let me keep it, hes afraid of liabilty issues.

odysseus
02-01-2006, 9:34 PM
Pretty much any safe you have for your home is vulnerable, but it is all about degrees. Most any attack will be brute force. Any of the high-end safes from my understanding require a skill to crack that most of the even professional burglarers don't have or time (on site) to deal with it. They will cut, burn, or blow into it - and if they can they will try to remove it to a location where they spend time with it. Yes the cheaper safes usually offer less strength, making it easier to breach the walls.

Your average smash and grab perp will not be able to get into most safes, for he likely wasn't counting on seeing it or bringing the heavy tools to get to it. However if someone bad knows about it, well that's another thing. Some things are better kept quiet and out of sight.

Security is about layers. So if you invest in a good home security system (might as well since you invest in firearms and safes) with call-out and battery back up, you will then also limit the time the hardened criminals will have. Might also prevent them from waiting around for you to show up to use brute force on you or someone with you to have you open it.

For $800+ for a winchester safe all you get is nicer paint and a better door & lock but the avg. guy who breaks into my middle class home doesn't know how to get through any safe lock...cheap or expensive. He can run a power saw or smash a sledge hammer onto an axe.

odysseus
02-01-2006, 9:36 PM
Bingo - what business is it of your apartment manager about you having a safe? Is it forbidden in the rental contract? What liability issues does he have? Why does he even know about it? Sounds like he knows you have firearms. Bad mojo...

i just got my new safe today , but cant afford it really! my apartment mgr wont let me keep it, hes afraid of liabilty issues.

metalhead357
02-01-2006, 9:36 PM

WT??????????

Whatya' mean HE's fraid of liability???? Tell him if HE's going to pay for all your weapons if they're gonna get stolen then you'll get rid of the safe(!)

Metalhead

odysseus
02-01-2006, 9:45 PM
I am not an expert in this, but having heard from a locksmith and "Safe engineer" of sorts on fire protection, he pretty much debunks the value of it in gun safes. His claim is they don't really offer much more protection from the interior temperature rising to terminal temperatures, but also often enough on many safes offering this the fire protection actually can make the safe less protective. Essentially it is about stuffing all the layers of insulation between the steel while at the same time trying to make a better forming home product for you and I. The main reason it's sold is to jack premium prices to for them, means bigger profit. He said better to spend that money on a more secure, better safe.

I considered this route (sentry and one other) about 8 years back. You are basically getting a MAX 30 min fire protection safe and Sides that are realisitcally NOT MUCH stronger than a Homak, Stack on, etc...save that its doubled.

socalsteve
02-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Just to clarify - I agree with Odysseus - and I have an "entry" level safe. I think it will stop the type of burglar that would be in my neighborhood.

If I lived in Beverly HIlls then maybe I would buy a $!0,000 safe.

For a good picture and advice on fireproofing check out Sturdy safes website.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

http://graffundersafes.com/multi.cfm

They have a picture of one of their safes standing in a burnt down house - click on the firesafes area.

I'd love to have a Graffunder or an Amsec burglary rated safe but the price (if I remember right over $5,000) is just too much for me.

I'll probably get another safe this year and I'll be comparing the Sturdy Safes with fireliner to one of the local safe manufacturers in the LA area. You really have to ask questions and do reasearch to get a good safe.

AntiBubba 2.1
02-15-2006, 5:31 PM
While at Wallyworld yesterday, I saw the Sentry safe I'd put in layaway for $200, on Clearance for $99.98! Suffice to say I grabbed it. It lists on the Sentry site at $433.

I'm not worried about professionals; I just want to stop the crackheads and tweakers-and I don't want to have to buy a dang gunlock every single time. If I ever buy a house I'll get a better safe, but living in a second story rental, this is adequate.

Inkman
02-15-2006, 6:50 PM
While at Wallyworld yesterday, I saw the Sentry safe I'd put in layaway for $200, on Clearance for $99.98! Suffice to say I grabbed it. It lists on the Sentry site at $433.

I'm not worried about professionals; I just want to stop the crackheads and tweakers-and I don't want to have to buy a dang gunlock every single time. If I ever buy a house I'll get a better safe, but living in a second story rental, this is adequate.

Exactly. Much better than leaving them in the closet where a GBr can find em and be off in no time to snip the little gun lock we all are supposed to have on them to protect the world with. Peace of mind when i'm out of the house in my book.

Al

EvolutionGSR
02-15-2006, 7:26 PM

Can anyone tell me which walmart this is? I want one too,

Wumpscut223
02-15-2006, 8:54 PM
I'm in the sacramento area and can't find any entry level safes stocked anywhere. I'm not looking to pay gunstore prices... yet. Local ideas?

accordingtoome
02-15-2006, 9:01 PM
had mine for a year.. same model.. after you bolt it to the floor its not going anywhere.. i only have a crappy pic of it but here you go :D

JeepRescueService14
02-16-2006, 6:03 PM
Noooo! Don't buy the one from home depot.. I bought it a year ago and had 1 rilfe and a shotty to put in there.. Now its full and I cant fit anything in there anymore.
Blasted tiny ***** Safe... I love my guns

AntiBubba 2.1
02-16-2006, 8:51 PM
Sorry, I grabbed the last one, unless the other one on hold wasn't picked up. The Rancho Cordova store. The one I had on layaway for $200 was at the Folsom store; it might still be there.

Bobshouse
02-21-2006, 7:21 PM

Check your rental agreement, if it doesn't say "no safe allowed" buy it and roll it in your apartment. If he puts up a stink, report him to the housing authority.

He sounds like a true idiot. Type up a letter for him to sign explaining you have been denied a safe and hold him responsible for any missing guns or dead occupants, tell him its for liability issues.

Bob

plastidip
02-27-2006, 9:56 PM
I bought one of the 14 gun sentry safes from HD about 6 months ago for $100. It had been dropped on its top front corner and the weld was broken. I tore out the felt covered drywall, bought some 1.5" angle iron, welded up the corner, reinforced the walls with the angle iron in such a way as they will serve as height guides for pouring concrete into the sides... I've bought a real lock for it as well... the main thing I'm waiting for is it to stop raining so I can pour a side, wait 24 hrs, repeat. Then comes the real fun, redoing the boltwork.

I like safes and have always wanted to build one. I was designing one before I bought the sentry. So far it has served well as the skin for a really nice safe.

-Liam

PS

One person can easily move the stock safe with a furniture dolly (4 wheels, made of hardwood 2x4s, covered in carpet), you just tip it onto its back with the dolly under it. Tight corners require lifting it back up and turning it on a corner...

Eastbayguy
03-02-2006, 12:43 PM
My Liberty safe that came 4 days ago with not working Lock had "Made in China"
on the back.
So, I sent it back!

Eastbayguy
03-02-2006, 3:32 PM
Wow, that's funny. Coulda swore Utah was in the US. :rolleyes:
Yep, it was delivered from Utah and Liberty, Utah was on the all paperwork.
Just a smal label with "Made in China".

30LPI
03-14-2006, 4:48 PM
I got the HD/Sentry safe a few months back because it fit my needs at the time. When I got the thing home, I decided to put it in the bedroom instead of in my office where it could be more visable.

All was fine until I opened the door.

The glue they use on the inside lining is the most foul smelling substance known to man. I'm sure you could rob a 7/11 with it. It took me 7 full days (8-10 hours per day) of using fans to get that smell to a point where we can stand to be in the bedroom. Apparently, they build 'em, glue up the inerds and seal 'em up pretty quick so the glue smell never gets a chance to disapate.

When I first noticed it, I called Sentry and their customer support rep told me they had no less the 10 different safe models brought in to their call center so reps could quickly identify parts, problems and what not - she said they took two weeks using industrial grade fans to get the place aired out - whew!

Bottom line: Pump plenty of fresh air into the safe, use anything you want to cover the smell but don't expect it to go away anytime soon. Its been 4 months and I still get the occasional waft of bad safe stank!

Ken4
03-21-2006, 1:15 PM
Does anyone know if HD has any more Sentry safes left in the Fremont/San Jose area?

QuickOnTheDraw
03-25-2006, 9:31 AM
I just picked one up in Concord near Walnut creek. They had at least 5 left last week. $369.99, $401.00 with tax. Not sure if thats to far for you though!

Shane916
03-26-2006, 12:41 AM
I went to the local Wal-Mart's and Home Depot as well as Lowe's and found 0 Gun safes for sale :(

Stevil
03-27-2006, 1:49 AM
The Home Depot at Truxel & I-80 has one, saw it today. :)

Shane916
04-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Dang, went out there a few days after you posted that and they only had the smaller sentry safes :(

Nismo
05-07-2006, 1:39 AM
I just came back from Home Depot in Merced and they had about 10 of the Sentry 14 gun safes in stock and I believe they are around $369. Im most likely going to pick one up tommorow.

I also checked out the Lowels in Merced and they also carried 3 different kinds of Sentry safes, one is just like the Home depot model except it was $100 more but it included the extra shelving. The other model is the same except it had the fire rating. There was a bigger model with electronic lock ect. but it was around $800 or so.

Lambchop
05-07-2006, 5:52 PM
I bought one from the home depot in san ramon yesterday for $401.55 out the door. They had three more in the back.

Nismo
05-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Just came back from HD for my safe. Took 4 of us to load it and 3 of us to unload and move into the closet. Any suggestions on how to make a shelf for the inside? I also bought a battery operated florescent light bar to stick inside but havent figured out where to mount it yet so I just stuck it in the bungee cord thing on the door.

Can't buy anything here
05-08-2006, 5:32 PM
My local Lowes didn't have the Sentry in stock but they ordered it for me...397.00 plus tax...it's the 5251 model...332 pounds...not fire rated but a pretty good deal...I'm just gonna throw an evadry inside for added protection..they work pretty well....

Nismo
05-10-2006, 7:55 PM
Now that I have the safe all done and loaded up here are some pics. Notice that I made my own shelf since mine didnt come with one. Came out pretty good I think.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/404355.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/404354.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/404353.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/404352.jpg

One tip to get rid of the nasty mothball smell is before you even bring the safe in the house, open the door and remove the several bags of dessicants, put them all in a ziplock bag and dump them in the trash outside! Those are what is causing the nausiating stench. After I did that, the smell is gone within a few days. If you have one of those ionic breeze things then that also helps a lot.

30LPI
05-14-2006, 9:31 AM
Nice job on the shelves! You've inspired me to do the same thing...

50 Freak
05-15-2006, 12:50 AM
Where do you put all the rifles????

I bought a 14 gun Sentry safe, and I don't have enough room. Most likely I'll be selling it in the next month or two so I can buy a bigger safe.

Nismo
05-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Its true, rifle wise its small but I dont have enough yet to be an issue. I bought this safe as a temporary safe until I can afford something much bigger and fire rated.

xenophobe
05-25-2006, 5:19 PM
I just got one of these, as I needed one that would fit at an end of my closet... 14 gun is a bit of a stretch... I could only fit about 12 in there, really cramped...

But it wasn't a bad deal for $400 out the door.

Unknownassailant
05-25-2006, 5:43 PM
I feel bad for you guys who are buying these safes from Home Depot because for a few hundred dollars more you can get much bigger and better. I got a 1000 lb'r with pistol hooks, 26 rifle capacity w/ electronic safe & dehumidifier, fire rated @ 1400 for 45 mins for a grand w/ tax delivered. Dimensions is like 73x27x36. The maker is Homeland Security and they sell safes at the Costa Mesa show. It's a real bargain if you buy the ones at the show because they would rather get rid of them there rather than bring them all back.

QuickOnTheDraw
05-25-2006, 7:15 PM
I feel bad for you guys who are buying these safes from Home Depot because for a few hundred dollars more you can get much bigger and better. I got a 1000 lb'r with pistol hooks, 26 rifle capacity w/ electronic safe & dehumidifier, fire rated @ 1400 for 45 mins for a grand w/ tax delivered. Dimensions is like 73x27x36. The maker is Homeland Security and they sell safes at the Costa Mesa show. It's a real bargain if you buy the ones at the show because they would rather get rid of them there rather than bring them all back.
I bought one becuase it fit my price point in my gun budget. However, it doesn't fit all my guns, way to cramped. I plan on selling it when I upgrade to something fire rated and larger capacity. There is a big difference between $400.00 and $1000.00, but I agree for a few hundred more bucks you can get a better safe. Many of us just can't afford the higher end safe's so we have to make due with the cheaper one's until we can afford what we really want. Homeland Security safe's are nice and worth the money, I just need to save some money and quit buying more guns!

Unknownassailant
05-26-2006, 12:23 AM
I bought one becuase it fit my price point in my gun budget. However, it doesn't fit all my guns, way to cramped. I plan on selling it when I upgrade to something fire rated and larger capacity. There is a big difference between $400.00 and $1000.00, but I agree for a few hundred more bucks you can get a better safe. Many of us just can't afford the higher end safe's so we have to make due with the cheaper one's until we can afford what we really want. Homeland Security safe's are nice and worth the money, I just need to save some money and quit buying more guns!

I know the salesguy pretty well, we talk everytime I'm there. I'll be at the next show in like 2 weeks, if you want to score a deal let me know I'll talk to him for ya :D

xenophobe
05-26-2006, 5:05 AM

Wow... so you feel bad for me. That's nice. How can I fit a 73"x27"x36" 1000lb fire rated safe in a 22"x18" space? I'm all ears. :p

bwiese
05-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Wow... so you feel bad for me. That's nice. How can I fit a 73"x27"x36" 1000lb fire rated safe in a 22"x18" space? I'm all ears. :p

Simple. Put it in your living room/dining area.

That's what I did.

Omega13device
05-26-2006, 11:36 AM

I am getting a little tired of people criticizing safe choices because someone's safe is "not as good". All safes are vulnerable and this is old news. Bigger safes are not necessarily better - a lot of them use 12 gauge steel that can be hacked through with an axe. That's old news too. If a someone wants to buy a cheaper safe for whatever reason that's his choice.

Unknownassailant
05-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I am getting a little tired of people criticizing safe choices because someone's safe is "not as good". All safes are vulnerable and this is old news. Bigger safes are not necessarily better - a lot of them use 12 gauge steel that can be hacked through with an axe. That's old news too. If a someone wants to buy a cheaper safe for whatever reason that's his choice.

For the record, mine is 10 guage. :D But getting a bigger safe is the best solution to an overcrowded gun collection, and is a more a logical solution than storing guns outside the safe only because you ran out of room.

Cheers

CALI-gula
05-26-2006, 12:36 PM
All of you are fools. Don't you know that all you really need to end crime and firearm theft is a trigger lock? The California legislature surely understands this, and it is the very reason they require it for a firearm sale.

Sure, if you have a safe, you don't need to buy the lock - and the safe affidavit saves you the $5.00 to $8.00 per firearm for a trigger lock.

Oh, I suppose if you have an average small-numbered, limited collection, you might have about 50 pistols and 20 rifles. Now, if you had to buy a trigger lock for every one of those guns, with an average price of $7.00 each, you would have spent $490.00 on trigger locks for your collection; but in your penny-wise plan, you fully know it's a payment plan for your piece of mind, right?

You of course know that trigger locks are more than enough security. Any reasonably minded thief that finds a gun with a trigger lock on it is easily and quickly to come to the conclusion that the firearm is useless without his being able to remove the trigger lock. He will then surely say to himself "Pshaw... foiled! I should be found a cad and a fop, if I should waste my course on the futility of boondoggling a firearm with this bloody preventative device - curse that California legislature and their arrogance of putting my work to its end!!" and he will proceed to your kitchen to grab your set of Henckels cutlery instead; lucky for him, they don't have blade locks.

So all of you wasting your money on safes, of any make or model, are simply being foolish. Trigger locks are the way to go, so sayeth the Assemblymen and Senators of this Great Golden State!

I just hope you have a big enough key-chain.

taloft
05-26-2006, 1:02 PM
LMAO CALI-gula, that is the funniest thing I've read so far today.

Cobrarlc
05-26-2006, 1:26 PM
Trigger locks are the best thing since sliced bread.

Omega13device
05-26-2006, 5:48 PM
If you get a gift receipt at the time you purchase your trigger lock, you can return it later. :D

xenophobe
05-26-2006, 7:08 PM
Simple. Put it in your living room/dining area.

That's what I did.

And I'd like to put a big sign on my roof that says "BIG HUGE SAFE, COME TAKE A LOOK!" lol

I've always preferred the covert/inconspicuous look in my house of not seeing firearms or safes strewn about. I think that would be a bit of a giveaway. ;)

Chris M
05-20-2008, 8:55 AM
I just bought one of these safes last weekend. I'm happy with it. It's much better than what I had...a gun case. I only have 4 guns, and I don't plan on having many more. If I had a larger collection, or rare/expensive firearms, then I'd go for something like a Sturdy Safe.

Two Shots
05-20-2008, 9:03 AM
I have one and it's not bad at all, Just on the small size, If you go muzzle down + the 14 butt down you can get more in. Make sure you anchor it to the floor and wall. And the size is perfect for the closet.

Chris M
05-20-2008, 10:00 AM
I have one and it's not bad at all, Just on the small size, If you go muzzle down + the 14 butt down you can get more in. Make sure you anchor it to the floor and wall. And the size is perfect for the closet.

Already anchored to the floor. Due to the positioning, I couldn't anchor it to a stud in the wall.

Got10/22?
08-18-2009, 6:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up johndefresno. I was looking into purchasing a gun safe.

Lancear15
08-18-2009, 8:11 AM
I have a sentry safe a couple models up from that one. I found the same model at Lowes and home depot and asked to speak with managers at both stores for discounts/display items/CC sign up discounts. After going to both stores twice I was able to get 30% off and Lowes.

Lancear15
08-18-2009, 8:16 AM
^^^ the info above certainly does not apply to the safe I bought. The door and steal housing is quite thick and I have taken the back of the door off to look at the locking mechanisms and it is robust. I would spend the little extra cash and upgrade to a higher end sentry safe.

SLO_Ryan
08-24-2009, 8:53 PM
I went looking for John's other thread, with the pictures, and found it.

Here it is, for those that are interested.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19562

fevillago
08-24-2009, 10:51 PM

the page is blank. Maybe you can copy the pictures for us.

G-Man WC
08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
It suits my purpose for a garage quick access when bolted down. -g

odysseus
08-24-2009, 11:08 PM

Site has some issue when trying to display pages both in Firefox and IE.